Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,406 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:33 AM

Rice Farmers Meet Here - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Rice Farmers Meet Here (27220 Views)

Buhari Set To Launch N20bn Loan For Rice Farmers On Tuesday / To All Rice Farmers - Tested Solution For Bird Menace....at Long Lasts!!! / Without Offtakers, Niger Rice Farmers Rue Bumper Harvest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by kheart(m): 2:20pm On Oct 27, 2017
Olaimam2:
what are the best seeds for upland rice,the period and type of fertilizer that rice required to do well

I think Faro 44 is good for upland
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by oluwagarcy: 2:32pm On Oct 27, 2017
Sir [quote author=kheart post=61822971]

Faro 44, is basically a lowland variety and it will only do well on hydromorphic soil (lowland soil type) . Uplands varieties that would do well is Nerica 8 or FARO 59. you can contact me on 08064558707 for everything that is needed to successful grow rice.

3 Likes

Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by kheart(m): 2:44pm On Oct 27, 2017
feran15:
good afternoon, i am a student and i hope to go into rice farming next year by God's grace and would like to know exactly how much i wwould need to cultivate one hectare and the profit to be made. i have searched nairaland and have seen some ridiculous quotations such as making about 900k from just 100k investment. thanks in advance for your reply.

cc: Mount1ng zimoni jidowu84

Thank God you said ridiculous quotations, rice production is capital intensive.
1. Land Clearing 30(pple) 2,500 - 75,000
2 Ploughing and Harrowing 30,000
3 Seed Dressing 1,000
4 Planter operated Transplanting 2(pple) 2,500 - 5,000
5 Fertilizer Application (x2) 2 2,500 5,000
6 Herbicide Application (x2) 2 2,000. 4,000
7 Pesticide application 2 2,000
8 Nursery Preparation 15(pple) 1,000 15,000
9 Harvesting, Threshing & Bagging 6(pple) 12,000
TOTAL 149,000
This is just the casual labour on your farm, we have not talked about inputs (fertilizer, chemicals etc), operation cost and equipments.

Projections: 4 tonnes in a hectar and 1 tonne is about 160k.
Note: I am also preparing to start next year but I have mentors who re guiding me. I hope this ll help and i wish u best of luck

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by kheart(m): 2:50pm On Oct 27, 2017
oluwagarcy:
Sir

Do you sell rice farming equipments?
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by feran15(m): 3:08pm On Oct 27, 2017
kheart:

3 Seed Dressing 1,000
TOTAL 149,000
This is just the casual labour on your farm, we have not talked about inputs (fertilizer, chemicals etc), operation cost and equipments.

Note: I am also preparing to start next year but I have mentors who re guiding me. I hope this ll help and i wish u best of luck

thank you for your feed back i hope you would update us here on nairaland on your progress so we can learn as you go by. if i may ask, what about protection from birds?
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by kheart(m): 8:49pm On Oct 28, 2017
feran15:

thank you for your feed back i hope you would update us here on nairaland on your progress so we can learn as you go by. if i may ask, what about protection from birds?

I think using net works better.
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by feran15(m): 4:55am On Oct 29, 2017
kheart:

how much does netting cost?
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by mount1ng(m): 7:03pm On Oct 31, 2017
kheart:

How big is the farm? Can you imagine cover 6 plots (one arce) or 12.47 plots (one hectare). Hope you are not just reading academic farming. Hmmm, no be beans ooo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by Dolypson04(m): 9:29pm On Dec 16, 2017
kheart:

3 Seed Dressing 1,000
TOTAL 149,000

Thanks for been honest. I am also going into rice farming by next year. Pls can I have ur contact so that we can rub minds?
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by salisy: 4:50pm On Dec 30, 2017
Bird force can protect against birds
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by feran15(m): 2:41pm On Jan 14, 2018
salisy:
Bird force can protect against birds
Bird force?
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by salisy: 5:50pm On Jan 14, 2018
feran15:
Bird force?
You can google it for more info
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by succes1: 10:54am On Jan 30, 2018
kheart:

