Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,854 members, 7,802,737 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:19 PM

Does God Speak To You? How? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does God Speak To You? How? (26298 Views)

How To Hear God Speak / Did God Speak To Me? Question For All. / Does God Speak To Humans? And How? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by shdemidemi(m): 11:43pm On Jul 31, 2014
Kay17:

That's not an instructive passage rather a narrative. Just like picking "and King Jehu worshipped idols" it does not mean Christians should worship rather explaining Jehu's story. It is different from an instructive bible verse such as "thou shall not kill".

All it's saying is one need to be taught... You might be reading and looking and not see, if you don't understand the setting.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Nobody: 12:13am On Aug 01, 2014
Mintayo:
The fact that some men are using "God said or spoke to me" to defraud people or for their own gain(detriment actually) does not mean God cannot or does not speak to His own. God has been speakin(vis His Word and His Spirit) and He is still speaking today!
The fact that some people cannot or do not hear God spoke to them does not negate that fact!

Hmm...shdemidemi beat me to it.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by malvisguy212: 12:20am On Aug 01, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

Hmm...shdemidemi beat me to it.
do you believe God can speak to us?
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Nobody: 12:41am On Aug 01, 2014
malvisguy212: do you believe God can speak to us?

Tbh, no. But I'm open to discussion.

The sentence "God spoke to me" tends to conjure an involuntary eye roll at best. It doesn't help that people who claim as much tend to have the most ridiculous, self-serving messages delivered to them by the "God" in question.

2 Likes

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by malvisguy212: 12:52am On Aug 01, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

Tbh, no. But I'm open to discussion.

The sentence "God spoke to me" tends to conjure an involuntary eye roll. It doesn't help that people who say as much tend to have the most ridiculous, self-serving messages delivered to them by the God in question.
in other word, the God that speak to abraham, isaac ,jacob and the rest prophet cannot speak to us?lady , you are wrong, God speak to us, anybody can claim God speak to them but thy Lord know those that are his own.

I know what happen to me, and I know what I experience, I am a christian, I will not lie in the name of my God.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Nobody: 12:55am On Aug 01, 2014
malvisguy212: in other word, the God that speak to abraham, isaac ,jacob and the rest prophet cannot speak to us?lady , you are wrong, God speak to us, anybody can claim God speak to them but thy Lord know those that are his own.

I know what happen to me, and I know what I experience, I am a christian, I will not lie in the name of my God.

I respect your belief, but I don't believe you. No offense.

2 Likes

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by malvisguy212: 12:58am On Aug 01, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

I respect your belief, but I don't believe you. No offense.
it alright, thank you for your time.

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Nobody: 1:17am On Aug 01, 2014
malvisguy212: it alright, thank you for your time.

Not a problem smiley
If you explain the experience, that works too.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by MightySparrow: 4:04am On Aug 01, 2014
I contributed in the the quoted thread, my advice is look for the books recommended and read them.

Simple way to hear God:

FIND A QUALITY TIME TO WORSHIP GOD, DO NOT MIND THE TIME, KEEP A CALM MIND,
BETTER STILL, SPEAK IN TONGUES FOR A CONSIDERABLE LONG TIME. FOR A START. TIME TO GET CONNECTED WILL SHORTEN BY EXPERIENCE.

'Ye shall have a song, as in the night when a holy solemnity is kept; and gladness of heart, as when one goeth with a pipe to come into the mountain of the Lord, to the mighty One of Israel.
And the Lord shall cause his glorious voice to be heard, and shall shew the lighting down of his arm.........'
Isaiah 30: 29 - 30
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by akinladejo: 4:57am On Aug 01, 2014
DrummaBoy: T-Mama, pls forgive my pasting this without much scriptural quotes. My bible softwares packed up and I am yet to download a new one.

When I became a Christian, I was continually intrigued by the "God told me" talk all around me. I begged God to speak to me too but... no show. One day I read a book by one practically unknown Anglican priest and after he explained how God speaks, I realized I had been hearing him all along and I didn't know it!

Hebrew1:1-2 - God had spoken to us through the prophets but today he speaks through his Son (paraphrase).

