Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,291 members, 7,807,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:31 AM

Story: Fast Lane - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Story: Fast Lane (15988 Views)

Down The Memory Lane - 1 / Shadrack Lane: A Short Story By Jean Abbey / Amanda : the journey down memory lane (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 9:31pm On Jul 24, 2014
tags: zzyxx, kingphilip, queenxtar, I'm re-posting.Thanks

Prologue...

Tade stirred the content of his glass cup lightly before swallowing it in one gulp, his body hardly registering the burning feel of the alcohol that just passed through his system. The reason hadn't been that he had gotten accustomed to the harsh taste of the cheapest spirit in 'The Sunset Place' he could afford, quite the contrary, his whole being stared fixedly across three tables from his, unto a slightly raised podium where a fair complexioned young lady, dressed in a long, fitted, low neckline, silver gown that sparkle like the ballroom lights, stood before a standing Microphone, singing like her world depended on it.

She was pouring her soul into the song, using every body rhythm, movement and facial gestures that expressed the sad note of her song.

She was rendering the 'Bibanke' piece by Asa.

Almost every eyes in the 'DiscoArena' of 'The Sunset Place' were fixed on her. Tade's were no different, his were trance-like, hypnotized by the charm of her powerful soprano voice and mesmerized by her beauty.

She was infact his infatuation.

The very reason why he came all the way from a remote village situated around the Lagos/ibadan expressway every weekend just to see and hear her sing.

Strong was his obsession that he knew almost everything about her - where she lived in Ikeja, the places her band performed, when she would lead the night's performance, that was almost everytime, the genre of music she was likely to sing, her temperament, how she related to her admirers and 'fans' - albeit very unruly, but he didn't care.

Because the more she pushed everyone away, it seems the more they got attracted to her, and he was no different.

He also knew that they sang every weekend at this exotic club located in Victoria Island, Lagos. And for which reason, he had never failed to stay the weekends at his cousin's who lived in Egbeda. A pattern that had continued undisrupted since last year after he had set his sights on her.

He had tried talking to her once when she had passed by his table, but had gone dumb struck by the proximity of his idol. It had seemed too real to be true. Not that she had noticed or given him as much as a glance anyway, she had always just walked by, exuding that haughty and arrogant aura that had become like her second skin.She never gave anyone in the club her time or entertained the audience who wanted to be more acquainted with her. After her performance, she literally disappeared and the highlife band took over. He had often heard people complain about this character of hers, but he couldn't care less, in his sight, she could do no wrong.

His attention returned to the subject of his mind travel. She was now singing with renewed fervor, her eyes glazed as if in tears...

''...Oh, when I'm crying, when I'm dying
Just leave me alone
I can cry a river or a waterfall
Just leave me alone, leave me alone
Moti f'oro mi f'oluwa o''

She sang even as the back up singers rendered the accompanying chorus to the song, and soon it ended.

The atmosphere in 'The DiscoArena' stilled like ice seconds after the sonorous singer ended her piece until an applause from a table at the back broke the ice and soon others joined in.

'wonderful... simply wonderful' Tade said under his breath, his hands still jamming in frenzied applaud. This was the reason why he loved his star crush, he thought excitedly.

'Thank you, thank you' said the singer in a velvety voice as she curtised.

Later, she and her crew were walking off the stage towards the door that presumely led backstage, her sober demeanour replaced by a cocky and haughty one as she walked gracefully out.

The applause had subsided now, and some of the diners were rising and making their way out, moving on to whatever fun the night still had in store for them.

Tade rose slowly on his feet, glanced at his watch, it was an hour before midnight.

Good, he thought. Thank God this was Lagos and he could easily make his way to Egbeda and in the morning, journey back to his home at the outskirt of Lagos. Another satisfying week had gone, seeing that his singing queen was still as he'd left her was worth all the trouble. The week ahead could only get better, he concluded and smiled before walking out.

2 Likes

Re: Story: Fast Lane by zyzxx(m): 9:48pm On Jul 24, 2014
u make me apy tonight thanks so much
Re: Story: Fast Lane by toykathy(f): 9:53pm On Jul 24, 2014
Princesa, God bless u plenty. I so much love dis story and hav bn prayin 4 its comback. Thz alot dear. Million hugs n kisses 4u
Re: Story: Fast Lane by losprince(m): 9:55pm On Jul 24, 2014
our own story smiley
Re: Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 9:59pm On Jul 24, 2014
Chapter 1.
The driver of the blue Mercedes Benz looked through the rear view mirror at the sleeping lady propped against the shoulder of his friend, but he couldn't tell if his friend was also sleeping due to the dark shades he wore. However, the knowledge that his friends could fall asleep in the midst of this precarious situation angered him. He sighed and thanked his stars that atleast the girl was presently calm after throwing a subconscious fit halfway through the journey. Again, his gaze travelled to his front seat companion, the one who put everyone in this mess due to his strange obsession for this unknown lady that suddenly just appeared.

He too was dozing off.

He sighed again in anger as he looked through his window at the identical buildings of King George Estate he just drove into, his uncertainties were returning. He shouldn't be doing this, he thought, shouldn't be putting his life at risk. What if someone caught them while they were dropping her off, what could they possibly put up as reason for being in custody of a missing girl? They were lucky enough that there wasn't the characteristic traffic jam at the Lagos/Ibadan expressway, and so had no meddling individual or police to deal with. Not that the set up in the car looked suspicious, but then, one still had to be extra careful and expect anything. And that his friends could sleep through the situation angered and made him more nervous. So, with a little more pressure than required, he tapped the sleeping friend at the front seat.

'bobo yi, kilode?(what is wrong with you this guy) How can you sleep in the middle of this situation?' he spat out angrily.

The tap startled his friend and made him almost jump out of his skin in fright, immediately which, he checked the back seat for the girl. He saw her there and then relaxed and wiped his face with his right hand.

'kilonshe! (what’s happening!)Did you have to do that?' he asked feeling indignant for rudely been awakened when there was no visible threat.

“a ti de be ni? (are we not there yet?)” the other asked undettered “…Incase you don't know, this is the estate you said she lives in. How am i supposed to know her exact house when they all look the same? For all we know, I could have driven past it by now, while you and...' he lashed on.

Hearing of the said estate had made the driver’s front seat companion peer through the window, his mind trying to recollect her exact address and at the same time drowning out the tirades of his friend but that didn't mean Yemi was pacified as he continued undeterred:

'...Iwo ati Tunde sun tabi pe kosi nko to shele ni (you and Tunde were sleeping like there is nothing happening). If I had known, I wouldn't have agreed to this at all. Obviously no one else here cares that this mission is a dangerous one. Who exactly did you say this Lady is? Tunde! Tunde!...' he called out angrily to the friend at the back seat, '...dide jo! (wake up), do you think you're in your private limousine? Infact you will be driving this car on our way back, so you will know how it feels, maybe you think i don't know how to sleep too, or that...'

'bobo yi dake jo! kini gbo gbo ariwo fun na?' (shut up! What is all the noise for). The one who had been locating the house cut in angrily at his friend's rambling.

And that did the trick in calming him down the nervous friend.

'Slow down the car, her house is just a few blocks away' he said to him then turned his attention to the back seat. 'how is she?' he asked the one called Tunde.

'she's still sleeping' he replied.

'good' he said. Then turned back to his driving friend, who he noticed was still visibly shaken from fright and his earlier outburst. He sighed. Yemi had never been an adventurous or daring one, always pulling back at the end, It was a wonder he had agreed to drive them here. Sighing again, he turned his attention back to road, they were now driving close to a Brown gate with 'The Okoro's Villa'bodly inscriped on it. It seemed like a pattern in this estate –to inscripe the names of the owners of the house on their gates – and tend to distinguish the rather look-alike houses from each other. That was definitely her house, he thought as he faced his friends.

'That is their house' he pointed. 'You all remember the plan right?' he asked.

They both nodded.

'good' he said and started the climb to the back of the car while Yemi drove past the said house, reversed the car a few blocks away, then drove back and stopped at the other side of the road to the Brown gate.

The two friends at the back scanned the estate for any sign of life. It was empty left for two people discussing way down the brick-tiled road. The beauty of estates, Tunde thought. Then the friend who had helped locate her house nodded his head as a sign for the others to act. Then immediately both their doors flew open and soon they were carrying the girl out of the car and crossing over to the Brown gate where they gently lay her down.

