Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,855 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:18 AM

10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) (39406 Views)

5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians / 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(pics) / Things Foreigners Need To Know Before Travelling To Lagos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Nobody: 6:48am On Jul 28, 2014
Nigerians don't keep to time....1 o'clock is 2 or 3'o clock

9 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by FabulousAutos(m): 6:56am On Jul 28, 2014
neuljosh:

Here are 10 things people abroad find weird about Nigerians:

1. Foreigners think Nigerians are noisy and loud.

True talk. In my last trip, an American born Cameroonian asked me what part of Naija I came from and when I mentioned my South Eastern state to her, she didn't believe me cos she has this wrong misconception stemming from her experience, that all Igbos are very loud and noisy folks.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Nobody: 7:18am On Jul 28, 2014
Interesting piece. But quite a few of the traits listed are peculiar to a particular tribe, or tribes, rather than Nigeria as a whole.
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by SugaryBelle(f): 7:28am On Jul 28, 2014
anago9010:

stories!!! tell your stories to peeps that have not been to alaigbo. I have to flog some knuckleheads not to call their parents by first names in the school I served.
You lie and you know it.You can not flog anybody because they call their parents by their first name because its mostly their choice,it is not an Igbo culture,it is not a sign of disrespect either.I call my dad his first name as a praise name when I want to salute him and he totally enjoys it,infact if i don't do it for a while he wonders if he has done something wrong to me.Please stop spreading these lies.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by overhypedsteve(m): 7:30am On Jul 28, 2014
adconline:
Why does Naija like to manufacture stupidity where is no need for it. U cited what the "MEDIA " told u that Nigerias are one of the most educated folks in the US; and U reject what the same " MEDIA" told u that Naija has one of the highest child illiteracy rates in the world..it's either we keep living in denial or accept it and solve the problem. Facts are facts!
give it a break bro, why do you want to ruin such a nice thread. Nigeria have the world highest child illiteracy ratio? Is that what the op is talking about he is actually talking about the do or die passion we have for degrees and certs, or have you ever wondered why OBJ at his age went back to school, we re talking about two different things here. And i promise you that with recent development new stats may show a reduction in childhood illiteracy in nigeria, thank you.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by anago9010(m): 7:30am On Jul 28, 2014
SugaryBelle: You lie and you know it.You can not flog anybody because they call their parents by their first name because its mostly their choice,it is not an Igbo culture,it is not a sign of disrespect either.I call my dad his first name as a praise name when I want to salute him and he totally enjoys it,infact if i don't do it for a while he wonders if he has done something wrong to me.Please stop spreading these lies.

is madness a trademark in your household. I flog them cos I was registering ss1 new intake students, and I have to enter some biodata information on them. I expect them to call there father Mr something something and not okechukwu straight forward.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by ritux: 7:31am On Jul 28, 2014
Some Europeans think in Nigeria, we don't and can't speak English.

When I was working in the UK, I had some colleagues from some part of Europe. They were surprised my English was very smooth and they could understand me more than the Brits colleagues.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by kurlz(f): 7:34am On Jul 28, 2014
Nigerians answer questions with questions, their youths are dependent until they are in their late 20s or 30s.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by OkikiOluwa1(m): 7:39am On Jul 28, 2014
neuljosh:
For the sake of folks like you, I would have to add #11. Some Nigerian are tribal bigots Please don't come and tribalize this trend.
I m still waiting for the mod of this section to come & ban him

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by amadice(m): 7:52am On Jul 28, 2014
anago9010:

we don't wake our parent from bed with sliding tackles john terry styled.
....is dat what u do to ur pathetic parent, sorry for u...
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Kossyne(m): 7:53am On Jul 28, 2014
kurlz: Nigerians answer questions with questions, their youths are dependent until they are in their late 20s or 30s.

Please Elaborate.
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by anago9010(m): 7:55am On Jul 28, 2014
amadice: ....is dat what u do to ur pathetic parent, sorry for u...

may amadioha dice you on a chop board.
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by amadice(m): 7:57am On Jul 28, 2014
anago9010:

may amadioha dice you on a chop board.
....may sango, orumila, blast u like a bomb blast dis monday morning...anu ohia

4 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by prophetone(m): 8:00am On Jul 28, 2014
Tunguy01: nw tell me 1 tin u espect d op 2 say abt d almajeris ( aboki ) , his only mistake is nt mentioning d ibo culture ( I luv it )

Which septic tank were you scooped out from?
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by TheMasterpiece(m): 8:03am On Jul 28, 2014
neuljosh:
1. Foreigners think Nigerians are noisy and loud.
Like seriously? I don’t believe Nigerians are loud and noisy; we are quiet and reserved people. If we sound loud or speak in high pitched voices, it means we are either having fun or you just stepped on our toes. Nevertheless, we love life and always want to have a good time.
Find in the post below, the most reserved countries & juxtapose them with Nigeria. Nigerians are not anywhere close to being a reserved people.

https://www.nairaland.com/1804015/11-most-introverted-countries-world
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by tomiobj(m): 8:18am On Jul 28, 2014
neuljosh: Most foreigners have misconceptions about Nigerians because they really do not understand how great we are. Being a Nigerian, I was curious about our general eccentricities and I decided to find out things foreigners find odd about us. Some of the answers I got are overwhelming and pretty hilarious.