God speaks primarily through the bible. Christians are encouraged to read the bible and read it voraciously, as you do the capacity to hear God increases. Example: I marvel at how my baby can tell my voice or his mother's in a crowded room even after being away from him all day. He had spent time with us and could discern our voice.

Now practically. When the Christian knows the bible and has learnt to commit his ways to God, he begins to learn to make decision from a sanctified mind set, that is God leading him. Example: there is the option to begin an office romance or to work on an ailing marriage. Of course God is speaking to him to work on his marriage. Then comes the very rare one: the believer in prayer, in meditation, in reading the Word or by observing life events, a thought drops in his heart and he is certain it was not from his mind. He ruminates on the thought. He finds it deeply scriptural. He takes steps in that direction, it yields divine results: he realizes God had spoken to him. Example: God told Jeremiah to buy land in Israel that had gone to captivity, saying his nephew will come to offer it to him. When it happened, Jeremiah said now he knew God has spoken to him (Jeremiah 32:8b).

Hearing God is mostly By faith. The Christian will just believe that this is God speaking. Unfortunately, sometimes we make mistakes and that is why we should never say "God told me" it rather safe to say "I felt an impression". This is necessary so that what we claim to hear from God is not equated to the bible. What we hear is fallible. The bible is infallible. Whatever any man said God said, the bible has higher authority than it.

Recently a brother taught us the meaning of the words RHEMA and LOGOS. Many consider rhema as God speaking to us through scripture in the now. while logos is just the letter. In that study, we discovered this is untrue. Rhema and logos are synonyms and are used interchangeably for "word" in Greek (link to my thread in this: discovered its lost to Seun data loss). The implication is that God is not saying anything outside what he has said in the bible. When Christians read scripture and develop sanctified mindsets, the decisions they make in life will be by Gods leading. It will be as if God is speaking to them literally, everyday.

Finally, there is a great abuse of this concept of God speaking especially in charismatic circle. Even though God speaks, God is not talkative. So all this "God said..."; "Daddy said..." things are mostly errors and crafted to deceive the simple mind.

Get into the bible and hear God speak loudly to you. A brother will say to us "if you want to hear God speak, read the bible. If you want to hear God speak loudly to you, read the bible out loud"!

God bless you all.

Holy spirit of the living God speaks through u.Gbam!!!
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Infomizer(m): 5:32am On Aug 01, 2014
malvisguy212: God speak, on many occasion,the bible say all tribe shall here is voice.

I'v seen a face apper in the sky as describe in the book of revelation, it is jesus christ, he said to me , you are God son, not one time but TWO TIMES.
Pareidolia cum schizophrenia...#methinks
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Heamah: 5:40am On Aug 01, 2014
thegoodone2: it started when i was 12 years.then i can say am d boy who see tomr.when i was 18 years i started hear voice. now my wife said i belong to ........or may be my father has give me something when i was small. if i tell her anything it always come to pass. some time it come through dream and voice.

Be careful when you link the voice of God to a voice you hear. You may truly be hearing the voice of God but I'll advice you to see a senior pastor or consult a christian doctor to be absolutely of what you are hearing. A lot of people who hear a voice tend to jump into jubilation claiming they can hear God's voice whereas they are on the verge to ruin their lives? Have you heard of auditory hallucinations before. It is one of the symptoms of schizophrenia or other neuropsychiatric disorders. They hear clear voices of man/men speaking to them. Some have visual hallucinations. It could manifest in different forms. I have seen many cases of such in the past. Some people are aware from outset that the hallucinations are symptoms of some conditions whereas many don't accept the fact that something is wrong.

My advice, don't just jump into jubilation for hearing a voice claiming it is God's voice. You might need a guidance from a spiritual father

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by gidjah(m): 5:41am On Aug 01, 2014
HE DOES O!,by d voice of d spirit of course.i have bin trained to get that,to him alone a all d glory
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Heamah: 5:53am On Aug 01, 2014
twosquare: GOD spake to me one afternoon i was washing dishes....like a voice speaking to my inner man&ears....it was so distinct and i was like,what just happened...just like any other voice,wants me to carry out an assignment.....i wanted to doubt but i couldn't,coz it was like a burning fire.
Evening came....praying alone and He spake via my mouth,the atmosphere was electrifying.....GOD speaking to folks is not a strange thing....

