Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,707 members, 7,805,903 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:17 AM

The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr - Islam for Muslims (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr (88027 Views)

The Moon Has Been Sighted In Saudi Arabia And Some Other Countries / Eid Ul Fitri: Barka Da Sallah / The Moon Has Been Sighted Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by maclatunji: 11:11am On Jul 27, 2014
Theloveth:
how sure are you that it is not cloudy? Therefore making it 30days of fasting.And is Sultan among the moon sighting committee? The only basis of your argument is if you come up on the being the leader ground.Why didnt he carry the other member of his committee along,remember Oloyede is the 3rd in command.

I laugh in Chinese, I am not remotely related in terms of being an official of the Supreme Council for Islamic affairs and I am feeling a part of the system. The secretary cannot say he does not know how things work. #Laughing
Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by Ariyke: 11:25am On Jul 27, 2014
Happy Eid Mubarak my bro and sis may Allah accept our fasting as an act of Ibadah smiley
Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by titoetal(m): 11:29am On Jul 27, 2014
To all Moslem brothers/sisters here, your christian bros wishes you a happy celebration.
Let's all continue to pray for PEACE and LOVE in our hearts, families, states, nation and world over. Especially in Nigeria, Iraq, Israeli/Palestinian, Syria, Sudan, CAR etc.
Oh! How long shall the killing continue?

May Allah breath His peace on all crisis riden parts of the world during this celebration so that there will permanent cease fire. Living in love and religious tolerance.
Let's us know that the world is more than enough to accommodate all.

Happy Eid-El Fitri.
God Bless Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by tunde1200(m): 11:35am On Jul 27, 2014
HARDUBUY:
Yes, i grab u..i was only trying to let someone know the situation! you are right.
@kudsweet, stuffs like that are sometimes bound to occur, just ignore those false news and do the needful.
Ok
Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by tunde1200(m): 11:38am On Jul 27, 2014
cool
titoetal: To all Moslem brothers/sisters here, your christian bros wishes you a happy celebration.
Let's all continue to pray for PEACE and LOVE in our hearts, families, states, nation and world over. Especially in Nigeria, Iraq, Israeli/Palestinian, Syria, Sudan, CAR etc.

May Allah breath His peace on all crisis riden parts of the world during this celebration so that there will permanent cease fire. Living in love and religious tolerance.

Happy Eid-El Fitri.
God Bless Nigeria.

May almighty increase your knowledge bro!
Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by mahleeq(m): 11:42am On Jul 27, 2014
abbeywasc: nigeria and their politics. y shud we start or end ramadan alone just to prove dt we are not following saudi? y was dia no report from any of the imams in south-south, south-east and south-west dt d moon has been sighted? y are dey keeping silent( to allow d sultan bear d burden alone if he's wrong?) where is nigeria on d globe dt makes her d first to see d crescent all d time? y hasnt Niger, ghana, cameroon or chad declare today as eid? the sky is clearer in algeria, tunisia and egypt( afterall dey are in d desert and roughly d same timezone) y was dia no report from dem? are we really dt unique? and for those willing to follow d sunnah( of following d local leaders) then, d sultan does not qualify as such unless u live in sokoto. based on dictates, u av to wait until d imam in ur town declares d moon sighted. if a lagosian cant use d reports from benin republic, he definitely shudnt use dt of sokoto.( it amounts to using technology to find d moon cos u avnt sighted it locally but learnt thru electronic media dt it was sighted hence u biliv urs must av crescent too). if u check d statement released it says it was sighted across d country but only emirs from d north were quoted. is d north alone "across d country"wink. ask ursef, are we dt strategically positioned to see d moon b4 d rest of d world?
wAllahu all'am

I posted a picture on this thread and I personally took that picture in lagos on the 29th day of June 2014, which is suppose to be the second day of ramadan. it will be very unusual to see a crescent that is a day old in Lagos.
we started fasting on that very Saturday that the moon was sighted. The truth is wether we like it or not those of us in places like lagos may never get to see an day old crescent in a life time and all we can do is to rely on dependable Authorities to put us through, I can remember while growing up, I was used to hearing awon hausa ma bere loni awa ma bere lola ( Hausas will start today while we will start tomorrow) and by the time the crescent would finally appear it will be so obvious that the crescent is atleast 3days old and its just our own first day of ramadan, most times we ended up with 27-28days of fasting and that is exactly what is happening in Saudi now,
it should not be a Freud thing, the guidelines are there and whoever takes advantage of it then, its between such a fellow and Allah.