Tunde banged hard at the gate before they both hurried back to the car and Yemi zoomed off out of the estate, out of Lagos Island, towards the road that would connect them to the Lagos/Ibadan expressway and out of Lagos entirely. Yemi would later rest easy and smile, all his fear and nervousness dissipated. The fact that he had ended up driving the car back even though his earlier threats, forgotten. While Tunde would go back to his slumber party without a care and the third friend would pray for the girl, his celebrity crush to recover soon, so he could see her again and hear her sing.

Inside the compound of the Brown gate, the loud bang had brought the Security detail of The Okoro's villa trotting out of the small apartment that served as his home and office towards the gate. He was a tall, dark and slightly built man around his early or mid thirties. He was wearing a blue uniformed trouser and shirt that represented the security outfit he works for. This gave him an aura of importance than was probably necessary and instilled a certain sense of fear in visitors. But on a personal level, the feeling as well as the apperance was a ruse, because Emeka was more cowardly than brave - the reason why his heart thumped even as he walked towards the gate, fearful and cautions. His fear wasn’t unconnected to the recent kidnap that had rocked the household.

And so, he hesitated when his hands hit the lock, peered through the small opening on the gate but found no one. His heartbeat doubled in fright that moment as he battled whether to open the gate or not. It was over a week since the first daughter of the house had been kidnapped and he had been given strict warnings to be cautious of people he opened the gate for especially as the kidnappers hadn't stated a ransom or made any demands yet, one was not sure who their next target was.

He checked his watch; it was some minutes past 5pm which meant that the general Estate gate was still open. After battling with the idea of ignoring or answering the caller, he finally gave in to curiosity, and quietly unlocked the gate to peer out. What he saw sent him running back inside and shutting the gate immediately. And once in, he leaned against the gate, breathing heavily until few minutes later, his mind settled to process the image he had just seen. Then he shot out again and cautiously approached the unconscious body lying on the floor.

'Angel!' he screamed on recognition, rushed back into the compound and started running towards the 'Main House' - a one storey building situated a great distance from the exit gate.

The Okoro's villa is one of the biggest mansions in King George Estate. It Spans across thousands of square meters and houses three other mini buildings apart from the 'Main house'. One of the mini buildings housed the personal body guards of Chief Badmus Okoro, another, a three bedroom flat, served as home to the first son of the family and then the two-room Boys quarter served as Emeka's home and office. These are also in addition to a family garden, set-up in the Left wing of the compound, and the fleets of cars that adorned the right.

Simply put, their home was large, beautiful and spacious.

The reason why it looked fool.ish for the security guard to think that running to the main house was the best option to quickly alert the Okoro's of the sudden return of their missing daughter, instead of using the intercom in his room that linked to all the buildings in the compound. Halfway to the main house, the foo.lishness of his race dawned on Emeka as he quickly reversed his step and bolted back to his station to use the intercom.

'hello hello...' he said while still trying to catch his breath as soon as someone picked up.

'Oga Emy what is it? Calm down' came a feminine voice from the other end.

'Oluchi? Yes...oh...Angel...Angel is here!' he rasped.

'Who is Angel, what are you saying?' came the puzzled reply.

'I say I just see Madam Angela outside the gate now now! Tell Oga and Madam to come quick quick...' he went on.

'Sister Ada is here?' The female at the other end asked doubtfully.

'yes...come now now. Tell oga...'

She wasn't listening again, but was screaming for her parents, and so he dropped the phone and hurried back outside to see if she was still there. She was, laying the way he’d left her. But he refused to go near her, instead searched the now empty road for anything unusual, probably seeking to find the culprits still lurking around, but saw no one.

He was soon joined by a younger female, average heighted, dark and in her teens, supposedly the one who had picked his call earlier.

She shot straight for the body, knelt by it slowly but also refused to make any contact. She looked at the guard as if to ascertain if it was safe to touch her. The guard only shrugged and looked through the gate as the others approached. A male, older than the kneeling girl, but of the same complexion and probably in his early twenties arrived first.

'is she alive?' he asked as he walked towards his sisters.

'I don't know' the kneeling girl replied in a shaky voice.

'then move away, what are you just doing there' he scolded, knelt down, and made to place his ear on her chest in a bid to hear her heartbeat.

'Gini k'unu ne me?' (what are you people doing?) A voice thundered suddenly cutting off his doctor act in midair. The duo turned to see that it was their father and immediately stood up and moved away.

'why is she still there enh? I thought you people would have carried her in by now' he continued sternly.

'nwa mo! Eh nwa mo, Chukwu dalu...eh...' cried a woman who just arrived. She was of a fairer skin like the subconscious girl lying on the floor. Her lace wrapper was on the verge of falling off from her waist but she didn’t seem to care as she went straight to the body and flung herself on it, raising it up to lean against her bosom, while she felt the temple and rocked her daughter still crying.

'my daughter is back, look at the bandage on her head, who knows what they did to her, wicked people, God will surely punish them!...eh...nwa mo...thank you father' she cried and swore.

'I can't understand all of you at all! Does this open space look safe to you? Bia woman, get yourself away from her, let her be carried inside' The father thundered, his face creased in anger.

'No oh no oh, no one can take her away from me again, not this time around' she replied defiantly still rocking her daughter.

'for Christ sake! The kidnappers might still be lurking around, do you want them to come and carry her again' he shouted again.

The word 'kidnappers' seemed to make an impact on them all this time around as they all became alert, each scanning the environment cautiously for any furtive movement.

'oh oh oh…chowa nu ha, keep looking for them. It’s very obvious I’m wasting my time here. Emeka shut my gate now I’m going back inside' the father added sternly as he started for the house.

'Please chief don't leave us here, okay come…come and carry her inside...' the mother cried but still made to move to stand.

'Emeka go and help Gabriel carry her inside' Chief retreated and ordered.

'yes sir' he said and walked towards where she lay.

'please be careful' Mrs Okoro said as she reluctantly let go of her still not conscious body.

And together with Gabriel, they pried the girl away from her mother and gently carried her in while the others followed closely behind. The little drama that had just played out minutes ago barely causing a scene or drawing the attention of the estate neighbours.

2 Likes

Re: Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 10:01pm On Jul 24, 2014
'So chief, I've run the checks, her vitals are stable and the bandage on her forehead is clean' Doctor Eze, the Okoro’s long family doctor said as he walked down the spiral steps that led directly into the parlor.

He was a dark skinned man in his mid fifties and had a copious streak of gray hair on a friendly face. He was wearing a white shirt tucked into a black trouser, a stethoscope hung loosely on his neck.

'Thank God for that' Chief Okoro said and stood up from where he had since sat sipping wine to calm his nerves. He dropped the glass cup on a side table and started walking towards the Doctor.

Oluchi, the youngest daughter was sitting pensively on one of the couch, her eyes fixed vaguely at the flat screen television hanging a distance away, but they shifted now to where her dad and the doctor stood discussing.

Gabriel on the other hand, was lying relaxed on another couch, a white ear-piece dangling from his ears while his hands worked away on his Ipad. He seemed not to have noticed the arrival of the doctor.

'…but I still think she needs to be in the hospital for proper check up' the doctor continued.

'no, no doctor, it’s far too risky like I said. Until we know what these boys are up to, we can't expose her yet' Chief replied in his slightly Igbo accent, shaking his head for emphasis.

'well, if you say so, I have no other option than to agree. Especially since it looks like she was well cared for wherever she's coming from' the doctor replied, too tired to continue arguing with his headstrong friend.

'so, is she awake already?' Chief asked.

'not at all, she appears to have been heavily sedated too, but she's breathing normal...and please she shouldn't be disturbed, at least for now'

The chief scoffed. 'Tell that to her mother' he said. Ever since Angela was carried to her room upstairs, her mother had not left her side, not even when the doctor arrived and asked everyone out, she had still remained adamant.

'oh, just let her be' the doctor replied tiredly. 'she misses her daughter, we can understand' he continued and started for the exit with chief following behind.

'will you inform the police about her return?' he asked soon as they got to the door.

'Nba nu, I prefer we keep this in the family till we are sure of what's happening here. It’s not like they've not been able to achieve anything since, ndi ara ka han bu (they are mad people)' Chief finished angrily.

