Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,026 members, 7,807,033 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:46 AM

Does God Speak To You? How? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does God Speak To You? How? (26307 Views)

How To Hear God Speak / Did God Speak To Me? Question For All. / Does God Speak To Humans? And How? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by DrummaBoy(m): 7:35pm On Jul 28, 2014
Kay17: @drummerboy

Don't you think it is actually your thoughts on the Bible NoT God's?! This is how you people make errors

I don't get you. pls be specific.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Tgirl4real(f): 8:58pm On Jul 28, 2014
DrummaBoy: T-Mama

Permit me to add a twist to this discuss. Some people lay a great deal to the conscience as the seat of God's voice to man. I disagree. The conscience of men is the measure of right and wrong for that man. Thats all. Therefore a Muslim who doesn't pray 5 times a day or fast at Ramadan, an animist that eats food meant for sacrifice, a Hindu that eats cow, and a Christian taught to tithe but eats his in one month, will all find their conscience striking them. They had programmed their mindset with a standard of good and bad and will be conscience stricken if they break any of these.

This is the reason the bible calls us to renew our minds, Romans 12:2 and to shed off dead works. When we are properly taught God's word, our minds begin to learn true right and wrong, Hebrew 6. And maturity will be doing the right things all the time. When God speaks he transcends mere conscience. I am convinced that God speaks through our spirit in contact with his Spirit. The conscience is however is on the seat of the soul.

I listen to some ministers say people should heed altar calls bc they are conscience stricken. This is wrong. Its the reason such people return to sin again when the effect of conscience has worn off. If a foreigner who has never heard the gospel was to come and hear such a minister, his conscience will never move him. But if God speaks to his spirit he will be converted. Conversion is God speaking to a man spirit and that man making a decision in conjunction with his soul.

Well, that's my position. I would like to hear other people thinking on whether conscience is God speaking to men.

You are right to a large extent, but we also can not rule out that the conscience is suppose to serve as the moral seat of man. You brought the bal with Rom 12. Bible says some have snared their consciences with hot iron. If you renew your mind with God's word, your conscience will serve as a godly guide to you. Most people hear their conscience when they claim they hear God.

But it is not what saves us. The Holy Spirit is responsible for the work on regeneration in the heart of a man. He quickens you and makes you alive, changes your heart to always wanna please God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by DrummaBoy(m): 9:04pm On Jul 28, 2014
Tgirl4real:

You are right to a large extent, but we also can not rule out that the conscience is suppose to serve as the moral seat of man. You brought the bal with Rom 12. Bible says some have snared their consciences with hot iron. If you renew your mind with God's word, your conscience will serve as a godly guide to you. Most people hear their conscience when they claim they hear God.

But it is not what saves us. The Holy Spirit is responsible for the work on regeneration in the heart of a man. He quickens you and makes you alive, changes your heart to always wanna please God.

Absolutely.

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Tgirl4real(f): 9:05pm On Jul 28, 2014
ayoku777:

I agree with you on that, the Holy Spirit bears witness with our spirit, NOT our conscience.

1John 3v20 -For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our hearts, and knoweth all things.

I think the word "heart" there could have been translated "conscience" - and some bible versions really did put it as that.

That scripture shows that our conscience can condemn us over something God is not condemning us about -if we've been made to believe the thing is wrong.

But God is greater than our conscience and knows all things, and if we seek Him, He will teach us to know right from wrong according to His word and His Spirit NOT our conscience.

You are right. The word of God never fails.

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Tgirl4real(f): 9:10pm On Jul 28, 2014
Olusanya333: God Speaks in the following ways
-The Word
-Dreams
-Vision & revelation
-Still small voice
-Loud Audible voice(dat sound like thunder,its always terrible)
The Truth is u stop listening to wot man says den rely on God.

Aside The Word which I believe is scriptures, how do you prove that the other experiences are from God?