Eid Mubarak.

3 Likes

Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by mahleeq(m): 11:43am On Jul 27, 2014
titoetal: To all Moslem brothers/sisters here, your christian bros wishes you a happy celebration.

Happy Eid-El Fitri.
God Bless Nigeria.

Amin
Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by IbnuUche(m): 11:48am On Jul 27, 2014
AlBaqir: "Moon is not possible to be seen anywhere inthe world” on Saturday, July 26th

“It is an indisputable fact that the old (Ramadan) moon will set just before sunset in Nigeria on Saturday, 26 th of July 2014. The new astronomic moon would be born few minutes before midnight of that Saturday.

“Consequently, the search for Shawwal moon is on Sunday 27th of July 2014. It can be sighted in Nigeria on SUNDAY with optical instruments or with some difficulties with naked eyes. Any claim of sighting a moon that is yet to be born is not only false, mistaken or impossible but also ridiculous.”

~Prof. Ishaq Oloyede

http://m.premiumtimesng.com/news/165631-controversy-in-nigeria-over-sighting-of-new-moon-to-mark-end-of-ramadan.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=controversy-in-nigeria-over-sighting-of-new-moon-to-mark-end-of-ramadan
sultan has annouce sighting of shawwl crecent, noting. that your astromic english concern
Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by Motolank: 12:13pm On Jul 27, 2014
Kunlexic: ignorant,go get life...if not today's eid-il,I will have insult u and ur buffons family

Imole soro ojo kunnnnn... After today ur intrinsic nature suld rtn? Happy Eid.... to all of una?
Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by IbnuUche(m): 12:26pm On Jul 27, 2014
AlBaqir: "Moon is not possible to be seen anywhere inthe world” on Saturday, July 26th

“It is an indisputable fact that the old (Ramadan) moon will set just before sunset in Nigeria on Saturday, 26 th of July 2014. The new astronomic moon would be born few minutes before midnight of that Saturday.

“Consequently, the search for Shawwal moon is on Sunday 27th of July 2014. It can be sighted in Nigeria on SUNDAY with optical instruments or with some difficulties with naked eyes. Any claim of sighting a moon that is yet to be born is not only false, mistaken or impossible but also ridiculous.”

~Prof. Ishaq Oloyede

http://m.premiumtimesng.com/news/165631-controversy-in-nigeria-over-sighting-of-new-moon-to-mark-end-of-ramadan.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=controversy-in-nigeria-over-sighting-of-new-moon-to-mark-end-of-ramadan
based on prophet tradition (sunnah) sultan been trusted has annouce sighting of shawwal crecent, noting more. that your astromic english concern you & your prof. happy eidel -fitr to muslims . may ALLAH accept & reward our righteous deeds. bless & secure Nigeria. ameeen.
Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by DECOtech(m): 12:29pm On Jul 27, 2014
Khalessi: I didn't know the moon was missing
that's subtle, I like that *smiles*

1 Like

Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by titoetal(m): 12:41pm On Jul 27, 2014
tunde1200: cool

May almighty increase your knowledge bro!

Thanks bros and have a fruitful celebration now and always.
Cheers!!
Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by frostmate: 1:25pm On Jul 27, 2014
Eid Mubarak!!!

But how comes the moon has already been sighted already.
Most places say you should be on the lookout from today.
Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by alotofgrace(m): 1:53pm On Jul 27, 2014
Azo:

I will wait till xmas to know how to reply you when u greet people merry xmas..

islam is peace na broda
Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by AlBaqir(m): 3:11pm On Jul 27, 2014
LATEST ON MOONSIGHTING (III) National
Moonsighting committe reported, that new moon
was born @ about 11:45 pm in Nigeria on saturday
(after Sultan announce his own moon) and it will
take several hours to be seen with naked eyes, even, it cannot be sighted in Africa today, except small possibility in South Africa. The case of given Clerical/Scholar task to the politicians is disgusting and need urgent attention in this country. It is ridiculous, unscientific and very wrong for anyone to announce end of Ramadan ahead of birth of new moon. Is our own sky different here, Is our own moon manufactured here in Nigeria. Find out how many country are celebrating end of Ramadan around the world? This is getting worst!!