'It’s okay. Take it easy Badmus' the Doctor said and patted his friend his shoulder. 'I guess we should just be glad that she has miraculously returned...I will make out time to come see her tomorrow, you should all just rest.' he completed and pushed open the door.

'Thank you Eze' Chief Okoro said, truly grateful that his friend could make it down to the estate though the late hour and his very tight schedule. Not forgetting his discretion.

'Anytime friend' the doctor said and started walking down to his car parked a little distance from the 'Main House'.

'should I call one of my guards to escort you?' Chief called out.

'Don't worry Chief, I'll be fine' the Doctor called back.

'Okay' chief said quietly and turned back into the parlor where he almost collided with Oluchi, her face wet from tears.

'ogini kwa?' (What is it) he asked, stretching his arms towards her.

'will sister Ada be okay' she cried, running into his waiting arm.

'Is that why you're crying enh? If you were the one lying there now, will she cry for you? I’m sure Angela will never do so. Biko ficha anya gi, that girl is not worth your tears. (please clean your eyes)' her father scolded gently.

'but she's not fine, there's the bandage on her head and...and...she has not opened her eyes since, I don't want her to die' she cried on.

'Oluchi! Meshe onu gi! she won’t die. The doctor says she is fine, so she is. Ndo, e be zi na (stop crying)' her father soothed, very touched at the sincerity of his last child. This was the very reason why he loved her so. Her innocence and affection were genuine, way better than the one lying upstairs now or his other children for that matter. She had the respect and honesty which her elder sister had lost years ago, it was at times like this that he wished she was his first and only daughter.

Knowing Angela very well for her tactics, he had half expected the kidnap to be a ploy to extort money from him, but with this new development of her sudden arrival, he was curious to know what she and her cohorts were up to, and very ready to play their games to the very last. He had no reason not to believe that it was Angela coming up with a ploy to get back at him for asking his guard to hit her some weeks ago, it was therefore necessary to keep the police and the public at bay and settle it the family way when she recovered. This time around, he wouldn’t tamper mercy even if her mother begged with her life. The more he withheld the more rotten and out of control she became. But though their differences, he couldn't deny that a part of him was happy that she had returned quite unharmed, she was his daughter after all.

'ngwa, since your mother will never leave Angela's side today, go and see what Albert is up to in the kitchen' he whispered to Oluchi.

'okay daddy' Oluchi sniffed, slowly tearing herself from her father’s reassuring embrace. Her big sister was alive and back, she thought, maybe they could finally get to be friends. She concluded as she walked towards the kitchen.

Chief Okoro smiled proudly as he watched his favourite child go, then made to go continue with his drinking when he noticed that his younger son, Gabriel had not moved from his previous position, instead he was smiling animatedly as he typed away on his phone, oblivious to his environment and acting as if nothing unusual had happened in their lives today.

The smile left chief Okoro's face as he marched angrily towards him. Gabriel noticing that his father was directed his way, quickly jumped to his feet, drew down the ear piece and stashed it away with his phone at his back, very aware of what his father could do to it.

'Where did you say your Ikechukwu went to?' chief started angrily.

'I've not seen him since this morning' he replied a bit defiantly.

'then what are you smiling about?'

'sir?'

'I asked why you're smiling like a monkey. Anuofia! Doesn't the condition of your sister shake you at all? Oh, I’m not surprised; you're all alike, all of you! Caring only for yourselves, but just know that everything you do will surely hit back at you. Angela, your foo.lish sister thought she was troubling me, making me shout every day, but you see...' he continued angrily.

Gabriel had however since drowned out his father's ramblings. As far as he was concerned, nothing had happened nor changed. He and Angela hadn't been the best of siblings, not then, not now. If anything, he was glad that she was safely back, because that meant by Monday, he would definitely be heading back to school, enough family drama for one week, he mused. The only wished now was that his father would shut it already, although he dared not utter it.

'...so, you can go back to your school and follow those riff rats, your own will be worst, very worst I tell you! But don't expect me to leave my business like I did in Angela's case, I will not dare it, you hear!' Chief Okoro completed, his forehead creased in anger.

'Sorry' Gabriel replied plainly and started walking out, headed for his room. Enough overbearing father for one day too.

'sorry for yourself'. His father returned angrily, not in the least pacified. As far as he was concerned, all his children, except Oluchi, were out to kill him before his time, and the last thing he would do was to let them succeed. “stupi.d boy” he muttered as he made for his seat to continue with his drink.

'Mark...Who do you think Alhaji would pick for the final showdown?' Aisha, a fair complexioned, pretty lady, in her mid twenties asked from where she sat cross-legged in the front seat of the speeding Jeep.

The atmosphere in the car had been quiet ever since the journey began making her feel very uncomfortable hence the need to start a conversation with Mark, the back seat occupant, even though she would have preferred conversing with the driving guy instead, but since he wasn't a guy for simple talk, Mark would do. They were actually returning from a hotel where they had gone to make enquiries on a Senator whose activities they had been trailing for a while, and as one used to a continued life of action and fun, she felt like choking with the unbearable silence in the speeding jeep.

'The regulars...obviously' A Masculine voice replied seconds later from the backseat.

'I hope I make the list.' she said, thankful that Mark wasn't his usual mischievous self. “since the 'you-know-who' saga started” she continued, “… everything and everyone has been such a moody kill-joy...' she rolled her eyes now and cast a quick glance at the driving guy, 'thankfully, its blowing over, our lives are back on track - without an annoying little bi.tch around - that is - and now, I simply want some action back in my life' she concluded a bit excitedly.

'never a dull moment huh?' Mark stressed lazily.

'I live for the fun baby' she replied in a sultry voice.

'Then I should also introduce you to my world of fun?' he teased, feeling like indulging her a little.

'oh please, I think I'll pass. I know where the real men are, and you Mark, don't cut the list'

'hmm...Maybe Smooth can help us decide who the real men here are' Mark said, directing at the driving guy in a bid to lure him into the banter. The guy was just too reserved and stiff, he thought.

In response, the guy called Smooth briefly turned to Aisha and forced a fake smile, then returned his attention back to the road. The smile only a passing shadow and his face expressionless, distanced and wandering.

He's a 6ft guy, in his early thirties, spotting a clean shaven head adorned by a nicely trimmed goatee. His handsome and innocent face coupled with his calm, controlled and reserved demeanour earned him the alias 'Smooth', otherwise his real name was Kamal.

'I take that to mean that I’m the real deal then' Mark continued undeterred. He hadn't expected much anyways.

'don't flatter yourself. He's just been a spoil sport 'cause his pretty little girlfriend left him' Aisha said more out of spite than a need to make a comeback at Mark.

'maybe you can...'

1 Like

Re: Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 10:07pm On Jul 24, 2014
Kamal's phone rang just then, disrupting any further banter from Mark. They were already irritating him with their ridiculous banter anyways, he thought as he lazily picked up the phone. Soon his brows arched in surprise as he saw whom the caller was. His change in expression piqued Aisha's interest and she sat up abruptly, watching him like he was some exquisite pottery on a show glass. Everything about Kamal had always fascinated her since she had laid eyes on him.

'what is it?' Kamal asked plainly soon as he picked the call, his voice masking the emotions that had played on his face seconds ago.

Aisha watched him receive the call, watched as his face that had been set in a stern, moody cast throughout the day ease into surprise...then unbelief...then elation and then back to the masked cool and nonchalant exterior that characterized his handsome face. She wondered who or what the caller had said to make him so.

'Are you absolutely sure about this?' she heard him ask.

'okay' he said and ended the call.

The atmosphere in the car turned quiet again, Kamal said nothing about the call he just received, his face gave nothing away either and no one dared ask him. Aisha was inwardly burning with curiosity, and a sudden feeling of foreboding fell on her, but she kept mute.

Mark on the other hand couldn’t care less. He felt it wasn't his business to pry especially since Kamal wasn't one to be pressurized into doing anything. The guy was a world on his own, hardly did he talk or associate with the others -something borne out of character than pride, and the only person that could get through to him was his father. He'd heard rumours about some sort of past between them. And sincerely, he didn't care one bit what they did with their lives, he was only in for the money he could get. Aisha was simply dumb worrying over him or trying to...

'Mark, who were those appointed by my dad to handle Angie's case?' Kamal asked all of a sudden, cutting into his thoughts.

'err...err...I think Thunder, Scorpion and James. Why?' he replied.