Have you had God speak to you through these media before?
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Tgirl4real(f): 9:12pm On Jul 28, 2014
malvisguy212: you do not believe me, am not worried, one thin I know is that I know what happen to me, nobody believe me only my mother, she know's whenever am tellin the truth.i'v even save someone life that uptill today he dint know what I did for him, so am use to this.

If you are a Christian, all your experiences should subject to God's word.

2 Likes

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by malvisguy212: 9:17pm On Jul 28, 2014
Tgirl4real:

If you are a Christian, all your experiences should subject to God's word.
am a christian.

Let me ask you, how is christ in your life? Have you ever had an encounter with God? Or you fill, God is directing you? Thank you
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Kay17: 9:35pm On Jul 28, 2014
DrummaBoy:

I don't get you. pls be specific.

There is no reason to be that the thoughts that arise in your mind you read the Bible is God's voice, it is as well your thoughts. And I believe can be root of many errors.

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Olusanya333(m): 9:41pm On Jul 28, 2014
Tgirl4real:

Aside The Word which I believe is scriptures, how do you prove that the other experiences are from God?

Have you had God speak to you through these media before?
Yea hv experienced dreams,visions nd revelation. Unless u get baptized with that Holy Spirit the Loud Audible voice can't be heard
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by DrummaBoy(m): 10:01pm On Jul 28, 2014
Kay17:

There is no reason to be that the thoughts that arise in your mind you read the Bible is God's voice, it is as well your thoughts. And I believe can be root of many errors.

I got what you mean.

Remember the analogy of my child? How easily he can discern my voice now? That's the same thing that happens when reading the bible. When God speaks, you will hear.

But first things first. Jesus said my sheep hear my voice. The question I need ask you is: are you a sheep of Christ? If you are not, you should be.

Then and only then, when he speaks, will you hear.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by torchwave: 10:15pm On Jul 28, 2014
Olusanya333: Yea hv experienced dreams,visions nd revelation. Unless u get baptized with that Holy Spirit the Loud Audible voice can't be heard
Totally disagree with you. God can choose to speak to anybody irrespective of his or her beliefs. God spoke to Saul on his way to Damascus, at the baptism of Jesus in the Jordan river, people heard the audible voice of God that spoke from heaven.

2 Likes

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Olusanya333(m): 10:38pm On Jul 28, 2014
torchwave: Totally disagree with you. God can choose to speak to anybody irrespective of his or her beliefs. God spoke to Saul on his way to Damascus, at the baptism of Jesus in the Jordan river, people heard the audible voice of God that spoke from heaven.
God speak to a sinner only when he want to Save him nd its rear.I'm not saying u should agree with me But d Truth remains the TRUTH

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by shdemidemi(m): 5:23am On Jul 29, 2014
Olusanya333: Yea hv experienced dreams,visions nd revelation. Unless u get baptized with that Holy Spirit the Loud Audible voice can't be heard

torchwave: Totally disagree with you. God can choose to speak to anybody irrespective of his or her beliefs. God spoke to Saul on his way to Damascus, at the baptism of Jesus in the Jordan river, people heard the audible voice of God that spoke from heaven.

Olusanya333: God speak to a sinner only when he want to Save him nd its rear.I'm not saying u should agree with me But d Truth remains the TRUTH
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Kay17: 8:07am On Jul 29, 2014
DrummaBoy:

I got what you mean.

Remember the analogy of my child? How easily he can discern my voice now? That's the same thing that happens when reading the bible. When God speaks, you will hear.

But first things first. Jesus said my sheep hear my voice. The question I need ask you is: are you a sheep of Christ? If you are not, you should be.

Then and only then, when he speaks, will you hear.

Your thoughts are actually your words, shaped by your intellect. Besides in Biblical times, God was said to have spoken to his people - Moses, Abraham, Jesus - in a clear voice with no doubts. There is still justifiable doubt in believing your thoughts are God's or the Devil's

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by thegoodone2(m): 8:07am On Jul 29, 2014
Tgirl4real:

Can you ans following the pattern provided in the OP?

