Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,525 members, 7,808,907 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today (42028 Views)

Nigeria: Only Country Her President Travels While His People suffer - Trump / The Only Country In The World Where Muslims Want To Live With Xtians By Force. / President Goodluck Jonathan's Eid-el-fitri Message To Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by LMAyedun(m): 5:47pm On Jul 27, 2014
Nigeria is the only country in the world whose Muslim faithful are celebrating Eid-El-Fitri (the end of Ramadan festivities) today following the controversial announcement by the Sultan of Sokoto, Abubakar Sa’ad, on Saturday night that the new moon of Shawwal was sighted in some cities across the country, PREMIUM TIMES can report today.

This newspaper gathered, through extensive investigations and interviews with leading Islamic clerics, that the Ramadan fast in other parts of the world would only end today (Sunday), with the Eid-El-Fitri celebrations holding on Monday.

The Chairman of the Nigerian National Moonsighting Committee, Hafiz Wali, as well as a member, Sheikh  Habeebullahi Al-Ilory, told PREMIUM TIMES that in no other country was the sighting of the moon reported by anyone.

“It will interest you to know that Nigeria is the only country celebrating Eid-El-Fitri today,” Dr. Wali said. “That is because it is the only country where people claimed they sighted the moon.”

Dr. Wali said his committee advised the Sultan that it was impossible for the moon to be sighted on Saturday but that the Sokoto monarch came under pressure from people who claimed they sighted the moon.

“By the estimation and calculation of our committee, the moon could not have been sighted and we did not sight it,” the moon sighting committee chairman said.

“We gave a report that the moon was not sighted but the Sultan received a lot of messages from people who said they sighted the moon. The Sultan could not tell them they lied. He made his announcement which is the right thing to do.”

Mr. Wali said he and his committee would however continue the search for the new moon on Sunday night and that the Sultan and other NSCIA officials would be briefed on the outcome of the exercise.

In his own comment, another member of the moon-sighting committee, Sheikh Al-Ilory, the Rector of the Marcaz Institute of Arabic and Islamic Studies, said the Sultan’s announcement misled Muslim faithful in the country and made Nigeria the only country on earth observing the Eid celebration on Sunday.

“The moon was not sighted anywhere in the world,” Sheikh Al-Ilory said. “As at 11:00 p.m. on Saturday, our committee advised that the moon was not sighted but the Sultan still went ahead to announce the end of Ramadan. I’m just wondering why we have to do this to Islam. Is our own moon different from the rest of the world?

“As far as we are concerned, tomorrow (Monday) is Eid-El-Fitri.”

Sultan Sa’ad, who is also the President of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs, NSCIA, had around midnight on Saturday announced the sighting of the new moon and therefore the end of Ramadan.

“The new month of Shawwal was sighted in different places within Nigeria and therefore tomorrow (Sunday) is the first day of Shawwal equivalent to 27 July 2014,” the Sultan said in an announcement aired on the Nigerian Television Authority [NTA].

The Sultan made the announcement despite receiving the report of Mr. Wali’s Moon-Sighting Committee that the moon was not sighted.

But when contacted after the Sultan’s announcement, the Secretary-General of the organisation, Is-haq Oloyede, a professor of Islamic Studies, said he was not aware that the moon had been sighted.

“I spoke to the Sultan about four times tonight and he did not tell me that the moon has been sighted,” Mr. Oloyede told PREMIUM TIMES. “In any case, any such claim is ridiculous and unscientific. It cannot be right.

“The National Moonsighting Committee has not informed us of any credible sighting of the moon. Rather, they said the moon wasn’t sighted. The new moon was only born at 11:45 P.M. tonight (Saturday) and it will take several hours for it to be sighted.