'Thunder was part of the operation?'

'yeah…headed it. Why? Any trouble?'

Kamal didn't answer; instead he glanced briefly at Aisha who was trying hard to look detached and nonchalant, then surprisingly, a smile, though very brief, crept up his face. It was that smile Aisha knew she would recognize anywhere, the smile she thought made him look more happier and friendlier, a smile that was genuine and was as rare as rain in the desert, a smile that had always melted her insides whenever she saw one, the 'kill me softly' smile she'd often described to her friends whenever she spoke about him to them. It was that smile alright, but she wouldn’t have been this bothered since the other person that could make him do so was dead. Or was she?

This time also, her insides melted alright, but not in the giddy, floating kind of way. It burned with pure anger, jealousy and spite for the girl whom she knew could make him let down his 'smooth and in-control' guard to smile deeply so, her heart sank deeper as she contemplated the possibility of that girl still being alive, lending credence to her recent feeling of foreboding. Slowly, she turned facing the window, trying to hide the emotions of dread and confusion that were threatening to engulf her and make a mess of the cool, confident and in-control image she had built over the years. The last thing she also wanted was to let Kamal know how she truly felt towards his little singing b.itch for she didn't want to lose the luxury of his priceless friendship.

So caught up with grief and ruminating was she that she didn't notice that the Jeep had stopped and Kamal was now reversing the car around.

'Kamal what is it, where are we going?' she asked a little alarmed when she finally did.

Kamal didn't answer. His eyes stayed focused on the road as he tried to avert oncoming cars.

'Mark?' she called, peering back at him for answer.

He gave her a casual shrug in response. He too was curious but not impatient, plus he didn't really care what the dude did, he had always acted like one being chased by some unknown demons, blowing hot one moment and cold the other, the best he could do if worst came to worst was to alight and find his way home. He was in for the money and couldn’t care what they all did with their lives.

'Smooth, I asked where we are going?' she tried again, turning back at him.

After a protracted silence, he simply replied: 'To see for ourselves'. And then he sped off.

Kamal's mind rolled over the scenario that had played out at the Okoro's villa as he drove into his two-bedroom bungalow flat situated in a secluded and quiet street along the Apapa expressway. Even though her obstinate and un-cooperative father had refused them getting anywhere near the main house, he was sure that something was amidst and his insider couldn't have mis-informed him.

The poor guy was scared stiff of his threats to have done otherwise and play pranks on him, because even though he wasn't big on murder, he wouldn't blink a second while he shot a hole through his pathetic heart if that had been a trap set up for him. That definitely meant Angie was alive, unbelievable but very plausible.

The situation had however left him more confused than happy. How could she still be alive, especially since Thunder spearheaded her case. The infamous Thunder, known to be one of his father's ruthless men, couldn't have done a messy job as to let an unarmed 25years old girl have a second chance on life. There was definitely a catch somewhere. But still, whichever case it was, he was glad that his feisty, high-spirited and cocky Angela - scratch that - Angie was back.

For she had made it plainly clear to him that she never ever liked to be called Angela. Remembering now how she had seriously set her face to explain how Angela sounded so dumb and non reflective of her aspiring superstar image, made a smile spread across his face. Her total obsession with music and stardom had always intrigued him, gave him something else more pleasant to think about. She was indeed the best thing that had happened to him since his return to Nigera.

And so, with his feelings still ambivalent and his thoughts unsettled, he rode his Prado Jeep to a halt and headed straight for his wine rack soon as he entered his parlour. And as he relished the burning feel of the alcohol calming his fray nerves, he went to recline on one of the couch. But now, relaxed and ruminating over the issue again, he discovered a problem.

What if his father became aware of her reappearance? She would be dead and for real this time around!

Considering that possibility, made him shoot up on his feet. His fist tightened when he realized that he would have himself to blame if Alhaji knew of her reappearance. For one, he hadn't been discreet about the call he'd received on the road, neither had he acted wisely when he reversed and drove straight to her house to 'see for himself', especially when Aisha, who was trying hard to make an impression on his father that she was loyal and able to handle the affairs as well as the males, lurked around.

She had watched from a distance as Mark tried to trade territorial supremacy with Chief Okoro's guards. It had taken his timely intervention to calm the face-off from escalating and turning into an unnecessary shoot out. Something Mark was well capable of. And now he was worried that they could squeal to his father, if not Mark, then definitely Aisha. Matters weren't even better as he had dropped them to go relay their findings on the Senator to his dad while he'd drove straight down here, needing to clear his head.

How much more silly can I get? Kamal wondered furiously as he paced round the middle of his marble-tiled living room.

Some Minutes later his phone rang. Picking the shrieking piece, his worst fear was confirmed. It was Alhaji calling.

'I hear your girlfriend is back?' Alhaji said immediately Kamal picked up. He wasn't one for idle chatter, had always considered himself an important and busy person and believed in tackling situations head on, giving no room for hesitation.

'And I don't know what you mean' Kamal replied, His voice betraying no emotion.

'Now Kamal, you should know I don't play games, that girl was supposed to be dead.' he reiterated.

'I don't see how that is any of my business since I wasn't part of the operation or was consulted before it was executed.' Kamal replied flatly.

'walai Kamal! I hope you have not infiltrated my men with your stupi.d Arabian mentality? Or by Allah, you're not working with my opponent against me, because I swear, insha Allah, I shall surely send you to meet your usel.ess mother if you dare me!' Alhaji spat, his intonation taking on the typical Hausa colouration. Something that became pronounced whenever he was seriously angry, like right now.

Kamal's blood heated with the mentioning of his mother. The fact that his father would never allow her tortured soul rest in peace, made him wish at times like this that things had not gone wrong, and he had shot him instead of her. How he hated his father and wished for any means he could get to bring him and his dynasty down. But the problem was, his father was simply untouchable. Highly connected to the country's powerful political personalities, with contacts in places that mattered, and the very useful services in carrying out their political dirty works he rendered, he was way above the law.

And there's not forgetting to mention his unreasonable paranoia - the reason for his mother's death and the reason he presently wanted a harmless 25 years old aspiring superstar dead - he was no match for his personal vendetta, not in a wide berth.

'Are you still listening to me?' Alhaji shouted angrily bringing Kamal back from his mind travel. 'Even though Thunder will definitely pay for this stu.pid mistake of his, you should also know that I will definitely finish what I started Insha Allah!' He completed and cut the call.

Kamal stared blankly at his phone, if he had felt threatened by his father's words, his face didn't show. With a sigh, he sank back into the couch and drained the last of his drink. So much for acting on impulse, he thought. His uncharacteristic excitement had endangered Angie's life, and though he was reluctant to admit it, he knew she was as good as dead. His father never made empty threats.

Yet the unanswered question remained what had gone wrong? If Alhaji was as surprised by her arrival as he was, then who was playing the games here? And since things had taken an un-redeemable down turn, there was little he could do to save her life, for he hadn't been able to do so before. Even though she was the best thing to have ever happened to him in a long while, he was no hero; plus it was her stubbornness had gotten her here in the first place. What was so hard in her calling before she came visiting?

end of chapter 1

1 Like

Re: Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 10:08pm On Jul 24, 2014
zyzxx:
u make me apy tonight thanks so much
you're welcome. but just exercise patience cos i dont think i will update to where you stopped. the train had started not the less and i will finish this story. thanks

@toykathy
thank you for loving the story, you are a wonderful reader. but like i told zzyxx, you will have to hold on.

@ losprince
why the face na?
Re: Story: Fast Lane by timpaker(m): 10:13pm On Jul 24, 2014
Finally!!! grin Now, how do I fast-forward to the chapter I last read? Please keep the update coming....cheesy
Re: Story: Fast Lane by zyzxx(m): 10:19pm On Jul 24, 2014
princesa:
you're welcome. but just exercise patience cos i dont think i will update to where you stopped. the train had started not the less and i will finish this story. thanks

@toykathy
thank you for loving the story, you are a wonderful reader. but like i told zzyxx, you will have to hold on.