3 Seed Dressing 1,000
TOTAL 149,000

Good morning Sir. I sent you a message regarding this. I'm anticipating your reply. Thanks a lot. Have a nice day
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by SLYSIM: 3:19pm On Feb 02, 2018
Wow, Thank God this thread exists. Have been looking for like-minded individuals to rub mind together on rice farming.
Want to commend kheart for explicit work done on the labour cost, but think most of the activities are now mechanized.
Like bush clearing can be done by spraying non-selective herbicides (Paraforce, Round up, Force up, Gobara, tackle, Nwura wura, Bush clear are not bad options as far as u get the original ones and sold bw N1,500-2,5000, per a bottle/litre,)
Tractor can be used to do the plough and harrow @ the rate of N7,000-8,000 per a hectare for either of plough or harrow.
Seed spraying method has been proven ok and cheaper than nursery and transplanting method. stands to be corrected anyway.
Any one around southeast can hala me lets synergize, i heared that FADAMA will dish out huge loans for farmers this year.
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by Cote: 1:43pm On Feb 03, 2018
I just recently started rice farming. Irrigation rice farming since we are in dry season. Looking at this thread,i cant help but laugh. Most of the things i read here is far from the truth especially concerning capital needed to start. I am at the nursey stage of rice farming waiting to transplant. My oldest nursery is about 10days old. Anyway, if considering rice farming, unless you have alot of money; go manual rather than mechanical. And be involved in ALL the process. From clearing the farm land to planting and fertilizers. Why i say some of the information isnt correct is that, when you are doing irrigation farming expect to spend more money than someone who would depend on rain water but the benefit is that you get to plant year round. In my case i dug a bore hole and installed irrigation channels. RIce farming is labour intensive. I am starting small as an experiment on about 5-6 plots of land excluding nursery. Would keep you guys updated as i go on. i actually came here looking for the best techniques of bird repellant. i might go for a combination method.

1 Like

Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by feran15(m): 4:27pm On Feb 04, 2018
Cote:
I just recently started rice farming. Irrigation rice farming since we are in dry season. Looking at this thread,i cant help but laugh. Most of the things i read here is far from the truth especially concerning capital needed to start. I am at the nursey stage of rice farming waiting to transplant. My oldest nursery is about 10days old. Anyway, if considering rice farming, unless you have alot of money; go manual rather than mechanical. And be involved in ALL the process. From clearing the farm land to planting and fertilizers. Why i say some of the information isnt correct is that, when you are doing irrigation farming expect to spend more money than someone who would depend on rain water but the benefit is that you get to plant year round. In my case i dug a bore hole and installed irrigation channels. RIce farming is labour intensive. I am starting small as an experiment on about 5-6 plots of land excluding nursery. Would keep you guys updated as i go on. i actually came here looking for the best techniques of bird repellant. i might go for a combination method.

We await your updates
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by SLYSIM: 9:39am On Feb 08, 2018
No information provided here is far from the truth as u claimed.
At least Kheart itemized the necessary things and steps which whoever that wants to engage in rice farming can verify.
There are many factors that can determine the amount to be spent in rice farming. what you spend in cultivating rice in upland plots wouldn't be the same with what u spend in any of the Authority plots. And location matters too, For us here, we have Anambra Imo River Basin plots whose irrigation has not been working for a long time, so rice farming are cultivated once in a year unlike some upland plots where one can make provision for artificial irrigation (at extra cost) and cultivates 2 times in a year.
Bush clearing to the best of my knowledge is a waste of time and resources because 4 tubes (or less) of non-selective chemical can do the work perfectly and the grass can be part of your manure.
Some land needs fewer bags of fertilizer, in some case 2 bags of NPK 15-15-15 for 1 Hectare (called 1 plot in my area).
Rice farming is capital intensive I agree, but anyone with interest can start with small land, say 1 hectare and expand over time afterall the whole money is not spent at once. It stretches to five months from plough (tilling) to harvesting stages.
On your nursery, i couldn't remember the last time we used nursery here and our yields have been quite great, just spray your rice well and do machine harrowing(if u wish) and your rice will germinate. no transplanting expenses is necessary.
Cote:
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by Cote: 2:36pm On Feb 09, 2018
1hecter is not small. Thats not starting small. 1 hectare = 2 and half Acre . There are 8 100by50 plots of land in 1 Acre. So basicly 21 plots of land each measuring 100 by 50 =1hecter. How would a beginer manage this size it? For me, starting small would be planting on a 400by 400 piece of farm land and see as you do and preparing heavy for your next sowing.I digress, that i have choosen to go with nursery is to improve yield because i have seen that some farmers still practise direct seeding instead of nursery and transplanting even though there have been several evidence that have shown that transplanting actually imporves yield.i.e it is difficult to control weed with direct seeding.Poor weed controll=serious yield loss and also rice populace is guaranteed with firm root instead of being too packed in the direct seeding method. Any way, i was speaking to someone today and he says i should watchout for grasscutters? That, it is a pest to rice. Has anyone experienced it? an how was this controlled?

