Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,831 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:41 PM

Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? (22320 Views)

What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? / How Is A Balloon Called In Your Dialect? / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by latino2swt(m): 8:29am On Jul 22, 2014
I'd regret nt being able 2 speak my native language bt as i can fluently, nyeneke mfana koro Akwa Ibom ayaya
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 8:29am On Jul 22, 2014
I can speak my dialect, but I'm not so fluent in it. Writing it is even worse. angry
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by klassic(m): 8:29am On Jul 22, 2014
cant speak my dad's language which is bad cos i am an ijaw man . But still manage my mum's language she is Urhobo. So to balance it, i am going back to Bayelsa to learn my ijaw language should incase politics comes calling, it wont be a disaster. cheesy smiley

2 Likes

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by NaLaugh: 8:30am On Jul 22, 2014
nah.

I have never held an actual 5 minute conversation in my language. EVER.

However, i understand it 95%
I can construct almost any sentence i want. However, when attempting it i sound like a Retardd who has too much palm wine.

No regrets here, as It is a very obscure language even in the context of Nigeria.

Also i understand:
Yoruba - 20%
Hausa - 22%
Igbo - 0.001%
Spanish - 5% & counting.

cool
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 8:30am On Jul 22, 2014
latino2swt: I'd regret nt being able 2 speak my native language bt as i can fluently, nyeneke mfana koro Akwa Ibom ayaya
Akwa Ibom ado ok. grin
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Lanceslot(m): 8:31am On Jul 22, 2014
Born in east, brought up in west. I've spent more yrs of my life in west , I can speak eastern language (Igbo) very fluently and I understand western language %100 but can speak just 65% of it. Abum ezigbo nwa-afo Igbo ji asusu obodo m eme onu, ekenerem Chukwuabiama mere m onye igbo..... Oba o ba enikan ja oba ki gbogbo ile.

3 Likes

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 8:31am On Jul 22, 2014
adeitoro: Bros you are damn good, your use of English says it all more than the self acclaimed english grammarian you quoted.
To the topic, I am a proud Igbotic guy, no appologies.
Speak mostly Onitsha urban Igbo, though from Imo state, but flow in Orlu dialect when in the of my Orlu folks.

Well I pray to be good one day but thanks. There can be no substitute to hard work if you want to develop your language. The best place to start is to acquire a copy of the bible (I am not christian but African traditionalist) in your language and read it daily. Buy newspapers and other books Use the record function on your phone and start recording. Find someone who is better and practice,practice practice. Singing is another way lots of church songs are very useful for that
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 8:32am On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: There have been cases where "jx speaking ur mother tongue" was the advantage in securing a contract.

Where highly placed men who will nt look at ur face give u a helping hand jx because u spoke their native language.

IT HAS SO MANY ADVANTAGES OOOO
Tory tory..Na una dey spoil dis country wit tribalism..Later,na una go b d same pple wey go dey complain say Nigeria no good

2 Likes

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by latino2swt(m): 8:33am On Jul 22, 2014
Victoriousvic:
Akwa Ibom ado ok. grin

victorious edi ntre! Aba ke mmong?
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 22, 2014
johndwayy:
All these pattern of thoughts, asian culture indirect speech and the others you mentioned above, if not understood by your listener or audience, makes communication defeated. A particular language or dialect is only peculiar to the people of that race and not to everybody, for you to communicate and interact with people, you have to speak what they understand. Why didn't you post your comment in your native dialect, cos you know I might not understand it- that's what I'm saying.
Have you noticed that pidgin english has gained widespread popularity and relevance in nigeria? What do you think is the reason?
Well only the deep can call to the deep.Pearls are nothing but swill for swine
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by January27(f): 8:35am On Jul 22, 2014
I am trying but i cant speak my dialect fluently, I use to feel bad each time i go to the village and my cousins are speaking i wont be able to contribute.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 8:35am On Jul 22, 2014
latino2swt:

victorious edi ntre! Aba ke mmong?
Ndi eyen Calabar o! cool
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by johndwayy(m): 8:36am On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: There have been cases where "jx speaking ur mother tongue" was the advantage in securing a contract.

Where highly placed men who will nt look at ur face give u a helping hand jx because u spoke their native language.

IT HAS SO MANY ADVANTAGES OOOO
........and you call that advantage..smh. bros that's tribalism and corruption, the major reason we cannot progress and succeed as a country. Must you speak the same language as me before I can be of help?

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 8:37am On Jul 22, 2014
I wish i could speak Esan sad
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Ranchhoddas: 8:39am On Jul 22, 2014
justi4jesu: I can speak.

