Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,414 members, 7,781,202 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:36 AM

African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge - Fashion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge (42808 Views)

Say No To Bleaching... "Black Is Beautiful" (pix) / "black Is Beautiful" Black Fashion Models Who Are Making It! / ***Hair For African Women*** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by Ishilove: 9:56pm On Jul 20, 2014
CityNG:

Sorry, what does biko mean?
Huh? Are you a Nigerian? undecided

Don't fret. My post was a joke. 'Na you biko' is pidgin for 'you're the bossman, or 'na you dey reign'

2 Likes

Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by Darteyyyy(m): 9:57pm On Jul 20, 2014
Ladybluecash: Talk abt bleaching, talk abt yorubas. Dem tooo much for bleachin bizness

Are you trying to start a tribal e-war?
Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by rexzqcom(m): 9:57pm On Jul 20, 2014
chulla12: Black people are the subjects of social programming and they don't know it. The media attaches racial consciousness into everything Black people do. Why is that?

Why is it that this stigma of "self-hatred" does not follow white people who tan and get implants, dye their hair blonde when natural blondes are a minority in the white population?

Why doesn't this stigma follow Asians who get eyelid surgery, whose ladies marry white men in record numbers?

Why doesn't this stigma follow Indians who practice skin color casting and bleach their skin?

Why doesn't this stigma follow Jews who get nose jobs and straighten their hair?

Why are only black people labelled self-hating? Is there an end-game to this media bombardment? I think that they want to attach this stigma to us to give others reason to label us as ugly and discriminate against us.

I wish Black people would stop allowing our racial obsessions to feed articles like this which destroy our collective self esteem...which is low already.

I just noticed that this article was published in the UK Telegraph...a decidedly biased medium.

All fakes are fake. Bleach blonds are teased by their peers as perioxides babes. Fake breasts as silicone, silicosis etc.....Anything fake is of discount value. They are twice removed from the truth. I know for some of you that make your living from these fake industries,you all wish otherwise. Unfortunately, nothing like original.
Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by vickertony(m): 9:58pm On Jul 20, 2014
purplish: Heck...MBGN 2014 is not even black! So why exactly should they believe? Ehn? *sips cold teem*
come to think of it black fine but nt all that fine,the girl that won MBGN de light skinned naturally,me ma na fair guy i dont have thing for a black girl,i mean veri dark girl....bleachin nt gud shaaa
Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by Idowuogbo(f): 9:59pm On Jul 20, 2014
Ishilove:
@bolded, Na you biko grin grin
U sef see am? Oga dey wash n wear, e con b like say e wan enter guiness book of records. OGA FIDELIS, sofri sofri o grin
Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by Ishilove: 10:05pm On Jul 20, 2014
Idowuogbo:
U sef see am? Oga dey wash n wear, e con b like say e wan enter guiness book of records. OGA FIDELIS, sofri sofri o grin
grin grin grin
Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jul 20, 2014
Am I the only one who thinks complexion plays a very little role in determining beauty. I mean if it played a major role it will mean that all non dark brown people are beautiful. Personally I think facial features/ bone structures play a higher role in comparison to complexion.

8 Likes

Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by 50calibre(m): 10:11pm On Jul 20, 2014
bukatyne: My white was in quotes

How many black people do you know?

Black kurukuru?

Seems like you're confusing race with colours.

A black person doesn't mean the colour black and a white person doesn't mean the colour white.

There are darker shades of black people and there are lighter shades of white people but the average black & white person looks like this.

So tell me if you've seen a black person looking like that white man below

Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by ERTHAENIGMA(m): 10:13pm On Jul 20, 2014
CityNG:

Please stop playing with words and meanings.

Who exactly said that? You or are you going to submit quote?
bro. I know you understand what i meant. I don't have the energy to start exchanging words over such trival issue. Good night
Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jul 20, 2014
aswear
Darteyyyy:

And how do I know you're telling the truth too?
Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jul 20, 2014
Ishilove:
Huh? Are you a Nigerian? undecided

Don't fret. My post was a joke. 'Na you biko' is pidgin for 'you're the bossman, or 'na you dey reign'

Oh I meant no harm ad just want to expand my lingo.

