Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,895 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:21 AM

How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? (10528 Views)

Is It Right To Look Into The Mirror At Late Night??? / How Often Do You Look At Yourself In The Mirror In A Day? / The Average Woman Spends 2 Years Of Her Life Looking At Herself In The Mirror! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Gloria3389(f): 9:28pm On Sep 16, 2014
odun4love: I can't do without it in a day

If I won brush my teeth, I go use mirror
If I won comb my hair, I go use mirror
If I won shave, I go use mirror
If I finished eating and I won remove meat from my teeth I go still use mirror.

If anybody sey he fit do without a mirror in a day .. that's a white lie.
that is a fallacy of hasty generalisation.... u can't judge everyone by your addiction
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Nobody: 9:29pm On Sep 16, 2014
i swear i hate mirrors. No use. I can self-examine
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by cococandy(f): 9:29pm On Sep 16, 2014
No.
I just try to restrict it to ONLY when I'm dressing up to go out.
3cycle: Cococandy, can you go a day without mirror?
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by sirjohnson(m): 9:30pm On Sep 16, 2014
Only when I want to apply sivoderm on my face and thats just once a week. I dont use mirror, I dont comb, I dont cream, I dont use perfume. Just bathe and move out.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Bolgra2008(f): 9:30pm On Sep 16, 2014
As long as there's a mirror,I will always check for me,,,,,am addicted to it to d extent dat the CPU in my office has a mirror front,I always sit and check my face at intervals,I even told my colleague not to tamper talkless of changing it if faulty,my fones r d mirror screen type,I always hold it at intervals to check my face,unknown to some,they always think am fidgetting with it,I also have a small glass in my bag,

In short,,,am sha addicted to it ooo,and I neva c any Jupiter wey fit change am not me At The Moment
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Sep 16, 2014
Pavore9: l do not even have a mirror, l only see my face on webcam when l am skyping!

It's totally save to admit the fact you are a phone addict. wink

1 Like

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by youngds: 9:32pm On Sep 16, 2014
cococandy: Most of us don't even know how addicted we are to mirrors until there's none available

OMG... Op is so damn good looking, jiz aw did u manage to av time for NL?
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by prettyamanda(f): 9:33pm On Sep 16, 2014
Looking in d. Mirror reminds one of how confident dey shud be it increases self esteem, its a reflection of urself and not a bad addiction
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by cococandy(f): 9:34pm On Sep 16, 2014
youngds:

OMG... Op is so damn good looking, jiz aw did u manage to av time for NL?
Thank you.

Erm do you mean good looking people are supposed to be so busy looking at the mirror so they don't have time for NL cheesy grin

Ok I'm just kidding.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by MabraO: 9:36pm On Sep 16, 2014
As long as it takes
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Sep 16, 2014
Woman Avoided Mirrors for One Year
By GAIL DEUTSCH and MEGHAN MOORE Aug 14, 2012, 1:55 PM
Kjerstin Gruys, a 29-year-old PhD student in sociology, has mastered the art of avoiding her own reflection. For months, her daily schedule began with the typical teeth brushing, but a curtain covered the bathroom mirror. She inserted her contact lenses and applied her makeup by touch, not sight. Driving to work required glances in the rear- and side-view mirrors, but Gruys avoided peeking at her own image.

Mirror-Free Bride Goes Shopping With Robin Roberts
Courtesy Kjerstin Gruys
It was part of a unique experiment that Gruys hopes will help boost her own self-esteem and inspire others to stop focusing on external perfection. In her blog "Mirror, Mirror Off the Wall", she documents her yearlong effort to live mirror-free.

The project had its roots in Gruys' struggles with body image and her experience overcoming an eating disorder. In high school, Gruys said, she had insecurities about her appearance and suffered from anorexia.

"All my obsessing was kind of directed toward how much I weighed," she said. She restricted her food and liquid intake, resulting in serious health problems. "I had kidney stones five times ... and the lack of body fat started affecting my bone density."

