Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,125 members, 7,807,402 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:08 PM

Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) - Pets (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) (13712 Views)

I Am In Need Of Wilds, Birds And Domestics (eagles, Donkeys, Hyena, Zebra, Eland / PHOTOS. Funny Animals Pictures To Enlightened Your Mood / Dog Breeders List Your Dog Kennel Or Current Puppy Litter Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Burger01(m): 9:27pm On Jul 27, 2014
Animals, nope. Strangers or wanderers, be rest assured of torn trousers, skirts, bitten shoes and slippers... He just doesn't like strangers except if a stranger is seen with me. Alsatian dogs, I just like them. Very smart, dedicated and man's best friend. Your dog would take to what you train him to be be. My own na the ferocious type.. just to strangers. He doesn't have time for other animals.. maybe because I don't expose him to them...
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Superstar007(m): 11:58pm On Jul 27, 2014
nickz: reason why my dad dashed out one of our first black GSD,they killed lizards and rats ,whenever they had little chance to run out of the compound they chased people's chicken in a ccc church opposite our building.they even complained of the both of them chasing a goat.....we payed for every chicken they killed until we decided to give away the most stubborn one

Them bn dey on fasting? grin
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by mstik(f): 12:05am On Jul 28, 2014
I disagree with you Seun. My dog knows when she does something wrong because she goes into hiding and when you call her, she runs away without answering you. Dogs are actually smarter than we think.
Seun:
That is wrong on 2 levels:
1) It's cruel.
2) It doesn't even work because the dog wont understand why he is being beaten They are simply not that smart.

Yep, as I said, it does not work. So you just brutalized the dog for nothing.

Dogs are carnivores, like cats. Would you beat a cat and call it 'violent' because it killed a mouse? If you don't want violence, buy a little lamb!

Please post the pictures!

It won't work. The dog won't understand that killing the pigeon has anything to do with the beating he's getting. Only humans are that smart.

5 Likes

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Seun(m): 6:42am On Jul 28, 2014
mstik: My dog knows when she does something wrong because she goes into hiding and when you call her, she runs away without answering you.
Your dog knows that she will be beaten when you call her with an angry voice but she doesn't know why you are angry. Dogs are experts at reading our emotions, which is why we see them as man's best friend. But they cannot reason deductively like humans. Dog can only understand that there is a relationship between an action and a punishment if they are punished during the action.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Ishilove: 7:21am On Jul 28, 2014
Seun:
Your dog knows that she will be beaten when you call her with an angry voice but she doesn't know why you are angry. Dogs are experts at reading our emotions, which is why we see them as man's best friend. But they cannot reason deductively like humans. Dog can only understand that there is a relationship between an action and a punishment if they are punished during the action.
You have turned to an expert in animal psychology grin

When Ruggedman enters the house with his flies, we order him out. We say ''Rugged, out''. He will not obey the command until you clap your hands together and scream "RUGGED, OYA OUUTT!!" Which leads me to believe that he doesn't actually obey the words but the tone of voice. We have been using the command 'out' since the day he was born but he doesn't seem to understand. On the other hand, his mother Beauty understood us perfectly. We spoke to her like a human being and she understood. ''Beauty leave there'', and she would get up immediately. Pointing to pieces of fish or meat we are leaving unattended, we say ''Beauty, don't near there'', and she will stay away from the fish and meat (she would sit at a croner staring hungrily at them and drooling)

We never raised our voices, so Seun, I will have to partially disagree with your analogy.
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Tallesty1(m): 8:08am On Jul 28, 2014
Ishilove:
You have turned to an expert in animal psychology grin

When Ruggedman enters the house with his flies, we order him out. We say ''Rugged, out''. He will not obey the command until you clap your hands together and scream "RUGGED, OYA OUUTT!!" Which leads me to believe that he doesn't actually obey the words but the tone of voice. We have been using the command 'out' since the day he was born but he doesn't seem to understand. On the other hand, his mother Beauty understood us perfectly. We spoke to her like a human being and she understood. ''Beauty leave there'', and she would get up immediately. Pointing to pieces of fish or meat we are leaving unattended, we say ''Beauty, don't near there'', and she will stay away from the fish and meat (she would sit at a croner staring hungrily at them and drooling)

We never raised our voices, so Seun, I will have to partially disagree with your analogy.
You named him rugged and you wonder why it is stubborn?grin

2 Likes

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by nickz(m): 10:39am On Jul 28, 2014
Superstar007:

Them bn dey on fasting? grin
bros this dogs na gluttons
they were.spoiled when pups
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Superstar007(m): 2:29pm On Jul 28, 2014
nickz: bros this dogs na gluttons
they were.spoiled when pups

Okay, I grab
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Ezemu(m): 7:40pm On Jul 28, 2014
This dog needs to be taken hunting. He is a working dog bro.

