Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,257 members, 7,780,565 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:32 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (135) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1336881 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 6:04pm On Oct 22, 2016
Bolisticbond026:
@Seeker88 tanxs very much for sharing your experience with us very insightful and i must confess i really learn alot.I must confess u and drhope has motivated me to start my preparation as soon as possible.To be candid,before now ave given up in taking GRE exam becos of my tight work but schedule but you guys has gingered me.I don't mind talking to you love to ask some questions from you.Congratulation once again the sky is just a stepping bro.
Please i need Manhattan material for my preparation and Magoosh videos to prepare for AWA tanks in advance.
I'm glad my experience has motivated someone here....please fell free to contact me for any question u may wanna ask. Sorry my response is coming a bit late.
You can send me pm.....cheers!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 6:18pm On Oct 22, 2016
drhopeful:
l don't mind! Yes I am already registered for TOEFL - Nov 12
Thanks boss, pm sent.....
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 6:20pm On Oct 22, 2016
sirRiddy:
Congratulations seeker88.
Your post was insightful and helps future test takers prepare better.
All the best smiley
Thanks boss....please I maybe needing ur help during my application.... Considering Engineering Management in ur school, dunno if u know about d dept??
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by amofum(m): 7:04pm On Oct 22, 2016
Yesterday my last project student turned in her work finally and, I'm glad I'll be a little free from next week. I haven't been able to gather momentum in my application since the beginning of this month.

Now I'll like this honourable house to advise of schools for my current profile. I want to turn in my applications by first week of December.

UnderG CGPA: Economics and Statistics: 3.14/5.0; 3.1/4.0(WES)
Post_G CGPA: MSc Human Resource an Industrial Relations: 4.67/5.0; 3.8/4.0(WES)
GRE: Q161 V160 A3.5
TOEFL: No money for that sh*t
Experience: 1 year TA & RA
Research Experience: Still working on 2 papers one pure research and one meta-analysis (target- top 20 journals in HRM)
Programs of Choice: PhD Biz Admin(HRM); PhD HRM; PhD Industrial and Labour Relations; PhD I/O Psychology; PhD Work & Organisations (Generally anything relating to HRM)

Advise urgently need pleasssssssssssse.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bolisticbond026: 7:36pm On Oct 22, 2016
@seeker88 tanxs for that reply i'll like this honourable house to help me with dis profile and suggest schools that offer IT course specificallly in Computer Network Security or Cybersecurity and perhaps help me with CGPA conversion to US standard.

Undergraduate Course: Electronics and Computer Engineering
CGPA :3.71
Work Experience: 3 Years in Telecoms
Thanks in advance guys.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kunbeeee: 9:08pm On Oct 22, 2016
Please can anyone help with the link to download the magoosh videos
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bolisticbond026: 9:36pm On Oct 22, 2016
@Kunbeee you can go to page 133 for the link........
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 9:43pm On Oct 22, 2016
Bolisticbond026:
You can go to page 133 for the link........
wink Good job.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 22, 2016
Bolisticbond026:
@seeker88 tanxs for that reply i'll like this honourable house to help me with dis profile and suggest schools that offer IT course specificallly in Computer Network Security or Cybersecurity and perhaps help me with CGPA conversion to US standard.

Undergraduate Course: Electronics and Computer Engineering
CGPA :3.71
Work Experience: 3 Years in Telecoms
Thanks in advance guys.

hi there, ur WES should not be less than 3.0/4

btw, u can check out these schools,
1) university of texas, san antonio
2) Norwich University
3)Mississipi State University
4) Syracuse University
5) Carnegie Mellon University
6) Purdue University
7) University of Southern California
cool University of Pittsburgh
9) George Mason University
10) West Chester University of Pennsylvania
11) University Of Washington

have u registered for the gre?

