Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,426 members, 7,800,944 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:12 AM

5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat (21273 Views)

Body Fortress Super Advance Whey Protein. N13,000 / 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos / Where Can I Get Whey Protein And Other Body Building Supplements In Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by hyuga(m): 6:53am On Jul 23, 2014
fish, coco yam
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by grandstar(m): 6:58am On Jul 23, 2014
okay
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by Nobody: 7:06am On Jul 23, 2014
Thank you OP, you have just opened my eyes.
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by Innodon(m): 7:09am On Jul 23, 2014
I need those proteins
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by mezebel(f): 7:22am On Jul 23, 2014
I still dey search for ogbonno soup and akpu. Abi op forget to add them?
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by Ashmark(m): 7:25am On Jul 23, 2014
The amount of Carbohydrate you get in beans is higher than the Protein.......Dont dull it

1 Like

Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by Rexyl(m): 7:30am On Jul 23, 2014
cool
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by nifton(m): 7:33am On Jul 23, 2014
Egg is d only complete protein dia cus it contains virtually all d essential amino acids.its the gold standard.But dats animal protein,no plant protein is complete even tho its more recomendable due to less fat content.

1 Like

Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by Nobody: 7:48am On Jul 23, 2014
chinziaski: Some of these foods are exotic though

mezebel: I still dey search for ogbonno soup and akpu. Abi op forget to add them?

Honestly, as much as I appreciate the Original Poster (I guess this is what 'OP' means on Nairaland), I think the MODs/ Seun /Mukina2 etc should be a little more pragmatic in placing content on the Feature Section of the Homepage.

I quoted both posters above to buttress my point. There are MODs, I assume, for every section. They should be the ones to suggest Feature Articles to the SuperMOD(s) or the Admin.

As good as the intention of the original writer of this article is, it doesn't exactly fit into the NIGERIAN setting. It is foreign. Its measures, values and content are WESTERN.

This is NAIRALAND - Nigeria's most indigenous website - for citizens both at home and abroad. The topic is something interesting, and its content as well - but it would have done more good if it contained local, or easily available/accessible Nigerian food items or values or measures.

For example, a statement like: A Module of Beans contains 10(Peak Milk) cups and each cup has 45grams of protein - would be more appealing and knowledge imparting than some of what we had up there.

Even the description of soyabean and soyamilk there, as common as Soya is to our ears, still sounded/read Foreign to many ears/eyes.

My personal opinion tho'. I stand to be corrected.

Finally, I think the OP did a great job by putting this on NL, whether she copied and pasted it or not. It is the MODs who could have done better by leaving it in the Food Section and not featuring it on the Front Page - except it was appropriately 'Nigerianised'.

Trust me, if there was a 'Dollarland' or 'AmericaOnline', this wouldn't have been handled/presented as it has been done here. Africa should be Africa. We must do our own PR, as aggressively and as and equally responsibly too.

Without attempting to drive any form of hatred, discrimination or racism, we must project ourselves as what we are - and not propagate their subjugation of our culture or way of lives - in some advanced neo-colonialism.
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by mezebel(f): 8:35am On Jul 23, 2014
Hernyolar:

Honestly, as much as I appreciate the Original Poster (I guess this is what 'OP' means on Nairaland), I think the MODs/ Seun /Mukina2 etc should be a little more pragmatic in placing content on the Feature Section of the Homepage.

I quoted both posters above to buttress my point. There are MODs, I assume, for every section. They should be the ones to suggest Feature Articles to the SuperMOD(s) or the Admin.

As good as the intention of the original writer of this article is, it doesn't exactly fit into the NIGERIAN setting. It is foreign. Its measures, values and content are WESTERN.

This is NAIRALAND - Nigeria's most indigenous website - for citizens both at home and abroad. The topic is something interesting, and its content as well - but it would have done more good if it contained local, or easily available/accessible Nigerian food items or values or measures.

