Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,046 members, 7,799,541 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:22 AM

Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? (1426 Views)

Having Visitors Without Prior Notice: Your View / Are There Any Nigerian Tribes With Ancenstral Links With Tribes In Ghana? / Can Any Nigerian Man Look Like This Man (Pics Included) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by tpia1: 10:44pm On Jul 26, 2014
were any US citizen nigerian kids born to nigerian parents in the US prior to that decade?

just curious, nobody seems to be coming to mind.

has anyone heard of such instances, or has there been any famous nigerian who was born in the US before 1970?
Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by tpia1: 10:58pm On Jul 26, 2014
I know Britain has had British Nigerians born in Britain of Nigerian parentage for centuries, but there seems to be no or very little correlation with this phenomenon, in America.
Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:59pm On Jul 26, 2014
There may be.

Last Bullet

I m just looking for trouble tonight.
Dunno whether I can get it here?
Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by tpia1: 11:10pm On Jul 26, 2014
serious responders only please

I am covered by the blood of Jesus, every weapon directed against me, back to sender in Jesus name. Amen.

tpia1: were any US citizen nigerian kids born to nigerian parents in the US prior to that decade?

has anyone heard of such instances, or has there been any famous nigerian who was born in the US before 1970?
Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by bigfrancis21: 1:23pm On Jul 28, 2014
tpia1: were any US citizen nigerian kids born to nigerian parents in the US prior to that decade?

The country Nigeria only became a republic as recently as in 1960. There were not much international travels to US then as you have now. However during 1967 - 1970, some Biafrans were airlifted to US by Charity airplanes on charity mission to Biafra. I suppose a few Nigerian-Biafrans may have been born in US during that 3-year timeframe.
Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by tpia1: 7:49pm On Jul 28, 2014
^ the airlift consisted of mostly children, i think.

they wouldnt start having their own babies in the countries they were airlifted to, until much later.

I'm trying to see if there were either no nigerians (or nigerian couples) in the US in the sixties/fifties/forties/thirties,etc, or the ones who were there prior to the 70s, didnt have kids in the country.

Its a rather unusual situation because the same didnt apply in europe, especially britain.

this strange silence means either there are none, or any of such, integrated wholly into their environments and left no visible trace.
Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by tpia1: 8:15pm On Jul 28, 2014
so i guess the question is, who is the oldest nigerian child born in the US from maybe the 1920s until now? (or born in the twentieth century in the US).

is there any clue?
Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by anonymous6(f): 8:20pm On Jul 28, 2014
I never heard of or know of nigerians American citizens that existed around that time but it's possible. However it's unlikely cause Nigerians were more interested in England then going to America then.
Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by tpia1: 8:24pm On Jul 28, 2014
bigfrancis21:

The country Nigeria only became a republic as recently as in 1960. There were not much international travels to US then as you have now.

true

However during 1967 - 1970, some Biafrans were airlifted to US by Charity airplanes on charity mission to Biafra. I suppose a few Nigerian-Biafrans may have been born in US during that 3-year timeframe.

unless they were of child bearing age and got pregnant during that time, not sure how it would be possible.

seems some nigerians were in the US just before the start of the war, and stayed through the hostilities, but there is little known about them.

people from SE, SS, etc.
Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by tpia1: 8:25pm On Jul 28, 2014
anonymous6: I never heard of or know of nigerians American citizens that existed around that time but it's possible

i have literally never met any.

However it's unlikely cause Nigerians were more interested in England then going to America then.

england and to some extent, the rest of europe.

1 Like

Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by anonymous6(f): 8:34pm On Jul 28, 2014
tpia1:

i have literally never met any.

england and to some extent, the rest of europe.

true
Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by tpia1: 8:35pm On Jul 28, 2014
according to the book Immigration in America Today: An Encyclopedia- between 1900 and 1950, only 31,000 Africans immigrated to America.

most of these were probably not Nigerians.

so i guess its safe to assume the period of particular interest would be 1950 to 1967 perhaps.

and the first (documented) nigerian born on american soil in the twentieth century, to nigerian parents, was probably in the early 70s?