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GREcoach: 6:49am On Oct 23, 2016
Good day House. Some of our current students took the GRE exam on thursday and to the Glory of God, they did very well. In celebration of this, we have decided to subsidize all our trainings by #10,000 to all those who have contacted us via email at; grecoach@outlook.com up until 12.00 Midnight 22/10/16. If you fall into this category pls expect an email stating this shortly. Have a blessed day everyone
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 8:07am On Oct 23, 2016
sirRiddy:

Funding, K-State had the best offer. GPA was 3.28/4 which is 3.6/5 on our scale.
Chiefo, what was the offer that made K State that attractive for you? If you don't mind. . .
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:07pm On Oct 23, 2016
happyday:

Chiefo, what was the offer that made K State that attractive for you? If you don't mind. . .
Funding was guaranteed for two years as a teaching assistant if I maintained at least 3.0/4.0
This means I could get my master's degree without paying anything in tuition and health insurance. I got funding from other schools but they were renewable.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Adex097: 9:42pm On Oct 23, 2016
Good day house. I've been following this thread for about 2-3 months now and I must say, the information I get from here are invaluable and priceless.

I'm an undergraduate of Economics and Statistics (in my finals), currently on a CGPA of 4.09/5.0, I however estimated my CGPA to be around 4.0 after graduation.
I intend to apply and sit for the GRE immediately after my last exam next year June or July, then start working on my pursuit of a funded PhD program for either GTA or GRA.
1) In order to boost my chances of getting admitted for a PhD program, I'm thinking of meeting one of my lecturers here as regards working on a research work with him or any of his colleagues. But I sincerely do not know how to approach him sad , maybe it's because of my inability to build a personal relationship with any of them. undecided
2) Although I'm yet to make any constant decision pertaining to the area of Economics I'll be specializing on, but I'd love the experienced folks in the house to please help me out with some safe institutions where a potential Economics/Statistics Phd student would not only be admitted but also get funded easily.
3) Is it possible for a CGPA within the range of 4.0-4.1 to be evaluated to 3.5/4.0 by WES ?

Lastly, I've started working towards obtaining an amazing score from the GRE especially the Quant aspect. Downloaded about 90% of the required study materials, silently following this thread, quora, magoosh site, plus studying the official GRE texts ( at a very slow and steady pace for now tho).

I thank you all once again as I earnestly expect your answers to my seemingly "naive" questions. embarassed

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 6:21am On Oct 24, 2016
Adex097:
Good day house. I've been following this thread for about 2-3 months now and I must say, the information I get from here are invaluable and priceless.

I'm an undergraduate of Economics and Statistics (in my finals), currently on a CGPA of 4.09/5.0, I however estimated my CGPA to be around 4.0 after graduation.
I intend to apply and sit for the GRE immediately after my last exam next year June or July, then start working on my pursuit of a funded PhD program for either GTA or GRA.
1) In order to boost my chances of getting admitted for a PhD program, I'm thinking of meeting one of my lecturers here as regards working on a research work with him or any of his colleagues. But I sincerely do not know how to approach him sad , maybe it's because of my inability to build a personal relationship with any of them. undecided
2) Although I'm yet to make any constant decision pertaining to the area of Economics I'll be specializing on, but I'd love the experienced folks in the house to please help me out with some safe institutions where a potential Economics/Statistics Phd student would not only be admitted but also get funded easily.
3) Is it possible for a CGPA within the range of 4.0-4.1 to be evaluated to 3.5/4.0 by WES ?

Lastly, I've started working towards obtaining an amazing score from the GRE especially the Quant aspect. Downloaded about 90% of the required study materials, silently following this thread, quora, magoosh site, plus studying the official GRE texts ( at a very slow and steady pace for now tho).

I thank you all once again as I earnestly expect your answers to my seemingly "naive" questions. embarassed
1). Have you gotten a supervisor yet, if YES, summon the courage to work up to him and discuss your plans (you may not tell him that you r going to the US for a PhD after graduation for now) with him. Tell him/her that you will like to publish some papers with him/her in order to gain research experience.
2). No idea
3) Your 4.0GPA should be somewhere 3.4/3.5.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Orton10(m): 7:36am On Oct 24, 2016
Hey iCool,
The dropbox link to the Magoosh vids you posted is having issues with the traffic. Sent a request to your mail for permission to access it via Google drive. Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 8:39am On Oct 24, 2016
Orton10:
Hey iCool,
The dropbox link to the Magoosh vids you posted is having issues with the traffic. Sent a request to your mail for permission to access it via Google drive. Thanks.