What was the assignment the voice asked you to carry out? Could you share?
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by James27: 5:57am On Aug 01, 2014
The days of God speaking to u are numbered.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by PastorOluT(m): 5:57am On Aug 01, 2014
DrummaBoy: T-Mama

Permit me to add a twist to this discuss. Some people lay a great deal to the conscience as the seat of God's voice to man. I disagree. The conscience of men is the measure of right and wrong for that man. Thats all. Therefore a Muslim who doesn't pray 5 times a day or fast at Ramadan, an animist that eats food meant for sacrifice, a Hindu that eats cow, and a Christian taught to tithe but eats his in one month, will all find their conscience striking them. They had programmed their mindset with a standard of good and bad and will be conscience stricken if they break any of these.

This is the reason the bible calls us to renew our minds, Romans 12:2 and to shed off dead works. When we are properly taught God's word, our minds begin to learn true right and wrong, Hebrew 6. And maturity will be doing the right things all the time. When God speaks he transcends mere conscience. I am convinced that God speaks through our spirit in contact with his Spirit. The conscience is however is on the seat of the soul.

I listen to some ministers say people should heed altar calls bc they are conscience stricken. This is wrong. Its the reason such people return to sin again when the effect of conscience has worn off. If a foreigner who has never heard the gospel was to come and hear such a minister, his conscience will never move him. But if God speaks to his spirit he will be converted. Conversion is God speaking to a man spirit and that man making a decision in conjunction with his soul.

Well, that's my position. I would like to hear other people thinking on whether conscience is God speaking to men.

Very true many miscontrue conscience with God speaking to them, though perfectly agree that God can/might speak to a sanctified mind/man through his conscience bt not always for its just one of the numerous avenues.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by turnamaze: 6:50am On Aug 01, 2014
thegoodone2: dont miss understand me. i was a musilm then.its a gift. if i tell u what God told me about GEj u will not belive me
. Plwase what did he say about gej?
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Michyeddy(f): 6:55am On Aug 01, 2014
And An athiest or muslim will open this thread and see confusion everywhere..if ur looking for clarity, your bible is the closest you can get just before reading, ask the holy spirit to give you understanding. And to add my opinion..God still speaks to us tru his word, tru the mouth of his prophets,and directly to us..i am a witness
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Nobody: 7:13am On Aug 01, 2014
God is always speaking but we seldom hear because we have not developed ourselves to understand when He speaks. The case of Samuel is an example.
The Bible is a general book of instruction, it cannot guide for specific personal issues of life like career, where to settle, when to make an investment, what to invest on etc. It is book of hard facts in case you are in doubt about any voice you hear.
God speaks to me through dreams mainly.

2 Likes

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Nobody: 7:57am On Aug 01, 2014
Tgirl4real:

I have even had a more distinct encounter, but now I know better than to claim it is from God.

BTW, demons also speak through the mouth of people and it is always electrifying. cheesy

grin grin grin

What distinct encounter did you have and how did you come to know better?
#Justcurious

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by daillest: 8:02am On Aug 01, 2014
q
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by malvisguy212: 8:07am On Aug 01, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

Not a problem smiley
If you explain the experience, that works too.
I will just give you the detail.I don't go to church when all this happen to me, I don't even care about heaven or hell when I had this dream, the first one was in a desert, some people want to convert me to there religion when the face apper on the sky and save me.
The second happen when my friend say somtin bad about the same religion, they wanted to kill him, but when I pleaded for him, they hold me tight, sharpen there knife and wanted to kill me, all of a sudden a lamb apper from no were, enter in between my legs, carry me away. The lamb was jesus. Thank you.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by volihove: 8:14am On Aug 01, 2014
Op God bless you a million times

Kia! All these so called christians can't even answer directly. Them just dey beat around.

Op I won't lie am a christain nd God voice I don't knw. I hv been asking people(believers) up nd down but no show.

Last last dey will say he speaks tru the bible, nw d question is hw am I nt sure I will interpret the bible to suit my situation or circumstance!

After dat one dey will pull on u, the u are not desiring him(GOD) card! And am like if I don't desire him will I be concern if I hear from him or not!