For example, a statement like: A Module of Beans contains 10(Peak Milk) cups and each cup has 45grams of protein - would be more appealing and knowledge imparting than some of what we had up there.

Even the description of soyabean and soyamilk there, as common as Soya is to our ears, still sounded/read Foreign to many ears/eyes.

My personal opinion tho'. I stand to be corrected.

Finally, I think the OP did a great job by putting this on NL, whether she copied and pasted it or not. It is the MODs who could have done better by leaving it in the Food Section and not featuring it on the Front Page - except it was appropriately 'Nigerianised'.

Trust me, if there was a 'Dollarland' or 'AmericaOnline', this wouldn't have been handled/presented as it has been done here. Africa should be Africa. We must do our own PR, as aggressively and as and equally responsibly too.

Without attempting to drive any form of hatred, discrimination or racism, we must project ourselves as what we are - and not propagate their subjugation of our culture or way of lives - in some advanced neo-colonialism.
are u quoting me with such lengthy write up or are u lecturing NL GNS 101?
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by CharlieMaria(m): 8:53am On Jul 23, 2014
#Team Fufu and Okazi soup with enof obstacles (meat, fish...etc.)

1 Like

Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by Nobody: 9:05am On Jul 23, 2014
mezebel: are u quoting me with such lengthy write up or are u lecturing NL GNS 101?

I duly indicated the reason for both quotes I included in rejoinder.

I assume you either didn't read it, couldn't comprehend it or belong to the 'too long' school of thought not to what I meant.

I would advise that you calmed down.
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by mezebel(f): 9:10am On Jul 23, 2014
Hernyolar:

I duly indicated the reason for both quotes I included in rejoinder.

I assume you either didn't read it, couldn't comprehend it or belong to the 'too long' school of thought not to what I meant.

I would advise that you calmed down.
it took me 1minute to read d post,and 30minutes to read a mere comment. Shu! Abeg I like reading things in summary form..
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by vivaciousvivi(f): 10:11am On Jul 23, 2014
I thought the first pic was called Dates? Please confirm.
Chei, they just had to add beans tongue sad
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by demmykay: 11:03am On Jul 23, 2014
pls house any oda name for almond or better still a local name and where can I get d nuts or d nuts in powder form in Abuja?
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:21am On Jul 23, 2014
nice one OP

soybeans is the best because it contains low fat,low cholesterol and high energy.

Be a farmer and grow your own soybeans,process them into soymilk,
Nourish yourself and your family and make huge money.

Check this out

www.nairaland.com/1806976/processing-agroproducts-fastlane-making-millions
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by Poshe7(f): 12:03pm On Jul 23, 2014
tonyx4x44: eggs mhen!

this ones are sexy

Yeah,cute lookin....but,jus as lil as 100 box can easily give you dat wink
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by Noblefreeman(m): 12:07pm On Jul 23, 2014
You forgot Sperm,Akwa Ibom girls И̣̣̣̥o better
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by Abee79(m): 1:06pm On Jul 23, 2014
Where beans na?
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by rotsey: 1:41pm On Jul 23, 2014
Intresting
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jul 23, 2014
Roasted almonds are the best snacks also.
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by habeyrachy(f): 8:27pm On Jul 23, 2014
Dat gud
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by Nobody: 10:55pm On Aug 01, 2014
Good evening
mizjules: Very helpful indeed, especially the nuts its very nutritional
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by Rexyl(m): 8:04am On Aug 02, 2014
HsLBroker: 5. The Best Choice for Those Who Work Out a Lot

eggs for protein

What They Are: Eggs

How Much Protein You Get: One large egg has 6 grams of protein (about 12 percent of the recommended daily value).

Why They're Great: Eggs are another perfect, complete protein, with all the amino acids your body needs, says Schmitt. What's more, they contain vitamin B12, which is involved in processes like fat breakdown, muscle contraction and promoting a healthy metabolism.

