Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,518 members, 7,808,889 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:43 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (226) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1347670 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:45pm On Apr 15, 2017
opara1491:
Hey Everyone
Good morning.
I and a group of students at Boston University created a forum/social media website to accommodate the students in Nigerian universities. We know the general University system is not stable and students are often ignored because they often lack a centralized voice. We created Collegelloc to help them connect closely with each other and maximize the strength they have as students to fight for what they need and utilize their university education to its fullest.

The website is: https://www.collegelloc.com

The Nigerian youth deserve more than the country is doing for them. They can achieve this with a one voice, together. That's our motive; we are the future.
What is the point of this website exactly, the reasons you gave up there sounds vague and threads like nairaland are connecting Nigerian students and Nigerians at large already..
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:48pm On Apr 15, 2017
Allylic:
i want to pay my SEVIS fee bt i need some1 in USA who can pay it for me in dollars..promise to pay the naira equivalent to the person's naija bank account...
PLS who knws anybody in Louisiana state university, Baton Rouge...pls i need a contact asap...thanks
Go to the USA Visa thread, you should find someone to pay for you and you dont exactly need someone in LSU to pay, anybody abroad can make the payment. The likelihood of finding someone here is low
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by keduduka1234: 4:44pm On Apr 15, 2017
Hi guys,
God bless you all on this thread!
Please I'm planning to apply for a good PhD package in the U.S.
My interested discipline is Biochemistry / Cancer Biology.
I know we have them Ivy league schools, but I'm looking to apply to some regular schools with a good program.
Please can anyone kindly advice as to any school he/she may recommend?

Thank you... smiley
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:06pm On Apr 15, 2017
keduduka1234:
Hi guys,
God bless you all on this thread!
Please I'm planning to apply for a good PhD package in the U.S.
My interested discipline is Biochemistry / Cancer Biology.
I know we have them Ivy league schools, but I'm looking to apply to some regular schools with a good program.
Please can anyone kindly advice as to any school he/she may recommend?

Thank you... smiley
You need to do the work yourself, The school that works for A might not work for B because we all have different dreams and aspirations..What if someone gives you a school you cant afford or a school that cant give you funding?So get to work and search for schools that meet your dreams et al, Imean Phd is an intensive research program, if you cant research schools by yourself now, then there is a problem somewhere. I understand your point wanting to get first hand info about schools but we all have different criteria. The best thing to do is research schools yourself based on your own criteria and come back here to ask if there is any red flag or experience of people that have applied to that school. If you don't have any idea about the whole processand to save you some stress start from this website http://graddecision.org/ to know the application process, 2) Search for schools using a) www.msinus.com b)www.gradschools.com c)www.usnews.com d) www.4icu.org

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by keduduka1234: 6:34pm On Apr 15, 2017
Thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheGreat342: 7:23pm On Apr 15, 2017
Hello,

Please, after paying the SEVIS fee, will someone still pay visa application fee and if yes, how much is the visa application fee?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:47pm On Apr 15, 2017
TheGreat342:
Hello,

Please, after paying the SEVIS fee, will someone still pay visa application fee and if yes, how much is the visa application fee?
yes both are different. The visa fee should be about 54,400 or so, it around the fifties. Check online
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:25am On Apr 16, 2017
Hello everyone, I want reschedule my gre exam due to a complicated health issue.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OGreene: 9:12am On Apr 16, 2017
Scholastica16 have you heard back? Why not call the dept, tell them you are waiting for a feedback and still interested.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tunapawizzy: 10:21pm On Apr 16, 2017
Good evening people. Please I want to write gre and toefl and I need anyone with good materials to send me some....thanks a lot. My address is ololadebabs@gmail.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 10:22pm On Apr 16, 2017
tescoman90:
Hello everyone, I want reschedule my gre exam due to a complicated health issue.

Then, do it.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by adroitish: 9:36am On Apr 17, 2017
AWA results came in 4.0/6. Didn't prepare tho so I'm not disappointed. So 158,158,4. Masters in Public Health, full funding or PhD if possible. Thanks everyone.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by toprealman: 9:38am On Apr 17, 2017
nastydamus:
Hi everyone,

Been following this thread, although from the shadows. Wanted to write the GRE this month but couldn't get a slot anywhere in PH so I had to travel to Lagos to write on the 13th.

Got to the JKK building quite early and then the wait and anxiety started; can't say why but I was feeling uneasy about the test, not like it was going to be my first or last exam in this life sef. grin

Anyway, as we joined the queue to be screened before commencing the test, the people that were screened first had already started typing away. I got to my computer and started typing too (#50k no be play o, plus transport fare and hotel bills). After the AWA section (which looked rather fair to me), I got down to the first verbal; it must have been the experimental part because boy, was that section harrrrrd (ets should try to leave that type for last na).

It sort of destabilized me but I soldiered on o (again, #50k + siblings), 'attacking' the quantitative section that followed and the others after that. Altogether, it was quite an experience sha. After everything: V 157, Q 164, AWA: 4.5 (I expected more in the AWA but well...).

