Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,265 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:34 AM

Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) (7211 Views)

I Need Some To Help Me With A Gsd Pup For 15k / Is It Advisable To Cross A GSD With A Nigerian Local Dog Or Basenji / I Am In Need Of A Gsd Male Puppy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by Jcob(m): 1:48pm On Aug 02, 2014
Seun:
Dogs can be choosy when they know they have options. My dog rejected his morning fish day before yesterday, so I just waited for him to get over it. He reluctantly ate it in the evening, day before yesterday. By yesterday when I brought his next titus in, he was excited over it.
You can hire a stranger to act as a bad guy and provoke the dog in order to encourage him to bark. This is called "agitation" and it's important for security training. Some silly children have been doing this for me free of charge. They bang our gate just to annoy my dog. undecided

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T0FMhh1LBA

So i tried this method this afternoon while I hid very close to the dog. Immediately the stranger stranger started hitting the gate roughly, drake stood up with all ears up. The gate was banged for 5 minutes while he maintained his posture. At the end, the stranger came in and went close to him . . . . . .stranger was afraid to move very close because of the size of the dog. But no single sound/bark! Can a dog be dumb?
Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by oluomoadebayo: 2:09pm On Aug 02, 2014
Jcob:

So i tried this method this afternoon while I hid very close to the dog. Immediately the stranger stranger started hitting the gate roughly, drake stood up with all ears up. The gate was banged for 5 minutes while he maintained his posture. At the end, the stranger came in and went close to him . . . . . .stranger was afraid to move very close because of the size of the dog. But no single sound/bark! Can a dog be dumb?

Does he seem scared when the stranger approached him?

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by Seun(m): 2:13pm On Aug 02, 2014
Jcob: So i tried this method this afternoon while I hid very close to the dog. Immediately the stranger stranger started hitting the gate roughly, drake stood up with all ears up. The gate was banged for 5 minutes while he maintained his posture. At the end, the stranger came in and went close to him . . . . . .stranger was afraid to move very close because of the size of the dog. But no single sound/bark! Can a dog be dumb?
Heh this is funny! Has he met the stranger before? Was he chained down? Did he back away from the stranger slightly as he was approached?
Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by Seun(m): 2:32pm On Aug 02, 2014
The last time the dog was frustrated it was due to food, so maybe we can use that. When the dog is hungry, chain the dog and place his food (raw chicken lap) just beyond his reach. Then have the stranger come around, making noise, etc. Then have the stranger take the chicken and start taunting the dog with it. Bringing it close to him, taking it away and laughing, etc. Or you could fry the chicken lap and have the stranger eat it in his presence while making fun of the dog. The moment the dog barks the stranger should drop the chicken and run away.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by Jcob(m): 3:03pm On Aug 02, 2014
oluomoadebayo:
Does he seem scared when the stranger approached him?
Seun:
Heh this is funny! Has he met the stranger before? Was he chained down? Did he back away from the stranger slightly as he was approached?

He wasn't scared. He has never met the stranger. He was not chained. He just stood still gazing 100 percent at the stranger as he (stranger) approached.
Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by Jcob(m): 3:07pm On Aug 02, 2014
Seun: The last time the dog was frustrated it was due to food, so maybe we can use that. When the dog is hungry, chain the dog and place his food (raw chicken lap) just beyond his reach. Then have the stranger come around, making noise, etc. Then have the stranger take the chicken and start taunting the dog with it. Bringing it close to him, taking it away and laughing, etc. Or you could fry the chicken lap and have the stranger eat it in his presence while making fun of the dog. The moment the dog barks the stranger should drop the chicken and run away.

I will get someone who is not afraid of dogs to do this with me on monday. Lovely tips!
Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by Seun(m): 3:20pm On Aug 02, 2014
Tnx. The dog should always be chained when doing this form of training, though. It is very dangerous to provoke an unrestrained dog!
Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by oluomoadebayo: 5:58pm On Aug 02, 2014
Jcob:

I will get someone who is not afraid of dogs to do this with me on monday. Lovely tips!
Something might be wrong with the dog voice, ask about his history . Another great way to make a dog to bark is the blast of a siren. Get a toy that would sound like one and your dog would definitely voice out if he is healthy.
Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by doeying(m): 7:24am On Aug 03, 2014
Hmm...this is kinda serious...ok..here is what i can say..my boerboel made my mongrel (local dog) start barking and become security conscious...so i believe there is influence from imitation...i recommend you get(or rent) another dog that is known to be wicked(ok not so wicked) and associate them together...let your dog know that its okay to be himself in the human world...i believe the traits of the dog would start rubbing off on Drake..my opinion....btw..nice name
Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by Jcob(m): 10:33am On Aug 03, 2014
Thanks everybody for the suggestions. my vet would be giving me a female barking gsd next week to help drake. If he still doesn't bark with that and the siren stuff then we could try vocal test or return the dog to seller. by the way what do you guys think of getting waste food from fast food joints? its N200 per kg.
Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by Seun(m): 11:26am On Aug 03, 2014
Jcob: Thanks everybody for the suggestions. my vet would be giving me a female barking gsd next week to help drake
Didn't the same vet tell you that Drake barks? Hasn't Drake been living in the same compound with the barking GSDs his entire life?

by the way what do you guys think of getting waste food from fast food joints? its N200 per kg.
It's worth trying. Please tell me how you got them to offer their waste food to you. Did you just ask the attendants?
Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by emmyvet(m): 11:42am On Aug 03, 2014
Seun:
Didn't the same vet tell you that Drake barks? Hasn't Drake been living in the same compound with the barking GSDs his entire life?

It's worth trying. Please tell me how you got them to offer their waste food to you. Did you just ask the attendants?

Yes work in ask the attendent of waste food(or left over) for dogs.
I get mine at 150 per kg here in shoprite Enugu
Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by oluomoadebayo: 11:55am On Aug 03, 2014
emmyvet:

Yes work in ask the attendent of waste food(or left over) for dogs.
I get mine at 150 per kg here in shoprite Enugu

What of the uncooked meats, can they sell those or just the food?
Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by oluomoadebayo: 11:56am On Aug 03, 2014
Jcob: Thanks everybody for the suggestions. my vet would be giving me a female barking gsd next week to help drake. If he still doesn't bark with that and the siren stuff then we could try vocal test or return the dog to seller. by the way what do you guys think of getting waste food from fast food joints? its N200 per kg.

The siren method is tested and trusted.
Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by emmyvet(m): 12:06pm On Aug 03, 2014
oluomoadebayo:

No but with left over meat and fish.
My dog get protein from pedigree chucky or cooked chicken parts/eggs!
When I tried using raw chocked it turned my dog so wild(even now).
Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by oluomoadebayo: 12:11pm On Aug 03, 2014
emmyvet:
No but with left over meat and fish.
My dog get protein from pedigree chucky or cooked chicken parts/eggs!
When I tried using raw chocked it turned my dog so wild(even now).

Could you inquire if they would sell the uncooked ones?
Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by emmyvet(m): 12:19pm On Aug 03, 2014
oluomoadebayo:

Could you inquire if they would sell the uncooked ones?
No uncooked as waste or left over, you just go
Frozen section and buy it .
Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by Jcob(m): 3:56pm On Aug 03, 2014
Seun: Didn't the same vet tell you that Drake barks? Hasn't Drake been living in the same compound with the barking GSDs his entire life?
the vet is really my problem. If only he can be truthful and tell me If this dog has ever barked. no need to play games. . . i can still go ahead to keep him as a future stud instead of security.

oluomoadebayo:

every fast food has left overs to either throw away or sell to dog owners. just go to any of the attendants and inquire.

doubt if they would have uncooked meats consistently as they can always get the meats frozen when not needed. The food leftovers add nothing to their profit
Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by Seun(m): 8:19pm On Aug 03, 2014
Jcob: the vet is really my problem. If only he can be truthful and tell me If this dog has ever barked. no need to play games. . . i can still go ahead to keep him as a future stud instead of security.
If he won't do the job then it would be better to sell him to someone who just needs an attentive pet. Using him as a stud would be a bad idea since some of his "kids" will have the same unwanted trait of not barking. However, we cannot conclude that the dog doesn't have the ability to bark. It's at least 3 months early! I believe he just needs some serious agitation in order to find his voice. If you can find experienced guys who have worked as agitators, that would be best. If not, we who've read books and watched videos will try our best to help.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by oluomoadebayo: 10:30pm On Aug 03, 2014
Seun:
If he won't do the job then it would be better to sell him to someone who just needs an attentive pet. Using him as a stud would be a bad idea since some of his "kids" will have the same unwanted trait of not barking. However, we cannot conclude that the dog doesn't have the ability to bark. It's at least 3 months early! I believe he just needs some serious agitation in order to find his voice. If you can find experienced guys who have worked as agitators, that would be best. If not, we who've read books and watched videos will try our best to help.

