Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,034 members, 7,807,089 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:23 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (163) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1347112 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kannyt01(m): 3:25pm On Dec 29, 2016
Hey bro i will be taken the same GRE by march '17 kindly share your reading scope and how well you have balanced your reading schedules and work schedules?

Hopefully anytime soon i will get your reply.
Thanks
vikings809:
Results out:

V- 154
Q-160
AWA- 4.0

Converted CGPA: 3.34/4.0 (OAU)

Target: Funded Physics & Astronomy Msc/Phd in US.

I'd appreciate any form of advice
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by vikings809: 4:22pm On Dec 29, 2016
amofum:

Are there schools that would do that? I tried that route with Kent state and they dragged decision till 2days to the deadline. At the end na still story.

Yes. Ther eare schools that do waive TOEFL but you have contact them and ask first. You explain that English is your language of study and you have a complete understanding of it. To be safe one can take TOEFL though. Maybe that's what I'll do, just in case.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by vikings809: 4:42pm On Dec 29, 2016
tescoman90:
guy how you take study and 4 hw long n also texbookz

Can't say exactly how long I studied for it. It was an one and off thing cos I was working at the same time.

The key thing for me was to identify my weak points- which was RC (after some tests), and do a little practice every day. Set a time table and adhere to it. Take a practice test (Q and V) once or twice a week and PowerPrep's 2 full length tests bfore taking the exam.

About textbooks, don't use Kaplan- their questions are soft when compared to the GRE. Magoosh is good though, and none of the practice tests out there are on the same level as the real exam, although some are close. But if you practice hard enough you'll do well on test day.

Make sure you conclude your preparations at least 3 days before the test day. After you're done, rest. Conserve your energy. You'll need it for the exam. Also eat well before going for the test.

My Q could've been better - during prep my score was usually around 164/165. I didn't take good care of my self a day to the test date and developed a headache. As a result my first V n Q weren't okay. Thank God for the 10-minute break- I washed my face and things improved from there.

In all, the GRE isn't too hard as believed. Once you get familiar with the system you'll ace it.

kannyt01:
Hey bro i will be taken the same GRE by march '17 kindly share your reading scope and how well you have balanced your reading schedules and work schedules?

I didn't read as much as practice. For me it was practice, practice, practice. Just draw out a plan. Set a time table, adhere to it and monitor your progress.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kannyt01(m): 5:18pm On Dec 29, 2016
THANKS BUDDY, YOU MEAN PRACTICE WILL DO BETTER?
vikings809:

Can't say exactly how long I studied for it. It was an one and off thing cos I was working at the same time.

The key thing for me was to identify my weak points- which was RC (after some tests), and do a little practice every day. Set a time table and adhere to it. Take a practice test (Q and V) once or twice a week and PowerPrep's 2 full length tests bfore taking the exam.

About textbooks, don't use Kaplan- their questions are soft when compared to the GRE. Magoosh is good though, and none of the practice tests out there are on the same level as the real exam, although some are close. But if you practice hard enough you'll do well on test day.

Make sure you conclude your preparations at least 3 days before the test day. After you're done, rest. Conserve your energy. You'll need it for the exam. Also eat well before going for the test.

My Q could've been better - during prep my score was usually around 164/165. I didn't take good care of my self a day to the test date and developed a headache. As a result my first V n Q weren't okay. Thank God for the 10-minute break- I washed my face and things improved from there.

In all, the GRE isn't too hard as believed. Once you get familiar with the system you'll ace it.

I didn't read as much as practice. For me it was practice, practice, practice. Just draw out a plan. Set a time table, adhere to it and monitor your progress.

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sedulousQueen: 5:50pm On Dec 29, 2016
Gunbiz:

is it ur Facebook email?
Yes please

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by vikings809: 6:31pm On Dec 29, 2016
kannyt01:
THANKS BUDDY, YOU MEAN PRACTICE WILL DO BETTER?

It's not about practicing alone only. You have to read too, to know why you got a question right or wrong, and so on.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by vikings809: 6:32pm On Dec 29, 2016
Time2Smile:
Searching for school is part of research,You might as well start research before Grad school. (If you find a suitable school, let me know grin grin grin) I am sure there are good schools that would accept the GRE score. 314 no be beans.

Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nitta08(f): 10:06pm On Dec 29, 2016
Compliments of the season everyone. Does applying to two departments in one school affect the admission decision of either departments negatively?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:27am On Dec 30, 2016
Nitta08:
Compliments of the season everyone. Does applying to two departments in one school affect the admission decision of either departments negatively?