1 Like

Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by bigfrancis21: 5:36am On Jul 29, 2014
tpia1: according to the book Immigration in America Today: An Encyclopedia- between 1900 and 1950, only 31,000 Africans immigrated to America.

most of these were probably not Nigerians.

so i guess its safe to assume the period of particular interest would be 1950 to 1967 perhaps.

and the first (documented) nigerian born on american soil in the twentieth century, to nigerian parents, was probably in the early 70s?

Prior to 1960, Nigeria as a country did not exist and Nigerians in US, if any, did not identify as Nigerians as the entity did not exist then. A few well-to-do in 'Nigeria' prior to 1960 may have travelled to US before Nigeria became a country.

Scores of Biafran families, children, men and women were airlifted to US severally by charity airplanes during the war between 1967 to 1970. There may have been pregnant women airlifted at that time as well who gave birth on arrival to US. Hence, there's tiny chance that a few Nigerians were born prior to 1970 in the US, has to be between 1967 to 1970. These biafran refugees were granted permanent residency based on asylum.

The controversial popular lady in America known for her anti-comments after doing her research confirmed that Nigerians were few or almost unknown in the US prior to 1970.
Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by tpia1: 12:17pm On Jul 29, 2014
Prior to 1960, Nigerians had British passports.

And America was not a destination choice for the majority of Nigerians, for some reason.

In 1925, there were 4 documented Nigerian students studying in US universities, and 25,800 or so Nigerians in the US by 1980.

Its my understanding Biafran children were flown to other African countries like Gabon, São Tome and Ivory Coast during the war, and from there some may have been transported to America (or maybe taken there at the outbreak of hostilities). Its also possible some adults may have been included. It seems some Igbos could also have been in the US when the war started, and remained outside of Nigeria for its duration.
Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 5:18pm On Jul 29, 2014
Probably as soon as Africans were allowed to get in the USA
Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by tpia1: 2:09am On Jul 30, 2014
^seems 13 Cameroonians were admitted to the US as students in 1974 (first documented presence).

by 1990 the number of Cameroonians had grown to 3161.

source: Cameroonian Immigrants in the United States.

According to the US Census Bureau, 71.6% of Cameroonian immigrants entered the country between 2000 and 2009.

source: ibid.
Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by tpia1: 2:13am On Jul 30, 2014
so, going by those figures, the first person of Cameroonian descent born on US soil to Cameroonian parents, would likely have been born sometime after 1974, if not the 80s, assuming the 13 students all returned home after their studies, and assuming females were among the original 13.
Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by fightforchange1(f): 7:04pm On Jul 30, 2014
No
One
Sane
Would
Have
Wanted
To
Come.
Lol cheesy

1 Like

Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by tpia1: 9:13pm On Jul 31, 2014
They weren't encouraged to come, actually.
Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by tpiar: 4:49pm On Dec 16, 2015
Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by tpiah01: 2:48am On Mar 29, 2016
Re: Were There Any Nigerian American Citizens Prior To The 1970s? by Wulfruna(f): 4:42am On Mar 29, 2016
Figjtforchange1 is correct. No one sane would have wanted to go. Not with Jim Crow laws and lynchings of black people being the order of the day.

A small number did go to study there before the '70s though (most of them that I know of appear to be Igbo - like Azikiwe, Mbonu Ojike, Mbadiwe, Nwafor Orizu, Okongwu, Ikejiani, etc). It's possible that some of these Nigerian students played around with American girls and left Nigerian-Americans behind. Stuff like that always happens. Of course, I have no proof that it happened in the case of the pre-70s Nigerian students in America.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

See Funny Comments As #EDOGIRLS Trends On Twitter / An Adulterous Couple Unable To Disentagle: Truth Or Hoax? / Racial Abuse In The Uk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.