Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,566 members, 7,809,066 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:09 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (212) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1347749 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by okomotunde: 10:56am On Mar 10, 2017
No matter how hard you study,if you are not able to understand and remember what you studied ,you will still not excel in the examinations.The two factors are very necessary.To be very proficient in these two areas ,visit godsonakinnawofacebook/how-to-become-an-A-student-and-get-a-scholarship/
T
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sbrainy(m): 4:19pm On Mar 10, 2017
Please, I need help on transcript evaluation.
How do I evaluate by transcript by WES? How much is it? How long will it take to get to the school after the transcript is evaluated.

Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 7:01pm On Mar 10, 2017
Sbrainy:
Please, I need help on transcript evaluation.

How do I evaluate by transcript by WES?
How much is it?
How long will it take to get to the school after the transcript is evaluated.

Thanks

From d day I ordered for a copy of my evaluated transcript from WES to be sent to a school, to d day the school received it was approximately 3 days....so it doesn't take much time to get ur evaluated transcript across to a school in d US.
You will get all other necessary info here: www.wes.org

Should u have more specific question after checking d site, please don't hesitate to ask....

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 7:07pm On Mar 10, 2017
[quote author=fredoricko post=54408522][/quote]

Boss, congrats on ur admits....and sorry about d denial from UNL. I hope juicy funding comes from those admits soonest.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 7:13pm On Mar 10, 2017
Ndawe:
Good morning house, a quick update. I've received 3 decisions out of 4 applications:

Tennessee Tech: Admitted; admission letter was sent early this morning and funding decision will be known in the last week of March.
Michigan Tech: Denied sad. The email just dropped. Reason for denial: "There currently is no advisor available in your specified area of interest"
Clarkson Uni: Admitted (This is a private school though): Some funding was provided actually but not enough, so I may have to decline.

Still waiting on Mississippi State Uni.

*modified*

Congrats dear....I'm convinced you will get good funding from Tennessee Tech and/or Mississippi State Uni. Na just one juicy offer we need grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:16pm On Mar 10, 2017
seeker88:

Boss, congrats on ur admits....and sorry about d denial from UNL. I hope juicy funding comes from those admits soonest.
Thanks sir. I pray so too.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 7:30pm On Mar 10, 2017
2 more Admits and 1 denial from my end.

Admits:
Florida State University. No assistantship yet.
It was stated in d offer email that I MIGHT be contacted by a professor for assistantship not later than 1st May. **fingers crossed**

Wright State University with Tuition scholarship of $1,250 per semester for 4 semesters provided GPA is >= 3.0....bla bla. It doesn't look like a good option, cos d money no reach anywhere lipsrsealed. TAMUK offer seems better.
Then Denial;
Wayne State University. Reason was that they don't admit candidates without BS Mechanical Engineering into their MS Mechanical Engineering program. They advised me to apply for MS in Chemical or Material Engineering program instead......nothing much was lost as app fee was waived for me when I applied.

Decision from d main schools are still pending...

Success to ALL of us....

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 9:05pm On Mar 10, 2017
seeker88:

Admits:
It was stated in d offer email that I MIGHT be contacted by a professor for assistantship not later than 1st May. **fingers crossed**

Wright State University with Tuition scholarship of $1,250 per semester for 4 semesters provided GPA is >= 3.0....bla bla. It doesn't look like a good option, cos d money no reach anywhere lipsrsealed. TAMUK offer seems better.
Then Denial;
Wayne State University. Reason was that they don't admit candidates without BS Mechanical Engineering into their MS Mechanical Engineering program. They advised me to apply for MS in Chemical or Material Engineering program instead......nothing much was lost as app fee was waived for me when I applied.

Success to ALL of us....

Congratulations brother, m confident everything will end in praise.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 9:07pm On Mar 10, 2017
Ndawe:
Good morning house, a quick update. I've received 3 decisions out of 4 applications:

Tennessee Tech: Admitted; admission letter was sent early this morning and funding decision will be known in the last week of March.
Michigan Tech: Denied sad. The email just dropped. Reason for denial: "There currently is no advisor available in your specified area of interest"
Clarkson Uni: Admitted (This is a private school though): Some funding was provided actually but not enough, so I may have to decline.