One More Thing: Most of an egg's protein is found in the white, but don't toss the yolks, says Schmitt. That's where you'll find vitamins A, B12 and D, as well as calcium, folate and omega-3s. (And you know that eating an egg a day won't have any ill effects on your cholesterol level.)

Like this clarification on egg... further explains the reason why egg is the only food with complete biological value. But am a little confused to have read it somewhere that soy surpasses egg in protein content. Don't know how that could be, with the information showing completeness of egg as a food. May be someone can elaborate on this.
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by Nobody: 8:10am On Mar 22, 2015
Rexyl:

Like this clarification on egg... further explains the reason why egg is the only food with complete biological value. But am a little confused to have read it somewhere that soy surpasses egg in protein content. Don't know how that could be, with the information showing completeness of egg as a food. May be someone can elaborate on this.
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by Nobody: 5:03pm On Oct 30, 2016
habeyrachy:
Dat gud
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by Nobody: 12:16pm On Oct 31, 2016
HsLBroker:
5. The Best Choice for Those Who Work Out a Lot

eggs for protein

What They Are: Eggs

How Much Protein You Get: One large egg has 6 grams of protein (about 12 percent of the recommended daily value).

Why They're Great: Eggs are another perfect, complete protein, with all the amino acids your body needs, says Schmitt. What's more, they contain vitamin B12, which is involved in processes like fat breakdown, muscle contraction and promoting a healthy metabolism.

One More Thing: Most of an egg's protein is found in the white, but don't toss the yolks, says Schmitt. That's where you'll find vitamins A, B12 and D, as well as calcium, folate and omega-3s. (And you know that eating an egg a day won't have any ill effects on your cholesterol level.)
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by Nobody: 10:34pm On Mar 20, 2018
HsLBroker:
You know you can easily meet your daily protein requirements with a steak or a platter of sashimi, but you can get the essential nutrient from these lesser-expected foods, as well.

By Corrie Pikul

What They Are: Nuts and seeds

1. The Best for Dieters

How Much Protein You Get: Almonds and pistachios have about 5–7 grams per ounce; macadamias and hazelnuts have 2–3 grams per ounce.

Why They're Great: Packed with protein as well as healthy monosaturated fat and fiber, nuts are surprisingly filling. This could be why studies keep finding a relationship between eating nuts and dropping pounds. In one, people who ate 70 almonds a day (in conjunction with a reduced-calorie diet) lost 18 percent of their body weight.

One More Thing: The average 150-pound woman needs 60–100 grams of protein a day, says Lauren Schmitt, RD, founder of Healthy Eating & Training. Instead of trying to get all of your protein in your entrées, eat smaller amounts throughout the day, to better regulate your mood, hunger and blood sugar levels, Schmitt says. Sprinkle nuts on foods like cereal, oatmeal, salads and fruit.
Re: 5 Great Protein Sources That Aren't Meat by pat077: 10:54pm On Mar 20, 2018
HsLBroker:
3. The Best Treat

yogurt for protein

What It Is: Dairy

How Much Protein You Get: A cup of milk has about 8 grams, an ounce of cheese has 6–7 grams, yogurt has 4–6 grams (per 6-ounce serving), Greek yogurt and kefir have 15–20 grams.

Why It's Great: Dairy foods are a high-quality protein food, and a little goes a long way toward meeting your amino acid and protein requirements. Greek yogurt and kefir are veritable protein powerhouses, and a serving has as much protein as a serving of lean meat.

One More Thing: Brooks says clients who talk about giving up dairy and replacing milk with nut milk are shocked to hear that almond milk is so diluted from the source of the whole nut that the liquid has little to no protein.
does hollandia yogurt has same protein content

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Travellers From China To Lagos To Be Quarantined For 10-15 Days / 5 Types Of People You Are Likely To Meet At A Lagos Gym / Wiping Back-to-front Introduces Bacteria From Anus To Vagina —researcher

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.