Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,487 members, 7,801,249 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:54 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (252) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1344956 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (249) (250) (251) (252) (253) (254) (255) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:09am On Jun 29, 2017
drhopeful:
Jesu! See grammar oh! Bros, please take it easy. Most of them don't fit with the sentences.

cheesy grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ndawe(f): 10:22am On Jun 29, 2017
obama14:
@Time2Smile, after exhaustively digesting your post on how to get high gre scores. I can't help but pay obeisance for a well crafted work and great strides acheived. I am opinionated of the great resourcefulness of the post, nevertheless I am quite nonplussed and vacillated about how long it took to secure admission with funding, considering your excellence gre scores. I do have the profound and recondite belief that superb scores in the gre and toefl tests coupled with good gpa score should suffice enough for admission and funding, now my precept wavers since it seems likely that arduous stress is reqiured for admission and funding even with excellent scores. I would be most gracious if you can pedantically extirpate why this is so, as you have always munificently do. Once, again congratulations on your admission to one of the most prestigious university. Thanks, in anticipation.
Loool. Oga, you wan use us practice your GRE vocab? Chill abeg and a couple of the words were used out of context. Calm down biko

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by hirschfelder: 10:32am On Jun 29, 2017
DexxyAlebs:
I hope you don't mind sending Mansfield Park (thesaurus version) to my mail please?

Boladealeb@gmail.com

Thank you

Sorry, I do not have the e-book.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 10:33am On Jun 29, 2017
Lolzzz @bolded... Thanks

drhopeful:
My brother,[/b] I did not pass Verbal oh (like some elders here) but the elders have spoken.[b] I tried to read aldaily.com but could not cope after the first 3 days. Those passages are God forsaken smiley but if you can cope, they will be of immense help. I also listened to BBC radio every morning and evening on my drive to and from work. Those tough GRE words are frequently used in their news/reports/documentaries. Good luck!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:34am On Jun 29, 2017
obama14:
@Time2Smile, after exhaustively digesting your post on how to get high gre scores. I can't help but pay obeisance for a well crafted work and great strides acheived. I am opinionated of the great resourcefulness of the post, nevertheless I am quite nonplussed and vacillated about how long it took to secure admission with funding, considering your excellence gre scores. I do have the profound and recondite belief that superb scores in the gre and toefl tests coupled with good gpa score should suffice enough for admission and funding, now my precept wavers since it seems likely that arduous stress is reqiured for admission and funding even with excellent scores. I would be most gracious if you can pedantically extirpate why this is so, as you have always munificently do. Once, again congratulations on your admission to one of the most prestigious university. Thanks, in anticipation.

CHRIST!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by FRANK1216(m): 10:35am On Jun 29, 2017
Welcome in per-view commercial !
Company AhaDengi.club offers you to earn money on watching the ad units and attract referrals.
Through commercial advertising, and we will credit your account 5 rubles (!) For the display of the ad unit.
Attract referrals and get 50% of their earnings on your account
This is the best offer on the market of paid advertising viewing now!
Your income is not particularly limited and depends on the time spent at the computer.
So working an average of 3-5 hours a day, you can get into your account from 1500 to 5000 rubles. and even more!
All earnings are accumulated on the personal account of the employee and shall be paid
on application to the personal account at your bank card or electronic account within 1 hour.
Use the link below to register.
Note: use Chrome to open reason being that it will help for translation of the words.
http://1e6f.ahadengi.club/548199019262/?rstr=884
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:37am On Jun 29, 2017
Ndawe:

Loool. Oga, you wan use us practice your GRE vocab? Chill abeg and a couple of the words were used out of context. Calm down biko

I just tire
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 10:42am On Jun 29, 2017
obama14:
@

When is your Exams coming up?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ndawe(f): 10:44am On Jun 29, 2017
The thing weak me ehn
Aig84:

I just tire
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 11:11am On Jun 29, 2017
Aig84:
I just tire

Ndawe:
The thing weak me ehn

grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ndawe(f): 11:19am On Jun 29, 2017
grin grin grin grin. Na you get am
iCool:

grin grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:55am On Jun 29, 2017
FRANK1216:
Welcome in per-view commercial !
Company AhaDengi.club offers you to earn money on watching the ad units and attract referrals.
Through commercial advertising, and we will credit your account 5 rubles (!) For the display of the ad unit.
Attract referrals and get 50% of their earnings on your account
This is the best offer on the market of paid advertising viewing now!
Your income is not particularly limited and depends on the time spent at the computer.
So working an average of 3-5 hours a day, you can get into your account from 1500 to 5000 rubles. and even more!
All earnings are accumulated on the personal account of the employee and shall be paid
on application to the personal account at your bank card or electronic account within 1 hour.
Use the link below to register.
Note: use Chrome to open reason being that it will help for translation of the words.
http://1e6f.ahadengi.club/548199019262/?rstr=884