Here are 10 things people abroad find weird about Nigerians:

1. Foreigners think Nigerians are noisy and loud.[i][/i]
Like seriously? I don’t believe Nigerians are loud and noisy; we are quiet and reserved people. If we sound loud or speak in high pitched voices, it means we are either having fun or you just stepped on our toes. Nevertheless, we love life and always want to have a good time.

I was transferred lo England. Via virgin Atlantic. As soon as the plane took off the whole plane started clapping like a cele church revival which is also anoda example of aw noisy Nigerians are. Nt cele particular bur how churches use microphones. In other countries the surroundings r quiet but in nigeria. Different kind of noises eg baby crying ,generators,church nd mosque programs etc. Nigerians rent quiet

3 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Infoay: 8:20am On Jul 28, 2014
Wow! Nigerians are Nigerians. To God be the glory.... Amen
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by tomiobj(m): 8:22am On Jul 28, 2014
Omexonomy: Those oyinbo people are always seeing nigerian as quarrelsome people. We quarrel over nothing es in nairaland.
I remember when i was dating mukina2 up to when she turns 60years we are found of quarrelling always in the mid of oyinbo people.
Nigerians can quarrel lyk anytn. Dint u see d sril air video where they were stuck with no ac nd how they wer shouting. Another example if there is a road accident and a person is injured. Instead of dem to call the emergency services. More people join to look why the people who wer involved argue whose fault it is. Tell me m wrong

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by fuckluv(f): 8:23am On Jul 28, 2014
Goddex:

Hahahahahaha . . . . bros I feel you. The OP spoilt the show when he started mentioning
1) Being loudmouthed and noisy
2) Red soup
3) Prostrating to greet elders
4) etc
Your response here:
FabulousAutos:
True talk. In my last trip, an American born Cameroonian asked me what part of Naija I came from and when I mentioned my South Eastern state to her, she didn't believe me cos she has this wrong misconception stemming from her experience, that all Igbos are very loud and noisy folks.
Most igbos on NL suffer from inferiority complex. Op is even igbo and they are already fighting him thinking he's a Yoruba. Confused beings. Must you cry about everything? Cry Cry babies undecided

6 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by generalissimo(m): 8:27am On Jul 28, 2014
Goddex:

Hahahahahaha . . . . bros I feel you. The OP spoilt the show when he started mentioning
1) Being loudmouthed and noisy
2) Red soup
3) Prostrating to greet elders
4) etc
Chai!!! Na wa for some people ooo. The Op said, 'how foreigners see naija', and not 'how naija see themselves'. Are these things mentioned still not practised in the territory of naija. We are too tribalistic that we often forget that most foreigners dont even see what we claim to be differences btw our tribes to be so conspicuous. I doubt if u knew that HAUSA is the recognised and picked language for naija by foreigners just for communication. I guess u wont start to shout URHOBO language is also here ooo...LOLX

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by tomiobj(m): 8:28am On Jul 28, 2014
neuljosh: 10. Being a Nigerian is odd
Foreigners believe that everything about Nigerians is odd.

Hehe! We are odd and we like it that way! Makes me wonder why we have lots of expats in Nigeria. Some who have visited Nigeria want to visit again and again, hoping that one day, maybe they might become like us. Ko joor!

Do you find anything odd about Nigerians?
. Ermmmmm. If what you are sayn is right. Then people must be very foolish. Because why will a person that has electricity in hs country nw wants to come to a country that has no electricity. Many major countries has warned their citizens to avoid nigeria because it's government can't protect its own people. Boko haram issues. Robbery kidnapping. Nd soka's

Me that m even living in the nigeria. I want to leave

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by redcliff: 8:31am On Jul 28, 2014
ROCKJ1: Interesting piece Op.

Mumu.. have you even allowed him finish before commenting?. Always trying to be ftc and end up being meaningless
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by 360command: 8:39am On Jul 28, 2014
A foreigner once told me 'you Nigerians love greeting, you could be walking on opposite direction and still be greeting at each other for a very long time'

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by begwong: 8:42am On Jul 28, 2014
Reasons why our south african babes can kill themselves for naija guys.lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Commercial Bus Driver Crushes Motorist To Death In Meiran, Lagos (Photos) / Pictures From My Trip To Singapore / "Kaduna Airport Toilets Are The Cleanest" - Kadaria Ahmed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.