Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,878 members, 7,802,836 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:54 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (124) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1345523 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kenkool(m): 2:37pm On Oct 01, 2016
iCool:
@socratez20 @kenkool. I just checked and this link still works for the videos..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pfponjisltie4su/AADld9-cQWy-c92Mx50Uc_5ha?oref=e
Thanks. Please do you have something for SAT also?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by strictlynaija: 2:59pm On Oct 01, 2016
cuspy:

They are. It takes them less than a day to register you. I registered there this week.
You are right. I'm registered already.
Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 3:24pm On Oct 01, 2016
Topiipii:

They're safe to the best of my knowledge. I registered both TOEFL and GRE with them, saw my TOEFL score today and will be taking the GRE later this week.
Hi Topiipii, how did your GRE go?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 5:24pm On Oct 01, 2016
kenkool:

Thanks. Please do you have something for SAT also?
I do not have any.

Hi Topiipii, how did your GRE and TOEFL go?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 8:20pm On Oct 01, 2016
Onoa:
Greetings everyone. I have been following this thread for a while and I must say I really appreciate the selflessness and encouragement I have seen displayed by members of this thread. The success stories of Sir Danja ninja, SirRiddy and others are really inspiring and assure me that I can actually achieve my dream of studying in the US.

I studied biochemistry, graduated last year with a Cgpa of 4.52/5.0. I sat for GRE on Thursday, and I had 310 (V-155, Q-155), though it was lower than I wanted, guess I didn't prepare well enough. I would like to pursue my PhD in Immunology and Microbiology, in a school that offers full funding and I intend to apply to a number of schools though I have only 2 for now, university of Louisville, & university of Kansas medical center.

Also,  I am yet to start working on my statement of purpose, and I honestly don't know where to start from, hope this is not too late?, I have mailed my prospective recommenders, who seem willing to help.

To the egbons in the house, and to my fellow aspirants, I would really appreciate suggestions and advice concerning my plans given my GRE scores and Cgpa as well as any recommendations for other schools, while I continue my search. Concerning the SOP,  please I wouldn't mind if I can get someone to evaluate it, when am done.
Lastly, I do not intend to take the TOEFL or have my transcript evaluated, do you think this is a wise decision?.

Thanks in advance and Happy Independence day anniversary.

You have a very good profile and considering that you have decided to apply for phd, I think your chances of funding are high. However, you might want to consider applying early and please do ur background check well on ur choice schools especially as regarding the english proficiency requirements (since you've chosen not to write any proficiency test).
As regarding the sop, u can send drop ur email or send me a pm so I can forward a document sirRiddy gave me one time like that as a guide. I also believe getting someone to review your sop wouldn't be much of a big deal as there are many gurus in d house.
Congratulations on ur great score and all d best in ur endeavors... cheers
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ugonna1054(m): 12:43am On Oct 02, 2016
Cephas0009:

You have a very good profile and considering that you have decided to apply for phd, I think your chances of funding are high. However, you might want to consider applying early and please do ur background check well on ur choice schools especially as regarding the english proficiency requirements (since you've chosen not to write any proficiency test).
As regarding the sop, u can send drop ur email or send me a pm so I can forward a document sirRiddy gave me one time like that as a guide. I also believe getting someone to review your sop wouldn't be much of a big deal as there are many gurus in d house.
Hello, if you wouldn't mind sharing d SOP guide with me too.......
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ChemEngr01: 10:42am On Oct 02, 2016
Who else is using mnemonics to learn gre 'big' words? grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Onoa(f): 10:45am On Oct 02, 2016
Hi Cephas0009,
Thank you so much for the reply

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Topiipii(m): 3:13pm On Oct 02, 2016
drhopeful:
Hi Topiipii, how did your GRE go?
Not exactly as I'd like: V - 161, Q - 165, but I'm hoping the AW score would be better than the previous one.
iCool:

Hi Topiipii, how did your GRE and TOEFL go?
TOEFL was sweet and terrible! I had 20 on the speaking section, writing 29, Reading 29 and Listening 30, I wish I can have your speaking score right now. I'm trying to complete my SOPs now, that's the last part of my application.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 3:43pm On Oct 02, 2016
Topiipii:

Not exactly as I'd like: V - 161, Q - 165, but I'm hoping the AW score would be better than the previous one.

TOEFL was sweet and terrible! I had 20 on the speaking section, writing 29, Reading 29 and Listening 30, I wish I can have your speaking score right now. I'm trying to complete my SOPs now, that's the last part of my application.
Man! You are just blessed! Your scores are just so sweet! Sorry about the TOEFL speaking though. What happened? It's so off from the other sections. Na Yoruba u go speak ni?? grin Just kidding. I just wish you could dash me your test scores. Dreading my GRE rewrite in 18 days. Pray for me pls.

What schools are you applying to and what course of study?

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Topiipii(m): 4:09pm On Oct 02, 2016
drhopeful:
Na Yoruba u go speak ni??
It seems so embarassed
Dreading my GRE rewrite in 18 days. Pray for me pls.
check your mail, I already replied.

