Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,806 members, 7,802,576 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:35 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (333) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1345404 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kacey007: 12:49am On Jan 22, 2018
Congrats Scholastica!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 2:15am On Jan 22, 2018
Huge thank you to:

Tizentos, Glocal1, Elevatedmind, Donzizou, Oludare1, Time2Smile, pon pon, Eldeevee, Hirschfelder, Toks07, drhopeful, Kacey007 etc

I could not help but mention all of you. I am grateful for all the love I am getting on here. May God bless you all real good.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 2:34am On Jan 22, 2018
PTDF Final/Nigerian Immigration/Observation thus far

Once you get your visa approved and delivered you are to scan it and send a copy to PTDF with a form detailing when you would want to travel and so on. An easy task that could be done via emails, PTDF made us come to Abuja again or use a proxy. Luckily for me, my mum works in the state so I begged her to help me and she did. I selected a travel date of 30th December 2017. The plan was to get in early enough to settle and attend all the orientations/health screening before January 8th that classes were to begin.

Like Clock work, on the 28th of December 2017 an agent from KLM called me to finalise my itinerary. After wrongly assuming I wanted to land at Cedar Rapids, Iowa, I corrected it to Des Moines (the capital) as my school through the International Scholars and Students Organization organises free bus rides from the airport in Des Moines to Ames (or anywhere you choose) where my school is located at. The Uber/Lyft/Taxi equivalent would have been $53 and above, so yes, I did not want to be spending that.

The agent assured me I would be getting my ticket sent just after the phone call so I was excited. PTDF for all their eff-ups (and they have been many) were actually doing something rightly for the first time - or so I thought. 28th came and went, no ticket. I called the agent, PTDF staff in charge of protocols and logistics to lodge a complaint. They assured me it would be done that day or unfailingly the next so I chilled. 29th also came and went and nobody picked my calls.

The day I was to travel and the day after all I heard was "we are working on it". They said this to me till the 5th of January (the date specified on my I-20). I had to inform my school about the issue and they inturn sent me a letter that I could use to avoid Customs and border protection wahala. That same 5th I blew up all the phones in the protocol office with calls till they knew me on first name basis. A ray of hope came in the afternoon of that 5th when the PTDF staff I had bugged with phone calls called me to gloat that PTDF had sent me a ticket since the 28th. It was in the course of my communication with him that he realised they sent that ticket to a wrong email address even when I gave them the right one. Besides, this is a people I kept calling since the 28th but only realized their mistake 8 days after and when I was definitely not going to get into the country earlier than the 6th of January. To make matters worse, KLM/Airfrance was completely booked till January 7th so that is when my new ticket was issued and I could only get into Iowa, USA via Amsterdam and Minneapolis, on the 8th of January by 7PM. So yes, I missed my potential first classes....

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 3:12am On Jan 22, 2018
...on the day I was to travel, I was scheduled to leave by 10:55PM Nigerian time, so boarding began at 9:55PM. After bidding everyone that accompanied me to the airport, farewell, I realized I had not filled that yellow card that the immigration folks at MMIA give. So I filled it and "declared" the money within my possession. A mistake I would get to rue later.

I got to the immigration guy who looked at my visa and passport and was to stamp it but for some reason after looking at my yellow form for a while asked me about my old international passport. I got it (trying to be a good citizen) and tendered it to him, who likewise flipped through all the pages, issued it back to me but then told me to meet a fellow immigration guy down the aisle to seek approval from him to get stamped.

Something about that arrangement did not sit well with me but I obliged him; Went to the M. Gardo (that is the bastard's name) and told him what had previously transpired. Gardo sized me up and began to spew mumbo jumbo about how I was attempting to travel with 2 valid passports. In my calmest voice, I proceeded to educate him on the 6-month rule; how that my previous passport was expiring on the 17th of January 2018 (and thus was invalid). Also showed him the pages detailing that I had no US visa on it which means I could never even use it. When he claimed I tried to present it to his colleague I told him point-blank that it was in my hand luggage and that I only brought it out on request from his colleague.

