Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,878 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:51 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (223) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1336983 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 12:48pm On Apr 08, 2017
Congrats to ipledge01 and nastydamus. Wishing u all d best with your visa processing. cool

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by reDazey(f): 3:34pm On Apr 08, 2017
drhopeful:
Second offer from University of Virginia. Fully funded with a research fellowship + RAship. Rather late because I already accepted Penn State after waiting on Virginia for soooooo long. Spoke with my super nice POI from Virginia and he really wants to work with me smiley and putting me in a big fix. Lol. Oh! And I already have my I-20 from Penn and paid SEVIS. Ah well... I don't know. grin

Scholastica16, how far for your end?
Congratulations drhopeful, na only you waka come oh. See offers chasing you up and down.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by reDazey(f): 3:36pm On Apr 08, 2017
Scholastica16:

I claim it. Did you still take the GMAT as planned? I know you posted here once that you were considering it early this year.

BTW, I am keeping the 'faith' alive. Faith is stronger than hope. grin

We are still "faithing" this out...

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by EmanA1928(m): 3:58pm On Apr 08, 2017
drhopeful:
Second offer from University of Virginia. Fully funded with a research fellowship + RAship. Rather late because I already accepted Penn State after waiting on Virginia for soooooo long. Spoke with my super nice POI from Virginia and he really wants to work with me smiley and putting me in a big fix. Lol. Oh! And I already have my I-20 from Penn and paid SEVIS. Ah well... I don't know. grin
Congratulations drhopeful

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 5:00pm On Apr 08, 2017
Sbrainy:
@dr hopeful congrats

@scholastica16, I pray everything works for your good

Pls I will like to ask, this April 15, is it that all U.S schools must complete their admission decision by then? What about those waiting for decision on TA or GA or research assistantship? do dey all get responses by the April 15

co ask
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by shayhune: 6:26pm On Apr 08, 2017
drhopeful:

Congrats drhopeful. I guess those hairs have all grown back now grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ndawe(f): 7:43pm On Apr 08, 2017
Woooow. This is the kind of fix we are praying for na. Congratulations and all the best with Visa processing.
drhopeful:

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by adroitish: 7:46pm On Apr 08, 2017
I did my GRE today, and I thought i should share. It wasn't a very pleasant experience at the Surulere centre... We started a little late, and while typing my argument essay, the network disconnected causing me to lose part of what I had typed and disrupting my thought process.
The first set of verbal and quantitative were fine but I was unusually slow in my quantitative. I couldn't answer the last question. I took a break after that and my network disconnected again. This was also unsettling. I was already developing a headache by this time.
I pushed on till my second quantitative where I was so much slower not answering at least four questions properly. I was devastated by this. It was destabilized for my final verbal section and I managed to stay focused. The verbal and quantitative sessions I did after the initial two were so much harder.
Final scores VR - 158, QR - 158, awaiting AWA. I want to appreciate everyone on this group cos tho I've never commented, I gained a lot. Now unto the applications

