Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,772 members, 7,806,126 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:51 AM

Do You Think My Invention Is Viable/would You Buy One? - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Do You Think My Invention Is Viable/would You Buy One? (1356 Views)

****Buy one get one free!!!**** 2600mah Powerbanks for N800 / New Arrival Sony Laptops Buy One And Get 8gb Flash Drive / What do you think about UMPC hybrids? I'm about to buy one (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Think My Invention Is Viable/would You Buy One? by timmy2409(m): 5:02pm On Jul 21, 2014
Hey Nairalanders!

So this idea hit me yesterday, and I've been working on it non-stop since. If you see as my eyes dey red like baboon yansh now eh embarassed grin

Anyway, my goal was to design a device that you could couple to those regular old lamps, to convert their waste heat energy to electricity. Of course pretty much everybody has a generator in Naija already, but last time I was around, I still saw a substantial number of people using these lamps.

Before I start to dey talk rubbish from this my sleep deprivation, here's what you need to know,

- As you can see from the pictures below, this is only a conceptual design at the moment, but I know everything that is required to make the device work, and I'm 99.75% certain that it will!

- This device can only produce enough energy to charge your phone, or power your speakers, just general really low range applications.

- Device would transmit through USB chord for convenience

- I have calculated that a thousand of these could be manufactured, packaged and released to market for around N1,500 each. However, there's always a possibility of reducing costs by producing larger quantities.

Sooooooo...

What do you guys think? Viable or not? Would you buy one at that price if it was available on the market? What would be your last price?

Also, will something like this be helpful to folks in rural areas, if at all?

Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think My Invention Is Viable/would You Buy One? by wiegraf: 5:36pm On Jul 21, 2014
Battery tech is still in the stone age when compared to most other tech, especially in computing. We're not likely going to get much better batteries than what is currently available for some time. So, if the math checks out why not? Are you sure you'll be able to produce enough power with that?

The price though may need some working, especially as rural areas would be primary targets.

If you did come up with a working prototype though, I'm sure many ideas would spring up that could help with that.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think My Invention Is Viable/would You Buy One? by naijainfogalery: 6:17pm On Jul 21, 2014
Well at first dont worry about how much it will cost, if you can get this working perfectly, and you managed to get this to some governement agencies and if they seems to like it and they know they can make side money from it (corruption as usual) it could become so big that even UN and some other international agencies can start shipping it to the rest of Africa. By then even Nigerians no go get choice again na 2,500 last. LOL

Stop Thinking Small Look at the big picture.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think My Invention Is Viable/would You Buy One? by neupert(m): 6:29pm On Jul 21, 2014
timmy2409: Hey Nairalanders!

So this idea hit me yesterday, and I've been working on it non-stop since. If you see as my eyes dey red like baboon yansh now eh embarassed grin

Anyway, my goal was to design a device that you could couple to those regular old lamps, to convert their waste heat energy to electricity. Of course pretty much everybody has a generator in Naija already, but last time I was around, I still saw a substantial number of people using these lamps.

Before I start to dey talk rubbish from this my sleep deprivation, here's what you need to know,

- As you can see from the pictures below, this is only a conceptual design at the moment, but I know everything that is required to make the device work, and I'm 99.75% certain that it will!

- This device can only produce enough energy to charge your phone, or power your speakers, just general really low range applications.

- I have calculated that a thousand of these could be manufactured, packaged and released to market for around N1,500 each. However, there's always a possibility of reducing costs by producing larger quantities.

Sooooooo...

What do you guys think? Viable or not? Would you buy one at that price if it was available on the market? What would be your last price?

Go ahead and do it even people say it will not work or commercially viable at least you know you try .
My only advice is let it be portable and beautiful, because there's alot of them in the market.
Re: Do You Think My Invention Is Viable/would You Buy One? by timmy2409(m): 6:46pm On Jul 21, 2014
wiegraf: Battery tech is still in the stone age when compared to most other tech, especially in computing. We're not likely going to get much better batteries than what is currently available for some time. So, if the math checks out why not? Are you sure you'll be able to produce enough power with that?

The price though may need some working, especially as rural areas would be primary targets.

If you did come up with a working prototype though, I'm sure many ideas would spring up that could help with that.

Yeah the math works out. The thermoelectric module this design is based on is rated up to 9A depending on how much of a temperature difference you can induce between either of its sides. I reckon, in an average room at night in, say Port Harcourt, the device could record a 20 degree difference which will result to around a 3A current supply. Like I said, you're definitely not going to be powering your TV, but you'll have enough power available for the smaller stuff.

I definitely agree about the pricing man; N1500 is an entire months food for some. Well I suppose it's more important to start working on a prototype now, and then see what happens from there.