Through years of therapy, Gruys finally overcame her eating disorder. Gruys began volunteering for About-Face, a San Francisco-based organization that seeks to help women and girls free themselves of body-image problems.

VOTE: Could You Avoid Mirrors for One Year?

Gruys launched her no-mirrors project in March 2010, while planning her wedding to then fiancé Michael Ackermann. Wedding dress shopping was not the pleasure-filled experience that she had expected.

"I thought I was going to find a dress that somehow fulfilled every dream, and that I'd enjoy the process of shopping for dresses, I'd feel my most beautiful. I'd find this perfect dress that complimented my body."

But instead, Gruys says dress shopping was a source of stress.

"I saw myself in the mirror and was being critical," she says. "I thought, Well, maybe I should lose a little weight before the wedding, always a bad thing to focus on when you have a history of an eating disorder.... I wasn't afraid of relapsing into my eating disorder, but I felt like a hypocrite because of how far I'd come."

Then Gruys read a passage in the book "Birth of Venus," describing an order of nuns in Renaissance Italy who had severe restrictions against vanity. "They didn't have mirrors in their lives. They were forbidden to look at each other when undressing. They were actually forbidden to look at themselves while they undressed."

For the first time in her life, Gruys said she was tempted to follow suit.

"This idea of living your life experiencing the world for itself instead of constantly reflecting, you know, pun intended, on how you looked.... It was a life where you could get away from yourself," she said.

"I just kind of kept coming back to this pattern of perfectionism, and obsessing about my appearance, and I thought, If I can't think myself out of it, then maybe I need to change something about my environment to force me to change," Gruys explained. "The project was to get rid of mirrors with the intention of focusing on everything else in my life."

Gruy's mother, Julie Elmen, was supportive but initially surprised by the timing of Gruys' project.

"The first thing she said was, That's a great idea, it seems like the perfect experiment for you to do, but you're not going to do it until after the wedding, right?" Gruys recalled.

Elmen told "20/20" that, at first, she was just concerned about her daughter having a "normal wedding."

"I wanted her to be able to enjoy every part of it and be able to look at herself in the mirror and see how lovely she looked on her wedding day."

In the beginning of her mirror-free lifestyle, Gruys admits there were a few maintenance mishaps.

"The first month of the project ...when I was walking out the door...it was maybe a 50-50 shot that I had mascara on my nose."

But quickly, she learned to adapt. Gruys says she trained herself to avoid eye contact with her own image in windows and other reflective surfaces, trusted friends to tell her what looks good instead of relying on the mirror in dressing rooms. And she put complete faith in her hair stylist.

To the surprise of many, Kjerstin says the wedding day was actually one of the easiest days to navigate mirror-free.

"I'm getting my focus back to thinking about the real meaning of the day, which isn't how I look but marrying the love of my life," she said.

Bridesmaids scurried to shield the mirrors from her view. Fittingly, she and Ackermann's first dance was to a song called "I'll Be Your Mirror." The lyrics included "I find it hard to believe you don't know/The beauty that you are."

In March 2012, the experiment came to an end. At an event surrounded by family and friends, Kjerstin Gruys finally looked at her own reflection.

"I had a little ambivalence, and at the same time, pleasure, because I was happy with what I saw," she said.

In attendance was fellow About-Face volunteer Aubrey Toole, who says she hopes people take inspiration from Gruys.

"So many things are important about her message," Toole said. "I think so much of being a female in our society today is seeing yourself from the outside. And her message is really to see yourself from within."

Gruys said she has learned to pay more attention to how she feels, rather than how she looks.

