Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,883 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:28 AM

Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) (13663 Views)

I Am In Need Of Wilds, Birds And Domestics (eagles, Donkeys, Hyena, Zebra, Eland / PHOTOS. Funny Animals Pictures To Enlightened Your Mood / Dog Breeders List Your Dog Kennel Or Current Puppy Litter Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Seun(m): 3:05pm On Jul 26, 2014
My dog killed a large rat (ekute) the first time he slept outside. Since then he's killed a pigeon and two tiny mice, also outside the house. He didn't eat any of them, even the ones he killed after I started feeding him raw chicken or fish every day. He almost killed a pigeon that got trapped inside the house in my presence, but I couldn't bear it so I opened the windows to let the pigeon escape. He hunts all small animals, including lizards (I've not had the privilege of seeing any dead lizard that he killed). I'm proud of his hunting skills; he's a good dog!

What about your dog? What kind of animals have your dogs killed? Did they eat them? Do you try to discourage them? Do you have pictures?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Leibnitz: 3:08pm On Jul 26, 2014
Yes sir
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Leibnitz: 3:10pm On Jul 26, 2014
My Ekuke dogs are good at rats cheesy grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jul 26, 2014
Seun: after I started feeding him raw chicken or fish every day.

Why would you feed your dog with that.

Ceased to the rescue
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by ayukdaboss(m): 3:27pm On Jul 26, 2014
Na dog O no be Lion grin
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Idrismusty97(m): 3:28pm On Jul 26, 2014
Of course that is what a dog is meant for smiley. I have pictures of two giant bush rat killed by our dogs. I was privileged to watch the second bush rat being torn apart. That was when i discovered bush rats fight back! We train pigeons so it wouldn't be funny watching him kill pigeons. He would received beating of his life in front of the dead pigeon so he would know what he did wrong.

1 Like

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jul 26, 2014
We had a dog with white mutt. One day we saw the mutt red, and he was licking his mouth! shocked shocked embarassed
It happened that a chicken had wandered into his territory and he went all ballistics a la Netanyahu/Gaza on it.. embarassed embarassed
We flogged the dog in the presence of the remains... Didn't deter the violent dog from doing it again, so we sold it to one Calabar man. undecided undecided

4 Likes

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Vivalavida99(f): 3:35pm On Jul 26, 2014
Seun, My dog ( Great Dane) does the same, he go after lizard, rat, chickens and even after smaller dogs.

I came back home a couple of times and found dead animals and birds he killed, but doesn't eat them.

I love his hunting skills kiss

2 Likes

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jul 26, 2014
Mine chases the lizards when he sees me around. When I'm not there, he allows them to eat from his tray--- talk about eye service. Nigerian dogs are hypocrites cheesy

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Sheenor: 3:44pm On Jul 26, 2014
tchidi: We had a dog with white mutt. One day we saw the mutt red, and he was licking his mouth! shocked shocked embarassed
It happened that a chicken had wandered into his territory and he went all ballistics a la Netanyahu/Gaza on it.. embarassed embarassed
We flogged the dog in the presence of the remains... Didn't deter the violent dog from doing it again, so we sold it to one Calabar man. undecided undecided

lolx
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Sheenor: 3:46pm On Jul 26, 2014
jassie: Mine chases the lizards when he sees me around. When I'm not there, he allows them to eat from his tray--- talk about eye service. Nigerian dogs are hypocrites cheesy

buhahaha.......dis is damn funny...
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by uzoexcel(m): 3:59pm On Jul 26, 2014
typical naija doggg...lol
jassie: Mine chases the lizards when he sees me around. When I'm not there, he allows them to eat from his tray--- talk about eye service. Nigerian dogs are hypocrites cheesy
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Lordabas: 4:03pm On Jul 26, 2014
my dog (Terminator) is trained to kill only one special breed of animals (humans), criminals and armed robbers in particulars angry
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Vikky014(f): 4:07pm On Jul 26, 2014
Jumps inside#Oga seun pls i HATE DOGS,close dis thread Asap!wunt share my experience#Winks#runs out
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jul 26, 2014
tchidi: We had a dog with white mutt. One day we saw the mutt red, and he was licking his mouth! shocked shocked embarassed
and you must include my calabar right?? grin
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by adanduka: 4:12pm On Jul 26, 2014
Hope this thread makes back page grin