The voices you hear, can anyone testify to have heard the voice as well?
forget about religion. I was a muslim when i started hear it.Its only u that will hear it when God is talk to u. unless if He want to talk to many people at the same time. we are talking about gift.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Tgirl4real(f): 10:11am On Jul 29, 2014
thegoodone2: forget about religion. I was a muslim when i started hear it.Its only u that will hear it when God is talk to u. unless if He want to talk to many people at the same time. we are talking about gift.

That means your account don't qualify.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by pappyrose(f): 12:03pm On Jul 29, 2014
Well.....for me I believe reading the bible alone does not guarantee hearing from God because you can read out of context and use it to sooth yourself. A portion of the scriptures says the letter kills, its the Spirit of God that gives live. So many people have read the bible and gotten themselves more confused.
The Holy Spirit is the believer's link to God, 1 John 2: 26-27 " I've written to warn you about those who are trying to deceive you. But they're no match for what is embedded deeply within you—Christ's anointing, no less! You don't need any of their so-called teaching. Christ's anointing teaches you the truth on everything you need to know about yourself and him, uncontaminated by a single lie. Live deeply in what you were taught."

This anointing is referring to the presence of the Holy Spirit. Jesus told the disciples that the Holy Spirit will teach them all things.

We may read the bible and still not be able to hear God if we don't ve a personal communion with the Holy Spirit who explains the scriptures to us.
There is no magic or shortcut to hearing from God except we pray for the infilling of the Holy Spirit and also pray that our ears be opened to the voice of God. We must also spend time in fellowship with the Holy Spirit.
Each time God speaks to me or lays a burden in my heart, He always confirm it with His word and gives me peace. When this happens, then I'm convinced that God has spoken to me.
Sometimes when I'm confused about something I feel I ve heard God about, I take a lot of time to seek God in prayers for Him to give me another confirmation.

10 Likes

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Tgirl4real(f): 12:58pm On Jul 29, 2014
Thanks Pappyrose.

Could u pls ans following the format provided?

Thanks.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by alexleo(m): 1:01pm On Jul 29, 2014
Kay17:

Your thoughts are actually your words, shaped by your intellect. Besides in Biblical times, God was said to have spoken to his people - Moses, Abraham, Jesus - in a clear voice with no doubts. There is still justifiable doubt in believing your thoughts are God's or the Devil's

I don't know why I like you even though you are an atheist. May be because you discuss God with some level of respect in your words even though you don't believe he exists. May be that's why. grin. Are you Huxley? He is another atheist that speaks this way too.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Mintayo(m): 2:57pm On Jul 29, 2014
Olusanya333: God Speaks in the following ways
-The Word
-Dreams
-Vision & revelation
-Still small voice
-Loud Audible voice(dat sound like thunder,its always terrible)
The Truth is u stop listening to wot man says den rely on God.
In addition,we have:
-inward witness.
-inward voice
-knowings
-open vision/revelation/inward vision/trance.
-prophecy.
Whichever way God speaks to you,note that the Holy Spirit is the chief supervisor. Also God will not say anything to you contrary to His Word,whatever you heard that does not align with His Word is not from God. Again, we are not supposed to 'seek' a particular way,the Holy Spirit decides on the best way to speak to us depending on how sensitive we are to Him!
-voice of the Holy Spirit
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by greatnma: 6:58pm On Jul 29, 2014
yeah OUR GOD can speak to a sanctified mind who is ready to do His will.

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Infinate: 8:10pm On Jul 29, 2014
Elo every one am new here, and i would like 2 share with you my experience on what it mean 2 fel into the hands of a livining God. My story gose this way, on........
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jul 29, 2014
pappyrose: Well.....for me I believe reading the bible alone does not guarantee hearing from God because you can read out of context and use it to sooth yourself. A portion of the scriptures says the letter kills, its the Spirit of God that gives live. So many people have read the bible and gotten themselves more confused.
The Holy Spirit is the believer's link to God, 1 John 2: 26-27 " I've written to warn you about those who are trying to deceive you. But they're no match for what is embedded deeply within you—Christ's anointing, no less! You don't need any of their so-called teaching. Christ's anointing teaches you the truth on everything you need to know about yourself and him, uncontaminated by a single lie. Live deeply in what you were taught."

