Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,526 members, 7,801,463 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:33 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (207) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1345004 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 10:26pm On Mar 04, 2017
Uwc. If 2moro isn't too late. I am pretty tight now
Loverswater:

i av actually search for it but is always refering back to gre power prep which i have,
tanx for the advice on d gre score
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by femijon: 5:49am On Mar 05, 2017
THOUSANDS OF PROJECT MATERIALS FOR FREE DOWNLOAD

looking For Project materials to finish that project of yours

Visit:http://www.streaminet.com/research/

we have research papers free for download...we are research material aggregator

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 11:35am On Mar 05, 2017
Scholastica16:

Baba na your way o. No transcript on the visa thread, no feedback to the house say you dey comot. Covert things I see. I am sure andradaeze knew about it.

It is not fair o. Even the way you were coding it in your replies would have flown past the uninitiated.

My bad. Things happened so fast.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Loverswater(m): 1:13pm On Mar 05, 2017
aanexplus:
Uwc. If 2moro isn't too late. I am pretty tight now
once there is live, no time is late
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 1:30pm On Mar 05, 2017
happyday:

My bad. Things happened so fast.

Still apprise us. You are a vet on this thread. Imagine this thread without DanjaNinja and SirRiddy. Your experience and explanations of them will certainly help someone else. I am 99% sure a ton of the K-State applications and admissions are as a result of SirRiddy. And the reason many are not clamoring towards Bridgeport is because of DanjaNinja.

For someone like you who has contributed so much already; writes well and is very expressive, I am a little bit disappointed if I am being honest. I probably don't speak for myself too.

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 1:55pm On Mar 05, 2017
Scholastica16:

Still apprise us. You are a vet on this thread. Imagine this thread without DanjaNinja and SirRiddy. Your experience and explanations of them will certainly help someone else. I am 99% sure a ton of the K-State applications and admissions are as a result of SirRiddy. And the reason many are not clamoring towards Bridgeport is because of DanjaNinja.

For someone like you who has contributed so much already; writes well and is very expressive, I am a little bit disappointed if I am being honest. I probably don't speak for myself too.

Yes boss. You're right. I'll be doing my best to share my journey so far in the coming days.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:53pm On Mar 05, 2017
happyday:

Yes boss. You're right. I'll be doing my best to share my journey so far in the coming days.

Cheers!
We go dey wait cool
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:10pm On Mar 05, 2017
On my application update:
K-State: I sent a mail to Statistics Program Grad Coord asking for admission update. I was
informed I was on the wait-list for funding. The availability of funding will determine admission.

Bowling Green State University: Masters in Mathematics. Admitted, funding decision to come later.

7 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 5:45pm On Mar 05, 2017
andradaeze:
K-State: I sent a mail to Statistics Program Grad Coord asking for admission update. I was
informed I was on the wait-list for funding. The availability of funding will determine admission.

Bowling Green State University: Masters in Mathematics. Admitted, funding decision to come later.

Awesome! Very soon, you'll be writing schools to deny and accept offers. But before then honey, I wanna celebrate you specially today on the occasion of your birthday. Today.

Happy birthday sweetpie, may you never know a better last year. I so wish I could make the parry today, but no worry, next year's will be bam!

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 5:52pm On Mar 05, 2017
Scholastica16:

You are definitely not speaking for yourself alone. I am also disappointed but I just decided to be mute. I just wonder what would happen to this thread if we all were to disappear when we got what we wanted.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 5:56pm On Mar 05, 2017
Andradaeze, happy birthday o. I wish you good health, many happy returns, long life but no prosperity (as you have prospered enough).

Cheers.

BTW: congrats on the admits. Funding will definitely come. Hopefully faithfully, Ohio or Texas A&M will be positive as well. Faith is greater than hope. grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 7:36pm On Mar 05, 2017
andradaeze:

Congratulations and Happy Birthday dear. Two in one celebration grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 8:31pm On Mar 05, 2017
I made this post on the main usa student visa thread. As you prepare to study in the US, please note the following advise. You dont have to be in computer science either.