2 Likes

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Dexpro: 4:30pm On Jul 26, 2014
ROFTLMAO grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Soknown: 4:32pm On Jul 26, 2014
My dogs have not killed anything yet but chases every moving animal in their vicinity especially when they are not on leash. there was a day that they barked exceptionally that I had to go out and verify what the problem was, guess what I found out, a moth taunting them. The moth was flying very close to them but out of reach because they were chained down. I was so angry.

3 Likes

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jul 26, 2014
KiddaBlingzz: and you must include my calabar right?? grin

Well, I was living in Cross River then, so it had to be a calabar man. tongue
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by sholay2011(m): 5:02pm On Jul 26, 2014
Seun and Dog-related topics sha...ahn ahn...

'My dog's ears are not straight'

'My dog's ear discomfort is making me sad'

'Is your dog male or female? '

'Reasons everyone should visit the pet section have a dog.'

'Is my dog full or half breed?'

'Does your dog kill rats?'

Etc etc.

Is he trolling grin grin

More grease to your elbow

7 Likes

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by firestar(f): 5:11pm On Jul 26, 2014
Seun: My dog killed a large rat (ekute) the first time he slept outside. Since then he's killed a pigeon and two tiny mice, also outside the house. He didn't eat any of them, even the ones he killed after I started feeding him raw chicken or fish every day. He almost killed a pigeon that got trapped inside the house in my presence, but I couldn't bear it so I opened the windows to let the pigeon escape. He hunts all small animals, including lizards (I've not had the privilege of seeing any dead lizard that he killed). I'm proud of his hunting skills; he's a good dog!

What about your dog? What kind of animals have your dogs killed? Did they eat them? Do you try to discourage them? Do you have pictures?

Rainy season, I've lost count of how many crabs, Reptiles(Monitor, Agama, gecko), rodents, Maxi, Rio, Major, Eboni, Rex, Spot and Paddy have unarmed and tailed-less.

Its their terrority. If it creeps or moves... Kill it.

Its a jungle out there Seun.

End of.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by HolyHolla(m): 5:15pm On Jul 26, 2014
Just feel to share this, perhaps it could help someone out there take a decision on whether to breed Rotts or not.

Rotts are great hunting dogs; and deadly killers of other animals and humans too if provoked. My 2 Rotts hate any other breed challenging them, so they both attacked and murdered the fully matured male adult Alsatian I brought in about 9 months ago because he dared to attack the female in pregnancy stage. The Alsatian too was almost as big as them, but lighter in weight, as you would normally expect.

I never feed my dogs with raw meat, but in the last 4 years, the Rotts have killed over 20 big snakes within my large compound, and also many rats and birds of different sizes; some rats as large small grasscutters. Not used to raw meat, they don't eat them, but just leave them in the open, hoping someone would roast or cook to their delight. But they recently also learnt the art of crushing the heads of the snakes with the aim to siphon the venom to antidote the bites they receive and venom spewed into their eyes from those snakes. None has been seriously ill due to snake venom so far, even though I also get them treated in addition.

Because of the fear of these canines, in the area, people keep a distance from my gates while passing bye!!! Thank God, they've never attacked any human yet. If they do, I can only guess the result. But they are well trained to attack only if they sense serious threats and they keep cool and calm without barking at visitors, only to spring out suddenly whenever they believe an outsider is constituting a nuisance to one of those living in the compound. God help that outsider if there's no one to control them at that time.