I am Nigerian but I do not know what biko means. I guess "mi o jasi" enough cheesy
Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jul 20, 2014
ERTHAENIGMA:
bro. I know you understand what i meant. I don't have the energy to start exchanging words over such trival issue. Good night

I actually don't know what you mean.

I would assume you can simply explain yourself without being unnecessarily argumentative. Your third post and still your thought process is as clear as mud.

Its a forum not a boxing match.
Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by biancalove(f): 10:34pm On Jul 20, 2014
dias difference btwn beauty n attractive.
Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by onitshaigbo(m): 10:43pm On Jul 20, 2014
datalossvictim1: Am I the only one who thinks complexion plays a very little role in determining beauty. I mean if it played a major role it will mean that all non dark brown people are beautiful. Personally I think facial features/ bone structures play a higher role in comparison to complexion.

Very insightful. A person with ugly features will be ugly no matter complexion. E.g., albinos don't automatically look beautiful.
Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by Darteyyyy(m): 11:35pm On Jul 20, 2014
temitak: aswear

Me self swear!!!!!!
Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by Ishilove: 11:50pm On Jul 20, 2014
CityNG:

Oh I meant no harm ad just want to expand my lingo.

I am Nigerian but I do not know what biko means. I guess "mi o jasi" enough cheesy
E jasi rara grin

2 Likes

Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by expert101(m): 12:07am On Jul 21, 2014
Fake girls bleach with their fake Brazilian hair
Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by softandsweet(f): 12:15am On Jul 21, 2014
This has been and will continue to be a controversial issue. Beauty, Beauty Beauty.. The word is overated. The earlier we begin to live for ourselves and not to please the society, the happier and content we will be. Its as if the world is in a competition for societies approval of beauty. Funny enough, every man or womans idea of beauty differs, light skin, ebony skin, chocolate, caramel, gap tooth, slim fit, curvy, straight, hairy, blue eyes, brown eyes, dimples, petite, tall, average height, broad shoulders....... the list goes on and on. Ladies check yourselves, and Guys too..... there is something beautiful about you. The list is endless. The creator doesnt make mistakes. When ee try to be all these things, we loose the essense of beauty and we go out of sync with our places in this world. We should take care of ourselves, of our bodies, but the purpose of doing so shouldn't be for approval for then we will never be content in this ever changing world.

4 Likes

Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by Nobody: 12:59am On Jul 21, 2014
BankuTilapia2:

Nigerian women bleach than any other women on earth. Its a FACT. The only country on earth thats proud to be black is Ghana. We have black star in our national flag, our senior national team is call da Black Stars, U-17(Black starlets), U-20(Black Satellites), U-23(Black Meteors), female national team is call the Black Queens, U-17(Black Maidens), U-20( Black Princess). National hockey team is call Black Sticks, national table tennis team is call Black Loopers, national basketball team is call Black Hands and the national boxing team is call the Black Bombers. We love who we are and we wont change. Nigerians suffer from inferiority complex and its very laughable when they say Ghanaians are too black hahaaaaaaaa. Lupita Nyongo is making it big in Hollywood and she is pure black no bleachinggggggg
#stopbleachinginnigeria# angry

My point exactly. I always find it appalling when people start making insults about how dark Ghanians are. Hello? What happened to these people? Its like calling people who stick to their original traditional wear as primitive because they did not decide to make up a new traditional wear by using Indian waiters attire and call it traditional.

Honestly, something very wrong happened in Nigeria we just need to figure out what or who exactly injected rivers of self hate in that country.
Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by Nobody: 1:03am On Jul 21, 2014
Atmmachine: With the way Nigerian girls bleaches these dayz, guyz will end up dating thier Ex-girlfriends..
Talking from experience. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk LWTMB
Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by KMB: 1:17am On Jul 21, 2014
PURE HYPOCRISY. WE ALL LOVE BEAUTY. IT'S HOW YOU DEFINE IT.

