Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,464 members, 7,808,650 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:53 PM

Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? (19637 Views)

Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script / What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:53pm On Jul 24, 2014
I've always known it to be present-day Cross River State. There are claims in some quarters that it is the South East among Igbo people.

Reasonable contributions are welcomed.

1 Like

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Decibel: 11:03pm On Jul 24, 2014
Emmm

3 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jul 24, 2014
South Eastern Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:42am On Jul 25, 2014
Nsibidi is only one among a number of precolonial, indigenous writing systems of Southeast Nigeria. The actual origin of the Nsibidi writing system remains unknown. This comes as no surprise, seeing that Nsibidi is/was the product of secret societies and is/was heavily associated with secret and magical rituals. Europeans first discovered the script in 1905 among Igbo-speaking people. However, the use of Nsibidi and its associated secret societies was also widespread in what is now known as Cross Rivers state.

Though the actual origin of Nsibidi is unknown, common consensus links the writing system to what is now the Cross Rivers geographical region. Some historians even take it further and assert that the Ekoi people (the Ejagham) are the ones responsible for the early development of the Nsibidi script. Notwithstanding the Ekoi assertion, the Cross River theory has credence. Going by oral tradition from various communities within Southeast Nigeria, the diffusion pattern of the Nsibidi-associated secret societies is apparently traceable to the Cross Rivers region. Whether or not it is Ekoi specifically is not conclusive (at least, insomuch as I have been able to find out).

11 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by true2god: 4:12am On Jul 25, 2014
When I was a boy I can remember seeing this writings on the walls of my maternal grandfather's house but never questioned him of the meanings and how he came about it.

This writings\code is a singular treasure the Igbos\efik had lost due to colonialism\christianity. Modern Igbo\efik children do not know anything about 'nsibidi'. I think it's time our so called 'intellectuals' wake up and trace the few remaining elders in the village (especially those in present day enugu, crossriver and ebonyi state where some traces of nsibidi codes could be found) and learn the writing codes and its meanings.

Blackman always destroying its culture and legacy!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by HooxJnr(m): 4:36am On Jul 25, 2014
One question for the @op, I have never heard of nsibi writing before. A picture will help. Am here to learn. No offence intended please. Thanks

16 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Sagytarius(m): 4:43am On Jul 25, 2014
What is Nsidibi?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by JideTheBlogger(m): 5:53am On Jul 25, 2014
Sagytarius: What is Nsidibi?

I tire oo

3 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by nexstorm(m): 5:53am On Jul 25, 2014
We never kept dates and record of events, research and all transferable knowledge .that's Black Man for you. But what saddens me is the idea of throwing away our own works and understanding For another mans knowledge instead of merging it.. Now we have a problem of doing it our own way and we are finding it difficult.. And about the Topic, it was a writing system for a particular set of people who would be refered to as cult.cos they agreed to the same thing.But I think it wasn't generally accepted..*pls note, its my opinion*
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by kingzjay(m): 5:54am On Jul 25, 2014
This form of writing originates from the Efiks (In the present day Cross River State) and some parts of Akwa Ibom State.

Its a special kind of writing system used by the Ekpe Community (A unique/colourful masquerade) in communicating between persons who were members of the Ekpe society.

Its still in existence till date.

2 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by englishmart(m): 6:02am On Jul 25, 2014
Op, I don't know too.
Just ask the person that told you.
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by agamenon(m): 6:12am On Jul 25, 2014
Nsibidi writing. Originated. From the ancient. Afara kingdom,and the writing then was mostly used by priest and diviner during communication,and up till now through out those places where the influence of the kingdom reached,their diviners still use it.mark you the writing stretches to most Igbo societies and beyound it up to some west african countries including camerooun.

1 Like

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by zuchyblink(m): 6:20am On Jul 25, 2014
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by makazona(m): 6:37am On Jul 25, 2014
it is associated with the Ibibio tribe who inhabited the then easten part of nigeria.

check history books to confirm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Empressgifted(f): 6:43am On Jul 25, 2014
Can someone pls describe this Nsibidi or post us a picture of it( if it has any).
Though that name Nsibidi sounds so much like Abichidi.

2 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by agamenon(m): 6:44am On Jul 25, 2014
Pls audience,let us not politicized this.nsibidi is even used in some Caribbean nations up till Today due to slave trade,that writing has been restricted to native doctors due to westernization of our society's Jamaica ,what they call Dibia ie native doctor and this applies to Haiti,Dominican republic etc, and in igbo. Language it is still called dibia.again be aware that the first slave revolution was lead by an Igbo dibia in haiti by name MR T BOOKMAN and this resulted into granting of independence to Haitti.

3 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by agamenon(m): 6:59am On Jul 25, 2014
OrlandoOwoh: I've always known it to be present-day Cross River State. There are claims in some quarters that it is the South East among Igbo people.

pls ask your father about ur origin you part of cross river may.be those part that traces their origin to Igbo people

1 Like

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:05am On Jul 25, 2014
Sagytarius: What is Nsidibi?
It's a form of writing that was popular among some people. It's enshrouded in secrecy.

1 Like

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:12am On Jul 25, 2014
zuchyblink: www.nairaland.com/1827650/igbo-101#24947215
Stop this rubbish. We are having an academic discourse, not that with self-inflicted emotions. You're free to make your contribution.
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 25, 2014
We learn everyday *listens attentively*
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by BlackPeni5: 7:29am On Jul 25, 2014
People claiming other people's history...It's not from Ibo, deal with it.