Ibate......bo leki

Goodmorning or welcome...come n sit down!
is that kalabari?
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 8:39am On Jul 22, 2014
Can perfectly speak and write anything in my dialect.
From the only town in Edo state that can understands and can speak Benin and the different ishan(Esan) languages!..,,we also understand 80% of all the languages in Edo North.... What a blessed dialect!
One unique thing abt ma dialect is that, its nt Benin n its ishan(Esan) bt its kinda a mixture of both. smiley

TEAM IGUEBEN

Ibhokhima wado ooo
Do I have brothers/sisters here??
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 8:40am On Jul 22, 2014
MissGdope: I wish i could speak Esan sad
eyaaa
Wat part of esan r u from?
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by johndwayy(m): 8:40am On Jul 22, 2014
iwonbaoko: Well only the deep can call to the deep.Pearls are nothing but swill for swine
@iwonbaoko...u re too funny. So you Are indirectly saying to hell with someone that can't understand your language?.....quite pathetic sha.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Gptech(m): 8:41am On Jul 22, 2014
Let me tell you something. Believe it or not, our languages have done more harm than good to this country! Not trying to discourage anyone here,but there are many evil, selfish and biased views behind what most people call advantages of our local dialects.

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 8:41am On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: Can perfectly speak and write anything in my dialect.
From the only town in Edo state that can understands and can speak Benin and the different ishan(Esan) languages!..,,we also understand 80% of all the languages in Edo North.... What a blessed dialect!
One unique thing abt ma dialect is that, its nt Benin n its ishan(Esan) bt its kinda a mixture of both. smiley

TEAM IGUEBEN

Ibhokhima wado ooo
egbe fue re
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 8:41am On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: Are u from Edo?
NO
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by amichaelz101(m): 8:41am On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: Can perfectly speak and write anything in my dialect.

TEAM IGUEBEN

Ibhokhima wado ooo
no.. Go ya villa em fool here
AgapeCharis: eyaaa
Wat part of esan r u from?
Irua
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by kizzle4eva(m): 8:42am On Jul 22, 2014
johndwayy: So wot is now d advantage and pride in knowing hw to speak and undastands ones mother tongue? Pls u guys shud enumerate 5 major importance and advantages of speaking and understanding your mother tongue.,if nt majorly for d purpose of favouritism, tribalism and corruption especially here in nigeria. English ,which is our official language and the mother tongue of the british pipo is spoken across Uk and the US, Are they nt progressing more than us in all areas? I'm nt trying to rubbish our native languages oh, bt I want us to see the unity in our diversity and nt trying to promote our tribes above the rest cos that will always bring resentment and hatred.

Btw...I can speak and understand 2 major languages in the south-south, bt I can't see any importance or pride in it other than tribalistic tendencies. So no regrets if u can't speak ur mother tongues.......I'm out.

I think you are getting it all wrong here. The british people you talked about have Welsh, Cockney et al and in the US, Spanish is even spoken more than english sef.
Our culture is what makes us unique. Europe used it to their advantage buh instilled divisions among us which we imbibed and suffer till today.
Akwa Ibom Isong o
Annang Mma
Igbo kwenu
Yoruba mon ki yin o
Obolom tighi
Efik mmekom o wink

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Hoii(m): 8:44am On Jul 22, 2014
Serious regrets. Egun language
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 8:44am On Jul 22, 2014
johndwayy:
........and you call that advantage..smh. bros that's tribalism and corruption, the major reason we cannot progress and succeed as a country. Must you speak the same language as me before I can be of help?
No....its jx an advantage!

I have also seen a guy dt was attracted to a gal because of dialect

It has alot of advantages abeg
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 8:46am On Jul 22, 2014
MissGdope:
Irua
Hiiaaan!!
Irrua is the heart of Esan. They have the realest Esan language

Where did u grow up?
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 8:47am On Jul 22, 2014
MissGdope:
egbe fue re
grin

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by NaLaugh: 8:47am On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: No....its jx an advantage!

I have also seen a guy dt was attracted to a gal because of dialect

It has alot of advantages abeg

Referenced "Advantage" = Nepotism, Tribalism.

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 8:48am On Jul 22, 2014
amichaelz101: no.. Go ya villa em fool here
I smell frustration grin
Stop d hating#jx because u can't speak urs tongue
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Mimisboygreat: 8:49am On Jul 22, 2014
A na m asu asusu ndi be anyi nke oma. Obu ihe nwute na ndi nne anyi na nna anyi ha anaghi akuziri umu ha asusu anyi digazi iche iche, ma ha na-acho ikuziri ha asusu ndi oyibo ka-enwe si na ha bu ndi gara akwukwo. Ndi goomenti kwesiri ilebara ihe ndia anyi ka ohara ichula asusu na omenaala anyi. Ndi be anyi ekene mu nu. Writing and speaking igbo is just as simple as ABC for me.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Ranchhoddas: 8:50am On Jul 22, 2014
Can't speak kalabari and i have little regret.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Oba Akiolu At Colchester For Grandson Graduation (photo) / Igede, The Untold Story Of A Golden Tribe And Our Aspirations / Ekpeye Masquerade Festival In Rivers State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.