1 Like

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by WoodcrestMayor(m): 6:20pm On Jul 29, 2014
I have two and they both very playful-chase any mobile thing.They kill stuffs but don't eat-mainly lizards and rats.The lizards happen to be victims of falling off their 'beds' at night. cheesy One of them killed a sizeable snake last year though.
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by WoodcrestMayor(m): 6:22pm On Jul 29, 2014
Choi!Dis rat big o!Which recipe u create with the rat? grin
Seun: My dog killed a large rat (ekute) the first time he slept outside. Since then he's killed a pigeon and two tiny mice, also outside the house. He didn't eat any of them, even the ones he killed after I started feeding him raw chicken or fish every day. He almost killed a pigeon that got trapped inside the house in my presence, but I couldn't bear it so I opened the windows to let the pigeon escape. He hunts all small animals, including lizards (I've not had the privilege of seeing any dead lizard that he killed). I'm proud of his hunting skills; he's a good dog!

What about your dog? What kind of animals have your dogs killed? Did they eat them? Do you try to discourage them? Do you have pictures?
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Drajah(m): 7:24pm On Aug 02, 2014
Boo the "lizard and rat killer"
Caught in the act

2 Likes

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by doeying(m): 8:15am On Aug 03, 2014
Vivalavida99: Seun, My dog ( Great Dane) does the same, he go after lizard, rat, chickens and even after smaller dogs.

I came back home a couple of times and found dead animals and birds he killed, but doesn't eat them.

I love his hunting skills kiss

omg..you have a Great Dane!!!....i want!!!!!!:-)
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by smileysmiles(f): 5:24pm On Aug 03, 2014
Bradford !! bradford!! can u see ur mates?? they are killing snakes annd lizards and sheep! i av been beggin u to help me find d one tiny rat dat has been terrorizin me at midnight for the past 2weeks but no, u wont! All u do is shake ur cute butt all around d house and terrorise lil kids! dont worry o! dont worry!
if u were not so cute i woulda relocated to calabar!!

8 Likes

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by doeying(m): 11:45pm On Aug 09, 2014
Please quick question...after killing all these rats and lizards..do you allow your dogs touch you at all..?? considering all the germs and diseases these rodents carry
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Abyjah: 2:12pm On Aug 11, 2014
smileysmiles: Bradford !! bradford!! can u see ur mates?? they are killing snakes annd lizards and sheep! i av been beggin u to help me find d one tiny rat dat has been terrorizin me at midnight for the past 2weeks but no, u wont! All u do is shake ur cute butt all around d house and terrorise lil kids! dont worry o! dont worry!
if u were not so cute i woulda relocated to calabar!!
You'd do well in the field of canine poetry as a career.
Meanwhile, I'd like to see this dog you romanticise about if you don't mind.
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Slyr0x: 6:35pm On Aug 11, 2014
My dog killed this bush-rat like some days back. To dispose now became wahala 'cos of the whole Ebola scare. Had to wear gloves before I could even hold the "packer" to dispose the rat. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by hilaryiwens05: 7:06pm On Aug 11, 2014
haaaa...oya wat did u apply on ur dog...hope say u neva baptise am with lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Slyr0x: My dog killed this bush-rat like some days back. To dispose now became wahala 'cos of the whole Ebola scare. Had to wear gloves before I could even hold the "packer" to dispose the rat. cheesy
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Slyr0x: 9:58pm On Aug 11, 2014
hilaryiwens05: haaaa...oya wat did u apply on ur dog...hope say u neva baptise am with lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

With salt? Lmfao. .I just dey observe the dog oo. .
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Shawnalex(m): 7:18am On Aug 13, 2014
Seun:

The guy u re contradicting is actually rite. We don't hit our pets but when they do something wrong during the nite, they actually run wen u open the doors in the morning, 1 used to draw all the clothes that are long down from the line and den gathers it together like a makeshift bed, another 1 destroys all plastics and wood items, another destroys footwear. We don't hit them yet they still run from us in the morning
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by doeying(m): 11:46am On Aug 13, 2014
doeying: Please quick question...after killing all these rats and lizards..do you allow your dogs touch you at all..?? considering all the germs and diseases these rodents carry

i really need an answer please
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Seun(m): 2:17pm On Aug 13, 2014
Shawnalex: The guy u re contradicting is actually rite. We don't hit our pets but when they do something wrong during the nite, they actually run wen u open the doors in the morning, 1 used to draw all the clothes that are long down from the line and den gathers it together like a makeshift bed, another 1 destroys all plastics and wood items, another destroys footwear. We don't hit them yet they still run from us in the morning
They run from you because your body language and the tone of your voice tells them that you are angry: [url]dogtime.com/the-guilty-look.html[/url]. That does not mean they know why you're angry. Dogs do not understand that it's bad to destroy things. To them, it's just a way to have fun!
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by moyarhtohbadt(f): 3:34pm On Aug 13, 2014
HolyHolla: Just feel to share this, perhaps it could help someone out there take a decision on whether to breed Rotts or not.

Rotts are great hunting dogs; and deadly killers of other animals and humans too if provoked. My 2 Rotts hate any other breed challenging them, so they both attacked and murdered the fully matured male adult Alsatian I brought in about 9 months ago because he dared to attack the female in pregnancy stage. The Alsatian too was almost as big as them, but lighter in weight, as you would normally expect.

