Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,002 members, 7,799,435 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:15 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (233) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1344326 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (230) (231) (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 2:16pm On Apr 30, 2017
That una department sha...

As for the 150 and above verbal score mark, you dont have an issue, you're already on course. Cheers

KeLcHeE:
Great house it is! I have been following this thread silently and ardently. Please let me take centre stage.

[/b]recondite[b]

Special regards to all folks who scored 150 and above in the Verbal section. That section of the exam no easy at all oh. God help us grin angry

Any sort of reply is most welcome. Please help a brother's plight...

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 2:51pm On Apr 30, 2017
aamstih:
Thanks bro... I could explore the printing option.

I was also suprised when mack IV told me kaplan is 10k because I got one from B. Y Mafit for free.

Are you serious about OG being about 5k? That means mack IV actually got their stuffs on the high side. On the other hand, are you sure that the OG sold at that price range in Yaba or Ojuelegba would afford one access to practice tests?

there are practice tests on the official guide book, and the official ets practice test is the Powerprep. I don't know the test you're talking about sir
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kinematicguy: 6:32pm On Apr 30, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

The university of Oklahoma is ranked 300 in the USA while the university of Sheffield is ranked 91 in the world.

OU is actually 111 in the US, imagine Sheffield is 91 in the world. Mind you OU is a tier-1 research school. Now use your discretion to judge if Sheffield is better than OU, even Sheffield grads will disagree. World ranking doesn't favour US mid schools.

According to National Center for Educational Statistics there are 4,352 degree granting universities in the US. That's too much compared to UK's 154.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:34pm On Apr 30, 2017
kinematicguy:

OU is actually 111 in the US, imagine Sheffield is 91 in the world. Mind you OU is a tier-1 research school. Now use your discretion to judge if Sheffield is better than OU, even Sheffield grads will disagree. World ranking doesn't favour US mid schools.

According to National Center for Educational Statistics there are 4,352 degree granting universities in the US. That's too much compared to UK's 154.
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/university-of-oklahoma#ranking-dataset/589595
Not worth it to me in my opinion, I rather go to japan or any other top Asian country.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kinematicguy: 6:38pm On Apr 30, 2017
aanexplus:

Wow. Long time kinematic. This prof get wahala sha. I have applied. Waiting to get feedback

Thanks kinematic

Yeah, been away for a while. It's not easy man. Best wishes with decision bro.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:39pm On Apr 30, 2017
aamstih:
Hello guys, pls who knows how much a manhattan 5lb (hardcopy) goes for and where can I get it in Lagos. Thank you
check at ikeja, before u get to the bridge
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kinematicguy: 6:45pm On Apr 30, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/university-of-oklahoma#ranking-dataset/589595
Not worth it to me in my opinion, I rather go to japan or any other top Asian country.

Not trying to be controversial. But I just want to state the obvious. Depending on your discipline people in the industry know these schools. Eg If you study engr or an oily course in OU you can compete with anybody from any school in the world in the workplace. In fact in the O and G industry OU is an apotheosis. But then just looking at world ranking, you won't give OU a chance.

But like you said, you would rather go to another place. I respect your opinion.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 8:32pm On Apr 30, 2017
Okay... Thanks...I would by tommorrow.

bjhaid:
check at ikeja, before u get to the bridge
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:25pm On Apr 30, 2017
darryjay16:
Good day guys
I'm kind of new here, i really appreciate what you guys are doing. thanks for all the info.

wrote GRE Last week and my score was a lil abysmal, i need your advice please.

B.ENG. in Agricultural Engineering
GPA: 78.4
GRE: 298

should i retake the GRE? my TOEFL exam is in a month time. looking for Ms.c in Biosystems Engineering. any suggestion for university that fit my profile will be appreciated.

I have the following universities on my list
Iowa state university
university of Arizona
Auburn university

Please what was your score when u tried the practice test

O
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by powelldabig: 9:38pm On Apr 30, 2017
uyi007:

Please I need them too. My email: emmanuelosayande@live.com

Please I need the materials too...here is my email kolawoleolaitan@yahoo.com
Thanks in anticipation
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by udi2111: 10:26pm On Apr 30, 2017
ponpon:
There's someone that runs TOEFL for 40k if you're interested pm me
mudiagaudi761@gmail.com,i sent you a pm please reply.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 10:31pm On Apr 30, 2017
KeLcHeE:
Great house it is! I have been following this thread silently and ardently. Please let me take centre stage.