Don't ask if I live I the jungle. The sources of the vermins? It's a large estate where there are a few undeveloped plots of land festering vermins that roam in the night. All the plots allocated in the government owned estate are over 000 sq mts, and many people are unable to adequately manage the weeds on their premises, leading to overgrown bushes too. Not too far from the estate are some other developing private estates with very few houses too.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by GIYAZZ(m): 5:19pm On Jul 26, 2014
These days Seun without a dog topic is like Rap Battle section without the rants of Coogar! grin

Meanwhile, if I buy a dog, imma name it Coogar cool

3 Likes

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 26, 2014
Lol! Like Tom seriously chasing Jerry whenever his owner shows up

2 Likes

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Odunharry(m): 5:20pm On Jul 26, 2014
Vivalavida99: Seun, My dog ( Great Dane) does the same, he go after lizard, rat, chickens and even after smaller dogs.

I came back home a couple of times and found dead animals and birds he killed, but doesn't eat them.

I love his hunting skills kiss
i wan c ur dog
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Odunharry(m): 5:21pm On Jul 26, 2014
GIYAZZ: These days Seun without a dog topic is like Rap Battle section without the rants of Coogar! grin

Meanwhile, if I buy a dog, imma name it Coogar cool
lol
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Odunharry(m): 5:23pm On Jul 26, 2014
Seun u do av a nice dog..
What it name?nland

1 Like

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jul 26, 2014
I have an aggressive dogs. They kill almost all domestic animals in sight, be it snakes, sheeps, goats, rams,chickens, turkeys, etc. Paid so many times to Ram owners that my dogs kill their ram. Its a gory sight sometimes if u see how they hunt down their preys.

I have just four bingos inside my yard. I don't have time to cater for dogs, I do went out to return after weeks or months atimes, and my dogs know how they sort themselves out. Prefer bingos till tomorrow because they are not expensive to maintain
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Seun(m): 5:43pm On Jul 26, 2014
blackchukky: Why would you feed your dog with that.
Dogs are a subspecies of the grey wolf. A dog's digestive system is very similar to that of a grey wolf because dogs are descendants of grey wolves. They have similar digestive systems which can digest and extract nourishment from raw meat much better than other types of food.

The main reason I started feeding my dog with raw meat is that he came to me with yellow teeth and a bad mouth odor. When I fed him some raw chicken, I noticed that his teeth became whiter and his breath became quite alright. When I started feeding him dog food again, his teeth turned yellow and his breath became awful once again. He also became less lively (basically sleeping all the time). So I switched to raw for good.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 26, 2014
tchidi:

Well, I was living in Cross River then, so it had to be a calabar man. tongue
i'll spare you for being a paradise city been-to tongue
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Seun(m): 6:20pm On Jul 26, 2014
We flogged the dog in the presence of the remains...
That is wrong on 2 levels:
1) It's cruel.
2) It doesn't even work because the dog wont understand why he is being beaten They are simply not that smart.

Didn't deter the violent dog from doing it again, so we sold it to one Calabar man. undecided undecided
Yep, as I said, it does not work. So you just brutalized the dog for nothing.

the violent dog
Dogs are carnivores, like cats. Would you beat a cat and call it 'violent' because it killed a mouse? If you don't want violence, buy a little lamb!

Idrismusty97: Of course that is what a dog is meant for smiley. I have pictures of two giant bush rat killed by our dogs. I was privileged to watch the second bush rat being torn apart. That was when i discovered bush rats fight back!
Please post the pictures!

We train pigeons so it wouldn't be funny watching him kill pigeons. He would received beating of his life in front of the dead pigeon so he would know what he did wrong.
It won't work. The dog won't understand that killing the pigeon has anything to do with the beating he's getting. Only humans are that smart.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Official Clip From Port Harcourt Dogwalk 2017 / German Shepherd/beabull N Rottweiler Puppies (2 Months Old) For Sale-08077419869 / 8 Reasons Why Dogs Make The Best Pets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.