Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,019 members, 7,806,986 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:13 AM

Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad (24616 Views)

Traditional Inspired Architecture In Africa, What Should We Do To Help? / The Wackiest Architecture In The World / Architecture: Construction Of Duplex In Lekki & Akwa-Ibom State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by Willow08: 10:22am On Jul 23, 2014
Indeed it is! take your South African brothers as an example. House interiors here are so beautifully made compared to the "Million dollar mansions" you find in high brow areas.

these are standard bedrooms you ought to find in a 40 million naira duplex.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by Willow08: 10:33am On Jul 23, 2014
And wondering how you can re-create that kind of interior?.. Creativity, both in the application of lights or wood.

Below your typical naija 80 million naira lounge. So Small ugly and blocky! angry undecided

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by Willow08: 12:17pm On Jul 23, 2014
Please we need a change... we need creativity. i became this engrossed ever since i started searching for house interiors. I am currently in south Africa, and they have great design institute and schools. There is a great job opportunity if you can study abroad and apply you gained knowledge in the Nigerian real estate industry.I plan on studying interior design or interior architecture.

I'm only sharing this cos i need a change in the Nigerian real estate. Most Singaporean men made it with real estate. if you plan on building a house multimillion naira house soon, you can inquire for the service of a competent architect and interior designer( they usually work in hand to create an understandable house plan) or better still buy a house plan from s.a which can fit into the Nigerian market, Surf thru some interior design sites E.G: http://www.houzz.com, Don't let any one discourage you! Wooden looking sitting room and bedrooms are the easiest to replicate. on a minimal budget this shouldn't cost 5 to 6 million for a house below 40 million. Get the services of good artisans( most especially for the pop guys, electricians and carpenters) this is where the creativity is needed. show them your interior design plan and let them create some thing similar to what u want. also the application of glass should be a welcome development. it is cheap and it adds beauty.

In conclusion, A house worth 80 million naira should have an investment of at least 30-35 million in building cost and interior design (cost of land is exempted).

How? clay brick instead of concrete brick pros: cheap, lasts longer, reduces painting cost. Major Cons: there is low knowledge it there by high demand with low supply which can only result to one thing HIGH COST. if that is not viable why don't you go for glass walls instead of concrete walls( yh yh!) Security?... the probability of an robber scaling a high electric fence with barbed wire is low in Lagos. Think of the possibility of having this as the back of your house (Fig: 151-630x417). This shouldn't cost less than 1 to 2 million to create depending on size. lets be creative. i advise you import lights ,cabinet handles and necessary stuff if you plan on replicating designs found on any design sharing website, this also shouldn't cost as much as u plan on buying cabinets from Nigeria. Let me add this:..space brings refreshment to a well designed house. it increases price and and easy marketing. if you can design a house like the examples seen. if you spend 30- 35mil in original cost you can easily make a 150% profit.

Prove me Right smiley

we all need a change.

you can find same minded knowledge filled argument in this topic
https://www.nairaland.com/699066/why-nigerian-architecture-uninspiring

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by FastShipping: 1:28pm On Jul 23, 2014
Beautiful!

Nigerian home designs are boring to say the least. The link you provided says it all..............

3 Likes

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by Willow08: 2:21pm On Jul 23, 2014
@fastshipping thanks for thinking in the same direction with me.

Another option for magnificent house styling is wall papers. beautifully designed. Fig: perfect-olivechair.jpg, you can see the combination of wood both in floorings and wallpaper, it gives you this natural look. we all need to up our improve our creativity. Paypal s already in nigeria, go on-line! and search for home designs, you can buy from any s.a store on-line and it will be shipped to you. give your home a new look.

P:S. i apologize for the grammatical errors, i didn't go through before posting.
For the records though wink

2 Likes

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by Willow08: 2:38pm On Jul 23, 2014
More pictures that are easy to replicate.

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by Willow08: 3:07pm On Jul 23, 2014
more.