*modified*

Congratulations madam, you can expect the funding decisions shortly

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ndawe(f): 9:15pm On Mar 10, 2017
You know this!! Thank you and all the best to everyone of us.
seeker88:

Congrats dear....I'm convinced you will get good funding from Tennessee Tech and/or Mississippi State Uni. Na just one juicy offer we need grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ndawe(f): 9:15pm On Mar 10, 2017
Thank you.
Cephas0009:

Congratulations madam, you can expect the funding decisions shortly
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ndawe(f): 9:16pm On Mar 10, 2017
Congratulations and more good news to come!!!
seeker88:

Admits:

Then Denial;

Success to ALL of us....

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by penroll55(m): 11:30pm On Mar 10, 2017
For all those finding it difficult to get the GRE material,you can get it for free from www.study-preps.com

Also if you can afford at least low tuition try checking valparaiso university, the school is very understanding and you can register for your first semester without paying any tuition.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 1:03am On Mar 11, 2017
Thanks, @ Cephas0009 and Ndawe.
Everthing will surely end in praise for all of us....

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by preciouschydo: 8:06am On Mar 11, 2017
I registered for GRE on January, i hardly had time to study and my exam is by 18th this month. I wish to reschedule? Is it a good call although the cost is high?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:48am On Mar 11, 2017
preciouschydo:
I registered for GRE on January, i hardly had time to study and my exam is by 18th this month. I wish to reschedule? Is it a good call although the cost is high?
If you plan on making late application for the fall 2017 semester, then this is my advice.
Take a practice test, preferably power prep 2 or Magoosh. If you can get anywhere between 305-310+ then I'll encourage you to study intensively in the last few days leading up to the exam.
But on the other hand if you're not looking at putting in applications for the fall 2017 semester, then please by all means reschedule the exam; not by just a few weeks but allow sufficient time to prepare. In my experience, the GRE test knowledge that has been acquired overtime through practice, and unless you're a savant, a few weeks of preparation won't cut it. Take your time, practice practice and practice some more. Their is no short cut to acing the exam.
I wish you success in your endeavors.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:55pm On Mar 11, 2017
Scholastica16, how have you been? I've been rejected by KSU, I hope you got in. Any other decisions so far?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 3:37pm On Mar 11, 2017
adetola007:
Scholastica16, how have you been? I've been rejected by KSU, I hope you got in. Any other decisions so far?

Same bro, yesterday in fact. I am the man of the year grin

The remainder 5 said this

1. Utah- mid March
2. Houston- might be Late March or April as it is not rolling.
3. Michigan- would be communicated via portal
4. Mississippi- still being reviewed will be communicated when ready.
5. Florida- same as 4.

Keeping fingers crossed sha. Hirschfelder took the K-state from us. cheesy
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:07pm On Mar 11, 2017
Scholastica16:

1. Utah- mid March
5. Florida- same as 4.

Even I will be dissapointed if hirschfelder didn't get in with his awesome score. Let's hope for ours, we'll surely get in by God's grace. Admission is just competitive this year because with 332, hirschfelder shouldn't be hustling for KSU with us, one should be looking for the likes of MIT, UCB and Stanford with his score.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 4:30pm On Mar 11, 2017
adetola007:

Even I will be dissapointed if hirschfelder didn't get in with his awesome score. Let's hope for ours, we'll surely get in by God's grace. Admission is just competitive this year because with 332, hirschfelder shouldn't be hustling for KSU with us, one should be looking for the likes of MIT, UCB and Stanford with his score.

You are very right. Slightly disappointed that I wasn't waitlisted but I am guessing the PhD candidates have accepted the offer maybe. Apart from being very competitive the slots are not that many to begin with. If I am correct they may not be up to 20 PhDs in the chemical engineering program and I doubt they would have taken 3 Nigerians in that pool at once.