@ losprince
why the face na?
no problem take ur time miss, it gud we know the ship already sail
Re: Story: Fast Lane by losprince(m): 10:41pm On Jul 24, 2014
princesa:
@ losprince
why the face na?
wrong face smiley edited
Re: Story: Fast Lane by Queenxstar(f): 10:54pm On Jul 24, 2014
Hurrah!!
Re: Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 11:24pm On Jul 24, 2014
timpaker:
Finally!!! grin Now, how do I fast-forward to the chapter I last read? Please keep the update coming....cheesy
lol...the remote is with me, so patience. wink
Re: Story: Fast Lane by toykathy(f): 12:24am On Jul 25, 2014
I'm not in a hurry. Thz once more

zyzxx: no problem take ur time miss, it gud we know the ship already sail
Re: Story: Fast Lane by arck1: 6:30am On Jul 25, 2014
Keep it coming cool waiting for the last chapter we stoped

Princesa, you don't inform me again angry not fair grin
Re: Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 8:57am On Jul 26, 2014
arck1:
Princesa, you don't inform me again angry not fair grin
so sorry, it skipped my mind.sad

@deiok, missterious, missmossy, adesomething, underage, you're all invited again.
Re: Story: Fast Lane by Missmossy(f): 9:01am On Jul 26, 2014
princesa:

@deiok, missterious, missmossy, adesomething, underage, you're all invited again.
Present macheesy **sips my orange juice**

2 Likes

Re: Story: Fast Lane by hollermie: 12:34pm On Jul 26, 2014
Nice story, can't wait. For the subsequent chapters
Re: Story: Fast Lane by Deiok(m): 3:26pm On Jul 26, 2014
princesa:

wowww, we are finally back on track. Nice one princesa.

1 Like

Re: Story: Fast Lane by ESIXLOVE: 11:24pm On Jul 26, 2014
enough of this pleasantries. Princesa come and update now,
OR................
Re: Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 11:29pm On Jul 26, 2014
ESIXLOVE:
enough of this pleasantries. Princesa come and update now,
OR................
no vex bikosad
Re: Story: Fast Lane by ESIXLOVE: 2:00pm On Jul 27, 2014
princesa:
no vex bikosad
iyammi!!!, i dey vex already.
Re: Story: Fast Lane by kingphilip(m): 8:33pm On Jul 27, 2014
wow xoxoxoxoxo Tnx the sunset for doing this I really appreciate
more grease to ur elbow princesca I'm with u on this
Re: Story: Fast Lane by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jul 27, 2014
Go gir!!!

Princesa is back on track!
That's my E-sis. grin

We no dey fall hand for Nairaland.

(That been said...)

Come update sharp-pally angry
Re: Story: Fast Lane by losprince(m): 11:02pm On Jul 27, 2014
missmossy drop that orange juice and give me a massage while we wait for princessa's update cool
Re: Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 10:16am On Jul 30, 2014
Chapter 2.
Mrs Ann Okoro, Angela’s mum, was seated at the only chair in Angela's room with her hands folded across her bosom. She stared with a troubled heart at her daughter who had refused to steer back to consciousness four days after she was brought in. A little distance away was Angela's friend, a dark complexioned female, sitting on the bed where she lay and gently stroking her arm while peering intently at the Drip hanging on a stand close by, trickling through the pipe into her left hand.

'Ma, I really think she needs to see a doctor' she said, turning around to face Mrs. Okoro.

'My daughter, I don't know why her father is proving so stubborn' she replied, her voice sounding like one in the verge of tears, like she had been crying all the while she had sat there.

'Its okay ma, please don't work yourself up' Angela’s friend consoled.

'but I don't know what else to do, since Friday she has been like this. The Doctor wants us to bring her in for proper check up, but her father...her father...chief… I don’t know the kind of excuses he’s giving about keeping her safe. I think it’s because of…” A pause and a sniff, “but how can he still be angry at Angela, even in this condition? I just can't under...' she trailed off, unable to continue as the tears threatened to spill.

'Maybe he has a reason...'

'what stu.pid reason does he have? Just tell me the stu.pid reason Badmus has for this!' she cut in sharply. Few minutes later, her earlier resolve to keep calm before her daughter’s closest friend broke as she melted into fresh tears.

Angela's friend stared confusedly at the older woman as she whimpered, not knowing the right thing to say or how awkward it would seem if she went over to console her. They weren’t that much of acquaintance and Oluchi was the only family of Angie's that she was close to. Yet, overcome with pity for the woman whose features Angie had duly inherited, she let go of her inhibitions and strolled over to where she sat, placed a hand on her arm in a form of pseudo-comfort. Given the situation, it was the best she could offer. The older woman had not seemed to mind anyways; instead she subconsciously grew closer to seep from the little ray of comfort the younger lady offered.

'Since Friday, Angela has been like that' Mrs Okoro said and sniffed minutes later. She was much calmer now and glad for the sincere comfort, especially since none of her family seemed to take Angie's case serious. Gabriel had gone back to school, Oluchi went for her W.A.E.C extra class and Chief Okoro had left for work with their eldest son. She wasn’t bothered about her boutique in Lagos Island, neither had it cross her mind all morning. Even though the Doctor's report had been optimistic and reassuring, it hadn't allayed her fears or made her less worried, she didn’t think all could be fine; it would be, only when her daughter could actually speak to her. And to make that possible, she reasoned, she had to find a way to make Chief see reasons, but if he was still adamant, then defiling his orders was the next plan of attack. The new thought process made her agitate her folded hands like a woman preparing for a fight. Her previous sober state replaced by anger and defiance while her mind plotted on how best to defile her husband's order.

Angela's friend left her when she noticed the mood change and went to seat at the foot of the bed. She too had given in to her ruminations and was now feeling remorse over when her friend's predicament had come to her knowledge.

Just yesterday, she had called Oluchi to find out why Angela's phone had not been going through; there she had learnt of Angela's kidnap and her miraculous reappearance. So, hearing her mum repeat that Angela had been back since Friday made her feel worse for letting her anger over their fight consume her, but it was not as worse as knowing that she might not have a chance to apologize anytime soon. Then there was the fact of how certainly angry Angie would be if she woke up and learnt the truth- that her best friend had not even been aware that she had been kidnapped. Sighing dejectedly, she looked towards the motionless form of Angela and then back to her angry and worked up mother, hoping that she too would not start asking questions about her absence.

So caught up in their thoughts were there that they didn't notice Angela's left fingers move slightly or see when her left hand slowly rose and dropped. Her body soon caught on with a slow stir while her eyes fluttered open - thinly at first as she tried to adjust her retina to the light, then wider, glancing with fear and confusion at the room. It was only when she tried to speak, moving her whole body in the process that the duo realized that they were not actually alone, immediately they shot to her side like lightning.

'come ma, she’s awake!' Her friend said excitedly when she reached her side.

'yes, she is! My Chi be praised. How are you feeling?' her mum asked happily as she sat by her side and felt her temple.

Angela face however held confusion as she tried to sit up.

'No no no, don't try to stand, you’re still weak' her friend said, gently pushing her down.

'I...I want to stand' Angela protested weakly '...and I..I want water'

'water? Go get water!' Mrs Okor said, not wanting to leave her daughter’s side.

'yes yes' her friend replied and rushed out.

'Angela, it’s me, your mother, are you feeling better? Does your head hurt' she asked with a worried tone, noticing the alarmed and confused look on her daughter's face as she stared around the room.

'here's the water' Her friend returned then wielding a glass. “she has to sit up to drink it' she added as she set the cup down on a bedside stool.

“help me lift her up” Mrs Okoro said standing up. Then together, they propped Angela against the wall, positioning the drip-stand closer and stuffing the pillow at her back for comfort.

'so how are you feeling now?' her friend asked, collecting the cup from her after she had drank, her eyes carefully sizing them both. “need another?” she asked.

Angela shook her head, the effort causing her headache, and made her hold her head, while her face contorted in pain and disorientation.

'Does your head hurt? We should call the Doctor ma' Angela's friend said.

'We should, my phone is in my room, stay with her let me get it' her mum agreed and made to rise.

'But who are you people?' Angela asked just then putting everybody off balance.

'what do you mean' her mum asked looking dazed as she sat back on the bed.

'Angie…are you alright?' her friend asked perplexed.

'who is Angie and...and who are you people?' Angela asked, her eyes betraying fright.

Both women exchanged confused glances.

'Okay, stop this if it’s a joke, you're freaking your mum out, what do you mean by who we are?' her friend blurted.

'I swear I don't know you people!' she cried still, tiny sweat breaking on her face.

'Chimo! What is wrong with her?' Mrs Okoro asked looking from one to the other.