1 Like

Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by Kunlexic(m): 3:28pm On Jul 27, 2014
How are u all now celebrating salah?
Can we do e-celebration on nairaland?

Barka de salah wink wink wink
Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by deebrain(m): 3:46pm On Jul 27, 2014
Special Christian shout out to all nairaland Muslims. Especially to my bro from another mother, (soon to be) Dr Ahmed Idris studying and repping us well in Malaysia. Its time for the cinema things YOU PROMISED (just in case).

Happy Idl Fitri.

1 Like

Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by whyman(m): 7:50pm On Jul 27, 2014
Alhamd Lillah. The moon had been sighted in Saudi Arabia and South Africa.
Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by luciangelymail(f): 10:27pm On Jul 27, 2014
I used to look at Muslims b4 as dangerous, till I met dis guy, Muideen, woow, he is from Lagos , he has proved to me dat, its not about religion, its individual, he s well educated, he is polished, a very good and kind man, in fact, he is my boss, but av never witnessed any of my colleagues talk bad about him. he is just good. because of that, av ventured into reading articles about islam, though am a Christian, a stunch one, but I want to tell my Christian brethren, give Muslims a chance, u see that wicked attitude? its individual, not their religion. God bless us all. happy eid el fitr celebration to all Muslims. may God help all wicked Christians and Muslims to repent .
Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by abbeywasc(m): 4:01pm On Jul 29, 2014
mahleeq:

I posted a picture on this thread and I personally took that picture in lagos on the 29th day of June 2014, which is suppose to be the second day of ramadan. it will be very unusual to see a crescent that is a day old in Lagos.
we started fasting on that very Saturday that the moon was sighted. The truth is wether we like it or not those of us in places like lagos may never get to see an day old crescent in a life time and all we can do is to rely on dependable Authorities to put us through, I can remember while growing up, I was used to hearing awon hausa ma bere loni awa ma bere lola ( Hausas will start today while we will start tomorrow) and by the time the crescent would finally appear it will be so obvious that the crescent is atleast 3days old and its just our own first day of ramadan, most times we ended up with 27-28days of fasting and that is exactly what is happening in Saudi now,
it should not be a Freud thing, the guidelines are there and whoever takes advantage of it then, its between such a fellow and Allah.

Eid Mubarak.
hmmmmm, i'm not faulting the fact dt d sultan chose not to follow scientific evidence or saudi. however some things are still wrong.
1) there is an islamic ruling on witnessing. this was invoked in india when one team out of four moonsighting teams claimed dey saw d moon. d majority stance was invoked. in nigeria, none of the 24 MSC members spread across d nation saw it, yet........
2) when such a claim was made, y didnt he consult wt d MSC b4 making the pronouncement, at least he trusted dem enuff to appoint dem
3) it is quite common dt two consecutive lunar month are never of d same lenght. its usually 29d, 30d, 29d, etc. shaban was 29 if we assumed dt saturday we started was really first of Ramadan.
anyway dts nw in d past and we shud luk ahead and find means of averting such.
NB: i liked ur post by d way. and pls pay back the fast u missed on sunday. the Sultan has spoken on d issue again.
may Allah accept it as an act of ibadah and save us from the torment of His wrath both on earth and the day of accountability