Just try the aforementioned method and if not working, give the dog some time and let him feel at home.
Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by Jcob(m): 12:02pm On Aug 04, 2014
One of the workers I sent home to do some chores just called that he could not get beyond the gate cos of the dog. I was like what happened ? he said immediately he opened the gate a dog started barking. that sounds interesting! Drake is on chain and kept indoors before leaving home.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by Seun(m): 12:27pm On Aug 04, 2014
Jcob: One of the workers I sent home to do some chores just called that he could not get beyond the gate cos of the dog. I was like what happened ? he said immediately he opened the gate a dog started barking. that sounds interesting!
That's great!

Jcob: Drake is on chain and kept indoors before leaving home.
That's not ideal ... he needs to drink water and pee and poop regularly. If you keep him tied inside, then he may learn to pee and poop in the house, and may also get dehydrated. Why do you keep him tied and inside the house? Is your compound shared with other tenants?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by Gidihub: 12:33pm On Aug 04, 2014
Jcob: Please help! Got waste indomie mixed with fat and calcium for my dog. But he won't just eat. Tried all I could. . . .He would just smell and leave. What can I do

Get a fish meal from a animal feed store..... dts d secret of getting your pet to eat those noodless

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by doeying(m): 12:55pm On Aug 04, 2014
Jcob: One of the workers I sent home to do some chores just called that he could not get beyond the gate cos of the dog. I was like what happened ? he said immediately he opened the gate a dog started barking. that sounds interesting! Drake is on chain and kept indoors before leaving home.

congrats on Drake barking..
ok..so heres what Ceasar the dog whisperer would say..Drake believes you are his master and so you protect him so i guess,when the last stranger came in..he knew you were around and so all was well...buh when you were not around..it knew it had to protect itself....hence..the barking

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by Seun(m): 2:47pm On Aug 04, 2014
If Drake is not allowed to roam the compound then maybe he doesn't consider the compound to be his territory. Maybe he only guards the house.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by begunatoye(m): 3:36pm On Aug 04, 2014
Give the dog time to adjust to your home. Once the dog is fully adjusted, it protective instints becomes sharper. Also, technically it is still a puppy so don't expect too much in terms of territorial aggression. A dog's territorial instinct becomes fully developed when it is 2 years old. For the training, gradually shift from using tidbits to offering praise when your dog obeys your command.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by Jcob(m): 2:48am On Aug 07, 2014
I have finally witnessed Drake barking some minutes ago. so loud! he did it for like 5 minutes. I won't be disturbing myself about his vocal ability as that has been solved. I really appreciate everybody that contributed to this diary from the beginning. . you all saved me from taking the dog back to the vet. from next week, I would concentrate on bringing the best out of the dog and i would endeavour to post pictures and videos.

6 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by Jcob(m): 9:30pm On Aug 11, 2014
We are going fine! Got chicken wings and Titus for him today. He tried swallowing the Titus at once but got hooked. . . .He had to vomit and rechew. anytime I add the antibiotics to the food or water he won't touch either. so the new method is to open his month and put the antibiotics to swallow. that has been working! By the way, he killed a trespassed fowl 3 days ago. . .that was after commanding him to leave the fowl but he disobeyed. While the fowl was still in his mouth, I ... and also didn't feed him for a day. He eventually ate the fowl with feathers! lol

As per barking, drake is now a regular night barker! barks like 10 times every night.
Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by adisa204(m): 8:30am On Aug 12, 2014
Jcob: Please help! Got waste indomie mixed with fat and calcium for my dog. But he won't just eat. Tried all I could. . . .He would just smell and leave. What can I do
try mixing d food with blended crayfish d dog would just munch and look for the fish till it eats finish
Re: Diary Of A Gsd Owner (gotten At 9 Months) by Seun(m): 3:57pm On Sep 12, 2014
Please continue this diary bro.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

New Owner (Cooper and Vera Slant GSD) / Cat Having Sex With Chicken!!!! / Diary Of My GSD, Bella

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.