I do not own the link so I won't be the one granting permission.

What's your location? There might be someone close by that you can get the videos from.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Orton10(m): 9:09am On Oct 24, 2016
I doubt. I am at Ibadan.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 10:38am On Oct 24, 2016
Orton10:
I doubt. I am at Ibadan.

Miracles happen.. smiley Isn't UI in session?

Anyone at Ibadan that can share the videos with Orton10?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:57pm On Oct 24, 2016
No I do not know about the department.
I wish all the best in your applications.
seeker88:

Thanks boss....please I maybe needing ur help during my application.... Considering Engineering Management in ur school, dunno if u know about d dept??
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by manwonder: 7:34pm On Oct 24, 2016
Hi guys,

I was able to download ETS Official GRE materials from www.4shared.com. Here's the link to the materials: http://www.4shared.com/get/gbrBr884ce/GRE.html. Hope you find the site useful.

Anyone that has the soft copy of Manhattan Prep 5LB. Book of GRE Practice Problems should please help a brother out; I'm in dire need of that book. I couldn't download it successfully via the links earlier provided. My email address is alobam1@yahoo.com

Also, I'd like to connect with anyone that has the Magoosh videos (and any other useful GRE material) who works around Lagos Island; I'm in dire need of those videos (and any other useful material) too. I couldn't download them via the links too.

I want to find out- how did those who registered for the exam with 50K do it? Did the Test Centre (JKK Limited) register on their behalf?

Thanks guys!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TJ0987(f): 10:04pm On Oct 24, 2016
Kindly help with Magoosh videos...I work in Marina, anyone around there kind enough to assist would be highly appreciated.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by yorex2011: 2:02am On Oct 25, 2016
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jamebex(m): 11:57am On Oct 25, 2016
Adex097:

If you are currently on 4.09 CGPA, I will advice that you put in all effort necessary to finish well above it. Graduate schools places more weight on your grade in the last 60 credit courses. In simple terms, aim for 5.0 GPA in your remaining semesters. This may seem impossible, but it is achievable and I know you can do it.

1) In order to boost my chances of getting admitted for a PhD program, I'm thinking of meeting one of my lecturers here as regards working on a research work with him or any of his colleagues. But I sincerely do not know how to approach him sad , maybe it's because of my inability to build a personal relationship with any of them.

This, perhaps may be the single most important thing you will do to significantly help your graduate school application.
The experience you get will come in handy when you start writing your statement of purpose, and will also serve as your research experience. Also the relationship you build from this will help greatly when you need letter of recommendations.

Like someone has suggested, approach them and discuss your graduate school plans with them, you'd be amazed at how helpful they might be. I for example in my finals, approached one of my lecturer who was completing his Phd and told him about my plans . I was really surprised by how receptive he was. He immediately took me on and started sending me to do little task like printing documents, then asking me to go and source for primary literature for the work and to the point of actually helping to proofread the work itself. In the end I gained not only the experience but also a wonderful relationship which continued even after graduation. So I urge you to do this.

I personally don't buy into this safe school ish. For Masters maybe, but for Phd NOOOOOOO, Phd is for 5 (FIVE ) freaking years, it is not something you apply for just because you think a school is safe. Please apply to a Phd program because the research going on there is top notch and you'd be happy doing it for 5 to 6 years.

Refer to my first response and you'd have no reason to worry about this.