Where is EssayHelp? He is another 332-scorer and I am curious to know the schools he applied to and how the decisions are coming up.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DoTheNeedful: 4:55pm On Mar 11, 2017
adetola007:

I have been following this thread for over two months and I must commend those of you keeping it alive. I check it at least 2-3 times a day and I have been blessed by it.
On the issue of GRE score, I think the score should not be over-emphasized above some other key determinants and variables in the application process especially for PhD admission. Infact, once you can make the minimum required score for a program then you are good to go.

Most adcoms for PhD programs place a lot of emphasis on SOP and LOR.

Your SOP must be very clear as to why you want to go for PhD and you must be able to narrow down totally to what you want to research on and why. You can also identify some unanswered questions in your area(s) of interest. Publications can help one's application also.

Another very key aspect for Ph.D is the LOR. Unfortunately, many of our lecturers in Nigeria don't know how to write solid LOR. Hence, it is important that you write a draft yourself the way it should be written, give them to your recommenders and if possible be there with them when they are completing the recommendation form.

Apart from the above, research well about a program before applying into it. Visit sites like www.thegradcafe.com to check the average profile of applicants admitted or rejected by your school and program of interest in the past. I will also advise that you check sites like https://www.petersons.com/search/ to check the admission rate of programs you want to apply. If the admission rate for a program is 15%,it won't be advisable for someone with a mediocre profile to apply to such program.

I know that most things I have put up here are not new to most people that have applied but it can be useful to those that want to apply in the future.

After all is said and done, there is a big factor of grace or luck in getting admission into graduate programs. That's why one might get rejected by a low or unranked program and get admitted into a more prestigious one with the same profile. In some other cases too, your profile and every other thing may be fine but there might be a very few number of slots available for admission.

Good luck to everyone expecting favourable decisions and those that have already.

12 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:44pm On Mar 11, 2017
Scholastica16:

1. Utah- mid March
5. Florida- same as 4.

Your admission letter for Utah is probably sitting in your mail box now. I know Utah has begun rolling out decisions for Chemical Engineering today. Come share the good news sir
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by daejih: 7:36pm On Mar 11, 2017
Ndawe:

*modified*
Hello Ndawe, Congrats on your admission. I wish you a positive funding decision. It will all end in testimonies. I applied to Michigan Tech too. Got their mail yesterday and was denied for same reason.
Still expecting decisions from Uni of Georgia and Uni of Calgary.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kinematicguy: 11:30pm On Mar 11, 2017
Scholastica16:

1. Utah- mid March
5. Florida- same as 4.

Sorry bro about the rejects. I pray you get good funding from the rest, that deciding which to choose should be the problem.

Anyway what I have to say is that, if you're applying to a program that relies on the Energy industry for funding, then you might be a bit shocked this application cycle. Because of the oil industry downturn, the companies are not funding as before and also because of the depressed hiring in the industry - a lot of equally bright minds have been layed off since 2014/2015, most waiting for the oil price to peak now and seeing that, that is not in sight yet are going back to graduate school. Hence you're competing with equally excellent students, with prolly 4-5yrs industry experience in relevant research areas to the program they are applying to in International reputable oil firms. This gives for a more competitive admission cycle than usual.

Most of what I said above was related to me this monday by my supposed to be potential advisor of a program- I applied to their Chevron center of research excellence and the centre takes in 4-6 new students usually but this year just one. And he explained why to me(I have kept in touch with him). He didn't take me, he chose another student, although I'm yet to receive an official letter from the grad sch. He said he felt he shd tell me before I receive the official letter and also if I can contact other profs before the official letter. Unfortunately, no one has offered.

I just pray other schools come through for us all.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:44am On Mar 12, 2017
fredoricko:

Your admission letter for Utah is probably sitting in your mail box now. I know Utah has begun rolling out decisions for Chemical Engineering today. Come share the good news sir

I am encouraged by your confidence in me sir. Unfortunately, nothing was logged in my email. I did see the gradcafe reports dated 11th March but couldn't place the profiles so I can only speculate. Perhaps as time unfolds we would know. And if it happens that I am sidelined, then so be it.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:52am On Mar 12, 2017
kinematicguy:

Sorry bro about the rejects. I pray you get good funding from the rest, that deciding which to choose should be the problem.