SLYSIM:
No information provided here is far from the truth as u claimed.
At least Kheart itemized the necessary things and steps which whoever that wants to engage in rice farming can verify.
There are many factors that can determine the amount to be spent in rice farming. what you spend in cultivating rice in upland plots wouldn't be the same with what u spend in any of the Authority plots. And location matters too, For us here, we have Anambra Imo River Basin plots whose irrigation has not been working for a long time, so rice farming are cultivated once in a year unlike some upland plots where one can make provision for artificial irrigation (at extra cost) and cultivates 2 times in a year.
Bush clearing to the best of my knowledge is a waste of time and resources because 4 tubes (or less) of non-selective chemical can do the work perfectly and the grass can be part of your manure.
Some land needs fewer bags of fertilizer, in some case 2 bags of NPK 15-15-15 for 1 Hectare (called 1 plot in my area).
Rice farming is capital intensive I agree, but anyone with interest can start with small land, say 1 hectare and expand over time afterall the whole money is not spent at once. It stretches to five months from plough (tilling) to harvesting stages.
On your nursery, i couldn't remember the last time we used nursery here and our yields have been quite great, just spray your rice well and do machine harrowing(if u wish) and your rice will germinate. no transplanting expenses is necessary.
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by Cote: 2:56pm On Feb 09, 2018
Very intrested in the FADAMA loan.please give me headsup when anything starts. Thank you.

SLYSIM:
Wow, Thank God this thread exists. Have been looking for like-minded individuals to rub mind together on rice farming.
Want to commend kheart for explicit work done on the labour cost, but think most of the activities are now mechanized.
Like bush clearing can be done by spraying non-selective herbicides (Paraforce, Round up, Force up, Gobara, tackle, Nwura wura, Bush clear are not bad options as far as u get the original ones and sold bw N1,500-2,5000, per a bottle/litre,)
Tractor can be used to do the plough and harrow @ the rate of N7,000-8,000 per a hectare for either of plough or harrow.
Seed spraying method has been proven ok and cheaper than nursery and transplanting method. stands to be corrected anyway.
Any one around southeast can hala me lets synergize, i heared that FADAMA will dish out huge loans for farmers this year.
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by SLYSIM: 9:02am On Feb 13, 2018
@Cote
You can stick to the nursery and transplanting if the difference is very significant in your location. On the weed control after planting, Ricepro, Sparmine and other good selective herbicides can help a lot and contain propanol and 2-4-D (or so) which help to enrich the farm with manure after killing the weeds. It have been our dependable choice here.
Starting small has a varied meaning to different individuals. The fact is that rice farming needs commitment at every stage. On the FADAMA loan, I will contact you once anything comes up, though i am perceiving a lot of irregularities as usual with government activities.
Cote:
1hecter is not small. Thats not starting small. 1 hectare = 2 and half Acre . There are 8 100by50 plots of land in 1 Acre. So basicly 21 plots of land each measuring 100 by 50 =1hecter. How would a beginer manage this size it? For me, starting small would be planting on a 400by 400 piece of farm land and see as you do and preparing heavy for your next sowing.I digress, that i have choosen to go with nursery is to improve yield because i have seen that some farmers still practise direct seeding instead of nursery and transplanting even though there have been several evidence that have shown that transplanting actually imporves yield.i.e it is difficult to control weed with direct seeding.Poor weed controll=serious yield loss and also rice populace is guaranteed with firm root instead of being too packed in the direct seeding method. Any way, i was speaking to someone today and he says i should watchout for grasscutters? That, it is a pest to rice. Has anyone experienced it? an how was this controlled?