MR MONEY MAKING MACHINE .............................WE ONLY GAIN MORE KNOWLEDGE HERE PLEASE CHECK ANOTHER THREAD grin grin

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 11:56am On Jun 29, 2017
obama14:

Whao.
I would do my best to answer your question but I can't cover all bases in one post. One thing all prospective students should have in mind is that a good, or even great, GRE score is not enough by itself to secure admission and funding from a good school. Other parts of the application such as GPA, SOP, research experience also play important roles. I would add unequivocally that an important aspect of the application that is often overlooked(especially in this part of the world) is the recommendation letters. A glowing recommendation letter can be a difference between an acceptance and a rejection. It is a n opportunity for admission committee to gain insight into some of the applicants traits that might otherwise not show up in other parts of the application.

That being said, A great GRE score significantly improves the chances of admission. On why I was accepted late in the admission cycle, It was due to a number of reasons.

First, I didn't start and submit my applications early enough. I only decided to apply around November and could not get an early GRE date so I was forced to write in January. By then the application for most schools had closed.

Secondly, When I started the application process, I didn't know much about PhD in the US and frankly was not interested in US. I was looking at Canada, Germany and some other countries. But as I was preparing to write the GRE to boost my chances in the other countries I started reading about US admission from this thread and the students visa thread. So, I resolved to submit application to a couple of US schools since I meet the minimum requirements for admission. Consequently, I only applied initially to two(2) US schools, LSU Health Science Center New Orleans (which I regarded as a safe school but I was rejected) and University of Houston (Don't have a decision from them application still under review!!! Can you imagine?).

Therefore, I wouldn't really say my decision was late because it took University of Texas about 6 weeks to accept me after scrambling to submit my application on the deadline due to the reticence of my referees to submit recommendation on time. And I believe my GRE and GPA played a great role in getting me accepted. I say this because the Graduate coordinator requested for another recommendation letter after the initial committee review of my application because he said the original three didn't say much about my research skills( An euphemism for they are useless). At that moment I knew I had a good chance if I submit a sparkling LOR, and lo and behold I was accepted when I got another referee to submit a letter I helped him to draft. (It still took two weeks to get him to acquiesce to my request).

I believe you and other prospective applicants can glean some knowledge from my story. But, I think it is worth listing some of the lessons I learnt.

1. Apply early before the deadline and Spread your risk. Apply to at least 6 schools containing a mixture of reach and safe schools.

2. Before you apply to a school know how the admission process in the school works. LSU probably rejected me because I am out of state, it was later I read complaints from other Americans. I didn't have any business applying there I the first place( I am talking especially about the health Science Center). My application to U of Houston was doomed when I couldn't secure a faculty support because it is Professors there that admit PhD student to their labs in the Department of Biochemistry.

3. Don't overlook any part of your application. A great GRE score and GPA are nice, but it may be your SOP and letters that clich the admit.

4. Work on your letters with your referees. A letter from a Dr. might be better than that of a Professor if the said Dr. writes a personal letter filled with anecdotes that shows he/she know you well and hold you in high esteem. (Your recommenders need to only write one letter each and just personalise by changing the name for each school). Also, Institutional email address gives more credibility compared to yahoo or Gmail accounts.

5. Start a draft of your SOP as soon as possible and let a number of people review it. The final version would be significantly different from the version you start with in most cases.

6. Like I have said before, the work that goes into securing admission and full funding is usually understated. However, the good thing is that it is a process with numerous steps and all applicants should take it one step at a time.

7. Last but not the least, Pray for favour, Grace and guidance.

I would add more tips as I remember them.

NB; At the risk of being pedantic, I would like to say that GRE verbal is more than learning vocabulary, it is the contextual meaning of the words in sentences that is being tested. It is always good to heed the advice I read somewhere "Write to express not to impress" in order not to come across as ostentatious.

20 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jun 29, 2017
obama14:
@Time2Smile, after exhaustively digesting your post on how to get high gre scores. I can't help but pay grin ;Dobeisance for a well crafted work and great strides acheived. I am opinionated of the great resourcefulness of the post, nevertheless I am quite nonplussed and vacillated about how long it took to secure admission with funding, considering your excellence gre scores. I do have the profound and recondite belief that superb scores in the gre and toefl tests coupled with good gpa score should suffice enough for admission and funding, now my precept wavers since it seems likely that arduous stress is reqiured for admission and funding even with excellent scores. I would be most gracious if you can pedantically extirpate why this is so, as you have always munificently do. Once, again congratulations on your admission to one of the most prestigious university. Thanks, in anticipation.