Anyway what I have to say is that, if you're applying to a program that relies on the Energy industry for funding, then you might be a bit shocked this application cycle. Because of the oil industry downturn, the companies are not funding as before and also because of the depressed hiring in the industry - a lot of equally bright minds have been layed off since 2014/2015, most waiting for the oil price to peak now and seeing that, that is not in sight yet are going back to graduate school. Hence you're competing with equally excellent students, with prolly 4-5yrs industry experience in relevant research areas to the program they are applying to in International reputable oil firms. This gives for a more competitive admission cycle than usual.

Most of what I said above was related to me this monday by my supposed to be potential advisor of a program- I applied to their Chevron center of research excellence and the centre takes in 4-6 new students usually but this year just one. And he explained why to me(I have kept in touch with him). He didn't take me, he chose another student, although I'm yet to receive an official letter from the grad sch. He said he felt he shd tell me before I receive the official letter and also if I can contact other profs before the official letter. Unfortunately, no one has offered.

I just pray other schools come through for us all.

Very interesting and informative. The truth is, I resonate with everything you have said here. I never did think my profile was a stunner but I didn't think it was wack also. So momentarily, the "rejects" hit a nerve and like everything ephemeral they left after sometime.

My program is chemical engineering. Not too oil and gas dependent but could be, based on how one aims to use it. I have some experience in the sector as well but it may not impress a professor in the US compared to the calibre of people you just described above. The prayer is to get a break some how some way. A friend of mine in almost the same predicament reeled out some of the prayer points still unanswered and I laughed about his despondency but reflecting on it, he has a point.

The summary of all I am saying is, I am hopeful like you mate- with particular reference to your last statement. Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:44am On Mar 12, 2017
Scholastica16:

I am encouraged by your confidence in me sir. Unfortunately, nothing was logged in my email. I did see the gradcafe reports dated 11th March but couldn't place the profiles so I can only speculate. Perhaps as time unfolds we would know. And if it happens that I am sidelined, then so be it.

Sidelined ke, I checked some of their profiles and trust me, they're at par with yours. Whenever you feel down, just remember you only need one. It is well.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 9:53am On Mar 12, 2017
Now I am getting nervous. As of today, no acceptance, no rejection (KSU & UofH)cry

But I still remain hopeful . I pray everything works out in our favor @ d end

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:23pm On Mar 12, 2017
Congratulations to all those with admits. The numbers keep increasing, hence I can't keep up and do mentions.

To all those without admit yet, keep the light burning. It is not yet over. The admission season officially ends April 15th and most programs would make decisions on the first week of April. And please remember, we will only attend one school out of the many schools we have applied to.

All the best, folks. #TeamFall2017.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kinematicguy: 1:43pm On Mar 12, 2017
Scholastica16:

Very interesting and informative. The truth is, I resonate with everything you have said here. I never did think my profile was a stunner but I didn't think it was wack also. So momentarily, the "rejects" hit a nerve and like everything ephemeral they left after sometime.

My program is chemical engineering. Not too oil and gas dependent but could be, based on how one aims to use it. I have some experience in the sector as well but it may not impress a professor in the US compared to the calibre of people you just described above. The prayer is to get a break some how some way. A friend of mine in almost the same predicament reeled out some of the prayer points still unanswered and I laughed about his despondency but reflecting on it, he has a point.

The summary of all I am saying is, I am hopeful like you mate- with particular reference to your last statement. Cheers.

I think your profile is competitive enough for the schools you applied to.

I pray we get good offers.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:09pm On Mar 12, 2017
please i'm working on my SOP and i have no research experience but its required angry angry .........................how can i go about it.

any help? sad sad
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by asaphkocube(m): 5:38pm On Mar 12, 2017
Scholastica16:

I don't know if they have centers in Ibadan but you can migrate the ETS website in a way to check for available centers in Nigeria.

Please I want know to the acceptable ID to enter for GRE examination at JKK center Lagos.
Is Temporary National ID card acceptable?
Is parmanent Voters Card acceptable?

(1) (2) (3) ... (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.