Gardo did not listen to anything I had to say. He kept responding defensively, telling me I was trying to teach him his job. A young adult man who saw the exchange came and bought wahala for himself by trying to defend me. Next thing Gardo and one other ridiculously stewpid lady refused the guy passage because he had less than $1000 on him. They brought out some flimsy paper and began to pontificate. When the man was tired of their shenanigans, he proceeded to bribe them with N1000. That is when I realized why I was being held.

Gardo said "this man you see here (referring to me) is bigger than you and me put together but his problem is I-too-Know". As soon as I heard that, I explained to them how I am a scholar going to represent Nigeria in the US and how that any money on me was given to me by my sponsor - PTDF. Gardo acted like he cared, but it was only for 30 seconds. First he asked me to bring out all the documents I used to get my visa and also my award letter. Of course, I did not give hid to that callous man. Then He started making side talks to his fellow thief in uniform (the lady) and they told me I was going to sleep there and miss my flight except I went to the immigration office to get my first passport cancelled without prejudice.

Please bear in mind, that all these were pure sophistry. That passport had cancelled itself without prejudice but they would not listen. 9:55PM turned to 10:15PM and 2 Nigerians just decided to heap curses on themselves. I was getting infuriated but I did not let it show. Occasionally, I would smile as if I had it under control. Couldn't let my mum panic so each time she called I would understate the true turn of events. Till another Godsend immigration guy came there, realized their antics, took me to their "office" came out back in 2 mins and quickly acted like he was just realizing that the contentious passport had no visa. That became his cue to free me and let me get scanned for the penultimate time before leaving.

To save myself of a long story, I realized my visa was not stamped, so I went back to another immigration man who acted like he was my friend ( yet kept quiet when the couple of evil tried to act like their creator- the devil and keep me hanging). He helped me get my visa stamped, and I zoomed off in time to board my flight by 10:45ish - noting to myself while seated - that I would do all it takes (including marrying a whitey USC) just to make sure I don't ever have to come back here...except to see my folks ofcourse.

Don't judge me. LOL.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 3:31am On Jan 22, 2018
The best way to describe my experience thus far is to say our education in Nigeria is a huge scam. A friend of mine said someone told her that all the VCs in Nigeria should return the tuitions of all the Nigerian students from year 1 to final year and I could not agree more. Just take it that you probably wasted your university years in terms of actual school work. What Nigeria did for us however was to train us on how to cope with stress.

I am still adjusting to the cold, cultural difference and palpable lack of awareness research-wise. All that "I have XX years of research" we used to say, does not measure up. In fact, when you come in, you would realise you were probably only admitted (and funded for those who were) because they wanted diversity. Even the high GPA thing feels like another inflated exercise but let me speak for me alone.

I have no doubt that I would click into gear very soon. For ChE guys, take Hirschfelder's posts like a page from the bible. Everything he has said about the core ChE courses being intermediate Maths-heavy and the research aspect being Chemistry-laden are spot on. I am there now and I can say he is absolutely correct.

Good thing is, you are being set-up here to succeed unlike your country. Lecturers will take time to answer questions and make texts readily available for advanced reading. Internet/Wi-Fi sometimes at 300MBPs on hand to aide the learning/research process. You have no excuse to falsify, fabricate or plagiarize any data or material. They take grand exceptions to this and it could get you rusticated in a flash.

I have just added some boring Analytical Chemistry course (Analytical Separations) because my major professor thinks it will help with the impending research we would do together. I hope he is right because the first few classes were in Aramaic and no, I do not speak nor comprehend the ancient language. But I have to learn it which ever way and also Ace it for the sake of the people who think I can.

And Yes, I can.

The end for now.