DEAR MR GRAMMAR

YOU NEARLY TURN EVERYONE INTO LEARNER HERE .............THANK GOD SAY WE GET PROFESSORS HERE TO SCRUTINIZE YOUR GRAMMAR

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfarad(m): 1:36pm On Jun 29, 2017
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 2:13pm On Jun 29, 2017

.... I say this because the Graduate coordinator requested for another recommendation letter after the initial committee review of my application because he said the original three didn't say much about my research skills( An euphemism for they are useless).
shocked So things like this happen!??

Overall, it is a well written piece.

I also did something different for my LORs

I used 2 professional from work (supervisors) and 1 academic - my then course adviser - from school (a doctor not a prof), these were the best people I could bank on and I didn't want the generic Nigerian professor LOR (even after several weeks of chasing them). I believe this added to my successes because they must have written glowing letters - I trust all 3 of them because I worked closely with them.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 2:16pm On Jun 29, 2017
mfarad, a bit of a personal question - why are you sticking to Petroleum eng.? If I do not ask, I will not have peace of mind.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by obama14: 2:51pm On Jun 29, 2017
Time2Smile:

Whao.
I would do my best to answer your question but I can't cover all bases in one post. One thing all prospective students should have in mind is that a good, or even great, GRE score is not enough by itself to secure admission and funding from a good school. Other parts of the application such as GPA, SOP, research experience also play important roles. I would add unequivocally that an important aspect of the application that is often overlooked(especially in this part of the world) is the recommendation letters. A glowing recommendation letter can be a difference between an acceptance and a rejection. It is a n opportunity for admission committee to gain insight into some of the applicants traits that might otherwise not show up in other parts of the application.

That being said, A great GRE score significantly improves the chances of admission. On why I was accepted late in the admission cycle, It was due to a number of reasons.

First, I didn't start and submit my applications early enough. I only decided to apply around November and could not get an early GRE date so I was forced to write in January. By then the application for most schools had closed.

Secondly, When I started the application process, I didn't know much about PhD in the US and frankly was not interested in US. I was looking at Canada, Germany and some other countries. But as I was preparing to write the GRE to boost my chances in the other countries I started reading about US admission from this thread and the students visa thread. So, I resolved to submit application to a couple of US schools since I meet the minimum requirements for admission. Consequently, I only applied initially to two(2) US schools, LSU Health Science Center New Orleans (which I regarded as a safe school but I was rejected) and University of Houston (Don't have a decision from them application still under review!!! Can you imagine?).

Therefore, I wouldn't really say my decision was late because it took University of Texas about 6 weeks to accept me after scrambling to submit my application on the deadline due to the reticence of my referees to submit recommendation on time. And I believe my GRE and GPA played a great role in getting me accepted. I say this because the Graduate coordinator requested for another recommendation letter after the initial committee review of my application because he said the original three didn't say much about my research skills( An euphemism for they are useless). At that moment I knew I had a good chance if I submit a sparkling LOR, and lo and behold I was accepted when I got another referee to submit a letter I helped him to draft. (It still took two weeks to get him to acquiesce to my request).

I believe you and other prospective applicants can glean some knowledge from my story. But, I think it is worth listing some of the lessons I learnt.

1. Apply early before the deadline and Spread your risk. Apply to at least 6 schools containing a mixture of reach and safe schools.

2. Before you apply to a school know how the admission process in the school works. LSU probably rejected me because I am out of state, it was later I read complaints from other Americans. I didn't have any business applying there I the first place( I am talking especially about the health Science Center). My application to U of Houston was doomed when I couldn't secure a faculty support because it is Professors there that admit PhD student to their labs in the Department of Biochemistry.

3. Don't overlooked any part of your application. A great GRE score and GPA are nice, but it my be your SOP and letters that clich the admit.

4. Work on your letters with your referees. A letter from a Dr. might be better than that of a Professor if the said Dr. writes a personal letter filled with anecdotes that shows he/she know you well and hold you in high esteem. (Your recommenders need to only write one letter each and just personalise by changing the name for each school). Also, Institutional email address gives more credibility compared to yahoo or Gmail accounts.

5. Start a draft of your SOP as soon as possible and let a number of people review it. The final version would be significantly different from the version you start with in most cases.

6. Like I have said before, the work that goes into securing admission and full funding is usually understated. However, the good thing is that it is a process with numerous steps and all applicants should take it one step at a time.

NB; At the risk of being pedantic, I would like to say that GRE verbal is more than learning vocabulary, it is the contextual meaning of the words in sentences that is being tested. It is always good to heed the advice I read somewhere "Write to express not to impress" in other not to come across as ostentatious.