It does not. As long as you pay the application fee for both. Admission decisions are made my departments not necessarily the general graduate admissions board. In fact, what the latter do is to see if you meet all the stipulated criteria set by the committee and then they forward the application to the department.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:42am On Dec 30, 2016
vikings809:
Results out:

V- 154
Q-160
AWA- 4.0

Converted CGPA: 3.34/4.0 (OAU)

Target: Funded Physics & Astronomy Msc/Phd in US.

I'd appreciate any form of advice

Congrats.

If you are considering this fall then your major criteria at this point should be applications that are available as per priority deadlines and those that can fund your program.

As a rule of thumb, start by searching for schools that have the program you are looking for and as much as possible look for a hierarchical version of such a list. Next, prune down the list based on Acceptance rates, then "ratings" of the program and lastly the GRE scores (startclass can help but remember to check for graduate school acceptance rates not the undergraduate one). You may decide to be ambitious and select a school whose GRE minimum is just above yours, select 1 that matches yours and 2 just below yours (as safe schools)---> crunchprep has a good list for schools whose GRE range is between 310-315 and 315-320. There is another good website now that feels like minus or msnius or something of the sort *arggggh frustration* can't remember.

Next contact grad coordinators of said schools by checking the websites and portals for it and ask them about deadlines and if they admit international students directly for PhD. They will most definitely (in answering this question) tell you about funding in their school. I have noticed generally that most schools have funding depending on the program and if one is considering a thesis-based masters or a PhD.

Apart from this, most will let you know the minimum GPA they deem as competitive and if they can waive TOEFL and so on. Take note too, that TOEFL plays a huge role in getting TAs hence why people take the capital and labor pains to still write it even after having schooled all their lives in English.

You would see how by just contacting the grad coordinators with these questions will save you the stress of frittering away your now exorbitant application fees. Some responses will let you know you stand no chance (and it is not always a bad thing). University of Florida told me they did not admit international students directly for PhD and did not fund their master's students for example.

PS: since you (like me) did not do this research before your test you are going to have to cough out $27 each time you want to send your scores to your schools. But if you employ the services of BY MAFIT you'd pay N8000 per school instead which is a fair bargain if you ask me.

Holy Moses! That's a lot of writing for a simple question.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:08am On Dec 30, 2016
Scholastica16 your response is very insightful.
Emailing grad coordinators would help eliminate schools that you
should not waste time and money on. Of all the four schools I sent my scores
to during my GRE in 2014, I only eventually applied to the one I am attending
now. I was very inexperienced and only got better with time.

I got to know that funding chances are low for one, the other one, ASU, just
chop my application fee (90 dollars) and Utah State said they waive only out of state. So it
is pertinent grad coordinators are contacted way ahead of one's GRE like you suggested

In my research group, my
lab head is very inclusive and gives PhD students a lot of free-hand. We have access
to a lot of info like faculty recruiting, grants situation and even students' admission
package since he is in the adcomms. A Nigerian who is applying to my department
was able to get first-hand info on admission requirements because of this privilege.
She had a subpar GRE score, I talked to the grad coordinator and he rarely revealed
to me the minimum cut off of the GRE. She took the test again and made above the
score and hopefully she will be accepted.Funny enough, the requirement on the website
is 297 while the actual requirement averagely is 310. I asked him why they did that.
He said they do not want to scare away exceptional students who do not have the most glamorous
test scores. According to him, requiremnts are requirements. They can
help identify good potential through the admission process but cannot identify for sure who is going
to complete a PhD. Some gifted students just cannot score highly in the GRE but have
really commendable research acumen and experience.

To add to this, contacting current grad students can be a deal breaker too. You might
be lucky to form a rapport with one who is willing to divulge information about
admissions and funding situation in the department. I was able to know about TOEFL
requirements from an alumnus of the department who was a grad student at that time.
Candidates should try to proactive as this is the least one can do to stay competitive. The
Indians and Chinese are not smiling. Many of them can do everything possible including
cheating just to gain competitive edge.
So applicants should go to LinkedIn and find current students in their prospective programs.
One can type "GTA Chemical Engineering Harvard" if you are applying to the Chemical
Engineering program at Harvard for instance.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 1:22am On Dec 30, 2016
Hello all. I found this during my prep. I am not sure it is on this site because I couldn't find it in my compendium of materials I collated from this site. It is an official book from ETS that contains two practice tests at the end. In addition to the two test on Powerprep, that makes 4 official practice test from the official test company. I have realized that nothing compares to the question from ETS, all other third party materials are useful, but the optimum benefit would be from practicing real GRE questions. Try to take the tests under examination conditions. Like the maxim say:"Practice is everything. This is often misquoted as Practice makes perfect".
https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/erbuc/files/207_2f8f9f4b-d1b0-40c4-a3e3-0dbeb349472e.pdf

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 1:29am On Dec 30, 2016
sirRiddy:

chop my application fee (90 dollars) and Utah State said they waive only out of state. So it
is pertinent grad coordinators are contacted way ahead of one's GRE like you suggested