LIVE AND LET LIVE

Everyone is guilty of one level of enhancement. None of them are permanent or natural.

We all make an effort to look beautiful or smell beautiful and in doing so, you use something other than " natural" products.

Most Nairalanders for and against bleaching have used something from the list below at a stage in their lives to look or smell beautiful. Regardless of their obvious purpose.

Perfume, Colognes, Aftershave, Hairstyle, Makeup, Toothpaste, Style of clothes, Nail varnish, false hair, Bleaching product, Steroids.....and so on

Though this list of things are great. How many can use raw shea butter daily, Burnt ash as toothpaste/chewing stick, Coconut oil, black soap, river water, leaves as clothes.
Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by Nobody: 1:35am On Jul 21, 2014
KMB: PURE HYPOCRISY. WE ALL LOVE BEAUTY. IT'S HOW YOU DEFINE IT.

LIVE AND LET LIVE

Everyone is guilty of one level of enhancement. None of them are permanent or natural.

We all make an effort to look beautiful or smell beautiful and in doing so, you use something other than " natural" products.

Most Nairalanders for and against bleaching have used something from the list below at a stage in their lives to look or smell beautiful. Regardless of their obvious purpose.

Perfume, Colognes, Aftershave, Hairstyle, Makeup, Toothpaste, Style of clothes, Nail varnish, false hair, Bleaching product, Steroids.....and so on

Though this list of things are great. How many can use raw shea butter daily, Burnt ash as toothpaste/chewing
stick, Coconut oil, black soap, river water, leaves as
clothes.

You are really confusing the issues here. There is hygiene and there us beauty. Totally different from one another.
Toothpaste, deodorant, etc are a must for hygienic purposes.

People use mostly what is available. Where on earth would you find ash 2-3 times a day for years to use for cleaning your teeth?

Do you know how rare and expensive are all the oils you have just mentioned below. I for one anm still trying to source shea butter and coconut butter I buy at almost 4000Naija for a 500gram. So please do not get it twisted what you said is far fetched,way far.

2 Likes

Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by KMB: 1:49am On Jul 21, 2014
BluIvy:

You are really confusing the issues here. There is hygiene and there us beauty. Totally different from one another.
Toothpaste, deodorant, etc are a must for hygienic purposes.

People use mostly what is available. Where on earth would you find ash 2-3 times a day for years to use for cleaning your teeth?

Do you know how rare and expensive are all the oils you have just mentioned below. I for one anm still trying to source shea butter and coconut butter I buy at almost 4000Naija for a 500gram. So please do not get it twisted what you said is far fetched,way far.

You have made the confusion because you have failed to understand what I have written.

Where did you get the rule of "deodorant is a must" Would you use ash as toothpaste if it was readily available? Or chewing stick for that matter

I wrote previously that "Regardless of the purpose"....hygiene or no hygiene.

People enhance for whatever purpose or reason. It is still regarded as an enhancement.
Bleaching is a form of enhancement
How easy or difficult you can get your product is besides the point. This is about people changing something about themselves. On this occasion bleaching

What is go for the goose is good for the gander. You like natural oils, for your reason. Some like bleaching for their reason. Who can judge who.

People have different perceptions. Why do Caucasians tan...though it can cause skin cancer just like those bleaching.