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 4:20am On Jan 22, 2018
Scholastica16:
The best way to describe my experience thus far is to say our education in Nigeria is a huge scam. A friend of mine said someone told her that all the VCs in Nigeria should return the tuitions of all the Nigerian students from year 1 to final year and I could not agree more. Just take it that you probably wasted your university years in terms of actual school work. What Nigeria did for us however was to train us on how to cope with stress.

I am still adjusting to the cold, cultural difference and palpable lack of awareness research-wise. All that "I have XX years of research" we used to say, does not measure up. In fact, when you come in, you would realise you were probably only admitted (and funded for those who were) because they wanted diversity. Even the high GPA thing feels like another inflated exercise but let me speak for me alone.

I have no doubt that I would click into gear very soon. For ChE guys, take Hirschfelder's posts like a page from the bible. Everything he has said about the core ChE courses being intermediate Maths-heavy and the research aspect being Chemistry-laden are spot on. I am there now and I can say he is absolutely correct.

Good thing is, you are being set-up here to succeed unlike your country. Lecturers will take time to answer questions and make texts readily available for advanced reading. Internet/Wi-Fi sometimes at 300MBPs on hand to aide the learning/research process. You have no excuse to falsify, fabricate or plagiarize any data or material. They take grand exceptions to this and it could get you rusticated in a flash.

I have just added some boring Analytical Chemistry course (Analytical Separations) because my major professor thinks it will help with the impending research we would do together. I hope he is right because the first few classes were in Aramaic and no, I do not speak nor comprehend the ancient language. But I have to learn it which ever way and also Ace it for the sake of the people who think I can.

And Yes, I can.

The end for now.
While I agree with you about the extremely poor state of Nigerian education, saying we are admitted just because of diversity is stretching it a bit. Sure schools will prefer to have a class of international students India, China and students from African countries instead of just Indians and Chinese. However, I think most institutions know that our perceived deficiencies are mainly due to lack of opportunity and a broken system and not lack of ability. That is why they try to select the "best brain" from here and I assure you the selected ones are more than good enough to succeed with adequate resources at our disposal.

With regards to research experience, I personally was not under any illusion because I read papers in my field, I am aware of inadequacy and know that there are a lot of techniques I have to learn because the facilities are not just available in Nigeria. That's one of the things that really spurred my desire to get a foreign education because research in Nigeria is non-existent. But once again, this is an aspect in which I applaud US universities. Most realize we don't have state-of-the-art facilities or exposed avant-garde technique, what they are essentially looking for is someone who understands what research entails. The long hours in the lab, formulating questions and having the perseverance to seek answers to it for months end, hard work, dedication, selflessness, some minimum level of intelligence and perspicacity.

That is what educated folks and universities understand, they know people from supposedly "shithole" countries can excel given the right tools and opportunity.

21 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 4:52am On Jan 22, 2018
Time2Smile:

While I agree with you about the extremely poor state of Nigerian education, saying we are admitted just because of diversity is stretching it a bit. Sure schools will prefer to have a class of international students India, China and students from African countries instead of just Indians and Chinese. However, I think most institutions know that our perceived deficiencies are mainly due to lack of opportunity and a broken system and not lack of ability. That is why they try to select the "best brain" from here and I assure you the selected ones are more than good enough to succeed with adequate resources at our disposal.

With regards to research experience, I personally was not under any illusion because I read papers in my field, I am aware of inadequacy and know that there are a lot of techniques I have to learn because the facilities are not just available in Nigeria. That's one of the things that really spurred my desire to get a foreign education because research in Nigeria is non-existent. But once again, this is an aspect in which I applaud US universities. Most realize we don't have state-of-the-art facilities or exposed avant-garde technique, what they are essentially looking for is someone who understands what research entails. The long hours in the lab, formulating questions and having the perseverance to seek answers to it for months end, hard work, dedication, selflessness, some minimum level of intelligence and perspicacity.

That is what educated folks and universities understand, they know people from supposedly "shithole" countries can excel given the right tools and opportunity.