7 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Adex097: 5:00pm On Oct 25, 2016
pennstate:

1). Have you gotten a supervisor yet, if YES, summon the courage to work up to him and discuss your plans (you may not tell him that you r going to the US for a PhD after graduation for now) with him. Tell him/her that you will like to publish some papers with him/her in order to gain research experience.
2). No idea
3) Your 4.0GPA should be somewhere 3.4/3.5.
I'm yet to have a project supervisor. But nevertheless, I'll definitely discuss my future plans with whoever amongst them ends up to become my supervisor. Thank you so much sir. I'm so grateful.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Adex097: 5:05pm On Oct 25, 2016
jamebex:

If you are currently on 4.09 CGPA, I will advice that you put in all effort necessary to finish well above it. Graduate schools places more weight on your grade in the last 60 credit courses. In simple terms, aim for 5.0 GPA in your remaining semesters. This may seem impossible, but it is achievable and I know you can do it.

This, perhaps may be the single most important thing you will do to significantly help your graduate school application.
The experience you get will come in handy when you start writing your statement of purpose, and will also serve as your research experience. Also the relationship you build from this will help greatly when you need letter of recommendations.

Like someone has suggested, approach them and discuss your graduate school plans with them, you'd be amazed at how helpful they might be. I for example in my finals, approached one of my lecturer who was completing his Phd and told him about my plans . I was really surprised by how receptive he was. He immediately took me on and started sending me to do little task like printing documents, then asking me to go and source for primary literature for the work and to the point of actually helping to proofread the work itself. In the end I gained not only the experience but also a wonderful relationship which continued even after graduation. So I urge you to do this.

I personally don't buy into this safe school ish. For Masters maybe, but for Phd NOOOOOOO, Phd is for 5 (FIVE ) freaking years, it is not something you apply for just because you think a school is safe. Please apply to a Phd program because the research going on there is top notch and you'd be happy doing it for 5 to 6 years.

Refer to my first response and you'd have no reason to worry about this.

Thanks for this enlightenment .
God bless you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 9:12pm On Oct 25, 2016
Adex097:

I'm yet to have a project supervisor. But nevertheless, I'll definitely discuss my future plans with whoever amongst them ends up to become my supervisor. Thank you so much sir. I'm so grateful.
Ok, All the best in your endeavour!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Mimi17(f): 9:51pm On Oct 25, 2016
Help house pls who knows where I can register for GRE/Tofel in abuja and where I can get study materials?thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by codexgigax: 3:07am On Oct 26, 2016
If you are in Lagos and you need study materials for GRE (PDFs - ETS, Manhattan, Barron, Nova, Kaplan, etc, PowerPrep software, Magoosh videos), please do not hesitate to contact me. Meeting one on one is preferable due to the size of the files. It is absolutely free! Please note that this offer is for those that have registered for the exam.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by manwonder: 8:18am On Oct 26, 2016
codexgigax:
If you are in Lagos and you need study materials for GRE (PDFs - ETS, Manhattan, Barron, Nova, Kaplan, etc, PowerPrep software, Magoosh videos), please do not hesitate to contact me. Meeting one on one is preferable due to the size of the files. It is absolutely free! Please note that this offer is for those that have registered for the exam.

Hi codexgigax,

I'm interested in the Magoosh videos and the PowerPrep software. I just sent you a PM; kindly reply.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:02am On Oct 26, 2016
codexgigax:

Hello,
Please how do I get access to Magoosh Videos. My exam date is in November and I am not in Lagos.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by galsontherock(f): 11:33am On Oct 26, 2016
Hello all the gurus in the house,
I wrote GRE in September and I am really worried now because I registered to write again by December. My score was (Q148 V156). I have been practicing but my scores have really been poor. I need help to avoid giving up.

embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by codexgigax: 5:54pm On Oct 26, 2016
galsontherock:
Hello all the gurus in the house,
I wrote GRE in September and I am really worried now because I registered to write again by December. My score was (Q148 V156). I have been practicing but my scores have really been poor. I need help to avoid giving up.

embarassed embarassed embarassed

What have you done differently as regards preparation this time around?
What study kits are you using for your quant?

One way not to beat yourself up is to focus on your weak areas more that trying to improve your overall score. I think you have enough time to nail this thing. I recently got to know of someone who had 170 in VR and she prepared in less than one month.

Like I said earlier if you need any study materials for GRE and you've registered, please get in touch with me.

(1) (2) (3) ... (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.