"There is nothing wrong with enjoying, um, looking at yourself in the mirror, ... but it's important for every woman, and man, I think, to really think for a few minutes about whether there is a point of diminishing returns," she said. "Because we have so much more to offer the world than just our looks."
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by kalushaiyke(m): 9:39pm On Sep 16, 2014
dania30: My life basically revolves around a mirror cheesy. All my conversations are rehearsed and perfected in front of a mirror wink
And most of all, my mirror is my best friend cause when I cry, it never laughs grin grin grin
Mirror girl grin wink
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Sep 16, 2014
I can live forever without it. cool
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Ksslib(m): 9:42pm On Sep 16, 2014
I've gone 2weeks and some few days without looking the mirror..

Its amazing how we can adapt to stuffs we feel one cant do without..
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by MrDoGood(m): 9:42pm On Sep 16, 2014
dat's for the laddies.

like me, i can't even remember .

more dan a month plus now.

only when i come across it in a banking hall like zenith bank
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Willgates(m): 9:43pm On Sep 16, 2014
Odilafta: I actually hate looking in the mirror angry because the one in my house makes ones head look like coconut

the mirror is only stating the obvious swidy
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by nifton(m): 9:44pm On Sep 16, 2014
Me nak 3 weeks for camp wit out mirror,who send me.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Sep 16, 2014
It's not possible for me to avoid mirrors while at home, as there are reflective glasses everywhere.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Pavore9: 9:45pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ceasar1:

It's totally save to admit the fact you are a phone addict. wink
Nah l am not addicted to anything electronic be it phone, computers etc. l am more addicted to travelling, l cam pack under 15mins!.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by luvly101: 9:45pm On Sep 16, 2014
20 hours smiley
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by dania30(f): 9:49pm On Sep 16, 2014
kalushaiyke:
Mirror girl grin wink
Mirror boy tongue
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by youngds: 9:50pm On Sep 16, 2014
cococandy:
Thank you.

Erm do you mean good looking people are supposed to be so busy looking at the mirror so they don't have time for NL cheesy grin

Ok I'm just kidding.

Nàh.. no dat, i mean u are pretty& most guys; probably cal u all day., on a date every night, outing etc. imean fun stuff like dat, i dont mean NL isnt cool, but... i would rather go on a date with u dan get paid for commenting
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Htown64(m): 9:51pm On Sep 16, 2014
Spicylate: is it possible sef?
yes, 100%. I for one done have a mirror in my house and never will. I hate it with passion.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by arsetalks(m): 9:51pm On Sep 16, 2014
I am sure I have not looked at the mirror more than 20 times all my life and I have been here for close to 3 decades now.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by UjSizzle(f): 9:52pm On Sep 16, 2014
13hrs. That's how long it'll take for me to get back home.
So on the average I use a mirror twice a day--once in the morning, and once in the night. I don't carry one in my bag.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Sep 16, 2014
Pavore9: Nah l am not addicted to anything electronic be it phone, computers etc. l am more addicted to travelling, l cam pack under 15mins!.

...But your post reflects alot. And otherwise.
How often do you get to see your face in a day or say a week?
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by kalushaiyke(m): 9:55pm On Sep 16, 2014
dania30:
Mirror boy tongue
How you dey nah
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Sep 16, 2014
UjSizzle: 13hrs. That's how long it'll take for me to get back home.
So on the average I use a mirror twice a day--once in the morning, and once in the night. I don't carry one in my bag.

I'm speechless.

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by UjSizzle(f): 9:59pm On Sep 16, 2014
[quote author=MissMeiya][/quote]
Hmmm I could try this for a week. That's if i don't get obsessed with knowing how wind blown my hair is embarassed
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Ayo081(m): 9:59pm On Sep 16, 2014
I have 2 mirror one makes me luk handsome why the other bring the ugly outa me why?
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Chinaimporter: 10:03pm On Sep 16, 2014
[size=18pt]i dont look because i dont care, i dont care because i am richer than all of you[/size]
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by UjSizzle(f): 10:03pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ceasar1:

I'm speechless.
grin It's not an essential. I carry only essentials around.....no time for unnecessary load.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Check Out Www.sefan.ru Latest Website Update / Shitposting General / Math Quiz... Can You Get The Right Answer.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.