Very helpful were the Official ETS guide (for AWA, V & Q), Memrize App (for vocab building), the Magoosh Videos (regular and premium) and also Powerprep and Manhattan Six online Tests (to simulate the actual test in terms of timing and, to an extent, difficulty).

There you have it friends...my hustle only just started as I'm looking at UIUC, CMU and PU (God dey o). Thanks to all contributors on this thread, every single one of you.

PS. Just got my TOEFL score: 111. I used the ETS official guide and watched some noteful videos on YouTube. Couldn't even practise with the ETS software because I didn't have enough time, wrote the TOEFL test on the 15th.

Good luck to all future test takers, you can do better.
I need tips ooo. So after every, GRE is now a must for me. The school advised I aim for 160 verbal, 148 quantitative and 4.5 analytical. Have still not registered....how I wan take start this GRE thing. I no fit shout abeg!
adroitish:
AWA results came in 4.0/6. Didn't prepare tho so I'm not disappointed. So 158,158,4. Masters in Public Health, full funding or PhD if possible. Thanks everyone.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Glowrie22: 9:44pm On Apr 17, 2017
Hi Everyone,
It's been long since I've been here, I just want to quickly share my testimony.

I came to know about this thread through my mom last year when I was getting ready for the GRE, I didn't really talk much here but this thread was very helpful. I got a lot of materials from here and even more, I got people who really helped me from here, especially @happyday. I didn't do so well on my GRE (308) though I did very well on the TOEFL, so I was very discouraged but people encouraged me that it was still possible to get funding so I decided to work hard on my application (I applied to only one school) .
I contacted happyday to help me on my applications and he did every single step of the way, tirelessly reading through and correcting my essays, and giving me advice about how to email professors and other things.
After finally submitting the application, I was granted admission but no funding. However, they informed me that there is a professor who is interested in funding me but he is waiting on some grants.
At this point, I started thinking of applying to other schools but I couldn't really afford to.
Finally, after much waiting, they contacted me that I have been granted full funding plus a monthly salary.
I just want to appreciate those that created this thread and kept it running, especially Sirridy and happyday. I also want to apologize for not being regular here.

Thank you very much.

PS: The school is University of Arkansas and my course is Agricultural Economics (MS).

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 9:50pm On Apr 17, 2017
Glowrie22:
Hi Everyone,

PS: The school is University of Arkansas and my course is Agricultural Economics (MS).

Thanks! I'm super excited this worked out so well. Welcome to America!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:11pm On Apr 17, 2017
Congrats, is it Fayetteville?
Glowrie22:
Hi Everyone,

I came to know about this thread through my mom last year when I was getting ready for the GRE, I didn't really talk much here but this thread was very helpful. I got a lot of materials from here and even more, I got people who really helped me from here, especially @happyday. I didn't do so well on my GRE (308) though I did very well on the TOEFL, so I was very discouraged but people encouraged me that it was still possible to get funding so I decided to work hard on my application (I applied to only one school) .
I contacted happyday to help me on my applications and he did every single step of the way, tirelessly reading through and correcting my essays, and giving me advice about how to email professors and other things.
After finally submitting the application, I was granted admission but no funding. However, they informed me that there is a professor who is interested in funding me but he is waiting on some grants.
At this point, I started thinking of applying to other schools but I couldn't really afford to.
Finally, after much waiting, they contacted me that I have been granted full funding plus a monthly salary.
I just want to appreciate those that created this thread and kept it running, especially Sirridy and happyday. I also want to apologize for not being regular here.

Thank you very much.

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Glowrie22: 10:13pm On Apr 17, 2017
sirRiddy:
Congrats, is it Fayetteville?

Yes it is Fayetteville

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Glowrie22: 10:14pm On Apr 17, 2017
happyday:

Thanks! I'm super excited this worked out so well. Welcome to America!

Thank you very very much for all your help

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ridsan4real(m): 11:47pm On Apr 17, 2017
congrats Glowrie22. I'm really happy for you. wishing u success in all your endeavors.
Let's have ur profile including your TOEFL score and CGPA.
thanks!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:00am On Apr 18, 2017
Glowrie22:

Yes it is Fayetteville
Sweet! That is a very good school.
Good luck with visa and travel prep
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by reDazey(f): 1:27am On Apr 18, 2017
Glowrie22:
Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much.

Congratulations Glowrie22. This is a wonderful testimony. I wish you success all the way.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Abdulasod: 6:50am On Apr 18, 2017
Good morning all smiley
please, I need Gmat materials. Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 8:36am On Apr 18, 2017
Glowrie22:
Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much.

Congrats , I can just imagine how elated you would be, this is a very good news.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 11:31am On Apr 18, 2017
Good day good people of this thread. Good to be here. I must say, reading your GRE success stories and admission stories has done a lot to inspire me on my quest for admission come Fall 2018.
I am making assiduous preparations to take the GRE in 2-3 months time. Everybody says the Manhattan 5lb is the best practice text for Quantitative. Infact, you are not going to score 160+ in the quantitative section if you do not practice with the Manhattan 5lb. grin Although the aim is a perfect 170 in the quantitative, my verbal still needs a bit of work. Unfortunately, I have seen some not so good reviews for the Manhattan texts especially in the TCs and SEs sections. However, I am taking it upon myself to improve my vocabulary on my own through voracious reading on sites such as theatlantic, newyorker, naulitus as well as vocabulary.com and quizlet.com as prescribed by various GRE forums online. My question is thus: Is there any such practice text for the verbal that is as "standard" as the manhattan 5lb text where there are a myraid of practice questions that are of GRE standard?