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 5:10pm On Oct 02, 2016
Topiipii:

Those GRE scores are way beyond 'so sweet' (Drhopeful, 2016). If and when I get my 320+ score, I will take a one week break to Obudu cattle ranch cheesy.

That speaking score fall your hand!!! angry cry That GRE and TOEFL would have been 1st tier universities standard. Kai! This one is hard... re-write that exam.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Topiipii(m): 6:16pm On Oct 02, 2016
iCool:

Those GRE scores are way beyond 'so sweet' (Drhopeful, 2016). If and when I get my 320+ score, I will take a one week break to Obudu cattle ranch cheesy.

That speaking score fall your hand!!! angry cry That GRE and TOEFL would have been 1st tier universities standard. Kai! This one is hard... re-write that exam.
I'll rewrite if ETS will pay forthe test ...lol grin. I don't have 45k for another test abeg.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 6:23pm On Oct 02, 2016
^ grin

Truly, 45k is much money. You did well, move ahead with the other parts of your application.

Well done bro. wink
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:47pm On Oct 02, 2016
Topiipii:

how were u able 2 achieve ds feat, wat books did u use and how was ur time management?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TJ0987(f): 9:51pm On Oct 02, 2016
I used power prep yesterday and had V 151 Q 149. Feeling disappointed. Please help with quantitative. I have used materials, but I seen not to understand the explanation.

Kindly assist dear friends...Is there anyone that can assist me on weekends? Strictly for quant pls. I don't want to score low again like I did back in 2014.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:09pm On Oct 02, 2016
TJ0987:
I used power prep yesterday and had V 151 Q 149. Feeling disappointed. Please help with quantitative. I have used materials, but I seen not to understand the explanation.

Kindly assist dear friends...Is there anyone that can assist me on weekends? Strictly for quant pls. I don't want to score low again like I did back in 2014.

use baron or gruber textbook to do well in maths, they explain well, practise a lot of questions

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ajibade105(m): 5:29am On Oct 03, 2016
Good morning,

Please, who can help me scrutinize my statement of purpose. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Renewable0216: 5:36am On Oct 03, 2016
Topiipii:

Hey Bro! Congrats on your GRE. Wishing you the best in your overall application!

Abeg, I'm having seriousissues with Verbal especially RC. Any suggestions on how best tp improve?

I seriously need help!!!!

Plus is there anyone in Warri, Delta State we can study together?
I don't seem to have issues with Quants yet... except my tiny mistakes.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 1:38pm On Oct 03, 2016
strictlynaija:

Thanks

Told ya.

I had an issue tho. I was registered for 3rd Nov and not the 20th Nov date I picked. They said they're going to reschedule for me an early Dec Date; additional cost on them.

Hope prep is going well?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 1:50pm On Oct 03, 2016
Topiipii:

Wow!!!!, Great Scores!!!
You'll be fine even with the speaking section.

All the best in your application bro.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OluDare01(m): 3:51pm On Oct 03, 2016
Onoa:
Hi Cephas0009,
Thank you so much for the reply
Hey, you have a very good profile.
I would advice you to write Toefl because it aids your chances of getting funding.
My 50cents

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by strictlynaija: 4:36pm On Oct 03, 2016
cuspy:

Told ya.

I had an issue tho. I was registered for 3rd Nov and not the 20th Nov date I picked. They said they're going to reschedule for me an early Dec Date; additional cost on them.

Hope prep is going well?

Prep dey ooo.

How's yours?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Teekay2408(m): 4:54pm On Oct 03, 2016
if u seed GRE registration at 60k interact with me thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Renewable0216: 8:06pm On Oct 03, 2016
Teekay2408:
if u seed GRE registration at 60k interact with me thanks

Okay. I' heard of a centre of 55k in Lagos.

I'd confirm tomorrow and get back to you.

When are you looking at writing?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Hisvoice(m): 10:23pm On Oct 03, 2016
Renewable0216:

Okay. I' heard of a centre of 55k in Lagos.

I'd confirm tomorrow and get back to you.

When are you looking at writing?

Hi, am interested in your report if the reg centre is genuine. How much does grefmatoefl accept for GRE registration guys?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by amofum(m): 8:12am On Oct 04, 2016
So after almost one full year of following this thread, I get to post my own experience.

Some 2 months ago, the trend of the naira- precipitous decline- forced me to finally schedule a date for the GRE test at #350. On that day, I made sure I chose the farthest date available-october 3rd, 2016- because although I had covered every material my practice scores were abysmal as it could get V155-158 Q150-158 for schools I had in mind. I was ready for a retest even before the test. My you I didn't have one naira on me again. I just dey sing small doctor song (aja n'sare, owo jona). Everyone on the whatsapp group kept encouraging me, I don't know each of them's monikers on nl however, ponpon was like a virtual GRE father to me.

Finally, two months deprecated into one month into 3 weeks till we got to two weeks. My practise score still didn't improve, I felt like postponing my test date. I couldn't tell anyone, I was constantly pusillanimous. Alas, I took ill on Tuesday of that week. I Just told myself THIS IS IT. However, ponpon once again encourage me, he was over empathetic; he told me he also took ill before his test. I couldn't read again, so I tried powerprep test 2 for confidence and wow. It took away the last shard of confidence left in me. I stared at the system as it showed me V156 Q152. I continued into reviewing the quant questions I failed. When I saw them I just sighed, I was destined to fail.