Is our own sky different? Is our own moon manufactured in Nigeria?”

http://m.premiumtimesng.com/news/165660-moonsighting-controversy-nigeria-only-country-in-the-world-celebrating-eid-el-fitri-today.html

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by fijiano202(m): 5:53pm On Jul 27, 2014
Chai boko haram don upload new moon

193 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by Dreal1247: 5:53pm On Jul 27, 2014
A welcomed development

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by yunglykmine(m): 6:08pm On Jul 27, 2014
Laughable! Now i see why FG usually give enough public Holz. Confusion e'rywhere.

60 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by macpetrus(m): 6:15pm On Jul 27, 2014
Hmmmmmm...

30 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by rozayx5(m): 6:26pm On Jul 27, 2014
undecided
Why bombs are always discovered and not exploding near mosques beats me

*continues US tour

83 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by LMAyedun(m): 6:26pm On Jul 27, 2014
usba:
Must you show your debauched life all the time?
Why not just look/read and move on with your life?

30 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jul 27, 2014
grin grin

What a funny country.
Were did the moon come from?

20 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by iceberylin(m): 6:27pm On Jul 27, 2014
who cares

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by datguru: 6:28pm On Jul 27, 2014
Wetin concern me ? If they like let them celebrate next year or never celebrate at all . Its none of my business .

#Onlybigotswillquoteme

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by Chibuke56: 6:28pm On Jul 27, 2014
Passing by
whu send dem sef
Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by waloma(m): 6:28pm On Jul 27, 2014
[color=#990000][/color]Lols! What has this got to do for me? #islam haram undecidedLols! What has this got to do for me? #islam haram

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jul 27, 2014
Interesting! hmmm...

Guess we have a different moon orbiting the part of Earth Nigeria is located undecided

Hopefully, the Sultan "The moon sighting Committee" can explain better grin...The celebration might as well be shifted to Wednesday, am so enjoying the pub holidays grin

20 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by allaboutobed(m): 6:29pm On Jul 27, 2014
rili.?
Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 27, 2014
Confused religion!

113 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by Pstsmith(m): 6:29pm On Jul 27, 2014
okay
Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 27, 2014
;DLol...moon sighting committee

14 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by wellmax(m): 6:30pm On Jul 27, 2014
Moon sighting commitee confusion grin grin grin

14 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by DocAdray(f): 6:30pm On Jul 27, 2014
Hmmm...
Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by Cutesexy1(f): 6:30pm On Jul 27, 2014
seen
Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jul 27, 2014
fijiano202: Chai boko haram don upload new moon

Bro you killed it grin

31 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by ijbeauty(f): 6:30pm On Jul 27, 2014
Made in china moon....

40 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by superior1: 6:30pm On Jul 27, 2014
The religion of astrology

64 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by IYANGBALI: 6:30pm On Jul 27, 2014
Na for only Nigeria moon waka come haahahahahahahahaha. Abubakar abeg bring my goro sallah,dat one no concern me

25 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by doyouknowjohnny: 6:31pm On Jul 27, 2014
If only you guys can smoke this ish this sultan and I are taking right now, you would see what he & I saw on Saturday..
72 virgins dancing on moon..its damn crazy I tell ya!!!

18 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jul 27, 2014
warreva
Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by teeboi73: 6:31pm On Jul 27, 2014
They can't hold it any longer

13 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by LMAyedun(m): 6:32pm On Jul 27, 2014
Cybermugu1: Confused religion!
Pls, the report wasn't meant to disrespect the religion. Thanks.

24 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by olenime(m): 6:32pm On Jul 27, 2014
A-llelu-yah

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by M4gunners: 6:32pm On Jul 27, 2014
Ok oh nigeria don make history be that.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Only Country In The World Celebrating Eid-el-fitri Today by MKSON(m): 6:32pm On Jul 27, 2014
Yea we have a different sky and yes we maufacture our own moon at yaba left. This is Nigeria

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Chief Of Army Staff Visits Troops In The Frontline / Aisha Yar'adua, Musa Yar'adua's Daughter Stuns In New Photos / Police Desert Streets In South East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.