And I hv come to observe that christains are quick to condem one , wen you try to talk to dem about certain norms of christaindom you don't understand

2 Likes

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by shdemidemi(m): 8:20am On Aug 01, 2014
malvisguy212: I will just give you the detail.I don't go to church when all this happen to me, I don't even care about heaven or hell when I had this dream, the first one was in a desert, some people want to convert me to there religion when the face apper on the sky and save me.
The second happen when my friend say somtin bad about the same religion, they wanted to kill him, but when I pleaded for him, they hold me tight, sharpen there knife and wanted to kill me, all of a sudden a lamb apper from no were, enter in between my legs, carry me away. The lamb was jesus. Thank you.

Do you think anyone from any other religion can't have similar experience?

What you had was an experience. Experience come and they go, they are not and can't be a standard. They should remain with you as they are uniquely for you. 'God told me' isn't what we should preach as Christians, we must stick to the scriptures even over whatever supernatural experience.

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Nobody: 8:29am On Aug 01, 2014
cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Euphrosyne(m): 8:32am On Aug 01, 2014
I've bin talkin to God for so long, i luk at ma life. I guess He talkin back to me
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by ayobase(m): 8:34am On Aug 01, 2014
DrummaBoy:

Amen.

I actually learnt that quote from peter007.

all u said are noted and correct. I 100% concur.

what happens to

"my son, don't go to that place today cos of bomb blast"

"Ayo, don't travel today. make it monday next week"

"Drummaboy, I wouldn't want u to play drum again. go learn how to play guitar"

"tgirl4real, u r now a woman. change your name to tladyforchrist"

Remember, I am citing examples not based on feelings or whispering, but based on audible voice as baba Adeboye do say and experience.

we can surely hear from God when we go beyond LOGO to RHEMA.

We can hear from God in our dreams or just in a few seconds vision.

we can hear from God via the prophets of God.

we can even hear from God via friends and family.

my question is this, some people do hear from God audibly like when talking with a friend.......I wanna believe this is one of the effective ways God can deliver one from a die-minute impending danger.

how do one attain this level of relationship with God, provided one has fulfilled the aforementioned methods?

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by twosquare(m): 8:39am On Aug 01, 2014
Heamah:

What was the assignment the voice asked you to carry out? Could you share?
until i have carried it out...after that i will share.thanks.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Nobody: 8:39am On Aug 01, 2014
Some folks here are asking some: How did you know that was God speaking? There are only two ways to confirm that it's God speaking. One is, the word which is being spoken must vehemently align with God's word - The bible. The 2nd is, after hearing that word, you'd have an unmistakable kind of PEACE, which only God can give. NoTE: The devil can't give you PEACE. He doesn't have what it takes to produce peace. Even if he's to try, he'll end up creating the opposite of peace - which is coherently restlessness. When a voice speaks to you and you notice that you don't have peace - then its from the devil.

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by malvisguy212: 8:40am On Aug 01, 2014
shdemidemi:

Do you think anyone from any other religion can't have similar experience?

What you had was an experience. Experience come and they go, they are not and can't be a standard. They should remain with you as they are uniquely for you. 'God told me' isn't what we should preach as Christians, we must stick to the scriptures even over whatever supernatural experience.
I did not say other people from diff religion can't encounter God, the grace of God is for mankind,one thin I will like you to know is, God don't recognise religion.

3 Likes

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by SirAweezy(m): 8:41am On Aug 01, 2014
He speaks to me through visions, trans, and words of Wisdom.. He allow me see through my tongues(I can Intreprete). And aslo he talks to me through Nature, the tree, winds, and deep moment of silence). Guess what... I'm still finding it difficult to be faithful To him... Social life is very interesting, and wouldn't want be a pastor.. But I see him most times when he smiles at me and just shook his head slowly... So many incredible revelations but I prefer to be Solo..(Don't know for. How long. Sha)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

APC Will Take Over Bayelsa State In 2016, Except… – Primate Ayodele / RCCG Sells A Bag Of Rice At N9k To Their Members In Abuja / Apostle Suleman: 'Don't Come To Church With Phones, IPad To Read Bible'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.