The palace of Sultan Sa’ad Abubakar has now
admitted that the Sultan made a mistake by
announcing the end of Ramadan based on
claims by some Nigerian Muslims that they
sighted the new moon of Shawwal on Saturday
night.
The result of the joint moonsighting exercise
undertaken by the Sultanate Moon Sighting
Committee and the Nigerian National
Moonsighting Committee on Sunday clearly
showed that the monarch erred in the
pronouncement he made on Saturday
prematurely terminating the Ramadan fast in
Nigeria.
The Sultan, who is also the President of the
Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs
[NSCIA], commissioned the joint moonsighting
investigation after his Saturday call triggered
controversy, with some of the nation’s
foremost clerics as well as the Secretary
General of the NSCIA, Is-haq Oloyede, openly
questioning his judgment.
The result of the investigation, also endorsed
by the Sultan’s representatives, was
unambiguous: The claim that the moon was
sighted on Saturday was questionable as it was
impossible for anyone to see the moon
anywhere in the world at that time.
The committee carried out its assignment
between 6:45PM and 7:45PM on Sunday.
The report of the joint committee, compiled by
Usman Mahmud, a research officer with the
National Moon Sighting Committee, reads in
part:
“I write to inform you that we (the National
Moon Sighting Committee) and the Sultanate
Moon Sighting Committee went to the Sighting
of Moon today (Sunday, July 27, 2014).
“The moon was not sighted with naked eye or
with telescope and binocular. However, we
used some programmes and software
applications like Skymap, Stellarium and
Virtual Moon to get the details of the moon.
“The details of the Moon are: Age: 19H (hour)
05M(minutes); Hour Angle/DE:04H 45M 11S
(seconds)/ +12 21’11′; Distance between sun
and moon: 3.5′.”
Experts say the result of the investigation
suggested that the Sultan erred by declaring
the end of Ramadan and beginning of Shawwal
even when a new moon had not been born.
“It was a big error,” said Sheikh Abdulrazaq
Ishola, a member of the Moonsighting
Committee Worldwide, who himself was at the
AlBayrouny Observatory in Mecca that
Saturday in search of the moon. “The (Sultan’s)
announcement embarrassed Nigeria all over
the world because in no other place was such
ridiculous claim of sighting the moon on
Saturday made.
“How can anyone claim that he saw the moon
even when conjunction of the moon and the
sun had just taken place? That is impossible. In
any case, where should we ask people to find a
moon that had not been born?”
Mr. Ishola explained that after conjunction
takes place, (which he said occurred at 11:47
PM on Saturday), it usually takes about 17
hours for the moon to be sighted with a
telescope and between 18 and 23 hours to be
visible to the naked eye.
“What happened in Nigeria is disrespect to
Islam and Muslims,” the cleric, who is also a a
member of the Abu Dhabi-based Islamic
Crescent Observatory Project, said. “We are in
the 21st century, yet we are still living in the
past in Nigeria.”
Sultan Abubakar had around midnight on
Saturday announced the sighting of the new
moon and therefore the end of Ramadan,
making Nigeria the only country in the world
which celebrated Eid on Sunday.
“The new month of Shawwal was sighted in
different places within Nigeria and therefore
tomorrow (Sunday) is the first day of Shawwal
equivalent to 27 July 2014,” the Sultan said in
an announcement aired on the Nigerian
Television Authority [NTA].
But when contacted after the Sultan’s
announcement, the Secretary-General of the
organisation, Is-haq Oloyede, a professor of
Islamic Studies, told PREMIUM TIMES he was
not aware the moon had been sighted.
“I spoke to the Sultan about four times tonight
(Saturday) and he did not tell me that the
moon has been sighted,” Mr. Oloyede told
PREMIUM TIMES. “In any case, any such claim
is ridiculous and unscientific. It cannot be
right.
“The National Moon-Sighting Committee has
not informed us of any credible sighting of the
moon. Rather, they said the moon wasn’t
sighted. The new moon was only born at 11:45
P.M. tonight (Saturday) and it will take several
hours for it to be sighted.
“Is our own sky different? Is our own moon
manufactured in Nigeria?” he said.
Mr. Oloyede’s comment sparked controversy in
Nigeria. While some Muslim faithful broke their
fast following the Sultan’s announcement,
others (especially in the South-West region)
proceeded to fast on Sunday and only
celebrated Eid-El-Fitri on Monday.
Source: m.premiumtimesng.com/news/165715-exclusive-sultans-palace-admits-moon-wasnt-sighted-before-sokoto-monarch-called-off-ramadan-in-nigeria.html
Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by feedthenation(m): 5:00pm On Jul 29, 2014
It's so amazing that the sighting of the moon is causing a little bit of confusion.
Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by ShehuAba(m): 5:22pm On Jul 29, 2014
abbeywasc:
hmmmmm, i'm not faulting the fact dt d sultan chose not to follow scientific evidence or saudi. however some things are still wrong.
1) there is an islamic ruling on witnessing. this was invoked in india when one team out of four moonsighting teams claimed dey saw d moon. d majority stance was invoked. in nigeria, none of the 24 MSC members spread across d nation saw it, yet........
2) when such a claim was made, y didnt he consult wt d MSC b4 making the pronouncement, at least he trusted dem enuff to appoint dem
3) it is quite common dt two consecutive lunar month are never of d same lenght. its usually 29d, 30d, 29d, etc. shaban was 29 if we assumed dt saturday we started was really first of Ramadan.
anyway dts nw in d past and we shud luk ahead and find means of averting such.
NB: i liked ur post by d way. and pls pay back the fast u missed on sunday. the Sultan has spoken on d issue again.
may Allah accept it as an act of ibadah and save us from the torment of His wrath both on earth and the day of accountability