It's all about you. You have to do whatever you see fit. You don't like it...so cry
Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by TerryCarr(m): 2:01am On Jul 21, 2014
Negros are the most self hating people on the planet. "we" hate "our" cultures, languages, history, hair, skin, and features etc.
before the self hate
[img]http://eccentricyoruba.files./2010/07/african-girls.jpg[/img]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by Originalsly: 2:15am On Jul 21, 2014
Feeling beautiful and being beautiful are not the same. I have seen sooo many African women that have bleached away their natural beauty and be parading full of confidence with their burnt bronze faces and black ankles....or what's left of their skin buried under layers of make up. Besides being local champions which African woman has ever bleached herself to be internationally recognized as beautiful? Most of these wax looking women when abroad have to confine themselves to their circle since women abroad generally shun that practice. On the contrary...one can always hear women and men of various races remarking about the beauty of so many dark skinned women espeially from....no disrespect...Senegal.On White women going to get a tan....that's generally for a different reason. During the colder period the skin becomes a bit fairer....when a woman then have a tan...a darker than normal shade...it tends to indicate that the person had travelled to warmer climates...to Hawaii..to the Caribbean..to the Mediterranean. ...which means that the person is financially sound. As for me....I can care less what colour a woman is naturally....but if she bleaches then I have a negative view if her. It tells me she has a shallow mentality. The success and accolades given to Lupita (12 years a Slave) should at least make women have a rethink on bleaching but then again I do believe that the chemicals somehow also find a way to also bleach heir brains.

2 Likes

Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by Nobody: 3:56am On Jul 21, 2014
Psychodavidovic:

We have a 'breach' in English right here. grin

Ur right cause on the keyboard r & l is very far apart. cool
Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by Ashantiking: 3:58am On Jul 21, 2014
Just say no

2 Likes

Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by chic2pimp(m): 4:31am On Jul 21, 2014
Idowuogbo:

angry grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin......Amadioha will visit you this early mor mor
Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by daveP(m): 5:29am On Jul 21, 2014
U can imagine a sec sch crush with tribal marks now lighter than Taylor Swift,d marks sef don disappear!

1 Like

Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by Nobody: 5:33am On Jul 21, 2014
KMB:

You have made the confusion because you have failed to understand what I have written.

Where did you get the rule of "deodorant is a must" Would you use ash as toothpaste if it was readily available? Or chewing stick for that matter

I wrote previously that "Regardless of the purpose"....hygiene or no hygiene.

People enhance for whatever purpose or reason. It is still regarded as an enhancement.
Bleaching is a form of enhancement
How easy or difficult you can get your product is besides the point. This is about people changing something about themselves. On this occasion bleaching

What is go for the goose is good for the gander. You like natural oils, for your reason. Some like bleaching for their reason. Who can judge who.

People have different perceptions. Why do Caucasians tan...though it can cause skin cancer just like those bleaching.

It's all about you. You have to do whatever you see fit.
You don't like it...so cry

You are really of little knowledge dear friend. At the bolder yes I would use ash. And who told you toothpaste whitens your teeth better than ash or the ancient chew of certain mint twigs?

Yes deodorant is a must as I do not want to be smelly. I know my granny does not use any deodorant and she has no smell and so are other older people why I cannot say but we youngsters growing up today ain't that lucky it might be what we eat and lots of things but we need it.

How are those in anyway enhancements? Tooth whitening would be an "enhancement" not cleaning your teeth. Bleach is not an enhancement even it is reconstruction if I may borrow the word. Stripping yourself of your original colour through the use of harsh chemicals can never be just a joke. When you have children and they come out darker than you are don't you think they would think they are adopted? And what are you telling them about their skin colour? Please!

1 Like

Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by vision2050: 5:58am On Jul 21, 2014
CityNG:

I'm thankful for my life and matured enough to appreciate where I am at.

My first marriage was for 5 years and the second was for 13 years. I'm too matured to be "tasting". You seem to have an issue with me because I chart my own course.

Life is too fleeting to be surrounded by negativity. You'll figure this out in due time, you must be young yet since you believe the very juvenile "no woman will please a man" BS.
keep enjoying man, sorry for interfering in a private life. No issue with but I'm baffle
Re: African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge by Nobody: 6:22am On Jul 21, 2014
vision2050: keep enjoying man, sorry for interfering in a private life. No issue with but I'm baffle

It's not private if I willingly shared it. It's not as if it's something I should be ashamed of.

I'll leave you with this quote:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Hunter S. Thompson"

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime / Photos From Made-In-Aba Fashion Show In New York, US / Mireia Lalaguna, Crowned Miss World 2015 Contest Winner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.