I love this kitchen, glass walls, polished wooden floors, great cabinet arrangement, you can see the dining far ahead. useful sense of space! it will give you the best night view if you have pop works done. i wonder why there are so many walls in a Nigerian house. we care about a 90yrs life span. rubbish!!! with the present housing pattern Nigerians uses, your house will be outdated in less than 10 yrs. so wat is the essence?, glass walls have a life span of 20 - 35 yrs lifespan. at least every 7 to 8 yrs, you can change few things to meet up with the latest designs. but we must accept we are not flexible with innovations. we suffer ignorance in spite of the cash spent on buying the property. our educational system is lacking. when your environment is flooded with bulky ugly designs, there is no way u will break out. Study abroad, i advise you do. invest time in researching on-line. check schools that can meet up with your budget. it only takes dedication. i see a big void that needs to be filled. very lucrative way to double your investment faster, for those who dream big you can take a course in home designing in s.a preferably and float your company with a goal to build beautiful houses. Please we all need to dump our ugly building pattern, sometimes i wish Nigeria could be as developed as south Africa but it all starts with us, if we can redirect our thinking, if we can be more exposed. i think we will meet up quickly.

3 Likes

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by FastShipping: 3:40pm On Jul 23, 2014
I have several books, catalogues, and magazines about home design. The reason is to learn and see new things. Nigerian architects, builders and engineers tend to believe in brick walls , cement and paint so much they overlook other materials available for building beautiful homes. What happens to frameless glass doors? What happens to glass partitioning? It is very hard to see something different in Nigeria. Everyone builds the same way. I have 100s of saved images about building from foundation, to flooring, to wall paneling, to ceiling and roofing that you can imagine. Kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, sunroom pictures are not left out. I have tons of them. All these images are available by "googling" for what you need but the lazy architects just continue to recycle the same images of the past 30 years. Our architects are mostly inept especially the ones that are yet to seek knowledge in other advanced countries.

It baffles me when I come to nairaland and see people praising some works done in certain homes. I have seen it all.

I am building a contemporary home in Abeokuta, Nigeria and I gave it to a nairalander but Gosh, I fired the guy because he is all talk and no senses in any of his work. I never allowed him to show it here. I brought the design from the U.S and gave it to him to implement. I hate people who are bad at what they chose as profession. I fired him on the spot. I could have done a lot better than what he did.

4 Likes

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by Willow08: 4:31pm On Jul 23, 2014
FastShipping: I have several books, catalogues, and magazines about home design. The reason is to learn and see new things. Nigerian architects, builders and engineers tend to believe in brick walls , cement and paint so much they overlook other materials available for building beautiful homes. What happens to frameless glass doors? What happens to glass partitioning? It is very hard to see something different in Nigeria. Everyone builds the same way. I have 100s of saved images about building from foundation, to flooring, to wall paneling, to ceiling and roofing that you can imagine. Kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, sunroom pictures are not left out. I have tons of them. All these are images are available by "googling" for what you need but the lazy architects just continue to recycle the same images of the past 30 years. Our architects are mostly inept especially the ones that are yet to seek knowledge in other advanced countries.
It baffles me when I come to nairaland and see people praising some works done in certain homes. I have seen it all.
I am building a very large contemporary home in Lagos, Nigeria and I gave it to a nairalander but Gosh, I fired the guy because he is all talk and no senses in any of his work. I never allowed him to show it here. I brought the design from the U.S and gave it to him to implement. I hate people who are bad at what they chose as profession. I fired him on the spot. I could have done a lot better than what he did.

My brother, You shouldn't give up, if you want to build your house to your taste, you need to get an architect that is like minded. choose a very easy to understand but beautiful house design, there should be less wall but large spaces,instead of demarcating the kitchen why don't u leave it with the lounge. thereby reducing expenditures. I saw a post by a man who claimed that such designs led to technical problems...what technical problem? angry we always want easy things which is not helping at all. we also have abundance of wood so i think buying cheap shouldn't be a problem. while building always inspect and correct few mistakes made here or there. And God bless if you are an interior designer. it will be quite easy to in corporate designs found on-line.

Glass! smiley, many people don't know what beauty beholds a house with glass walls and frame-less doors. the figure below shows example of smart designs with cheap expenditures. polished wooden glass walls and windows and doors will do, especially if you are building a bali styled house (fig Unit12 voor) . cheap but beautiful,you don't need curtains rather go for window blinds. by the way, do we use window blinds in Nigeria?, its definitely alien to most Nigerians (smh)

@fastshipping. can't you replicated this bedroom if you were to supervise a carpenter? (Fig 4-Bedroom-design) .There is nothing special there. its just the choice of design that made the bedroom stunningly beautiful with simple details. as you can see, the light made it more rich in colours. we must incorporate all these elements when designing a house. don't be afraid to try new things.