Please where is the sultan speaking on the issue here again. Stop making hasty conclusions please. I think it is better we read and analyze a report very well before concluding.
Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by abbeywasc(m): 5:30pm On Jul 29, 2014
ShehuAba:

Please where is the sultan speaking on the issue here again. Stop making hasty conclusions please. I think it is better we read and analyze a report very well before concluding.
does d sultanate council represent sum1 else? if not, they what non-hasty conclusion can u infer from ur indepth reading and proper analysis of d report?

www.dailypost.ng/2014/07/29/ramadan-investigation-shows-new-moon-wasnt-sighted-sultan-declared/

www.premiumtimesng.com/news/165715-exclusive-sultans-palace-admits-moon-wasnt-sighted-before-sokoto-monarch-called-off-ramadan-in-nigeria.html

www.nairaland.com/1833749/sultans-palace-admits-celebrating-id

NB: just saw ur other post. now seen ur stance. Allah knws best
Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by midetinz(m): 8:49pm On Jul 29, 2014
Wt the moon observed in Lagos state and across board southwest and Abuja, the moon sighted @maghrib of monday showed clearly a 3rd day moon which indicated that it was truly sighted on saturday. Dear bro&sis, islam was never based on any telescopic declaration but naturality ordained by almighty Allah. Allah has described himself as "yaf'alu month yasha" meaning He does anything He likes. So let's bother less, Allah ne praised always. In sha Allah.
Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by AlBaqir(m): 9:40pm On Jul 29, 2014
midetinz: Wt the moon observed in Lagos state and across board southwest and Abuja, the moon sighted @maghrib of monday showed clearly a 3rd day moon which indicated that it was truly sighted on saturday.

You don't determine the age of the moon by its size.
This is because if a moon is born, its definitely out of sight for several hours (due to cloud or other
climatic conditions) and in those hours, it keeps on
developing and according to the sunnah, you only
begin your count when it is sighted or count 30days
and then begin a new month.

It is Allah's wish to hide the new crescent under the
cloud. It is to our command to start the count only when the moon is sighted.

midetinz:
Dear bro&sis, islam was never based on any telescopic declaration but naturality ordained by almighty Allah. Allah has described himself as "yaf'alu month yasha" meaning He does anything He likes. So let's bother less, Allah ne praised always. In sha Allah.

So how many times have you studied the length of the shadow of a stick to determine the time for Salat?

I say you depend on modern salat-timing application that gives you accurate awwalul wakht.

When you are far away from home and probably a no man's land where there's no established mosque, I say you depend on Qibla finder to give you an accurate angle of Qibla.

Quran talks a lot about nature, its compositions, orderliness and prederterminations (darkness, light = alternation of day and night; rotation of sun and moon around their axis = counting of months and years; exploration of the heavens etc). All these and more born what is called natural sciences. It is ours to study.

Allah says in surah Ar-Rahman about conquest of space and exploration of earth which only possible some years ago:

"O ye assembly of Jinns and men! If it be ye can pass beyond the zones of the heavens and earth, pass ye! Not without authority shall ye be able to pass! vs 33.

Allah grant knowledge and power by His will making things possible. It is interesting that among the inventors of sciences and technology, we have Muslim Scholars who based their knowledge solely on their comprehension of the holy Quran and sunnah of the prophet (saws).

So dear brother, modern technology is an off-shoot of Quran and Sunnah.

Salam.
Re: The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr by Roozzaay(m): 11:59am On Aug 03, 2014
Oh Allah! Please guide and protect us at this 'End Time' when ordinary man and even respected Scholars are starting to rate Scientists 'Predictions' over Quran and Sunnah cry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Female Virginity In Islam / Jinn Stories / Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.