That week ran as fast as it could, I was just reviewing my mistakes. Lo! We were in my final one week, I still hadn't score x=320 on any practice test (even kaplan). I decided to just write sha sha. Thus on sunday 2nd of October, I migrated to Ojota, got a cheap guest house to pass the night no more reading. So I won't be late for my test, I stay around Iyana-Iba, I didn't want to add any risk to my state of 'unpreparedness'.

That night was very long but, soon it was 5am anxiety add woken me up. I stayed in my room till 7am. I proceeded to have breakfast and by 8:45am, I was en-route JKK house. At something around 9:15am I was in the compound and it felt awkward. I seemed to be the youngest there, and. The only one who didn't come with books. Yepa!!! I don die, should I have continued with 5lb till yesterday or this morning? Would it have helped? The questions flew in like they were in an 100m sprint contest with Mr. Bolt. Within 5mins I was already feeling headaches.

So much getting there early, I tried to keep my mind relax by chat with my GRE fam on whatsapp, ponpon was helpful again. 10am the capturing/accreditation had started and by 11ami was at workstation 20b at ETC. The journey was bout to start. I got an issue on leader made by demands; I interpreted it as leaders being made or born. I just did it somehow. Next came the argument it was on game sales and a tweak in strategy, I just lacerated the thing.

After the appetizers came the main course, as I had prayed for, I got verbal first thus my experimental would be verbal. This first section, I did my best, can't say it was easy. Then came the quant and when I got to number 20, I knew i needed around 13 more right questions to be guaranteed of 160 it was blessed. I then took my 10mins break. The next verbal felt like it was written in japanese, I just couldn't understand why it was showing on my screen. In my mind I just pondered, if ETS doesn't want me to pass they should just tell me why must they go through this route? Next came the quant and I felt ok this is the time to show them I can get the 165 like topii. Gbam! Gboom! Gbish! Na so the questions attack me. Jesu mi ooooo!!! My money is going. I tried my best, got to number 15 and time went off. I just sank back into my chair. I turn left and right people were already reporting scores. Someone got 316 and she was smiling. One section to go and I was praying for 310. The last section was verbal again, I just did it with less conviction, and got to the end b4 the 26mins mark. I smiled to myself, I had set a new personal best in stupidity.

It was time to report scores, I wanted to but, my spirit was weak. Finally, the body and the spirit reach a compromise, I reported the scores. Then came that long 3 seconds, alas my score was here. What I saw made me stare at the screen for another 60seconds then out of shock I signalled to the proctor, as he approached I realised I really didn't have anything to tell him. The screen showed Verbal:160 Quant:161. I was happy, I decided to send it to 3 safe schools and one good school. Kent State, Oklahoma State, Florida Inst of Tech and Uni of Illinois-urbana.

I walked out of the centre and still couldn't understand if those were really my scores. Shout out to you all on nl who regularly posted tips and material God bless. Special rugged shout out to ponpon and the family on whatsapp, if I were to choose people to go on the journey with all over. I probably choose you guys x! Times where 20<x.

Next phase serious application.

My current profile:
BSc: 3.01/4.00
MSc: 3.8/4.00
GRE: 321
Intended programs: Phd I/O psychology or PhD Management (HRM) or PhD Business (HRM) or PhD Labor and Employment Relations.

I pray we all make it to our dream institutions, Fall 2017 application has started in earnest.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Topiipii(m): 10:11am On Oct 04, 2016
Gunbiz:

how were u able 2 achieve ds feat, wat books did u use and how was ur time management?
Took a couple of practice tests, I also read Kaplan's tips for the AW section. I don't have any time management practice; for the verbal section, I usually just rush through the SE and TC parts leaving enough time for the reading comprehension.
Renewable0216:

Hey Bro! Congrats on your GRE. Wishing you the best in your overall application!
Abeg, I'm having serious issues with Verbal especially RC. Any suggestions on how best tp improve?
I seriously need help!!!!
Plus is there anyone in Warri, Delta State we can study together?
I don't seem to have issues with Quants yet... except my tiny mistakes.
I usually have issues with the RC passages too (my score is 10/20 on average), I'd advise you leave TC and SE and practice more RC at least for a couple of days. Always read the review after each test, this will enable you to note the subtle differences between answer choices.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Glowrie22: 11:48am On Oct 04, 2016
Cephas0009:

Could you please send me the guide too? glory.okpiaifo@gmail.com. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TJ0987(f): 12:06pm On Oct 04, 2016
kindly help with the statement of purpose document too, my email oadeniji1@gmail.com

Cephas0009:

Glowrie22:

Could you please send me the guide too? glory.okpiaifo@gmail.com. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OGreene: 1:23pm On Oct 04, 2016
i need books oo. I am looking for Manhattan and Gruber and Nova

Gunbiz:

i av nt picked an exam date yet, i av all the books
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OGreene: 1:24pm On Oct 04, 2016
i hv registered too

strictlynaija:

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.