I actually agree with this and maybe I was too dramatic in my construction. I was panning our lack of research experience/know-how and not our ability. In ability, we are probably up there with the best if not a shade better. But in terms of cognate research experience, we are lagging far far behind.

7 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Obyknow(m): 9:54am On Jan 22, 2018
Good morning

Please anyone in Port Harcourt preparing to write GRE in February /March? Would really need your help here.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by trillville(m): 12:38pm On Jan 22, 2018
Good day house, Please has anyone had an interview with Kira Talent for either msc or phd? I am already prepared for general questions. I guess I am just a bit nervous.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfarad(m): 4:51pm On Jan 22, 2018
Scholastica16:
...noting to myself while seated - that I would do all it takes (including marrying a whitey USC) just to make sure I don't ever have to come back here...except to see my folks of course.

Don't judge me. LOL.

I hope trust you wont don't have to take that route man cheesy . Congrats and all the best once again!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by neahyo(m): 5:30pm On Jan 22, 2018
Scholastica16:

I actually agree with this and maybe I was too dramatic in my construction. I was panning our lack of research experience/know-how and not our ability. In ability, we are probably up there with the best if not a shade better. But in terms of cognate research experience, we are lagging far far behind.

Hi Scholastica,

It feels so good to know your resilience paid off, I'm so happy for you. Remember, "every finished line is the beginning of a new race"; you've crossed the first hurdle, now the main battle begins.

Don't forget that their grade calculations is different from the British system oh! I was caught up in hysteria on finding out my 86's and 89's were not enough to have an A+ in Europe; meanwhile with those grades in Naija I would be basking in euphoria.

With God by your side, the best is yet to come.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DoTheNeedful: 5:46pm On Jan 22, 2018
Scholastica16:
...on the day I was to travel, I was scheduled to leave by 10:55PM Nigerian time, so boarding began at 9:55PM. After bidding everyone that accompanied me to the airport, farewell, I realized I had not filled that yellow card that the immigration folks at MMIA give. So I filled it and "declared" the money within my possession. A mistake I would get to rue later.

I got to the immigration guy who looked at my visa and passport and was to stamp it but for some reason after looking at my yellow form for a while asked me about my old international passport. I got it (trying to be a good citizen) and tendered it to him, who likewise flipped through all the pages, issued it back to me but then told me to meet a fellow immigration guy down the aisle to seek approval from him to get stamped.

Something about that arrangement did not sit well with me but I obliged him; Went to the M. Gardo (that is the bastard's name) and told him what had previously transpired. Gardo sized me up and began to spew mumbo jumbo about how I was attempting to travel with 2 valid passports. In my calmest voice, I proceeded to educate him on the 6-month rule; how that my previous passport was expiring on the 17th of January 2018 (and thus was invalid). Also showed him the pages detailing that I had no US visa on it which means I could never even use it. When he claimed I tried to present it to his colleague I told him point-blank that it was in my hand luggage and that I only brought it out on request from his colleague.

Gardo did not listen to anything I had to say. He kept responding defensively, telling me I was trying to teach him his job. A young adult man who saw the exchange came and bought wahala for himself by trying to defend me. Next thing Gardo and one other ridiculously stewpid lady refused the guy passage because he had less than $1000 on him. They brought out some flimsy paper and began to pontificate. When the man was tired of their shenanigans, he proceeded to bribe them with N1000. That is when I realized why I was being held.

Gardo said "this man you see here (referring to me) is bigger than you and me put together but his problem is I-too-Know". As soon as I heard that, I explained to them how I am a scholar going to represent Nigeria in the US and how that any money on me was given to me by my sponsor - PTDF. Gardo acted like he cared, but it was only for 30 seconds. First he asked me to bring out all the documents I used to get my visa and also my award letter. Of course, I did not give hid to that callous man. Then He started making side talks to his fellow thief in uniform (the lady) and they told me I was going to sleep there and miss my flight except I went to the immigration office to get my first passport cancelled without prejudice.