The origin of the word nsibidi is not known. One theory traces the word to the Ekoid languages, where it means "cruel letters", reflecting the harsh laws of the secret societies that hold nsibidi knowledge.[12][13] In Calabar, nsibidi is mostly associated with men's leopard societies such as Ekpe. The leopard societies were a legislative, judicial, and executive power before colonisation, especially among the Efik who exerted much influence over the Cross River.[5

Origin
The origin of nsibidi is most commonly attributed to the Ejagham people of the northern Cross River region, mostly because colonial administrators found the largest and most diverse nsibidi among them. Nsibidi spread throughout the region over time and mixed with other cultures and art forms such as the Igbo uri or uli graphic design.[5] In 1909 J. K. Macgregor who collected nsibidi symbols claimed that nsibidi was traditionally said to have come from the Uguakima, Ebe or Uyanga tribes of the Igbo people, which legend says were taught the script by baboons,[3] although one writer believes Macgregor had been misled by his informants.

Status
Nsibidi has a wide vocabulary of signs usually imprinted on calabashes, brass ware, textiles, wood sculptures, masquerade costumes, buildings and on human skin. Nsibidi has been described as a "fluid system" of communication consisting of hundreds of abstract and pictographic signs. Nsibidi was described in the colonial era by P.A. Talbot as a "a kind of primitive secret writing", Talbot explained that nsibidi was used for messages "cut or painted on split palm stems". J.K. Macgregor's view was that "The use of nsibidi is that of ordinary writing. I have in my possession a copy of the record of a court case from a town of Enion [Enyong] taken down in it, and every detail ... is most graphically described". Nsibidi crossed ethnic lines and was a uniting factor among ethnic groups in the Cross River region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nsibidi#mediaviewer/File:Nsibidi.gif

1 Like

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by udemzyudex(m): 7:30am On Jul 25, 2014
Just ask my dad now and he says its orginated from Efik(cross river state) it just like the ORO(a cult practise in yoruba).
If you have read the book or watch the film MUTANDA you will understand it.

They have their own sign/symbol which they use to communicate to each other.

Its not orginated from IBO, if you want to find anything cult,witch craft go to cross river thats their foundation...

2 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by ITbomb(m): 7:32am On Jul 25, 2014
The highly placed people and intellectuals belonged to the Ekpo society as the then authority.

So it was not surprising when the first missionaries saw the demystification of Ekpo society and all its values as a foothold to capture the hearts of the locals.
Displaying a superior lifestyle and equipments (wine and guns inclusive) , they convinced the locals that if they want to be like them, they should send their children to be educated by them.
By that singular concession by the then leaders, the next generation was lost to the white men and subsequently the whole culture and values systematically debased by the white men as diabolic and eradicated while they imposed their history and writing on the locals.

Not surprising that one of the first group of ethnic group in Nigeria to get 'Written Words' carefully crafted out from the English alphabets was the Efik as that was the best means to displaced the already existing form of writing.

Nsibidii, lost forever while we grumble with half knowledge and misinformation (worse than to be uninformed)

3 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Feraz(m): 7:36am On Jul 25, 2014
I've always wondered where the writings originated from and I'm of the opinion that the Eastern and SE governors should create awareness so that people can research more on it.

2 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:36am On Jul 25, 2014
udemzyudex: Just ask my dad now and he says its orginated from Efik(cross river state) it just like the ORO(a cult practise in yoruba).
If you have read the book or watch the film MUTANDA you will understand it.

They have their own sign/symbol which they use to communicate to each other.

Its not orginated from IBO, if you want to find anything cult,witch craft go to cross river thats their foundation...
Is this Mutanda a Nigerian movie?
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Feraz(m): 7:40am On Jul 25, 2014
BlackPeni5: People claiming other people's history...It's not from Ibo, deal with it.

I don't think anyone here is claiming anything.

1 Like

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Nobody: 7:45am On Jul 25, 2014
OrlandoOwoh: I've always known it to be present-day Cross River State. There are claims in some quarters that it is the South East among Igbo people.

give evidence for your belief. Not guesswork
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Nobody: 7:46am On Jul 25, 2014
Onye wetara orji wetara ndu

6 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by vitality22(m): 7:51am On Jul 25, 2014
kingzjay: This form of writing originates from the Efiks (In the present day Cross River State) and some parts of Akwa Ibom State.

Its a special kind of writing system used by the Ekpe Community (A unique/colourful masquerade) in communicating between persons who were members of the Ekpe society.

Its still in existence till date.
Pls educate me more
Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Nobody: 7:57am On Jul 25, 2014

Your aim of opening this thread has been defeated by the few responses here especially the first one from Chinenyem....

I know you of all people must have researched this topic very well,knew its Efik connection..then brought it here to see how many Igbos would claim its origin and invention...

All you want is....Igbos claim Nsibidi to set them at war with Cross River people..wrong mister...Igbos love Efik,Ibibio etc people and that feeling is very mutual.

Alj Haram....your goodmorning to any Igbo man should not be trusted...

9 Likes

Re: Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? by Nobody: 8:00am On Jul 25, 2014
Let us take a look at the aetiology of the word. 'Nshi' in Igbo means 'to write'.

'N'shi go ya' means 'i have written it' in Igbo. Very simple. grin

The op is trying hard to discredit the Origin of Nsibidi as Igbo. Unfortunately he can not find any intellectual/academic product of historians that does not associate it with the Igbo.... grin

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land / Are Africans Proud Of Black Americans? / Ooni Of Ife Lays Wreath At Commonwealth Remembrance Day In UK(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.