17 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 8:00pm On Apr 08, 2017
adroitish:
I did my GRE today, and I thought i should share. It wasn't a very pleasant experience at the Surulere centre... We started a little late, and while typing my argument essay, the network disconnected causing me to lose part of what I had typed and disrupting my thought process.
The first set of verbal and quantitative were fine but I was unusually slow in my quantitative. I couldn't answer the last question. I took a break after that and my network disconnected again. This was also unsettling. I was already developing a headache by this time.
I pushed on till my second quantitative where I was so much slower not answering at least four questions properly. I was devastated by this. It was destabilized for my final verbal section and I managed to stay focused. The verbal and quantitative sessions I did after the initial two were so much harder.
Final scores VR - 158, QR - 158, awaiting AWA. I want to appreciate everyone on this group cos tho I've never commented, I gained a lot. Now unto the applications
congrats Spring 18, I guess and I hope you didn't waste your four slots free score report...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by adroitish: 8:25pm On Apr 08, 2017
Spring or fall 18 sha... I only sent scores to only top schools tho. Toronto, British Columbia, Harvard and Chicago. I didn't have any safe schools at hand. May still have to send to other schools later
ponpon:
congrats Spring 18, I guess and I hope you didn't waste your four slots free score report...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by babyfaceafrica: 9:46pm On Apr 08, 2017
adroitish:
Spring or fall 18 sha... I applied to only top schools tho. Toronto, British Columbia, Harvard and Chicago. I didn't have any safe schools at hand. May still have to send to other schools later
bros....you better send scores to other schools, those top schools you picked are very competitive...I pray you enter though,because apart from GRE...a lot of things also counts....don't waste this good score ,send to other schools..wish you the best!!!!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 9:59pm On Apr 08, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
bros....you better go send axorws to other schools, those top schools you picked are very competitive...I pray you enter though,because apart from GRE...a lot of things also counts....don't waste this good score ,send to other schools..wish you the best!!!!
very true spread risks, but I know a 316 that entered Stanford Fall 17.. The overall admission package is germane
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by adroitish: 10:11pm On Apr 08, 2017
What's Azores pls? My error tho. I meant sent score not apply. I'm yet to apply to any school
babyfaceafrica:
bros....you better go send axorws to other schools, those top schools you picked are very competitive...I pray you enter though,because apart from GRE...a lot of things also counts....don't waste this good score ,send to other schools..wish you the best!!!!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by adroitish: 10:12pm On Apr 08, 2017
What's axorws pls? My error tho. I meant sent score not apply. I'm yet to apply to any school
babyfaceafrica:
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by babyfaceafrica: 10:16pm On Apr 08, 2017
adroitish:
What's Azores pls? My error tho. I meant sent score not apply. I'm yet to apply to any school
I meant scores...sorry error..please send scores to other schools
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by adroitish: 10:20pm On Apr 08, 2017
Here's my profile tho, maybe you guys can help guide me with the application process. I'm looking towards spring or fall admission next year, something fully funded with possible TA/RA
I'm a medical doctor who graduated from the University of Ilorin in 2015. Degree is unclassified.
I'm interested in doing a masters or PhD straight if possible in a public health related field in US or Canada.
I'm currently doing my NYSC in a research institute.
Done IELTS overall band score of 8, with lowest individual band of 7.5
Hoping to do some research work where I serve this year as a research assistant.
Been involved in volunteer medical work and blood donation drives if that counts for anything.
So pls guys, any advice or help I can get
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DMainMan: 11:32pm On Apr 08, 2017
Guys, can you advise me on where to go;
University of Utah in USA or University of Alberta, Canada if granted full funding in both?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by revenant: 11:56pm On Apr 08, 2017
[quote author=DMainMan post=55395617]Guys, can you advise me on where to go;
University of Utah in USA or University of Alberta, Canada if granted full funding in both?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:13am On Apr 09, 2017
DMainMan:

Trumpland grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OluDare01(m): 2:00am On Apr 09, 2017
Both are good schools so the ball is in your court lol.
If you wan a quick route to PR, Canny is the best.
DMainMan:
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by taiye4real: 2:11am On Apr 09, 2017
adroitish:

Good scores,next thing is LOR,SOP ,previous work experience .Send scores to all University that offer courses related to your area of interest.
Contact the International Student section of each school.
Make enquiry about the programme.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by abumeinben(m): 6:41am On Apr 09, 2017
DMainMan:

If you're into Engineering,that's got a tie with oil and gas, that'll be Alberta.

If you're not, that'll still be Alberta.

Thank me later.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 7:26am On Apr 09, 2017
reDazey:

We are still "faithing" this out...

You are informed "Madam New Moniker".

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 7:27am On Apr 09, 2017
Sbrainy:
@dr hopeful congrats

@scholastica16, I pray everything works for your good

Pls I will like to ask, this April 15, is it that all U.S schools must complete their admission decision by then? What about those waiting for decision on TA or GA or research assistantship? do dey all get responses by the April 15

I appreciate as always. I wish you the same as well.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 7:28am On Apr 09, 2017
TheZed:
Lord this is what we all pray for...congrats ma'am

Scholastica16 goodnews is almost here. I can't wait to read about your anxieties, thoughts during the waiting process. The wait isn't easy, especially with such a great profile. We are all in prayers with you.

cry

Reading this: moments I live for.

God bless you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 7:29am On Apr 09, 2017
miella:

Yes I did but my score was not that good. Though, I got an offer recently despite the low score but I'm planning towards fall 2018 now (I'm working on some stuff and not yet through with it). I might likely write GRE also maybe I can get a better offer towards fall 2018.

Whatever you are working on Miss, we are right behind you.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 7:45am On Apr 09, 2017
drhopeful:

Honestly, barring the convincing pitches from the Virginia POI, if both offers came at the same time, it would be a no-brainer. Penn State all the way, based on rankings. With the current situation, if Virginia came first, then that would be it especially that I had no hope for Penn State since no one spoke to me. If both came at the same time, and with the crowning pitch I got yesterday, I would have been swayed towards Virginia. It's actually quite interesting that both POIs schooled together through their PhDs and know each other very well. So the Virginia Prof had nothing but very nice things to say about the Penn State POI. His speech ended with 'Whatever you decide, trust me, you won't be making a bad decision', LOL.