"If you intend to do a Masters in Computer Science in the Us and you do not have a first degree in computer science, i take God beg you, once you get here, dont skip these two courses/prerequistes: Intro to Computer Science and mostly importantly, "Data Structures". An intro to algorithm course is also necessary.

Computer Science is a deep and diverse field. All areas, from Artificial intelligence to database and standard applications programming (from windows to andriod) all require a good understanding of algorithms, data structures and some object oriented programming concepts (the latter is usually taugth in any standard data structure class).

One common mistake those with a non-computer science background make is to skip these topics beliving they can survive and learn these prerequisites on the go all in the name of cutting cost.

I repeat, Dont even think of taking any advanced level course until you have confidently understood the concepts taught in these courses. These are required "Prerequisites" and not "corequisites". You cannot learn as you go, you must already know these topics before you can take your regular graduate classes.

My first semester was a disaster of epic proportions because i failed to take these courses.
Imagine JJC like me taking classes on advanced database (i never even take database course before sef) and object oriented programming with c++. One thing is certain, you will struggle till the end of the semester and your grades would suffer greatly.

I have spoken with friends studying computer science from several universities and they all share the same opinion.

Please note, this is not Nigeria where your final exam makes up 70 percent of your final grade. Over here, your final exam is mostly 30-40% of your final grade. The rest is evenly split between your assignments, midterms, papers, projects and labs. In this amelika, to make an A, you need a score of 90 and above whereas in naija you need only 70 to make an A. The difference is like night and day.

So, for your own good, as soon as you arrive, approach your academic advisor and make them understand you dont have any background in computer science. This applies to every other discipline. Interact with your academic adviser as well as current students. Make them know your background and your limitations. Its not always about studying hard, sometimes for you to succeed, you need to "know what you dont know that you dont know". Only those with experience in that field can help you with that."

13 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 8:32pm On Mar 05, 2017
hublot:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6RHs-sBWHtYb0tKd0VLZF9mMXgyUWdqT0psb1EzMC1rd3U0/view

2017 list of Engineering ranking by US news

Some persons might need this ...

Courtesy : @Fredoricko

This is list so spot on!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by shayhune: 8:51pm On Mar 05, 2017
DanjaNinja:
I made this post on the main usa student visa thread. As you prepare to study in the US, please note the following advise. You dont have to be in computer science either.

"If you intend to do a Masters in Computer Science in the Us and you do not have a first degree in computer science, i take God beg you, once you get here, dont skip these two courses/prerequistes: Intro to Computer Science and mostly importantly, "Data Structures". An intro to algorithm course is also necessary.
"

Very true. For me, it was recently I realized that all I did during my undergraduate days was La cram, La pour, La forget. Having gained admission to the US, I took it upon myself to download Andela's Computer Science study curriculum for their applicants, studied it and understood the fundamentals of CS seamlessly. Except you're an alien, you can never scale through CS without understanding the fundamentals.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 9:31pm On Mar 05, 2017
So, after a while of posting here, I would like to share what I've learned and unlearned since coming to America.

First off, if you think I should have been more open and carried everyone along here, you're probably right. But not everything is as they seem. I, personally don't believe I've done something extraordinary, and it has been a dream all this while. I've always felt better applying my experience to help others, and not just tell them what I did. Cos I believe our mileage might vary.

Be that as it may, if you're still excepting admission/funding decisions, the application season for Fall 2017 is (almost gone) or gone for most schools, and the best you can do now is wait. Patiently. Most graduate admission committee members are also professors and lecturers who have classes to take, conferences to attend, presentations to make, proposals to write, and a bunch of other activities not related to research or their field.

Worse still, you can continue to remind them. If you can't settle, keep sending them emails to remind or inquire. They've been there, and would generally understand. Contact them within reason of course. No foul language or desperation. Only make sure it's to the right person (see; grad prog co-ord, or to your proposed advisor, if you have one already).

Moving on to my story, though I've started looking at post-BS options, it was my undergrad thesis advisor who encouraged me to write the GRE, as soon as I can. I took the test during my NYSC. It was a paper-based test in Benin. I went into details here: https://www.nairaland.com/1832477/how-achieve-high-scores-gre/47#40778602

tl;dr: I had 157/157/5.5. I was dissapointed. Let's just say I learnt a key lesson that day to always plan for eventualities. It was in November, and already planned to retake, after NYSC. I selected UArk, Purdue and two others, cos I loved the way they sounded! In short, for all intent and purposes, the first was an attempt. To prepare for the real 'thing'.