I will be as objective as possible. My profile goes thus:

Course of study in Undergrad school (in one of the Federal Universities in the South-South): Electrical/Electronic Engineering
CGPA: 4.488

GRE score: *In God's able hands*. Lol

Work Expeience: 5year+, in one of the major GSM service provider companies

I am currently a 2nd/final year MBA student in one of the State Universities. Dunno if CGPA here would count towards increasing the strength of my application tho. For records sake, I had a 4.500 in my first year.

I have some certifications, most relevant to my field would be the famous but recondite CCNA and CCNP-route certifications.

As it stands, all I want is to get admitted into some engineering school in the US, REGARDLESS of its ranking. Oh yeah. Lol
1st CHALLENGE (FINANCIAL AID): I need a school (preferably in Texas) where I could study and work on campus if possible; also where I would be offered Graduate assistantship, plus any other financial aids available. I do not really know much about studying abroad as virtually 70% of my knowledge-base on this subject has come from this thread.

2ND CHALLENGE (COURSE VS SCHOOL OF STUDY): Choosing the right major has been a very serious challege. A friend in the US gave me an inside scoop as to a certain 'safe school' with a high acceptance rate (especially of int'l students) I could apply to. The only shortfall is that Computer Science is the only major I could go for in this school. I intend to apply to UT Dallas as well, since they offer Masters in Telecommunications Engineering which I crave for, judging by the hands-on experience I have bagged from my current job already. Computer Science is very cool to me but I have no rudimentary programming skill or knowledge whatsoever.

My target is spring 2018 - dunno how feasible this is. I intend to start intense preparations for the GRE in July (my MBA final exams would have been over by then), sit for it in August so as to beat the application deadline of September 30 stipulated by most schools.

Special regards to all folks who scored 150 and above in the Verbal section. That section of the exam no easy at all oh. God help us grin angry

With the right amount of practice you would definitely do better than a 150. That and having a clear head on the test day is all you would need.

Your profile is quite strong and with the right GRE scores you would be on course to actualizing your said ambitions. One thing you may put over and above even your standardized test scores will be your communication with potential advisors. If they do not reply (which seems to be the prevalent thing) then you may have to make do.

Don't limit your options to just Texas considering your desire for funding sources. There are a lot of Universities with reasonable profiles that more than handle your desired research interest and that should be your focus.

Spring is not exactly auspicious for funding opportunities but the professors you may be talking to may let you know more. Either them or the respective grad coordinators of the considered schools. As a result, you may need to take into cognizance the reality that fall might be your best bet.

I gleaned your post and may need to read it all over to understand if you are aiming for a PhD or an Msc. A PhD might be your surest bet to obtaining any form of assistantships as most schools reserve their funding for doctoral students. Of course, some Msc applicants have celebrated such feat(s) even on here but they are usually few and far between.

Pray; it works.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 10:46pm On Apr 30, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

Kinematicguy is actually right. The ranking of schools on whatever list is skewed and depends on alot of things- one of which is propaganda. I think the rankings may be right to some degree at Undergraduate level, but I am 90% sure it is wrong at higher academic levels. Understanding modules, writing tests and making reports are just a fraction of graduate work and having to compress it into less than 9 months makes the UK system look questionable. There is also a very evident paucity of research culture or environment in their educational system but that may be my bias talking.

Also, some schools are ranked lower than others in their entirety but may be stronger in individual or specific programs than others. Let me use Harvard for example, their engineering programs are not vaunted or highly recommended but they would always top most rankings due to their history, endowments as well as the strength of their business and law school programs. So one would not be amiss to opt for a petroleum engineering program in Oklahoma or Tulsa University over Harvard for the reasons above.