'honestly I don't know” her friend replied.

'There was a man, and...and a house...but not this one...it's blue...where is he? And...and please where am I? What do you people want from me? I don't know what I did, just let me go...' Angela continued hysterically.

'Please go and call the Doctor!' her friend called, now convinced that something was amidst with her friend.

'On my way' her mum said and rushed out.

After her mum left, She took a deep breath and said: 'Okay Angie, your mum is out, if this is some ploy, trust me, I won’t spill, so quit acting the drama because you're getting me scared here...' she climbed up the bed as she spoke and cautiously made her way to where Angela sat propped up against the wall. '...am sorry about our fight, but you were over the board with your arrogance, breaking up with the band just like that? I mean what were you even thinking? And then you called me bitter and jealous. Rose, jealous? So I think I have every right to be angry at you. But...but I had no idea you were kidnapped, the crew also did not know, nobody did. You know I would have come since if I knew, so please whatever the...'

Angela's ear piercing scream cut her off and sent her scurrying away from the bed in fright and confusion; she collided backwards with the mirror stand casing Angela's collection of makeup scatter on the floor. She had screamed because she had tried to touch her.

'Don't come near me, don't you dare come near me' Angela cried in fright, looking around for a means of escape, she was now sweating profusely.

Standing shocked against the mirror, her heart raced rapidly in panic, fear and unbelief as she watched her best friend look so uncharacteristically scared and confused, her mind telling her to not believe her ploy but to keep pushing through.

'How can you not remember me Angie? This is Rose...Rosemary, your best friend since university...' she said pointing at herself. '...and this is your room, your house. We are both singers, but you're the better singer, the lead singer in our band, some say you even sing like her, she's your role model...' she said pointing at a Beyonce wallpaper hanging conspicuously at a side of the wall. “...We sing at DiscoArena every weekend, remember? Don't you also remember Josh, Chris, TeeJay, Amaka...'

'I don't know any of them, and I don't know you! Stop explaining those things to me! Just let me go' Angela cried. The more Rose tried to piece her life together, the more she felt lost, trapped and out of place. She sincerely didn’t know her or what she was talking about. 'I don't know you, please' she added, feeling like a trapped bird desperately seeking freedom.

'what happened here?' Mrs Okoro who entered just then asked, looking from Angela to the scattered items on the floor and back to Rose propped against the mirror desk.

Rose shrugged, not trusting her voice to speak but the look she gave the older woman somehow confirmed her worst fears. “she truly doesn't remember?' she asked in a shaken voice, turning her gaze to her daughter who was staring at her like she was some sort of alien or enemy.

'No she doesn't' Rose replied seconds later, her voice betraying how shaken and confused she was.
Re: Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 10:17am On Jul 30, 2014
All attention in the living room of the Okoro's was concentrated at the family Doctor as he explained Angela's condition to them. It was the next day after she'd woken up with memory loss. The doctor had arrived soon after Ann’s call the day before and had recommended for to be taken to the hospital for proper check up. And so amidst Ann’s threat and pleadings, Chief had reluctantly accepted but with a condition that she didn’t spend more than needed there. After all said and done, she was brought back in the morning and was presently asleep upstairs in her room.

'...I also believe that the wound on her forehead has something to do with her condition, the X-ray conducted revealed its depth…not what you call a normal wound…but it's not critical so there's no need to worry there. And like I said earlier on, she was medically cared for wherever she's coming from. It could have been worst, but we thank God it wasn’t” The doctor explained.

'You also said something about a sedative, right?' BJay, the eldest son and first child of the family asked. He's dark in complexion man in his late Twenties, towering on a 6ft height with looks and features more like his father. The semblance probably the reason why he was called BJay - a shortened form of Badmus Junior and a name that he was popularly called.

'yes, that too cannot be ruled out. We found traces of the sedative still in her system. It was probably the reason why she relapsed that long and gone into a semi coma, but I believe she’s fine' The doctor replied.

'Doctor, is there a drug that will help her remember?' Mrs Okoro asked this time around.

'Unfortunately no. The only ‘drugs’… so to speak, that she needs now is to be among family and friends, familiar environments helps amnesiac patients, something or someone might trigger her memory'

'how long will this take?' BJay asked.

'That I can't say precisely. Although I’m guessing it’s a partial amnesia so the chances of her getting back her memory pretty soon is positive, she just needs all the love and attention from all of you. Maybe the memories with her family might be the first to return before…'

BJay scoffed just then, a bit audibly too, cutting the Doctor’s speech and making the attention of everyone in the parlour turn his way.

'well don't all look at me that way. Angela doesn't have that much memory with us. If anything, I'd suggest we take her wherever it is out there that she goes to always, because honestly, I don't see her getting her memory back in this house' Bjay defended.

'that's interesting' cut in the doctor. He turned to Chief now as if expecting further clarification.

'That’s not true! How can you speak so about your sister?' Mrs okoro asked angrily, her eyes pointing daggers at BJay.

'Am only suggesting a better solution for her' Bjay replied flatly with a shrug.

'Then keep that kind of solution to yourself, anuofia!' she shot back.

'Nwayi, nwere ya nwayo! (Woman, take it easy!) At the mention of Angela, your blood pressure goes up! O so ya ki muru? (is she the only one you gave birth to?)' Chief Okoro intervened, knowing that his wife could easily over-heat the situation. Her loyal devotion to Angela was the only cog in the wheel of their marriage and that always infuriated him.

'Chief biko rapum aka! (Please let me be!) I will not be surprised if you decide to also do as he said and send her out of the house” Ann replied.

'Is he not saying the truth? Doesn't your daughter's life revolve outside of this house?'

'Oh, she is now my daughter alone!' an enraged Mrs Okoro shot.

'It’s not hard for everyone to see' BJ commented dryly more to himself than to others.

'what did you just say?' Mrs Okoro turned on him.

'I said nothing mum' he replied in that same tone.

'but i heard you...'

'leave him alone woman! why do you always jump to Angela's defense' Chief queried, his anger gradually rising too.

'and why shouldn't I? Everyone one of you would rather she died for good, is she the only problem child to ever come out of a family that you just want her to die?' she turned on her husband.

'You’re saying nonsense woman!'

'am I? Just few days ago, you refused your daughter proper medical care, tell me what else remains for her if not death?' Mrs Okoro's voice had risen now.

'I said it! I just knew it! This has been eating you up since! Go on! Speak it out! Tell everyone that her father wants to kill…'

BJ sighed and turned his face away from his bickering parent to find Oluchi seated a distance away from the commotion. Her mood sulky and her face pained, like she would cry anytime soon. He pitied her, knowing she was only a teenage girl seeking for love and attention from her family, but getting none.

But then again, the way his mother so protected Angela infuriated him also. She'd always found a way to support her actions and make up excuses for how terrible she treated others. His mind flashed back to the day he'd returned from school to find out that she had been permanently expelled from her own school - a private university in which she had recently being admitted. He'd known right then that the tiny bond between them had fully been severed because the girl he'd met was not the quiet and reserved girl that dotted on her elder brother. In her place had been a stranger solely out to inflict pain on anyone unlucky enough to be her family.

An attitude that grew totally worse when they moved to Lagos from Abuja and she had abandoned Law school to pursue her 'musical calling'. Nobody had supported that move, their father had fought constantly with her over it, but that hadn't mattered or stopped her. She was headstrong and stuck to her decision regardless ready to fight anyone who dared opposed or advised her. And so over the years, he'd grown to stop caring too, had found a way to totally ignore her, and wasn't presently ready to see her through her amnesia saga - something that could well be a ploy, knowing Angela for all the antics she had up her sleeves.

A loud throaty sound from the Doctor just then broke the commotion between husband and wife and brought everyone back to the issue at hand. He was stunned at the extent to which a simple suggestion could polarize a family in seconds, he felt awkward and sought to take his leave. But the fact was, he hadn't even given them the major news. But with the way things had just played up now, he doubted if they would receive the news calmly seeing how her name had caused heated sparks and family rift in a flash. And so, he resolved to save that part for later, his better judgment taking over his medical obligations.

'Well, I think I’m done here and should be on my way now' He said to the mortified faces that now stared at him.

'Eze I’m sorry about...' the flustered chief tried to explain.

'No…No it’s okay, I should understand this kind of thing' he said rising up.