I never feed my dogs with raw meat, but in the last 4 years, the Rotts have killed over 20 big snakes within my large compound, and also many rats and birds of different sizes; some rats as large small grasscutters. Not used to raw meat, they don't eat them, but just leave them in the open, hoping someone would roast or cook to their delight. But they recently also learnt the art of crushing the heads of the snakes with the aim to siphon the venom to antidote the bites they receive and venom spewed into their eyes from those snakes. None has been seriously ill due to snake venom so far, even though I also get them treated in addition.

Because of the fear of these canines, in the area, people keep a distance from my gates while passing bye!!! Thank God, they've never attacked any human yet. If they do, I can only guess the result. But they are well trained to attack only if they sense serious threats and they keep cool and calm without barking at visitors, only to spring out suddenly whenever they believe an outsider is constituting a nuisance to one of those living in the compound. God help that outsider if there's no one to control them at that time.

Don't ask if I live I the jungle. The sources of the vermins? It's a large estate where there are a few undeveloped plots of land festering vermins that roam in the night. All the plots allocated in the government owned estate are over 000 sq mts, and many people are unable to adequately manage the weeds on their premises, leading to overgrown bushes too. Not too far from the estate are some other developing private estates with very few houses too.
Your dogs may be possessed.Put them to sleep before they start something you wont be able to finish.
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by moyarhtohbadt(f): 4:00pm On Aug 13, 2014
Three yrs ago,we had a dog,Clarkar.He was jez a pup,there was nothing he didnt kill,and he always ate dem.Then one night a big rat got stuck to the gate,Clarkar got hold of it and ate it.The next morning we saw the remains of the rat,the intestine was half eaten.That same day,he fell sick and died.I wept like a child.And everybody that heard the story said,the dog died because of the intestine it ate,,,which i've always believed...but with these stories..its confusing!
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Benbobola(m): 5:52pm On Aug 13, 2014
mine actually ate my neighbor's supra shoes overnite. i mean he tore them apart. Had to go beg the guy this morning.
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Seun(m): 5:54pm On Aug 13, 2014
On Monday, I saw some poops that could not be accounted for by the food I'd been giving my dog. He must have eaten some animal(s).

moyarhtohbadt: Then one night a big rat got stuck to the gate,Clarkar got hold of it and ate it.The next morning we saw the remains of the rat,the intestine was half eaten.That same day,he fell sick and died.I wept like a child.
The rat may have been poisoned. Maybe that's why it got stuck to the gate in the first place. Eating intestines is nothing special to a dog.
Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Benbobola(m): 6:19pm On Aug 13, 2014
now i also have to add this. about 3 weeks ago, my dog killed a large bush rat and left it at the front of his cage in d morning. i praised him for doing it anyway and in my happiness and mood of ignorance, i cooked it for him. 2 days later, he was d sickest i have ever seen. i mean to the extent he was stooling stinking blood, he never ate, he rarely moved, had to be carried and lost weight terribly. A daily trip to the vet every morning for a week including sunday was wat stopped it (lots of antibiotics, vit supplements). it was hell, i tot he was going to die buh am so glad hes good now. so, pls lets watch wat our dogs eat. PLEASE. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) by Seun(m): 8:13pm On Aug 13, 2014
Benbobola: now i also have to add this. about 3 weeks ago, my dog killed a large bush rat and left it at the front of his cage in d morning. i praised him for doing it anyway and in my happiness and mood of ignorance, i cooked it for him. 2 days later, he was d sickest i have ever seen. i mean to the extent he was stooling stinking blood, he never ate, he rarely moved, had to be carried and lost weight terribly. A daily trip to the vet every morning for a week including sunday was wat stopped it (lots of antibiotics, vit supplements). it was hell, i tot he was going to die buh am so glad hes good now. so, pls lets watch wat our dogs eat. PLEASE. Thank you
What do you think almost killed him?
- It could have been that the rat was poisoned, which made it easy for your dog to catch it. The poison could have caused the symptoms.
- It could also be that your dog was simply not used to eating lots of meat & bones all at once. Perhaps you'd been feeding him rice, indomie, etc. Perhaps you rarely gave him edible bones to chew on. In that case, if he ate the whole bushrat at once, and especially if he didn't chew the bones properly, then the bones simply would not digest in his stomach, and could go on to perforate his intestines. This would explain why he refused to eat and why he was stooling stinking blood (which is basically blood from the perforation mixed with partially digested poo).

There was a time I fed my dog a catfish from the supermarket. Sometime later, he started yellow liquid with drops of blood. I was really worried but I kept observing him and feeding him normal dog food. Finally he pooped what looked like the skull of a catfish, with yellow liquid, blood, and some blades of grass which he probably ate to cure his discomfort. After that, he was fine, and I'd learnt not to feed catfish to my dog.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

German Shepherd/beabull N Rottweiler Puppies (2 Months Old) For Sale-08077419869 / I Have A Pure Breed Puppies Caucassian,rot,neopoletan,mastive Dogs For Sale. / 8 Reasons Why Dogs Make The Best Pets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.