Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,128 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:22 AM

African Time: The Bug In Our Systems - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Time: The Bug In Our Systems (5926 Views)

African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? / African Medieval Military Systems Pre-colonial / Igbo Political Systems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by vikel2104: 10:25pm On Jul 20, 2014
We are suffering from an epidemic for which we don't have a vaccine. To date, no known researcher has trying to find a cure, but the outbreak is rampant and unavoidable. The case is known as African Time. No one has reported any deaths resulting directly from African Time, but thousands of people report headaches, delays, missed opportunities and schedule changes daily.

African Time is the tendency to a relaxed, indifferent attitude towards time and starting events or arriving at meetings/classes/parties at their scheduled times. It is the acceptance that nothing will start at the absolute time indicated on the schedule. It is holding a University class for 10 a.m. and the professor repeatedly showing up at 10:15. It is going to see a play at the theater that says 7 p.m. on the ticket, and characters take the stage at 7:30. You will never see an event in Nigeria that starts at 9:15 or 5:45, none of those odd number times. Events are scheduled on the hour because it is simply understood that the chance of people arriving exactly 15 minutes past nine is miniscule. People indicate start times on posters or invitations a full hour before they intend to really start anticipating people will be that late. You frequently see “6 p.m. prompt” on invitations- a valiant effort to curb the tardiness. Ironically, Nigerians love watches. Boys are always walking through traffic selling sleek knock-off watches, but apparently the time pieces don’t serve such a practical purpose. Not every institution or person runs on this leisurely clock, but it is clearly visible everyday and sometimes inevitable because of society.

The tricky thing about African Time is you know it will be late, but you don’t know exactly how late. 10 minutes? 20? 40? It can be a very problematic guessing game sometimes.

There is truly nothing more annoying than to receive an invitation to an event and, when you arrive at the venue, there is hardly anyone there, not even the host. Invariably, if you bother to call them to find out why they are late, they tell you that they are around the corner, or the perennial favourite, they are five minutes away. Of course, that always turns out to be untrue and you end up waiting and wondering why they did not just choose a time they could manage.
What is particularly distressing is that the African Time bug has arrived at many schools. As you drive past a school you see a group of children casually walking over well past the official starting time. The child that has not been taught respect for time cannot possibly learn anything. The tragic thing is those who arrive late are invariably the first to leave. For some strange reason, they are always pressed for time when it comes to leaving their office or an event. That’s the only time you will discover that they actually own a watch.

According to one Ghanaian writer, "one of the main reasons for the continuing underdevelopment of our country is our nonchalant attitude to time and the need for punctuality in all aspects of life. The problem of punctuality has become so endemic that lateness to any function is accepted and explained off as "African time".
World economic studies and survey some years back shows that Nigeria is the second highest country in the world with the highest man-hour lost in all government official transaction. What an enormous economic waste! From experience, the ONLY time ‘African time' is not applicable in Nigeria is when it's time to share "some" MONEY! That is when "delay is dangerous"! The first obstacle to the development of Nigeria and Africa is the low value placed on time; we're blight with lukewarm attitude towards time, we take joy dishonouring appointment, waste other people's time, negative attitude in fixing appointment. Our comfort with 'African time' is now a disease eating the fabric of our development. A stitch in time saves nine, but our stitches only save one, maybe nothing. Opportunity lost cannot be regained; we should make hay while the sun shines as delay is always dangerous, not only in sharing money but in working for the money.

Share your views on this subject.

Credits to C. T. Harshman, R. Adewumi, V. Dlamini for their articles on the subject.

14 Likes

Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by kombats: 5:10am On Jul 21, 2014
FTC the wey mod dey move thread to frontpage this morning e b like say the person don high oooo

3 Likes

Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by justi4jesu(f): 5:10am On Jul 21, 2014
Delay is really dangerous in Nigeria when it comes to sharing money.

1 Like

Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by hydeka: 5:13am On Jul 21, 2014
I usually like to be on time for events but on many occassions, it turns out that I'll be the first to arrive and then have to wait. So these days I go a little late. Not a good habit but one is forced to do it sometimes.

4 Likes

Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by reyjay(m): 5:17am On Jul 21, 2014
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by Badmushazan: 5:19am On Jul 21, 2014
Front page. Moti elevate!
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by Horlawoomey(m): 5:19am On Jul 21, 2014
We can't be operating on African time and expect to be moving with the developed nations.
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by Horlawoomey(m): 5:20am On Jul 21, 2014
We can't be operating on African time and expect to be moving with the developed nations. . . We can't be global citizens if we keep operating on African time, we really need to change our orientation on this issue.. If you have somewhere to attend at 10am and it will take you 30 minutes to get there you should at least leave home at 9 am. Let the change starts with you. . NIGERIA WILL BE GREAT AGAIN.