In my research group, my
lab head is very inclusive and gives PhD students a lot of free-hand. We have access
to a lot of info like faculty recruiting, grants situation and even students' admission
was able to get first-hand info on admission requirements because of this privilege.
She had a subpar GRE score, I talked to the grad coordinator and he rarely revealed
to me the minimum cut off of the GRE. She took the test again and made above the
score and hopefully she will be accepted.Funny enough, the requirement on the website
is 297 while the actual requirement averagely is 310. I asked him why they did that.
He said they do not want to scare away exceptional students who do not have the most glamorous
help identify good potential through the admission process but cannot identify for sure who is going
to complete a PhD. Some gifted students just cannot score highly in the GRE but have

To add to this, contacting current grad students can be a deal breaker too. You might
admissions and funding situation in the department. I was able to know about TOEFL
requirements from an alumnus of the department who was a grad student at that time.
Candidates should try to proactive as this is the least one can do to stay competitive. The
Indians and Chinese are not smiling. Many of them can do everything possible including
So applicants should go to LinkedIn and find current students in their prospective programs.
One can type "GTA Chemical Engineering Harvard" if you are applying to the Chemical
A really excellent post SirRiddy. We really need to start doing our research and making use of all available resources. It is just that this GRE preparation is taking a lot of my time. Thanks again for this post. Really appreciate your effort to continue to give back to others. I hope to emulate you when I get to the U.S. I would always try to lift up others too.

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:24am On Dec 30, 2016
Good morning guys. Please how do we handle proof of funds before the issuance of form I-20 by the institution by those of us depending fully on funding ?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kinematicguy: 2:38pm On Dec 30, 2016
doziej84:

how did you register for GRE search service?

I cant find such a link from my ETS account?

You register for it prior to writing the Gre. ie in the process of registration.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 2:40pm On Dec 30, 2016
sirRiddy:

I'm considering Arizona State Uni. What really happened abeg? They don't admit international students?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kinematicguy: 2:40pm On Dec 30, 2016
jaybiz007:

I read civil engineering too. Likewise, I have written the GRE and TOEFL exams. Can I reach you via email? I would have exploited the pm route but my nairaland email is no longer active.

Alright, kinematicguy at gmail. com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kinematicguy: 2:47pm On Dec 30, 2016
sirRiddy:

In my research group, my

Nice one sirriddy, you always do good.

I want to add that, when contacting GTAs, you might want to contact International students instead of citizens. I always first look if there is an African in the department, incase no Nigerian. If no African, I look for persons from developing countries too that's would understand my plight.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:08pm On Dec 30, 2016
LOL
No mind them. They do admit international students of course.
The program assistant said I could pay the application earlier in
Spring and it would be changed to Fall on their end. When I did
what she advised and it was time to submit application, na im
them change tone. 20k as at that tie just vamoose. ASU is a very
good school and I really love the robustness of their CS program.
cuspy:

I'm considering Arizona State Uni. What really happened abeg? They don't admit international students?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 8:35pm On Dec 30, 2016
sirRiddy:
LOL
No mind them. They do admit international students of course.
The program assistant said I could pay the application earlier in
Spring and it would be changed to Fall on their end. When I did
what she advised and it was time to submit application, na im
them change tone. 20k as at that tie just vamoose. ASU is a very
good school and I really love the robustness of their CS program.

Ok. Thanks for this, e no go happen second time grin. I would gladly wait.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 10:43pm On Dec 30, 2016
msinus.com... That's the website. Check profile evaluation. The website is for Indians. But u will get better information dere
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:46am On Dec 31, 2016
aanexplus:
msinus.com... That's the website. Check profile evaluation. The website is for Indians. But u will get better information dere

Right on the money! What was particularly useful is they could tell if a school had sufficient funding and for what programs based on trends so it was useful. Of course, like everything in life, it is imperfect as some of the GRE minimums for some schools were significantly off the mark. Just a few of them though.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:47am On Dec 31, 2016
sirRiddy:

In my research group, my

You have said it all. Gracias.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by towbaynah(m): 7:58am On Dec 31, 2016
Hello everyone, I need your take on this:

On the GRE, I scored 154 in Verbal, 152 in Quant, and 3.5 in Writing. Scored 100 on the TOEFL iBT. Finished with a 2'2, First degree (Political Science) and a strong 2'1 at Masters level (Political Science). I'm looking to apply for a PhD program in Political science at some not-so-highly-rated U.S schools. What are my chances of being considered for admission?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:43am On Dec 31, 2016
towbaynah:
Hello everyone, I need your take on this:

On the GRE, I scored 154 in Verbal, 152 in Quant, and 3.5 in Writing. Scored 100 on the TOEFL iBT. Finished with a 2'2, First degree (Political Science) and a strong 2'1 at Masters level (Political Science). I'm looking to apply for a PhD program in Political science at some not-so-highly-rated U.S schools. What are my chances of being considered for admission?