I am also optimistic that by April 15, you will receive offers. You sound like you even have something already and just waiting for it to be official. Congrats in advance!!!! I am still waitlisted in Ohio State which was even one of my top choices; waiting till April 15 to hear what they have to say

Yea, I see your points and they are valid. Someone told me the environment around Penn State is boring but you must understand that he is a jaiye jaiye kinda guy. Another reason I asked is because UVa appears to be offering more moola (as per fellowship +RA) but I am sure money is not a motivation for you.

Who am I kidding Penn State is too big a school for anyone to turn them down and I am almost certain I would have come to the same decision.

I emboldened that last part to shout a big amen. It really means alot to me when I get all these support from you guys. I sound like I have strong faith (and yes I do) and I am certain to share my experiences with the house soonest.

Haba, you are still waiting for Ohio? But you don already accept Penn state na? What will you do if Ohio accepts you with full-funding as well?

Besides, I thought you applied to 6 schools - why aren't you waiting on the decisions of Carnegie Mellon and what's the last one?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 7:49am On Apr 09, 2017
adroitish:

Congrats Adroitish. Great scores and great school choices. Like someone said however, mix it up a bit and go for a couple safe schools as these admission cycles are sometimes unpredictable or downright precarious.

Even if I recommend you should give Spring a chance, understand that funding opportunities then are almost non-existent. A more apropos time therefore would be against fall of 2018. Congrats again.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 7:52am On Apr 09, 2017
adroitish:
Here's my profile tho, maybe you guys can help guide me with the application process. I'm looking towards spring or fall admission next year, something fully funded with possible TA/RA
I'm a medical doctor who graduated from the University of Ilorin in 2015. Degree is unclassified.
I'm interested in doing a masters or PhD straight if possible in a public health related field in US or Canada.
I'm currently doing my NYSC in a research institute.
Done IELTS overall band score of 8, with lowest individual band of 7.5
Hoping to do some research work where I serve this year as a research assistant.
Been involved in volunteer medical work and blood donation drives if that counts for anything.
So pls guys, any advice or help I can get

Cc SirRiddy

What's your take? Based on Logistics being on ground and having more knowledge about these things than most of us. grin

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:04am On Apr 09, 2017
DMainMan:

This poses a conundrum. UofA is higher ranked than Utah but individual programs could be otherwise - for instance, Chemical Engineering program in Utah is better funded and higher ranked than it is in Alberta.

Alberta is quite renowned in the Oil and Gas sector but overall you have better job opportunities in the US than in Canada.

If you look out for such things like Taxes and health then you pay more taxes in Canada but you are afforded way better and cheaper health care than you would in US.

Your contemporaries in Canada will earn less than you in terms of salary cap on graduation and your degree in the US will pull more weight in Canada, than your Canadian degree will do in the US.

Salt-lake city could get really cold but I think Alberta just about edges it in that department.

Lastly, Canada's immigration policy is more receptive than what obtains in the US so the path to obtaining a PR is easier but it will be politic to consider the life you would live after getting the PR as well. You can also juxtapose your findings with the knowledge of the crazy guy that is currently directing the affairs in the US and how his intended policies may affect you.

7 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 1:20pm On Apr 09, 2017
Scholastica16:

Yea, I see your points and they are valid. Someone told me the environment around Penn State is boring but you must understand that he is a jaiye jaiye kinda guy. Another reason I asked is because UVa appears to be offering more moola (as per fellowship +RA) but I am sure money is not a motivation for you.

Who am I kidding Penn State is too big a school for anyone to turn them down and I am almost certain I would have come to the same decision.

I emboldened that last part to shout a big amen. It really means alot to me when I get all these support from you guys. I sound like I have strong faith (and yes I do) and I am certain to share my experiences with the house soonest.

Haba, you are still waiting for Ohio? But you don already accept Penn state na? What will you do if Ohio accepts you with full-funding as well?

Besides, I thought you applied to 6 schools - why aren't you waiting on the decisions of Carnegie Mellon and what's the last one?
I might sound crazy but after 2 sleepless nights of thorough contemplation, I think I will have to resign the Penn State appointment. Yes, I have spent about 300k to send transcripts, ship I-20 and paid reservation on an apartment lease but it's really about what I want out of the PhD program. The stipend Virginia is offering is actually a little less than Penn but it's a GRA that is guaranteed till I finish my program so long as I maintain 3.0GPA, and the research fellowship covers all tuition fees and health insurance. On top of that, my POI guarantees funding for travel for conferences, and pushes his students to deliver poster presentations and publish papers every year. He seems to invest a lot of time in his students and I really like that. And in that department, there are 3 other Profs in the same research area. That encourages sharing of information and the students can always assist and encourage each other.