Please bear in mind, that all these were pure sophistry. That passport had cancelled itself without prejudice but they would not listen. 9:55PM turned to 10:15PM and 2 Nigerians just decided to heap curses on themselves. I was getting infuriated but I did not let it show. Occasionally, I would smile as if I had it under control. Couldn't let my mum panic so each time she called I would understate the true turn of events. Till another Godsend immigration guy came there, realized their antics, took me to their "office" came out back in 2 mins and quickly acted like he was just realizing that the contentious passport had no visa. That became his cue to free me and let me get scanned for the penultimate time before leaving.

To save myself of a long story, I realized my visa was not stamped, so I went back to another immigration man who acted like he was my friend ( yet kept quiet when the couple of evil tried to act like their creator- the devil and keep me hanging). He helped me get my visa stamped, and I zoomed off in time to board my flight by 10:45ish - noting to myself while seated - that I would do all it takes (including marrying a whitey USC) just to make sure I don't ever have to come back here...except to see my folks ofcourse.

Don't judge me. LOL.

Lol...Congrats! No marry oyinbo o....
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Rori(m): 6:14pm On Jan 22, 2018
Scholastica16:
PTDF stage Two

...Ater consulting all consultables I applied to Iowa State University. I was conflicted initially because the app fee was $100 and I had limited time but something told me to press on and I did. Exactly 7 days after the grad prog directed emailed me to say 2 Professors saw my profile, liked it and wanted to have a Skype Interview with me. That interview was scheduled few days after his email and I spoke with a very intelligent CALTECH grad of a Professor for something like 18mins. At the end of that chat, he told me straight-up that he wanted to work with me. That is the summary of how I got into Iowa State.

I am regarded as a scholarship-sponsored research assistant because I have a federal government award but I feel all will change after a semester when I start getting extra funding from the school themselves. The Professor I work with is well-funded by the National Science foundation so that also backs my thought-process. But I digress....

I have to abridge this story and cut out the part were I turned accountant and carried out a thorough analysis of the tuition and fees in a way I could present it to PTDF without it being rejected. I got to their towers on the 19th of November, submitted my admission letter and got it approved together with being issued my Proof of funding and award letter between that day to the 22nd. The simple fact is it was not as easy as I am presenting it here: There were days of frustration as PTDF refused to offer any scholar going to the US more than an 18-month stipend. The good thing being, the stipend as it were, can take care of one for 2 years without the burden of lab work and teaching that TAs and RAs are saddled with.

Let me also chip in that the scholarship has changed alot from last year to the one I benefitted from. For instance, there used to be a one-off payment for warm clothing, a laptop and cutlery but all that was removed from the award letter. US scholars used to get 24-month stipends (in fact, PTDF used to adjust the stipend depending on the state one was travelling to) but they stopped that this year. Even getting them to give you the 18-month allowance was a heavy bargain which even turned depressing for some others. By the time you experienced the cold shoulder treatment in Abuja, you'd have simply realized that all those big school ambitions via them would have been a pipe dream. I pray for those aiming for it this year (may your struggles be less).

The UK scholars, most of whom travelled in Sept/Oct did not get a dime from PTDF till November. People had to fend for themselves till money was released 2 and for others 3 months later. On the whatsApp group we created, there was alot of weeping and gnashing of teeth that one wondered if the scholarship was worth it at all. In actual fact, the happiest days of acquiring the scholarship are the days you saw your name on the list and perhaps after getting your first payment tranche. The inbetweens are not for the faint-hearted.