'let me see you off then ' Chief offered.

'Badmus, please don't bother, you all should stay and resolve this issue with your family...' he paused briefly and scanned the faces raised up at him before he continued: 'you know what? Please come with me outside, I want a word with you”. Better they trash out the whole issue at once, Doctor Eze thought as he made for the exit.

'sure' chief replied, secretly glad to be out of the burning house he had helped ignite. And so they headed out.

Mrs Okoro hissed loudly at their retreating figure, stood up and bounded off the stairs to Angela's room, hauling incomprehensible insult at no one in particular. BJay however turned to the already whimpering Oluchi and called on her to come sit by him. She gladly stood up to go sit at her brother’s side, happy that someone finally realized that she was hurting too.

Rose pushed open the door to Angie's room to find her smiling over some stack of photographs she was perusing. she was dressed in a white blazer on a black tank top that stuck tightly to her trouser jean. It fitted her perfectly but did little to accentuate her slender figure. she had never really considered herself pretty enough, never saw herself as able to measure up in beauty with Angela, but that didn't mean she was among the girls who felt threatened by her extraordinary looks. If anything, knowing that she stood on the same 5.7 with her gave her an extra boost and ease, something other girls back then in school couldn't and translated into envy and rivalry that never ceased because Angie was ever ready to fuel the 'cold war'.

But with her, she was different. They complemented each other in a symbiotic-like friendship; she provided the check and-sometimes- restraining force to Angie's excesses, while Angie helped with morale and financial support whenever she could. And even though people had wondered why the most popular girl on campus then would choose to stick with a 'low life' when classy girls fell over themselves to befriend her, Angie never cared and never for once undervalued their friendship.

Angela raised her face from the stack of photographs when she noticed her presence; she stood up and walked towards her surprising her with a warm embrace that lasted a while. When she let go, her face curved beautifully into a smile.

'Hi friend' she said. She was putting on a green T.shirt on a short jean.

' what was that for?' Rose asked with a startled expression. Today was a Wednesday, three days after she'd woken up with a memory loss.

'I don't know, I felt like doing that because It feels like I've known you all my life' Angela replied still smiling.

'I don't understand'

'let’s say, you're just the only thing that makes sense to me right now'

'Angie...you're back? You remember me?' Rose asked a bit excitedly.

'Well Yes!...I mean no...I don't actually remember you, but I feel this connection like I've know you all my life. We… you and I, are all over those pictures!' she pointed at the bed '...and I'm sure we were best friends' Angela explained, her pretty face glowing still, like an excited child.

'oh' Rose replied, trying to mask her disappointment.

'yeah! And you've got a lot of explaining to do!' she giggled and pulled her towards the bed. 'you don't know how it feels to finally be able to piece a part of my life' she added as she picked up the photographs.

Rose sat and unbuttoned her blazer, her eyes still on her friend; it was so amazing and strange seeing this carefree side of Angie, it was way better than the confused and frightened girl of days ago.

'yes! lets start with this! Where was this taken?' Angela asked, shoving a photograph at her.

A smile slowly curled on Rose lips. 'This was taken on Cultural Day back in Gwags'

'Gwags?'

'University of Abuja, Gwagalada, it’s where we graduated from.'

'oh, sounds nice' She giggled. 'We look so young here'

'yeah we were' Rose replied, her voice sounding a bit dreamy.

'but you're still this skinny' Angie said and nudged her playfully. 'more prettier though'

Pretty? She thought otherwise but smiled nonetheless. 'And your beauty hasn't faded' she said.

'you think?' Angela asked doubtfully, peering at her reflection in the large mirror that directly faced the bed, her hands feeling the wound on her forehead.

“yes” Rose replied, her brows slightly raised in surprise. Angela wasn't one to be doubtful of her looks, not when she had never failed to rub it off on everyone. This was first, something had really happened to her friend, she thought.

'Thank you' Angie replied smiling again. '…and this one? She continued.

'That?...that was a class excursion to the Federal High Court, Abuja' she explained.

'Court? Whoa! So we are like lawyers now?'

'uhm...we're not'

'why' Angie asked, suddenly feeling disappointed.

'We've not being called to Bar'

'Bar…hmm…and why is that?' She didn’t remember what being called to bar meant, but guess it had to be why they weren’t lawyers yet.

'err...' Rose faltered. How would she explain to her now that she had forego law school to develop her singing abilities or that she had detested reading law in the first place, still had outstanding issues and hadn't been cleared to enter into any Law school?

'what is wrong? Did i fail or something?'Angela queried.

'No. I’m the one who failed Bar exam'

'oh...and me?'

'you...you didn't write it, you chose to sing instead'

'sing? I sing?' Angela asked, her face twisted in disgust and alarm.

'yeah, it’s your passion. So don't look like that. It’s the only thing you’re good at...Okay, look around this room, what does it reveal to you?'

'I...' Angela's voice trailed off as she scrutinized her room like it was her first time inside.

Her room is one of the biggest among the rolls of room upstairs. She had chosen it mainly because it was secluded, being the only room at the left wing of the house and its door opened few steps away from the staircase that led directly into the parlor downstairs, a position which meant less chance of bumping into her family and afforded her a vantage position of monitoring who came and left the house so that she could avoid them still. 'Them' here more or less meant her father, he too had often threatened to relocate her to a vacant room close to his, but that had stayed on a threat level much to her happiness.

Inside the said room looked like something adapted from a Disney studio. Large and looming wallpapers of female Pop stars adorned every part of the wall. On the ceiling were pasted constellation of stars and on the wardrobe were scattered stickers of foreign and local musicians.

The large mirror opposite the bed served dancing and make up purposes, and a distance away was the home theatre with a rich collection of musical albums and CDs, two amplified speakers stood boldly on each sides, flanked by a Television and DVD player set. Not forgetting the collection of assorted make-up on the mirror stand or the array of designer clothings that adorned her wardrobe. The Elliptical - her workout machine occupied a priced position and was a special morning beauty routine. When it came to boosting and maintaining her physical looks or grooming and growing her musical passion, Angela never spared any cost. So was her earnest desire to become a superstar.
Re: Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 10:19am On Jul 30, 2014
'whoa! Do you know am just truly seeing the circus of a place I call my room' Angela said, still staring around.

'A circus? Surprising you should say that when you single handedly laid the designs. 'The star lounge' you called it” Rose replied.

'Really?'

'yeah' She replied. She too was scanning the room like it was her first time in, when in truth, she was the only one allowed authorized entry into the room. She had not raised an eye over its elaborate design the first time she was invited in, this was because she had had a pre-experience on how Angela preferred her living spaces designed. So it was really a shocker that the ‘new’ Angela had finally called a spade a spade.

'It's so elaborate and...and artificial' she said and faced her friend. 'well you did say I sing? But Honestly, I don't feel a connection to that part of me'

'Okay. I think there are some mix tapes somewhere' Rose said, stood up and walked towards the home theatre with Angela following behind. 'Maybe if you heard yourself sing...or...the personal recordings you did, you'd even see yourself singing' She knelt and started flipping through the collection of CDs while Angela crouched above her. Minutes later the door opened and Angela's mum walked in, their attention turned to her.

'Hello' she said and stood, venturing no further.

Rose noticed that she looked somewhat pale with dark circles under her eyes. She was also still wearing her nightie but with a wrapper tied across.

'Goodmorning ma' she greeted, albeit surprised because she'd expected the house to normally be empty by now with just the gate man and the Steward home.

'Morning…How are you Angela?' Mrs Okoro replied.

'fine' Angela replied crisply, her face suddenly losing its former animated colour.

'she's your mum' Rose tried to explain when she noticed her friends uneasiness. An uncomfortable silence however preceded her effort.

'well, Can I see you then?' Mrs Okoro said, breaking the unease that had suddenly fallen on everyone. She could sense Angela's fear and coldness towards her.

'me?' Rose asked.

'yes'

'sure' she said and rose up. 'Do keep looking, there are somewhere here. The DVD set shouldn't be hard to use. I will be with you shortly okay?' she said to Angela.

Angela only nodded in response and knelt down to continue where her friend left off while Rose quickly put on her blazer suit then followed Mrs Okoro outside.

'you know, I don't actually know your name?' Mrs Okoro said as she sat on one of the settee in the parlor.

'It’s Rosemary ma' Rose replied taking her seat also.