Or so I thought. Coming out of NYSC into an already jaded labour market, I grabbed the easiest job I could find. Just to not stay at home. My take-home couldn't take me anywhere. In case you're wondering, it was less than $30 a month. Which would definitely mean re-writing the test was a dream. Or writing the TOEFL. Or sending scores to WES. In short, everything I've always thought goes into a grad school application.

The cash I didn't have, I made up for it in time. Anytime I wasn't at work, I was always online, looking for ways to 'make sense' of my 314 GRE score. With no TOEFL.

Hence, I knew I needed an SoP as awesome as it can get. LORs that took the writers time to write. And a convincing story on why I wanted to do research. Not just 'study' in the US.

And for the next 6 months after my April passing out, I managed to do all of those. Such that by October, I knew I would be coming in the Spring for an MS in Bio Engr with full funding at LSU. I don't know how others do theirs, but God did mine.

Though I practiced with likely visa interview questions, I spent less than 30 secs with the Asian guy, before hearing those 'golden words'. I was more stressed up that day with the endless security checks by the actual interview.

Moving here was another another experience.

Not to talk of settling down here; getting used to the American English, adjusting to the laid-back academic settings here, understanding the nuances of American dating (and possibly getting a girl friend) . . ., opening bank accounts, getting an SSN, and actually starting research.

Damn, I gotta stop here!

Cheers!

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 9:38pm On Mar 05, 2017
happyday:
So, after a while of posting here, I would like to share what I've learned and unlearned since coming to America.

First off, if you think I should have been more open and carried everyone along here, you're probably right. But not everything is as they seem. I, personally don't believe I've done something extraordinary, and it has been a dream all this while. I've always felt better applying my experience to help others, and not just tell them what I did. Cos I believe our mileage might vary.

Be that as it may, if you're still excepting admission/funding decisions, the application season for Fall 2017 is (almost gone) or gone for most schools, and the best you can do now is wait. Patiently. Most graduate admission committee members are also professors and lecturers who have classes to take, conferences to attend, presentations to make, proposals to write, and a bunch of other activities not related to research or their field.

Worse still, you can continue to remind them. If you can't settle, keep sending them emails to remind or inquire. They've been there, and would generally understand. Contact them within reason of course. No foul language or desperation. Only make sure it's to the right person (see; grad prog co-ord, or to your proposed advisor, if you have one already).

Moving on to my story, though I've started looking at post-BS options, it was my undergrad thesis advisor who encouraged me to write the GRE, as soon as I can. I took the test during my NYSC. It was a paper-based test in Benin. I went into details here: https://www.nairaland.com/1832477/how-achieve-high-scores-gre/47#40778602

tl;dr: I had 157/157/5.5. I was dissapointed. Let's just say I learnt a key lesson that day to always plan for eventualities. It was in November, and already planned to retake, after NYSC. I selected UArk, Purdue and two others, cos I loved the way they sounded! In short, for all intent and purposes, the first was an attempt. To prepare for the real 'thing'.

Or so I thought. Coming out of NYSC into an already jaded labour market, I grabbed the easiest job I could find. Just to not stay at home. My take-home couldn't take me anywhere. In case you're wondering, it was less than $30 a month. Which would definitely mean re-writing the test was a dream. Or writing the TOEFL. Or sending scores to WES. In short, everything I've always thought goes into a grad school application.

The cash I didn't have, I made up for it in time. Anytime I wasn't at work, I was always online, looking for ways to 'make sense' of my 314 GRE score. With no TOEFL.

Hence, I knew I needed an SoP as awesome as it can get. LORs that took the writers time to write. And a convincing story on why I wanted to do research. Not just 'study' in the US.

And for the next 6 months after my April passing out, I managed to do all of those. Such that by October, I knew I would be coming in the Spring for an MS in Bio Engr with full funding at LSU. I don't know how others do theirs, but God did mine.

