Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,438 members, 7,781,281 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:43 AM

How To Save A Choking Victim (PICTURES) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Save A Choking Victim (PICTURES) (1722 Views)

Suspected Ebola Victim In Victoria Island Lagos (Pictures) / Nigerian Doctor Who Treated Victim Infected With Ebola / Suspected Ebola Victim Detected In Surulere Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Save A Choking Victim (PICTURES) by ayukdaboss(m): 5:13pm On Jul 25, 2014
Have you ever choked before? Have you ever been around a choking victim? What were you able to do to help that person?

I almost lost my life some years ago in the university from this painful occurrence. But someone knew these steps I'm about to detail below and saved my life even as I had already thought I'd die. Although this post is bulky please endeavour to read. You might just safe a life someday.

How to Perform the Heimlich Maneuver

The Heimlich maneuver (abdominal thrusts) is a three-step emergency response technique that can save a life in seconds. It is a simple action that will often dislodge food or another object from a person's airway when they are choking, as it provides an increase in pressure in the abdomen and chest, enabling the object to be expelled. The onset of choking will often be sudden, and knowing how to do it properly and being willing to use that knowledge can save someone's life. Learn the method for performing the Heimlich maneuver by following these simple steps. Your ideas and experiences are highly welcomed.

STEP ONE

Determine if the person truly choking. A choking victim will often have their hands around their throat and a desperate or panicked look on their face. They will not be able to breathe or speak, as they are suffering from complete airway obstruction (no air reaching their lungs). This means that they won't be able to respond to you when you ask if they're okay, or if they need help, other than nodding their head. Causes include food, trauma from injury or internal swelling from a severe allergic reaction. Look for the common symptoms of complete or total airway destruction:

-Cannot breathe, or is making obvious efforts to take in breaths with great difficulty (observe for any in-drawing of spaces between the ribs and above the collarbones)
-Cannot speak effectively or at all
-Noisy breathing
-Inability to cough effectively
-Blue or gray color to lips and fingernail beds, face is grayish, due to lack of oxygen
-Clutching at throat with both hands (the universal sign for choking)
-Loss of consciousness.

Credit: http://www.wikihow.com/Perform-the-Heimlich-Maneuver

Re: How To Save A Choking Victim (PICTURES) by ayukdaboss(m): 5:16pm On Jul 25, 2014
Step TWO

Reassure the victim immediately that you are going to help him or her. Realize that you call for emergency help after you've tried to save the victim as every second counts.[3] Have someone else call while you're attending the victim, if others are around.

Re: How To Save A Choking Victim (PICTURES) by ayukdaboss(m): 5:17pm On Jul 25, 2014
Step THREE

Get the victim in a standing position. It can also be performed in a sitting position if the victim is too heavy for you or you're in a confined space such as a plane; just be sure to have plenty of room to perform the moves.

Re: How To Save A Choking Victim (PICTURES) by ayukdaboss(m): 5:17pm On Jul 25, 2014
Step FOUR

Perform back blows to a true choking victim before proceeding to use the Heimlich maneuver. Use the heel of one hand to give back blows between the victim's shoulder blades.If nothing improves, quickly move the abdominal thrusts.

Never use back blows on someone who only has a partially obstructed airway, as this can lodge the obstruction even more deeply.

Re: How To Save A Choking Victim (PICTURES) by ayukdaboss(m): 5:30pm On Jul 25, 2014
STEP FIVE

Stand behind the victim. Stand with your legs separated, to form a "tripod" shape if the victim faints or becomes unconscious (this will help you to catch them and stabilize their fall quickly).

-Reach around the victim from behind. Circle your hands around the victim's abdomen (stomach).
-Make a fist with your dominant hand. The thumb of this fist should point into the fist. Place this fist just above the victim's navel (belly button) and under the breastbone.
-Wrap your other hand firmly around this fist. Be sure to keep your thumb away from the victim's body, to prevent injury to the victim.

Re: How To Save A Choking Victim (PICTURES) by ayukdaboss(m): 5:39pm On Jul 25, 2014
STEP SIX

Perform the Heimlich maneuver, also known as abdominal thrusts:

-Pull inward and upward, pressing into the victim's abdomen with quick upward thrusts, using good force. Make the motion similar to the letter "J" --> in, then up.

-Make the thrusts quick and forceful, as if you are trying to lift the victim off his or her feet from this position.
-Perform 5 abdominal thrusts in quick succession. Repeat the series of thrusts until the object is dislodged and expelled. The victim will cough out the obstacle obstructing their airway if this maneuver is successful.
-Use less force if the victim is a child.
-If the victim falls unconscious, stop the thrusts immediately. Be aware that this can happen if the object is not removed.

Re: How To Save A Choking Victim (PICTURES) by ayukdaboss(m): 5:39pm On Jul 25, 2014
STEP SEVEN

Check to see if normal breathing has returned. Once the object is gone, most people will return to breathing normally. If normal breathing has not returned, continue the thrusts.

STEP 8

Call for help immediately if you fail to dislodge the obstruction. If the victim is unconscious, stop abdominal thrusts:

-Call emergency services. Ask for immediate assistance. Have someone else do this where possible, to save time.
-Seek to clear the victim's airway (check the mouth and see if you can dislodge anything obvious) and provide artificial respiration (CPR).
-Remain with the victim constantly. This is life threatening and he or she could die any moment; continue to administer artificial respiration to try to prolong their chances.

Re: How To Save A Choking Victim (PICTURES) by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jul 27, 2014
Nice one. Lesson learnt but you remain a lizard angry
Re: How To Save A Choking Victim (PICTURES) by ayukdaboss(m): 7:12pm On Jul 27, 2014
peppyluv02: Nice one. Lesson learnt but you remain a lizard angry

Lol
Please follow back smiley
Re: How To Save A Choking Victim (PICTURES) by kingphilip(m): 7:21pm On Jul 27, 2014
peppyluv02: Nice one. Lesson learnt but you remain a lizard angry
a lizard? hw u min
Re: How To Save A Choking Victim (PICTURES) by ayukdaboss(m): 9:18pm On Jul 27, 2014
kingphilip:
a lizard? hw u min

She's my new nairaland enemy grin
Re: How To Save A Choking Victim (PICTURES) by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jul 27, 2014
Na by force? undecided

ayukdaboss:

Lol
Please follow back smiley
Re: How To Save A Choking Victim (PICTURES) by ayukdaboss(m): 12:24am On Jul 28, 2014
peppyluv02: Na by force? undecided

Did you see any "must" in my sentence? No try me O undecided
Re: How To Save A Choking Victim (PICTURES) by Nobody: 7:25am On Jul 28, 2014
smiley good morning

ayukdaboss:

Did you see any "must" in my sentence? No try me O undecided
Re: How To Save A Choking Victim (PICTURES) by ayukdaboss(m): 9:18am On Jul 28, 2014
peppyluv02: smiley good morning

Hey..Morning smiley
How was your night?
Re: How To Save A Choking Victim (PICTURES) by kingphilip(m): 9:33am On Jul 28, 2014
ayukdaboss:

She's my new nairaland enemy grin
eh? u no tell me before nw

(1) (Reply)

PHOTO: Woman Gives Birth To baby With 3 Legs, 4 Arms And 3 ears In Rivers State / When Should I Start Solid For My Baby…? / Amazing Body Weight Loss Transformation Of A Plus Size Lady - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.