I ran across a moniker on this platform who had 2330/2400 in his SATs and was offered admission to CALTECH, MIT and Georgia Tech (if I am not mistaken). I believe he attended Loyola Jesuit and got either full-funding or something substantial to attend either of those schools. His parents recommended MIT (Reputation and top ranked at the time) but he disagreed and went to CALTECH. Few years passed and after he had graduated, he came back here to say he had no regrets whatsoever for attending CALTECH and would continue to recommend them over MIT.

It sounded incredible at the time, but Sheldon Cooper (Jimmy Parson's character on "The Big Bang Theory"wink seems to assert that alot on the show.

I am just passing by sha... hope everyone is ok.

I am expecting my offer this week unfailingly.

8 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 10:47pm On Apr 30, 2017
nastydamus:
I got the official offer (Tuition waiver + monthly stipends + 79% health insurance) from UNL yesterday but I'll be turning it down.

Already decided to go with Drexel and UNL's tardiness only strengthened my decision.

Didn't bring this up to make other expectant applicants feel bad. On the contrary, brought it up to show that schools are still typing and sending out admission offers so just hang in there guys, yours will reach you.

Congrats Nastydamus.

Your last paragraph is encouraging.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 10:51pm On Apr 30, 2017
ChemEngr01 Nothing?

Topiipii, funding don show?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:59pm On Apr 30, 2017
Scholastica16:

Kinematicguy is actually right. The ranking of schools on whatever list is skewed and depends on alot of things- one of which is propaganda. I think the rankings may be right to some degree at Undergraduate level, but I am 90% sure it is wrong at higher academic levels. Understanding modules, writing tests and making reports are just a fraction of graduate work and having to compress it into less than 9 months makes the UK system look questionable. There is also a very evident paucity of research culture or environment in their educational system but that may be my bias talking.

Also, some schools are ranked lower than others in their entirety but may be stronger in individual or specific programs than others. Let me use Harvard for example, their engineering programs are not vaunted or highly recommended but they would always top most rankings due to their history, endowments as well as the strength of their business and law school programs. So one would not be amiss to opt for a petroleum engineering program in Oklahoma or Tulsa University over Harvard for the reasons above.

I ran across a moniker on this platform who had 2330/2400 in his SATs and was offered admission to CALTECH, MIT and Georgia Tech (if I am not mistaken). I believe he attended Loyola Jesuit and got either full-funding or something substantial to attend either of those schools. His parents recommended MIT (Reputation and top ranked at the time) but he disagreed and went to CALTECH. Few years passed and after he had graduated, he came back here to say he had no regrets whatsoever for attending CALTECH and would continue to recommend them over MIT.

It sounded incredible at the time, but Sheldon Cooper (Jimmy Parson's character on "The Big Bang Theory"wink seems to assert that alot on the show.

That guy must be a God men. I will give anything to attend MIT but its impossible for the level I am right now.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by electronic(m): 11:04pm On Apr 30, 2017
Scholastica16:
ChemEngr01 Nothing?

Topiipii, funding don show?
JAMB Question...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by electronic(m): 11:07pm On Apr 30, 2017
KeLcHeE:

I will be as objective as possible. My profile goes thus:

Course of study in Undergrad school (in one of the Federal Universities in the South-South): Electrical/Electronic Engineering
CGPA: 4.488

GRE score: *In God's able hands*. Lol

Work Expeience: 5year+, in one of the major GSM service provider companies

I could go for in this school. I intend to apply to UT Dallas as well, since they offer Masters in Telecommunications Engineering which I crave for, judging by the hands-on experience I have bagged from my current job already. Computer Science is very cool to me but I have no rudimentary programming skill or knowledge whatsoever.

Contact Bigfrancis....over the telecom thingy
He finished from u of Maryland college park

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by keduduka1234: 1:45am On May 01, 2017
darryjay16:

download this app on google play. "GRE AWA"

Thank you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by udi2111: 8:03am On May 01, 2017
Scholastica16:

Hello if someone have a only c in his Waec result and have a score of 2000/2400 ,what is the probability of obtaining a scholarship in any of the top schools in US or even low ranked school. is the scholarship based on only the Sat or Sat combined with Waec?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by layez: 1:36pm On May 01, 2017
aamstih:
That una department sha...