'I see my daughter has taken to you easily?'

'yes, she says she feels a connection through our photographs'

'oh' Mrs Okoro said, trying to suppress the hurt that that had caused her. 'well my family thinks you're one of the bad influences in her life too” she remarked, wanting to hurt her in return.

'I...I...I' Rose stuttered, her face flushed.

'I’m sorry...I didn't mean to unsettle you' Mrs Okoro said sincerely, remorseful for here earlier impulse. 'I know Angela is not one to be influenced, she has a mind of her own, but her father thinks otherwise' she added, trying to win back Rose's confidence.

Rose smiled shyly, not in any way relaxed, not when she was actually having a chat with her friend's mum. Something she'd never done since Angela’s family relocated to Lagos and she had had the chance to finally meet them – some of them by the way.

'So, how well do you know my daughter?' She asked, taking on a serious mood.

'We’ve been friends since school' Rose replied, unconsciously sitting up straight like she was before a panel.

'University?'

'yes ma'

'You should know about her relationship with men then?'

'err...' What was the woman getting at? She thought cautiously.

'I need you to be very honest with me Rose' Ann implored.

'well...the truth is that she doesn't really fancy men or...'

'I told you no lies! Do not hide anything from me. Since you're the only one she has a 'connection' with, I’m sure you should know everything about her...something I finally realize I never even did. So Rose don't try to cover up for her!' Mrs Okoro said, her voice suddenly picking up a notch, rising rhythmically to reflect her emotions.

'I’m not lieing ma. Angela doesn't have a serious relationship with any man I know. She's far too obsessed with herself to even care...' Rose tried to explain, getting a little peeved herself.

'Then what if I tell you she's pregnant' Mrs Okoro cut in.

A heavy silence took precedence upon her revelation. Rose searched the older woman's face for any sign that revealed that she was just joking and trying to get a reaction that would help her conclude with whatever games she was presently playing with her, but she found none.

Instead, the older woman looked dead serious. Anger, grief and embarrassment playing across her fine aging face. However, that didn't stop Rose from scoffing in total amazement. Angela being pregnant was the biggest joke of the year! She thought.

'I don't believe that ma' she replied calmly.

'But you should. Chief did not let me rest last night. The doctor had told him that she was a month or so gone, and I..I don't know what to believe anymore, I was hoping you could even explain to me'

“Are they sure about this?'

'what kind of a stu.pid question is that? Why should they both be lying? Why should the doctor? They are not blinded by her folly like me. Isn't she trying to play us all here? Maybe this was the reason she faked her kidnap and then pretended she doesn't know us again. Is there something you're not telling me, I'm asking again? Or did you plan this with her? What is she up to? What games is she trying to play here? I just don't understand anymore! Why should Angela betray me so? Just tell me...' Mrs Okoro voice trailed off as she gave in to tears.

Rose stared at her speechless. She was as shocked in the matter as she was.

'…why did Angela betray my trust this way? Her father now laughs at me for defending her all this while, Where did I go wrong? All I ever wanted was her happiness, she told me she just wanted to sing and I blindly supported her, I never knew she would go around sleeping with men and bring shame on me...'

'isn’t there a mistake somewhere?'

'...like a cheap prostitute, all I wanted was for her to be happy, that she would find someone to turn to in this family. That she would finally get married and have a good home of her own. But now she's pregnant and I don't know why or who...' Mrs Okoro continued like Rose hadn't said a word.

'please take it easy Ma' Rose tried again to calm the lamenting woman.

'why should I take it easy? In case you don’t know, her father has decided her fate. He says she can't stay in his house and bear a basta.rd child, and when Chief makes decisions as this, they are final.' Mrs Okoro paused and sighed deeply. She was feeling worn out and trying to gather her wits. ”Did you know about this?' Mrs Okoro asked minutes later as she wiped her tears with the edge of her wrapper.

'I sincerely don't know'

'where do you live?'

'huh?' Rose asked startled. What that had got to do with the situation at hand, she wondered.

'Her father has made up his mind to send her away to the man that he thinks got her pregnant and I was thinking maybe she could stay with you instead before'

'I...' Rose voice trailed off. She didn't know what to say. Angie never liked the room and parlor she shared with her elder brother nor the dingy neighbourhood it was situated in. Her brother didn’t like their relationship either; he'd always branded Angie a spoilt rich kid who was only out to deceive his sister and he’d never supported her singing stint either, he believed Angie was the one pushing her against him, so even if Angie accepted to come to live with her, her brother would never accept her. She was sure of that.

'Do you know the man responsible?' Mrs Okoro asked all of a sudden, not realizing the uncomfortable disposition her previous question had rendered Rose.

'No…I have no idea who' Rose replied, finally finding her voice. And it was the truth since Angela's recent love interest was part of the reason they had fought. She had just up and travelled out with the mystery man only for her to return and pick offences with the band and her when she was queried.

'Chief said he came here a week ago But I didn't see him' She continued.

Rose said nothing.

'well…it’s alright you can go back to her. I’m tired of fighting with Chief over her issue, I think I’m just going to let him do whatever he wants...Angela has never needed or appreciated my help, so why should I kill myself for her?' She concluded tiredly without a glance Rose's way.

Rose took it as her cue to leave. And so, she slowly rose up and picked hesitant steps up the stairs to Angie's room. To say that the news hadn't shocked and overwhelmed her would be to lie. The Angela she knew would never allow herself get pregnant. Being an insufferable narcissist, she wouldn't let a hair on her head drop if she could help it, therefore getting all bulged up in pregnancy didn't measure up to the picture perfect image of a star that she was creating. Not if it wouldn’t aid the cause. No man had ever reached her standards unless he had a fat bank account she could explore, or could offer a tangible contribution towards her musical dreams. The only things that had ever mattered to her were her Fitness, Make-up and singing and dancing classes. Family and babies didn't even come near to the Angela she knew.

Another problem here was that she didn’t even know who was responsible since Angela had recently gone wild; keeping multiple dates with a bunch of influential guys she'd met during their last major gig at a senator son's birthday bash. “Tickets to stardom” she remembered now how she had succinctly labeled them when she had grown so concerned to ask. The final straw had been when she had eventually taken off to - God knows where - with one of them. Now see where all that had landed her.

The other thing wrong with Angela apart from her pride and arrogance was her determination, impulsive tendencies and stubbornness to have things done her way, problem was that it always led her into bigger troubles; her father wasn’t one to toil with. The little she’d heard of the man was enough to make her believe so. And if her mum could decide to let things be, what could she possible do? She thought. Now standing by her Angie’s room, she paused briefly to compose herself before opening the door. There she found her dancing and singing along to a song playing on the Television.

'Hey! I’m finally getting a hang of this thing!' Angela said excitedly as soon as Rose walked in, though she didn't stop dancing.

Rose forced a smile and then made her way to the bed where she slumped down.

'I also think I’m getting a connection to that part of me you said sings...My life must have been very interesting. Wu hu!' she added, screaming excitedly.

'You don't know how much' Rose muttered quietly to herself while her gaze slid to Angela's stomach that was presently winding in harmony to her dance movements. Even with her amnesia, Rose observed, Angie hadn't loss her knack for fine dancing. It was nice to see her smiling naturally without that 'conceited' aura she previously exuded, she thought it refreshing even she couldn’t shake off the strong feeling that everything was about to change for the worse for her amnesiac friend.
End of chapter 2.
Re: Story: Fast Lane by losprince(m): 12:44pm On Jul 30, 2014
thanks for chapter 2, when is chapter 3 coming out
Re: Story: Fast Lane by princesa(f): 1:05pm On Jul 30, 2014
losprince:
thanks for chapter 2, when is chapter 3 coming out

today I should think.smiley
Re: Story: Fast Lane by toykathy(f): 2:53pm On Jul 30, 2014
How i wish i can fast forward dis wonderful story to where we stopped b4 d saga. Longing 2 knw abt Angela n hw d story wil unfold. Weldon Princesa, u re just too cute.
#millionkisses4u#

1 Like

Re: Story: Fast Lane by SexySapphire(f): 5:37pm On Jul 30, 2014
Welcome back Princesa. Nice to know u're posting again,thank u.
Will be back wen u get to wia we last stopped b4 the tsunami

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. / Lagos Dudes: The Beginning!! / "Sweet Pain"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 197
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.