Thanks, for the insights. It has been most pleasant to glean from your wealth of experience. I am much as curious as anyone out there, of securing graduate admission in a reputable school. It has been a dream long conceived, and I am sorry if the underlying tone of my above post is wrong.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ridsan4real(m): 4:12pm On Jun 29, 2017
Time2smile. Thanks for this tips. God bless you.
What of 'we' that our Ogas don't have institutional email address, what's the way forward?
Thanks!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DexxyAlebs(m): 7:40pm On Jun 29, 2017
hirschfelder:

Sorry, I do not have the e-book.
ohk thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfarad(m): 8:03pm On Jun 29, 2017
iCool:
mfarad, a bit of a personal question - why are you sticking to Petroleum eng.? If I do not ask, I will not have peace of mind.

Hmmm. The million dollar question... Will send you a pm sir.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 9:09pm On Jun 29, 2017
drhopeful:
Jesu! See grammar oh! Bros, please take it easy. Most of them don't fit with the sentences.

grin grin grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by thibcyrain: 10:04pm On Jun 29, 2017
obama14:

Well thought but not well written,trust me u have not communicated at all. But I like the fact that you are testing the words learnt. This is one one of the best way to learn. Kudo

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by obama14: 12:57am On Jun 30, 2017
aamstih:

When is your Exams coming up?
September
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sheeda995(f): 1:29am On Jun 30, 2017
Time2Smile:

Whao.

3. Don't overlook any part of your application. A great GRE score and GPA are nice, but it may be your SOP and letters that clich the admit.

NB; At the risk of being pedantic, I would like to say that GRE verbal is more than learning vocabulary, it is the contextual meaning of the words in sentences that is being tested. It is always good to heed the advice I read somewhere "Write to express not to impress" in order not to come across as ostentatious.

please sir, what do you mean by good research experience? Am about to start my project, I need to know what a good research experience mean to the schools in US, so as to know what direction to go, thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sheeda995(f): 1:33am On Jun 30, 2017
Hi everyone, I am so busy with school work that I hardly have time to sleep, but I would love to learn vocabulary because I guess I would be writing my GRE around November, please how can I make those vocabulary part of me, I really do not want to cramming, I want it to be part of me. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 9:18am On Jun 30, 2017
sheeda995:
Hi everyone, I am so busy with school work that I hardly have time to sleep, but I would love to learn vocabulary because I guess I would be writing my GRE around November, please how can I make those vocabulary part of me, I really do not want to cramming, I want it to be part of me. Thanks
get a good book that has a lot of gre words, finish the book or a graduate level book, there is one I just came across and it's really great. 'the Military writings of Mao Tse Tsung. Or read economist and nytimes everyday, take note of the words and learn how to apply them.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 9:40am On Jun 30, 2017
Nice. Do keep us posted on your verbal score cheesy.

obama14:

September

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 9:41am On Jun 30, 2017
sheeda995:

please sir, what do you mean by good research experience? Am about to start my project, I need to know what a good research experience mean to the schools in US, so as to know what direction to go, thanks

Whatever research you do in your field would be the research experience you need. It is about being proactive during the course of the research. Learning experimental designs, methodologies, reading and researching previous literatures, understanding data analysis. Your supervisor and senior colleagues are in the best position to put you through.

Attending conferences, seminars and reading publications in your field also helps in generating ideas and keeping abreast of latest trends in your field.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:51am On Jun 30, 2017
drhopeful:
And I thought I was alone . grin grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fab11: 10:08am On Jun 30, 2017
Hi guys, please any idea where i can get hardcopies of barron & nova gre materials and how much will it cost me. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 10:10am On Jun 30, 2017
ridsan4real:
Time2smile. Thanks for this tips. God bless you.
What of 'we' that our Ogas don't have institutional email address, what's the way forward?
Thanks!
The institutional email address for referees is not compulsory for most schools in the US whereas certain schools in Canada and Germany would not accept anything else, so one can still make do with generic email address. Although, if your referee is in academics you might want to talk to the referee because most universities have provisions for staff email but a number of staff don't avail themselves of the opportunity.

One thing to note is that the generic email address of the referess should be in the form of first name.lastname@whatever.com. This also applies to applicants, an email address such as Adewale.Emeka looks more professional compared to ridsan4real @ example.com (Not saying that is your email address oooo)

IMPORTANT: The reason institutional mail is is preferred is not far fetched. One only need to read some pages back on this thread to see where potential applicants were discussing using fake referee email addresses. As much as I empathize with the hurdles applicants go through to obtain LORs, I am totally against this. This type of duplicity has far reaching implications. Apart from the potential pitfalls for the applicant if this is uncovered, the name of Nigeria has been soiled abroad in almost all spheres of life that blacklisting our country in graduate admission circle would be reckless and imprudent. Sorry I sabi talk too much

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (249) (250) (251) (252) (253) (254) (255) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.