1 Like

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by Willow08: 4:32pm On Jul 23, 2014
a Bali styled house

1 Like

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by FastShipping: 4:58pm On Jul 23, 2014
Willow08:

My brother, You shouldn't give up, if you want to build your house to your taste, you need to get an architect that is like minded. choose a very easy to understand but beautiful house design, there should be less wall but large spaces,instead of demarcating the kitchen why don't u leave it with the lounge. thereby reducing expenditures. I saw a post by a man who claimed that such designs led to technical problems...what technical problem? angry we always want easy things which is not helping at all. we also have abundance of wood so i think buying cheap shouldn't be a problem. while building always inspect and correct few mistakes made here or there. And God bless if you are an interior designer. it will be quite easy to in corporate designs found on-line.

Glass! smiley, many people don't know what beauty beholds a house with glass walls and frame-less doors. the figure below shows example of smart designs with cheap expenditures. polished wooden glass walls and windows and doors will do, especially if you are building a bali styled house (fig Unit12 voor) . cheap but beautiful,you don't need curtains rather go for window blinds. by the way, do we use window blinds in Nigeria?, its definitely alien to most Nigerians (smh)

@fastshipping. can't you replicated this bedroom if you were to supervise a carpenter? (Fig 4-Bedroom-design) .There is nothing special there. its just the choice of design that made the bedroom stunningly beautiful with simple details. as you can see, the light made it more rich in colours. we must incorporate all these elements when designing a house. don't be afraid to try new things.

grin grin grin

Walls? I hate brick walls in any form. I love homes built with polished woods and thick aluminium with glass. The four sides of the home I'm building are not 100% walls. The front side of will be 80% glass. The side where the kitchen, lounge and nook are located will be 30% glass. I love thick plain white glass. I love them so much I can't think about waking up every morning and just have to see walls everywhere. Glass and less wall allow more space in the house. It is also cheaper to have less walls.

Who needs curtains in a when you have glass walls or large windows. Curtains are part and parcel of our people. I rather have a wooden made window blinds behind my glass windows. It is very rare to see a house in Nigeria designed with some good window blinds. Our architects and interior designers need to go out and see what is out there.

All I need is time to go to Nigeria and get things done with a good designer and builder. I have just been recommended a guy on nairaland. I will be talking to him shortly.

2 Likes

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by FastShipping: 4:59pm On Jul 23, 2014
Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by Willow08: 5:16pm On Jul 23, 2014
oh!...good, i plan on getting a house plan here in s.a, by then a year must have been spent doing the design courses which i haven't chosen yet. The guy recommended to you, can he handle south African bali designs? because i'll need someone with some sense of creativity, even if it takes 3 yrs to build and design a house. it will be worth the wait.
Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by Willow08: 5:18pm On Jul 23, 2014
"i plan on buying a house plan from a south African architect"
Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by FastShipping: 5:36pm On Jul 23, 2014
Willow08: oh!...good, i plan on getting a house plan here in s.a, by then a year must have been spent doing the design courses which i haven't chosen yet. The guy recommended to you, can he handle south African bali designs? because i'll need someone with some sense of creativity, even if it takes 3 yrs to build and design a house. it will be worth the wait.

The guy seems to be different. He is somewhat fresh from little I have seen from him. I have to be there with him and contribute when the time to do it comes. I will have my catalogues and interior design magazines handy when it is time to go to Nigeria sometime in December.
Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by Willow08: 5:41pm On Jul 23, 2014
Nice!. do you have any pictures of his work or designs. you can post them or send them to my email. johnsonjesse42@yahoo.com.

1 Like

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by FastShipping: 5:50pm On Jul 23, 2014
Willow08: Nice!. do you have any pictures of his work or designs. you can post them or send them to my email. johnsonjesse42@yahoo.com.

The guy is called brabus in property section. I heard he can implement any design you have. He has the expertise to achieve any design you give him. He has impressed fellow Nigerians in diaspora.
Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by FastShipping: 6:11pm On Jul 23, 2014
Cheap and Simple Designs to replicate...

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by FastShipping: 6:12pm On Jul 23, 2014
designs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by FastShipping: 6:14pm On Jul 23, 2014
Simple designs...

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by FastShipping: 6:18pm On Jul 23, 2014
More affordable designs....