Though I practiced with likely visa interview questions, I spent less than 30 secs with the Asian guy, before hearing those 'golden words'. I was more stressed up that day with the endless security checks by the actual interview.

Moving here was another another experience.

Not to talk of settling down here; getting used to the American English, adjusting to the laid-back academic settings here, understanding the nuances of American dating (and possibly getting a girl friend) . . ., opening bank accounts, getting an SSN, and actually starting research.

Damn, I gotta stop here!

Cheers!
nice one Boss... Tap from your anointing....
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 9:44pm On Mar 05, 2017
ponpon:
nice one Boss... Tap from your anointing....

LOL. Ever loyal. grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 9:47pm On Mar 05, 2017
happyday:

LOL. Ever loyal. grin
full funding no be small thing. From LSU again and it's Ms. It's really the God hand

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cutemorgan(m): 9:58pm On Mar 05, 2017
Scholastica16:
Baba CuteMorgan, I have no access to my PMs. How can I be at your service?
Nor mind oga Oludare01 eh... Saw your mention when I logged in, and felt we could yarn ni sir
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cutemorgan(m): 10:01pm On Mar 05, 2017
Nice one oga happyday... Many more success stories by God grace smiley

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:12am On Mar 06, 2017
Thanks for your experience. You have always been a very helpful guy
and did not just come here for silly questions and demands, so I knew this was not you.
I did not want to disturb you for this cos it is harder settling down
when you come in during the Spring. The only girl/PhD student in my program who
came in this Spring see shege. Both the weather as well as the rigorous classes plus GA work
can make someone's brain reformat. Congratulations again smiley
Good luck in Baton Rouge.
happyday:

LOL. Ever loyal. grin

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:12am On Mar 06, 2017
Bros, how you dey? O to jo meta o
cutemorgan:
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 12:58am On Mar 06, 2017
ponpon:
full funding no be small thing. From LSU again and it's Ms. It's really the God hand

You nailed it bro! Thanks!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 12:59am On Mar 06, 2017
cutemorgan:

Amen my oga! And thanks to my honorable boss here, you still dey come here?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 1:02am On Mar 06, 2017
sirRiddy:
Thanks for your experience. You have always been a very helpful guy
and did not just come here for silly questions and demands, so I knew this was not you.
I did not want to disturb you for this cos it is harder settling down
when you come in during the Spring. The only girl/PhD student in my program who
came in this Spring see shege. Both the weather as well as the rigorous classes plus GA work
can make someone's brain reformat. Congratulations again smiley
Good luck in Baton Rouge.

Heheh, thanks. You're so on point. Plus no too much fun for this Spring. I guess I've to wait till Fall. How's Manhattan?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:27am On Mar 06, 2017
Manhattan is fine.

happyday:

Heheh, thanks. You're so on point. Plus no too much fun for this Spring. I guess I've to wait till Fall. How's Manhattan?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 2:02am On Mar 06, 2017
sirRiddy:
Manhattan is fine.

Cool!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OluDare01(m): 2:43am On Mar 06, 2017
Congrats man! Hope you're enjoying BTR? cheesy
happyday:

Cool!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OluDare01(m): 2:43am On Mar 06, 2017
Mentor!!!!
cutemorgan:
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:30am On Mar 06, 2017
happyday:

Awesome! Very soon, you'll be writing schools to deny and accept offers. But before then honey, I wanna celebrate you specially today on the occasion of your birthday. Today.

Happy birthday sweetpie, may you never know a better last year. I so wish I could make the parry today, but no worry, next year's will be bam!

Thank you for the birthday wishes, happyday cheesy.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:35am On Mar 06, 2017
Scholastica16:
Andradaeze, happy birthday o. I wish you good health, many happy returns, long life but no prosperity (as you have prospered enough).

Cheers.

BTW: congrats on the admits. Funding will definitely come. Hopefully faithfully, Ohio or Texas A&M will be positive as well. Faith is greater than hope. grin

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Scholastica16, who said I have prospered enough biko? Thank you for the birthday wishes. I appreciate.

Faithfully, I await decisions(admission + full funding) from other schools smiley.
Faith is greater than hope...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.