This anointing is referring to the presence of the Holy Spirit. Jesus told the disciples that the Holy Spirit will teach them all things.

We may read the bible and still not be able to hear God if we don't ve a personal communion with the Holy Spirit who explains the scriptures to us.
There is no magic or shortcut to hearing from God except we pray for the infilling of the Holy Spirit and also pray that our ears be opened to the voice of God. We must also spend time in fellowship with the Holy Spirit.
Each time God speaks to me or lays a burden in my heart, He always confirm it with His word and gives me peace. When this happens, then I'm convinced that God has spoken to me.
Sometimes when I'm confused about something I feel I ve heard God about, I take a lot of time to seek God in prayers for Him to give me another confirmation.

Perfectly said.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 29, 2014
Tgirl4real:

That means your account don't qualify.

Thanks.

wow !

so God talks only to Christians ?

SMH.

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by shdemidemi(m): 9:56pm On Jul 29, 2014
Yet to find anyone say they heard an audible voice from God like Paul did on his way to Damascus....

Where are all the 'God talks to me Christians'? grin

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Tgirl4real(f): 10:11pm On Jul 29, 2014
frosbel:

wow !

so God talks only to Christians ?

SMH.

Did u read the OP. @ all Frosbel or you just picked on my post?

If you had read the OP, you would know that I asked my queStion within the context of believers who claimed to have heard God.

3 Likes

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Tgirl4real(f): 10:20pm On Jul 29, 2014

How do you prove that these experiences re from God?
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by twosquare(m): 10:22pm On Jul 29, 2014
Tgirl4real:

Yea. It sounded very familiar. cheesy
GOD spake to me one afternoon i was washing dishes....like a voice speaking to my inner man&ears....it was so distinct and i was like,what just happened...just like any other voice,wants me to carry out an assignment.....i wanted to doubt but i couldn't,coz it was like a burning fire.
Evening came....praying alone and He spake via my mouth,the atmosphere was electrifying.....GOD speaking to folks is not a strange thing....

2 Likes

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by shdemidemi(m): 4:31am On Jul 30, 2014
May we know what He told you?
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by shdemidemi(m): 6:16am On Jul 30, 2014
God has a course, His calling is to achieve His course. Christians have personal agendas to improve self, coupled with God's course. The Christian walk demand that we abandon personal agendas for God's course, easier said than done, right? Most Christians, almost all Christians have invented a way of dealing with the problem. We tend to make Gods course a wrapping to disguise our personal agenda, consciously or otherwise.

As Christians, we have a biological life that reacts to medicine and any soothing the world can offer is connected to this. We also have a soul life connected to God, this life reacts only to God's word.

False teachers make a living by telling us how God is so concerned in fixing our biological life.

My concussion, anyone who comes out to teach or represent God or says He was sent by God or told by God to give messages that is fixed on issues that affect the biological part of life is false.

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Olusanya333(m): 6:56am On Jul 30, 2014
Tgirl4real:

How do you prove that these experiences re from God?
Because the sheep knows the voice of the Sheperd.

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Olusanya333(m): 6:58am On Jul 30, 2014
Mintayo:
In addition,we have:
-inward witness.
-inward voice
-knowings
-open vision/revelation/inward vision/trance.
-prophecy.
Whichever way God speaks to you,note that the Holy Spirit is the chief supervisor. Also God will not say anything to you contrary to His Word,whatever you heard that does not align with His Word is not from God. Again, we are not supposed to 'seek' a particular way,the Holy Spirit decides on the best way to speak to us depending on how sensitive we are to Him!
-voice of the Holy Spirit
you are right sir. God speak always its left for us to listen always

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

RCCG Sells A Bag Of Rice At N9k To Their Members In Abuja / Apostle Suleman: 'Don't Come To Church With Phones, IPad To Read Bible' / White Lady Married To Feb Idahosa Shares Her Love Story (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.