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by FastShipping: 6:22pm On Jul 23, 2014
MORE

1 Like

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by Willow08: 6:37pm On Jul 23, 2014
https://www.nairaland.com/1164230/best-architectural-interior-construction-works/13
i was going through similar post and i saw this guy's project. i think this guy is good to work with if you wanna resume your project. his work is creative..i think he can replicate designs if your budget is right........ your views.
Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by FastShipping: 6:40pm On Jul 23, 2014
Willow08: https://www.nairaland.com/1164230/best-architectural-interior-construction-works/13
i was going through similar post and i saw this guy's project. i think this guy is good to work with if you wanna resume your project. his work is creative..i think he can replicate designs if your budget is right........ your views.

Skimanski is very good as well. I spoke to him last week. I am one of his followers. My head says go with Skimanski while my heart says Brabus. I won't be making mistake going with any of the two guys.

1 Like

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by Willow08: 6:55pm On Jul 23, 2014
To me, Skimanski is preferable. he has a different style, i hope to work with him when I'm ready.
Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by Willow08: 7:02pm On Jul 23, 2014
is artificial grass expensive in Nigeria? I live here in s.a , so i don't know how much it will cost to have one in your lawn. any idea.
Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by FastShipping: 7:04pm On Jul 23, 2014
Willow08: To me, Skimanski is preferable. he has a different style, i hope to work with him when I'm ready.

I decided Skimanski last week but I spoke to someone in the last two days who convinced me to go with Brabus.

The two guys seem fresh and different from what others build in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by FastShipping: 7:04pm On Jul 23, 2014
Willow08: is artificial grass expensive in Nigeria? I live here in s.a , so i don't know how much it will cost to have one in your lawn. any idea.

I have no idea. I prefer real grass.
Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by Willow08: 7:16pm On Jul 23, 2014
well i don't know yet, i only judged by what i saw.

You think so!, i saw some natural looking grass on-line, you can order them if u plan on having a beautiful lawn instead of the boring concrete so called "backyard" we have. i think its less stressful and can be easily customized with stepping stones and tiles.

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by FastShipping: 8:05pm On Jul 23, 2014
The landscaping looks fantastic! I hate seeing all concrete crap that is so common in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by brabus(m): 8:22pm On Jul 23, 2014
Sir Willow08 and Sir FastShipping - I read every word of your comments and I'm thinking "this people got to be different". It sounds like you have a big taste! Possibly bigger than average Naija homeowners?? I'm so happy to be on your roll of honour with my highly respected associate. Skimanski is one of the few architect/designers that I truly respect. He's in this game for long, and his attitudes and work ethic reflect this.

I'm Brabus, a design consultant and an interior designer for young and upcoming build and design company (NextHome Builders) and the clients I work with don't have ftime to make decisions on designs and schedule, so I have to make a lot for them. The ultimate goal is to create a space that they will love, fits into their existing house and looks great for the family - all on a very friendly budget.

I ask the homeowner to send me images that give the "feeling" they are hoping for, the must-have and nice-to-have features. Part of my job as interior designer is being intuitive about what parts of a design are appealing to a client and finding the common thread in a variety of different styles that they pull together.

The NextHome Difference - We take YOUR taste and make it tasteful--we don't push our style on you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Interior Architecture In Nigeria Is Very Bad by FastShipping: 8:35pm On Jul 23, 2014
brabus: Sir Willow08 and Sir FastShipping - I read every word of your comments and I'm thinking "this people got to be different". It sounds like you have a big taste! Possibly bigger than average Naija homeowners?? I'm so happy to be on your roll of honour with my highly respected associate. Skimanski is one of the few architect/designers that I truly respect. He's in this game for long, and his attitudes and work ethic reflect this.

I'm Brabus, a design consultant and an interior designer for young and upcoming build and design company (NextHome Builders) and the clients I work with don't have ftime to make decisions on designs and schedule, so I have to make a lot for them. The ultimate goal is to create a space that they will love, fits into their existing house and looks great for the family - all on a very friendly budget.

I ask the homeowner to send me images that give the "feeling" they are hoping for, the must-have and nice-to-have features. Part of my job as interior designer is being intuitive about what parts of a design are appealing to a client and finding the common thread in a variety of different styles that they pull together.

The NextHome Difference - We take YOUR taste and make it tasteful--we don't push our style on you.

I hope to talk to you soon.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Landlord And His Dad Just Beat Up My Co-tenant / Land For Sale In Lagos And Ogun States / Building Collapse At Agege, Lagos, Five People Killed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.