4 Likes

Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by Nobody: 5:20am On Jul 21, 2014
African time has long been a problem and it has slowed so many business activities. It is very sad when you schedule a meeting with someone and find out that after 1hour, the person is still not in sight. Nigerians always feel, if I they come early they'll be the only ones in the venue. This african time can really spoil a whole day plan because you are waiting for someone who probably might be sleeping. We can really solve this problem. Men should always speak up when a scheduled time doesn't help them, they should put traffic into consideration and distance too. I just hope my 2cents help tho.

1 Like

Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by snowland(m): 5:22am On Jul 21, 2014
hmmm..too long
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by arshavineering(m): 5:24am On Jul 21, 2014
"guests should be seated before the arrival of the president"..oga boss is the last to arrive but always the first to leave...
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by bunmioguns(m): 5:30am On Jul 21, 2014
I once remember a lecturer back then, if he should organise a class at 7:00 am and you are now coming at 7:01 am, you will stay outside throughout the lecture... when we realised that he doesn't tolerate nonsense... we don't have choice than to abide by his rules...

the point I am driving at is that, let our leaders lead by example....

7 Likes

Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by Nobody: 5:32am On Jul 21, 2014
_____

5 Likes

Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by henryobinna(m): 5:33am On Jul 21, 2014
this thing has killed us already.
i hate people that use it to justify their lateness.

how to download from google play with your PC
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by robinicule(m): 5:35am On Jul 21, 2014
gimme a minute
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by Isiterere(m): 5:36am On Jul 21, 2014
The only cure for this madness is for all to change our mindset.

I have tried it countless time to honour an invitation like 5minutes to the exact time qouted on the invitation but ended up been the first to arrive,(when am not among the cleaner;it pain me a lot )no one to even appreciate your promptness.
Though some uncontrallable factors atimes inhibits our attitude to time e.g hold up .

ALL IZZ WELL

1 Like

Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by cooljude(m): 5:42am On Jul 21, 2014
I remember when i joined a committee and i wanted to be always punctual, but the members always show up 30 minutes late or more. To cut the long story short, i adjusted my own time. Na me go come sit down dey wait for about an hour or so.
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by p2t2r(m): 5:48am On Jul 21, 2014
BadBoy25: Not all of Africa is the same . Africa is not equal to black people .plus there are numerous other native black settlements around the world . when you say africa , you also mean egypt,tunisia ,Libya,morocco algeria,ethiopia,namibia ,botswana .
Africa is not a black continent . there's not only one climate in africa. not everywhere in africa is like Nigeria.
so what is your point

2 Likes

Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by johnstar(m): 5:49am On Jul 21, 2014
Ok, dats non of my business, cus 2day is my Birthday, hit d like button to wish me 'hBD', or else

13 Likes

Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by cuteposhy(f): 5:50am On Jul 21, 2014
o.p. nice write up! almost everyone is guilty of this at one point or the other; it takes discipline to keep to time.
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by ojuafact: 5:53am On Jul 21, 2014
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by englishmart(m): 5:54am On Jul 21, 2014
Africa is blessed
The land is green and beautiful.
But! Our leaders are taking us backwards
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by amakufrancis(m): 5:59am On Jul 21, 2014
bunmioguns: I once remember a lecturer back then, if he should organise a class at 7:00 am and you are now coming at 7:01 am, you will stay outside throughout the lecture... when we realised that he doesn't tolerate nonsense... we don't have choice than to abide by his rules...

the point I am driving at is that, let our leaders lead by example....

gbam
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by Smartsyn(m): 6:16am On Jul 21, 2014
This is one of the only few things that make us African and now you want us to stop..

The way we interpret time has been a mystery to the west. We should leave them guessing.

Did I need to tell you that am joking, wait until you miss a contract, your body go tell you.

1 Like

Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by Afrocatalyst: 6:28am On Jul 21, 2014
Guilty.
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by datguru: 6:45am On Jul 21, 2014
Fascinating
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by 4lorunsho(m): 6:50am On Jul 21, 2014
Sometimes african time pays
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by 4q: 6:50am On Jul 21, 2014
Time keeping is basic and fundamental, and as a Nigerian cos I can't speak for other African nations we lack the self discipline to be on time.
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by kezhenry(m): 7:11am On Jul 21, 2014
Following
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by bebe2(f): 7:12am On Jul 21, 2014
Am guilty of this, but only for parties.

IV says 2.pm , am getting there 6pm.

but if na oyinbo , 2pm na 2pm.

so u just act according to the race
or culture of ur host grin
Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by rozey247(m): 7:12am On Jul 21, 2014
grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: African Time: The Bug In Our Systems by HonourablePomk: 7:23am On Jul 21, 2014
Soo much hate it

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? / Yoruba Words And Expressions With No Synonyms In The English Language / There's Something About Us Nigerians. . . . Gotta Love Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.