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 3:53pm On Apr 18, 2017
Glowrie22:
Hi Everyone,

I just want to appreciate those that created this thread and kept it running.

Congratulations Glowrie22!

We wrote the GRE on the same day, good to know your money has yielded returns in $$$! cheesy

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by hirschfelder: 7:10pm On Apr 18, 2017
MasterforceII:
Good day good people of this thread. Good to be here. I must say, reading your GRE success stories and admission stories has done a lot to inspire me on my quest for admission come Fall 2018.
I am making assiduous preparations to take the GRE in 2-3 months time. Everybody says the Manhattan 5lb is the best practice text for Quantitative. Infact, you are not going to score 160+ in the quantitative section if you do not practice with the Manhattan 5lb. grin Although the aim is a perfect 170 in the quantitative, my verbal still needs a bit of work. Unfortunately, I have seen some not so good reviews for the Manhattan texts especially in the TCs and SEs sections. However, I am taking it upon myself to improve my vocabulary on my own through voracious reading on sites such as theatlantic, newyorker, naulitus as well as vocabulary.com and quizlet.com as prescribed by various GRE forums online. My question is thus: Is there any such practice text for the verbal that is as "standard" as the manhattan 5lb text where there are a myraid of practice questions that are of GRE standard?

Nice work. Unfortunately, I doubt there is any 'standard' verbal text. The best ones, in my opinion, are the official verbal guides; though the questions aren't too much. Use the official guides, kaplan wordlists and magoosh app for vocab development and I think you'd be fine.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 7:43pm On Apr 18, 2017
Glowrie22:
Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much.

Congratulations! This is really a great news! So there's still hope for full funding for MS applicants like us wink

This is one of the schools I applied to, but yet to get their decision. Pleaae, when did you submit your application and how were u notified of the admission/funding decision?....I keep checking my profile online and no update angry
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 8:07pm On Apr 18, 2017
Glowrie22:
Hi Everyone,
It's been long since I've been here, I just want to quickly share my testimony

Thank you very much.

Congrats Glowrie22!

BTW, where are Scholastica16 and Time2smile? You two should not give high blood pressure oh! Any update?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 10:53pm On Apr 18, 2017
MasterforceII:

Questions in the Manhattan verbal booklets have ridiculously hard words - that's the problem. And thing is, ETS is testing how you can reason critically, not how much big words you know. So, you might start with the Manhattan to get a feel of how the real test looks like.

Apart from that, there are official Verbal Test booklets released by ETS themselves, apart from the Official Guide. You could get those. But only practice them in real test conditions. Those questions are as good as what you'll get on the real thing, and you don't want to waste them.

Or go for Magoosh. Almost all you need in one place. Plus they've got a big question bank to practice with.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by shayhune: 6:38am On Apr 19, 2017
Glowrie22:
Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much.

Wawuu. Congrats dear and @bolded, welcome to the league of one school applicants cheesy. Pls don't tell the VO you applied to just one school oo. Wishing you a seamless visa application process.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 9:27am On Apr 19, 2017
happyday:

Questions in the Manhattan verbal booklets have ridiculously hard words - that's the problem. And thing is, ETS is testing how you can reason critically, not how much big words you know. So, you might start with the Manhattan to get a feel of how the real test looks like.

Apart from that, there are official Verbal Test booklets released by ETS themselves, apart from the Official Guide. You could get those. But only practice them in real test conditions. Those questions are as good as what you'll get on the real thing, and you don't want to waste them.

Or go for Magoosh. Almost all you need in one place. Plus they've got a big question bank to practice with.

Yeah, I noticed that about the Manhattan verbal texts. Although I have looked at the ETS texts, I am still having problems with answering the questions; identifying the clues and understanding linking words/phrases. I would need to work more on that.
About Magoosh, I had heard good stuff about it. But it's really expensive especially considering the current exchange rate and I cannot afford it. I registered for the free trial valid for 7 days or so that grants one access to 20 video lessons and 20 practise questions and I must say I like the way the questions are arranged in that you can select what topic you want to answer questions in, choose a particular difficulty and time yourself. I have read through this thread though and saw links to download the video lessons and the premium videos. I have gone through some premium videos but they don't give the same benefits as opposed to solving the questions on their site. I will have to make do with it though.
Thanks for your advice, happyday
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 9:30am On Apr 19, 2017
hirschfelder:

Nice work. Unfortunately, I doubt there is any 'standard' verbal text. The best ones, in my opinion, are the official verbal guides; though the questions aren't too much. Use the official guides, kaplan wordlists and magoosh app for vocab development and I think you'd be fine.

Thank you for your input hirschfelder. Coming from you, with your excellent scores, I'll be sure to do as you have instructed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.