As for the 150 and above verbal score mark, you dont have an issue, you're already on course. Cheers

I think i would still stick to print..just as ponpon said go to university environ to minimize cost, also 7k is too much..As said earlier,u could section it and you wouldnt wanna print introduction blabla bla as you could get those in soft copy...it all depends on u #cheers
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 2:09pm On May 01, 2017
udi2111:
Hello if someone have a only c in his Waec result and have a score of 2000/2400 ,what is the probability of obtaining a scholarship in any of the top schools in US or even low ranked school. is the scholarship based on only the Sat or Sat combined with Waec?

I don't know much about this but I guess the strength of the whole application is what determines getting a scholarship. 2000/2400 is a good score and having only one C in the WASSCE is equally stellar. I know you would need to evaluate the WASSCE by WES (which will improve its overall quality points) and with your strong SAT the sky will be the starting point.

What I think people need to focus on is applying to the right schools and in that case if you aimed for top 100-200 schools you could get admitted on a full ride as I have heard of people who enjoyed same with lesser profiles than what you have above.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 2:11pm On May 01, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

That guy must be a God men. I will give anything to attend MIT but its impossible for the level I am right now.

Quite a brilliant chap I agree. Most of us will give anything to attend MIT but my point is, that one should be more interested in what you would get out of it than just focusing on the name of the school, ranking or reputation.

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Gerrard59(m): 2:40pm On May 01, 2017
Scholastica16:

Quite a brilliant chap I agree. Most of us will give anything to attend MIT but my point is, that one should be more interested in what you would get out of it than just focusing on the name of the school, ranking or reputation.

It depends on the individual. Someone like me will want to reside permanently in the country after my studies and I believe going to a top 200 school boost my chances.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Gerrard59(m): 2:42pm On May 01, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

The QS Rankings is better and judges fairly than THE TIMES Education. ARWU is even better especially for STEM related fields.

How far your Asia parole? MEXT Scholarships by the Japanese Government is out oh.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:45pm On May 01, 2017
Gerrard59:

The QS Rankings is better and judges fairly than THE TIMES Education. ARWU is even better especially for STEM related fields.

How far your Asia parole? MEXT Scholarships by the Japanese Government is out oh.
I know about MEXT na but am not ready for masters yet, want to get work experience if not for anything at least to quench my "horrendous GPA"
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 9:35pm On May 01, 2017
Baba, it seems we would finally end up photocopying. I had combed CMS and Ojuelegba today all to no avail.

MasterforceII:

Omo I went round Yaba the other day looking for it but no luck. You could try at CMS or come check Yaba yourself. These hardcopy GRE books are usually expensive so I would say about 5k or more. Or less if you can price wella. But why don't you stick with the soft copy and use the money to pay for their 6 online tests instead?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OGreene: 6:17am On May 02, 2017
Wch ones are you searching for?

aamstih:
Baba, it seems we would finally end up photocopying. I had combed CMS and Ojuelegba today all to no avail.

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:03am On May 02, 2017
Hello house plz wats the secret to ace reading comprehension.

Last minute advice
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 7:40am On May 02, 2017
tescoman90:
Hello house plz wats the secret to ace reading comprehension.

Last minute advice

Read the passage like it's the most interesting thing you've ever come accross even if it's boring and obscure. Process of Elimination always seems to work best in answering RCs.

And make sure you ace the Sentence Equivalence and TCs and answer them as fast as you can to allow yourself more time to tackle the RCs.

Goodluck. Let us know how it goes.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 8:02am On May 02, 2017
Manhattan 5lb bro.

OGreene:
Wch ones are you searching for?

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temi4fash(m): 2:56pm On May 02, 2017
Hello House,

I wrote my GRE last year. q151 v149 A2.5

i stopped the applications along the way because i diverted some of the money intended for use then.

I am considering re writing the GRE and also TOEFL

Some schools i tried contacting wants me to evaluate my transcript. Most of the schools are in south dakota.

Intended study is Ms Electrical Engineering, 3.25/5

WES free evaluation: 3.17/4.0

I intend to use IERF for the course by course evaluation of my transcript.

Any advice...

(1) (2) (3) ... (230) (231) (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.