EDIT: Thanks for your contribution!
Re: Do You Think My Invention Is Viable/would You Buy One? by timmy2409(m): 6:56pm On Jul 21, 2014
naijainfogalery: Well at first dont worry about how much it will cost, if you can get this working perfectly, and you managed to get this to some governement agencies and if they seems to like it and they know they can make side money from it (corruption as usual) it could become so big that even UN and some other international agencies can start shipping it to the rest of Africa. By then even Nigerians no go get choice again na 2,500 last. LOL

Stop Thinking Small Look at the big picture.

So. Much. Optimism. shocked

Thanks for your contribution man, I'll remember you if the UN ever comes knocking LOL
Re: Do You Think My Invention Is Viable/would You Buy One? by timmy2409(m): 6:58pm On Jul 21, 2014
neupert:

Go ahead and do it even people say it will not work or commercially viable at least you know you try .
My only advice is let it be portable and beautiful, because there's alot of them in the market.

You've seen something like this on the market before? Not the lantern BTW, the device
Re: Do You Think My Invention Is Viable/would You Buy One? by lester12(m): 12:56am On Jul 22, 2014
Very innovative, this idea may not just be for making money, but helping lives.
You can ut it up on venture or startup websites and generate income to help you with this startup, add me on bbm my uncle is an inventor/scientist with NASA. pin:331ABF18 or. Whatsapp -08069237554
Re: Do You Think My Invention Is Viable/would You Buy One? by naijainfogalery: 8:31am On Jul 22, 2014
timmy2409:

So. Much. Optimism. shocked

Thanks for your contribution man, I'll remember you if the UN ever comes knocking LOL

Yes oo cant wait
Re: Do You Think My Invention Is Viable/would You Buy One? by robinicule(m): 10:02am On Jul 22, 2014
Pls start inventing, lets see aw it goes . Might end up buying more dan wan.....
Re: Do You Think My Invention Is Viable/would You Buy One? by BuddhaPalm(m): 2:32pm On Nov 06, 2014
www.nairaland.com/attachments/1565197_peltier_gen_assm_jpeg72a6a562a6697e46093e63aa9c2eaf06

Where would this be attached? Around the globe, or the all-metal part - above it?
Re: Do You Think My Invention Is Viable/would You Buy One? by timmy2409(m): 2:46pm On Nov 06, 2014
BuddhaPalm:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/1565197_peltier_gen_assm_jpeg72a6a562a6697e46093e63aa9c2eaf06

Where would this be attached? Around the globe, or the all-metal part - above it?

In-between. Look at the first pic again! smiley
Re: Do You Think My Invention Is Viable/would You Buy One? by toxiflam: 2:56pm On Nov 06, 2014
Re: Do You Think My Invention Is Viable/would You Buy One? by toxiflam: 2:57pm On Nov 06, 2014
Good thinking Op
However, in ur design take ur time to perform the feasibility because I know good thermoelectric materials don't come cheap and are real.
Meanwhile it will be nice to have a made in Nairaland( Nigeria) Thermoelectric generator; should ur design be unique, no forget to apply for patent o.
Re: Do You Think My Invention Is Viable/would You Buy One? by BuddhaPalm(m): 3:12pm On Nov 06, 2014
timmy2409:

In-between. Look at the first pic again! smiley

Oh, its actually small.

Your major challenges would be adoption and copy-cats.
Re: Do You Think My Invention Is Viable/would You Buy One? by Elxandre(m): 8:41pm On Nov 10, 2014
BuddhaPalm:

Oh, its actually small.

Your major challenges would be adoption and copy-cats.

Ibo boys will give him a stiff fight actually.
Re: Do You Think My Invention Is Viable/would You Buy One? by DaniellaDokubo(f): 8:25am On Oct 05, 2018
Hey baby @timmy2049 are you still in the lab?

Waiting for you and this breakthrough invention to show up �
Re: Do You Think My Invention Is Viable/would You Buy One? by laivwire(m): 8:40am On Oct 05, 2018
timmy2409:
Hey Nairalanders!

Sooooooo...

Are you sure about this? Cos last I checked all these Chinese LED lamps have colonized the Nigerian alternative light source market. And they go for around #1,500 to #2000.

A good place to run good project viability tests will be in rural markets where market women still sell hurricane lamps.

Again, look beyond the immediate Nigerian market, there are poorer countries in Africa.

(1) (Reply)

"SAMSUNG S2" At A Very Cheap Price. #pics / Brand New Asus X553ma Bing For Sale With 2yr Warranty 64kon Docconcepts.com / Extremely Clean As New Apple Iphone 5s Gold 16gig For Sale Call 08126575138

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.