Like we have all tried to say in the past and even now: the chances of gaining admission is a holistic process and not just zeroed down to certain GRE scores or even a GPA. However, schools have a minimum GPA they work with for both undergraduate and graduate study and I think you can begin from there. Your 2'2 first degree, do you think when converted by WES could lie above 3.0/4.0 or thereabouts? That's one good indicator. Second, your masters' GPA that is strong is also an added advantage. If you have done any internships, publications or viable research experience they contribute more weightage than standardized test scores albeit yours is definitely competitive for most B-tier schools. I think you can guess by now that I am trying to say you are good to go and should have started looking for schools that match your profile.

Schools are realizing that graduate work is beyond having excellent test-taking skills. Some people can ace tests and still not complete graduate work because graduate work can be grueling and in so doing provide less room for people to gratify themselves with good grades. If you feel you are cut-out for this, then your chances are good.

Now please, don't ask people to recommend schools for you without bringing your own findings to the table as that would smack of laziness which is becoming the Nigerian way. With all that has been said here, go and find out schools that in recent trends have accepted profiles such as yours (with the right funding and program) and if your list is too long we can help you prune it.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by towbaynah(m): 9:07am On Dec 31, 2016
Scholastica16:

Like we have all tried to say in the past and even now: the chances of gaining admission is a holistic process and not just zeroed down to certain GRE scores or even a GPA. However, schools have a minimum GPA they work with for both undergraduate and graduate study and I think you can begin from there. Your 2'2 first degree, do you think when converted by WES could lie above 3.0/4.0 or thereabouts? That's one good indicator. Second, your masters' GPA that is strong is also an added advantage. If you have done any internships, publications or viable research experience they contribute more weightage than standardized test scores albeit yours is definitely competitive for most B-tier schools. I think you can guess by now that I am trying to say you are good to go and should have started looking for schools that match your profile.

Schools are realizing that graduate work is beyond having excellent test-taking skills. Some people can ace tests and still not complete graduate work because graduate work can be grueling and in so doing provide less room for people to gratify themselves with good grades. If you feel you are cut-out for this, then your chances are good.

Now please, don't ask people to recommend schools for you without bringing your own findings to the table as that would smack of laziness which is becoming the Nigerian way. With all that has been said here, go and find out schools that in recent trends have accepted profiles such as yours (with the right funding and program) and if your list is too long we can help you prune it.

Wow. Thanks a lot for your prompt response. I'll search for those schools and get back to the tthread. Thanks again.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by vikings809: 1:34pm On Dec 31, 2016
Scholastica16 sirRiddy

Thanks a million for your replies.

I thought it'd be too late to apply for fall 17, since we're already in Jan 17. Also most of the top 100 schools in Physics (US News), that I feel I have higher prospects of securing admission to, have ended registration.

I don't know if I can still meet the deadline for some others, since one'll still have to send transcripts to the schools and that could take a while. I was wondering of going for Spring 18 but don't know if funding will be available.

I'm in a pickle here.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 2:35pm On Dec 31, 2016
Scholastica16
sirRiddy
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by towbaynah(m): 6:56pm On Dec 31, 2016
vikings809:
Scholastica16 sirRiddy

I thought it'd be too late to apply for fall 17, since we're already in Jan 17. Also most of the top 100 schools in Physics (US News), that I feel I have higher prospects of securing admission to, have ended registration.

I don't know if I can still meet the deadline for some others, since one'll still have to send transcripts to the schools and that could take a while. I was wondering of going for Spring 18 but don't know if funding will be available.

I'm in a pickle here.

From what I've observed, most schools provide funding for students who meet the fall deadline. I wouldn't advise anybody to apply for admission in spring or any other time.

As for your transcript, I know most schools in the U.S ask for unofficial transcripts. That is, a scanned copy of your transcript to be uploaded to your application on the school's website. Your school will only need to send OFFICIAL transcripts after you've been given admission in the school you applied to.

The following schools have their fall deadlines late in January, early February or later in the year. Check to see if they offer your course:

Kent State University
University of Nebraska, Lincoln
University of Tennessee
Georgia State University

All the best.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 12:56am On Jan 01, 2017
Happy New Year my people! smiley

May the New Year bring with it good results, admissions and most especially free money funding... cheesy

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 1:05am On Jan 01, 2017
iCool:
Happy New Year my people! smiley

May the New Year bring with it good results, admissions and most especially free money funding... cheesy

Amen! Happy New Year to You too.

(1) (2) (3) ... (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.