On the Other hand, Penn State offers a GTA for the first year and you are supposed to explore research areas within your first year and hopefully match a Prof that can offer you GRA. If that fails, then you are stuck with GTA till you find GRA or maybe till the end of your program. In my case, there is only 1 Prof in my research area. So the big question is ...what if she does not have funding? And I remember her telling me last 2 years when I was just exploring that she had no funding and that if I were to apply and be accepted, my only hope would be the departmental GTA which is what is happening now. I tried to contact her again during this application process but she never responded. So I don't know if situations have changed.

My main objective of studying for a PhD is build research skills and I want to start developing that from day 1. That will even facilitate an early completion of the program. I don't want to be stuck 'building communication skills' and at the end of the first year, I can't even set up a simple experiment grin and no headway on how to start my research. The other good thing about Virginia is that in my 3rd/4th year, I will be required to serve partly as a TA to build communication skills. That way, it's like getting the best of both worlds.

Whilst Carnegie Mellon rejected me, I was never going to go there because they are not strong in my research area. In fact, they don't even offer it. I know I might sound silly but I just wanted to test it because Nastydamus was going to apply there and he had my same GRE scores, LOL. The last school is UPitt, no news from that end at all and frankly, I can't be bothered.

No, I am not waiting for Ohio. I spent my money and time to apply and I want to know what they eventually decide. It's also a fully funded program through strictly GRAs.

In the end, Penn State is higher ranked than UVA but I don't think the difference is so significant. I don't want to join a program that I am not really happy with just because of a 'little bit more name' grin. And I really hope that I am making the right decision. It's the immensity of my contribution to knowledge that will give me Green Card wink (if Trump go gree) and a rewarding career in research.

Sorry for my long speech this hot Sunday afternoon!

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jaybiz007(m): 2:21pm On Apr 09, 2017
drhopeful:
I might sound crazy but after 2 sleepless nights of thorough contemplation, I think I will have to resign the Penn State appointment. Yes, I have spent about 300k to send transcripts, ship I-20 and paid reservation on an apartment lease but it's really about what I want out of the PhD program. The stipend Virginia is offering is actually a little less than Penn but it's a GRA that is guaranteed till I finish my program so long as I maintain 3.0GPA, and the research fellowship covers all tuition fees and health insurance. On top of that, my POI guarantees funding for travel for conferences, and pushes his students to deliver poster presentations and publish papers every year. He seems to invest a lot of time in his students and I really like that. And in that department, there are 3 other Profs in the same research area. That encourages sharing of information and the students can always assist and encourage each other.

On the Other hand, Penn State offers a GTA for the first year and you are supposed to explore research areas within your first year and hopefully match a Prof that can offer you GRA. If that fails, then you are stuck with GTA till you find GRA or maybe till the end of your program. In my case, there is only 1 Prof in my research area. So the big question is ...what if she does not have funding? And I remember her telling me last 2 years when I was just exploring that she had no funding and that if I were to apply and be accepted, my only hope would be the departmental GTA which is what is happening now. I tried to contact her again during this application process but she never responded. So I don't know if situations have changed.

My main objective of studying for a PhD is build research skills and I want to start developing that from day 1. That will even facilitate an early completion of the program. I don't want to be stuck 'building communication skills' and at the end of the first year, I can't even set up a simple experiment grin and no headway on how to start my research. The other good thing about Virginia is that in my 3rd/4th year, I will be required to serve partly as a TA to build communication skills. That way, it's like getting the best of both worlds.

Whilst Carnegie Mellon rejected me, I was never going to go there because they are not strong in my research area. In fact, they don't even offer it. I know I might sound silly but I just wanted to test it because Nastydamus was going to apply there and he had my same GRE scores, LOL. The last school is UPitt, no news from that end at all and frankly, I can't be bothered.

No, I am not waiting for Ohio. I spent my money and time to apply and I want to know what they eventually decide. It's also a fully funded program through strictly GRAs.

In the end, Penn State is higher ranked than UVA but I don't think the difference is so significant. I don't want to join a program that I am not really happy with just because of a 'little bit more name' grin. And I really hope that I am making the right decision. It's the immensity of my contribution to knowledge that will give me Green Card wink (if Trump go gree) and a rewarding career in research.

Sorry for my long speech this hot Sunday afternoon!

To start with, congratulations on your offers sis. You worked for it and yes, you deserve it! If all what you stated above represent the true situation of things, then UVA should be your choice.

Oga scholastica16, no vex sey I shook my mouth for wetin no concern me oo grin . Her success story is too sweet to ignore.

PS: I'm still hoping 'faithing' on funding. embarassed

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.