1 Like

Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by Cote: 1:08pm On Feb 13, 2018
Thank alot @slysim. your input is valued. I am currently noticing some yellowing of the leaves in my nursery. the nursery is almost 21days old ready for transplanting in a few days. I havent added any fertilizer to it yet. Any idea what i can do to arrest this yellowing?its not a significant portion but some tiny patches.
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by SLYSIM: 12:48pm On Feb 15, 2018
Thanks@Cote
Many things can contribute to this leave yellowing, the chief ones are
i. Shadding/Oxygen starvation- As the rice mature, the botton leaves get heavily shaded and naturally turn yellow as they age. If it is this, then there is no problem as it will soon disappear when you transplant to the field and they will get enough air circulation.
ii. Fungus- If this is the cause, you will see small circular brown lessions on the leaves as well. The spots eventually become larger. You can refer to appropriate chemical to fight this.
iii. Low Nitrogen or Potassium – If the Nitrogen or Potassium level is too low, yellow will occur. Nitrogen deficiency shows up as a general yellowing on the entire rice plant. Potassium deficiency will appear as bright yellow leave margins on the green leaves. You can apply fertilizer before or after transplanting from the nursery at your discretion.
iv. Low magnesium – Interveinal yellowing on older leaves is from low magnesium. If this is what you discovered, spray magnesium sulphate (Epsom salt) on the rice.
Still looking for solution to grasscutter problems here, I am afraid of using the chemical they said it scares it, before it will destroy my rice. In case you come across any solution, let me know pls.
Gud luck.

Cote:
Thank alot @slysim. your input is valued. I am currently noticing some yellowing of the leaves in my nursery. the nursery is almost 21days old ready for transplanting in a few days. I havent added any fertilizer to it yet. Any idea what i can do to arrest this yellowing?its not a significant portion but some tiny patches.

1 Like

Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by easyson: 4:31pm On Feb 21, 2019
kheart:

3 Seed Dressing 1,000
TOTAL 149,000

How was ur farm activity last year...
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by gabrielokeke555(m): 12:42pm On Mar 08, 2019
Boost your Rice production with micro-nutrients fertilizers; Borax (11% Boron), Manganese Sulphate (32% Mn) and Zinc sulphate (35% Zn).

Contact us at Afri-Agri Products Ltd for these fertilizers to increase your rice yield and quality.
Our office is located at No. 4 MetalBox Road, Off Acme Road, Ogba Industrial Scheme, Ikeja.
Call us on 07066935103, 08132253414 or +234 1 295 8045

Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by kyriannelson(m): 10:51pm On Aug 28, 2019
please what is the best post emergence herbicide to use for rice
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by ikelords(m): 8:31am On Aug 29, 2019
Is there any rice farmer in the south east, pls I want to understudy rice farming from you.
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by ikelords(m): 12:00am On Feb 13, 2020
SLYSIM:
Thanks@Cote
Many things can contribute to this leave yellowing, the chief ones are
i. Shadding/Oxygen starvation- As the rice mature, the botton leaves get heavily shaded and naturally turn yellow as they age. If it is this, then there is no problem as it will soon disappear when you transplant to the field and they will get enough air circulation.
ii. Fungus- If this is the cause, you will see small circular brown lessions on the leaves as well. The spots eventually become larger. You can refer to appropriate chemical to fight this.
iii. Low Nitrogen or Potassium – If the Nitrogen or Potassium level is too low, yellow will occur. Nitrogen deficiency shows up as a general yellowing on the entire rice plant. Potassium deficiency will appear as bright yellow leave margins on the green leaves. You can apply fertilizer before or after transplanting from the nursery at your discretion.
iv. Low magnesium – Interveinal yellowing on older leaves is from low magnesium. If this is what you discovered, spray magnesium sulphate (Epsom salt) on the rice.
Still looking for solution to grasscutter problems here, I am afraid of using the chemical they said it scares it, before it will destroy my rice. In case you come across any solution, let me know pls.
Gud luck.

Am into rice farming in the south east, can we link up to share ideas? Cc: Cote
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by faetth: 11:52am On Feb 17, 2020
kyriannelson:
please what is the best post emergence herbicide to use for rice
We have nominee gold and Actrox
For more inquiries and purchase call 08112940846

Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by oluwagarcy: 2:27pm On Feb 27, 2020
ORYZOPLUS IS VERY GREAT ALSO
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by pbenjamin: 9:50pm On Apr 19, 2020
Pls, what is the current price of rice per ton?
In Benue and Nasarawa.
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by tonee1: 5:22pm On Aug 21, 2020
mount1ng:

How big is the farm? Can you imagine cover 6 plots (one arce) or 12.47 plots (one hectare). Hope you are not just reading academic farming. Hmmm, no be beans ooo

Can I have Ur contact bro??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Guide To Exporting Palm Oil, Palm Kernel Oil And Palm Kernel Shells From Nigeria / Latest Prices Of Day Old Broilers, Pullets,turkeys & Cockerels. / Gift Udoh: US Honours Nigerian Lady For Contribution Towards Farming [photo]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.