It won't also be fair to them if I do not add that atleast they also reimburse your SEVIS, Visa fees and any medical tests you take prior to applying for the visa or in a bid to completing your registration. They will also handle your insurance, books and supply if you are smart enough to invoice it to them. Lest I forget, they pay for your flight too and for those who travelled in December and saw those humongous figures, I am sure you'd have wished you had the scholarship at that point in time. Looking back, I would prefer to get my scholarship and funding fully from the school as those one's have value for you more than PTDF or any other scholarship body in Nigeria. But that is my own honest opinion.
facts

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ladson: 1:04am On Jan 23, 2018
[quote author=Obyknow post=64411527]Good morning

Please anyone in Port Harcourt preparing to write GRE in February /March? Would really need your help here.[/quote
yes I am
I stay in woji.how may I help you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ladson: 1:10am On Jan 23, 2018
scholarstica
blessings will continue to follow you
you have just began the enjoyments
you have really spurred me up. God bless you.
I will like to relate with you...

I have BENG CHEMICAL uniben and mech eng - HND fedpolyadoekiti..I have sent you pm
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:59am On Jan 23, 2018
@ Genomics aw was ur admit
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ipledge01: 8:11am On Jan 23, 2018
neahyo:

Hi Scholastica,

It feels so good to know your resilience paid off, I'm so happy for you. Remember, "every finished line is the beginning of a new race"; you've crossed the first hurdle, now the main battle begins.

Don't forget that their grade calculations is different from the British system oh! I was caught up in hysteria on finding out my 86's and 89's were not enough to have an A+ in Europe; meanwhile with those grades in Naija I would be basking in euphoria.

With God by your side, the best is yet to come.

Bro, PMed you earlier but no reply
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pricelessjosy: 11:25am On Jan 23, 2018
please house i need your help, which is easier to pass TOEFEL or IELTS? i need materials to study please and i have to write the exam between now and february 18, which of the centres can i enroll. to cus i stay around Ojo area in lagos.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfarad(m): 11:46am On Jan 23, 2018
pricelessjosy:
please house i need your help, which is easier to pass TOEFEL or IELTS? i need materials to study please and i have to write the exam between now and february 18, which of the centres can i enroll. to cus i stay around Ojo area in lagos.

Personally, I prefer TOEFL. It's cheaper. Google "IELTS vs TOEFL" for more.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by neahyo(m): 2:40pm On Jan 23, 2018
ipledge01:

Bro, PMed you earlier but no reply

It would be better if we can discuss only on this platform. You can quote me in an idle thread on my profile, i would be willing to assist in any way i can.

Best wishes.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jamrid: 3:06pm On Jan 23, 2018
Thsi is the eroor am getting installing popwerprepiiv2 on my system..

Please guru in the house should help.

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jamrid: 3:06pm On Jan 23, 2018
This is the error am getting installing powerprepiiv2 on my system..

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Yildiz: 3:32pm On Jan 23, 2018
Its connection problem. Try after some time, it will work
jamrid:
This is the error am getting installing powerprepiiv2 on my system..

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kennynelcon(m): 3:55pm On Jan 23, 2018
mfarad:

Personally, I prefer TOEFL. It's cheaper. Google "IELTS vs TOEFL" for more.
Easier too ?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfarad(m): 5:16pm On Jan 23, 2018
kennynelcon:

Easier too ?

Not necessarily. Exam structure is different. Eg. TOEFL speaking section is computer based while IELTS's is a physical interview that might be scheduled on a different day from the other sections. Too much stress IMO angry
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Obyknow(m): 6:28pm On Jan 23, 2018
[quote author=Ladson post=64432904][/quote]
Oh great, how can I reach you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by harthy007: 8:38pm On Jan 23, 2018
Scholastica16:

And Yes, I can.

The end for now.

Congratulations Scholastica!

Many thanks for taking your time to speak exhaustively about your entire journey so far.
I wish you the best

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 1:53am On Jan 24, 2018
Congrats Scholastica. Keep blazing.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MLDrima: 8:07am On Jan 24, 2018
Congrats scholastics.

God will surely direct success in your way. as you have helped and inspired a lot.

All d best in you studies
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 1:10pm On Jan 24, 2018
I would have replied but Ive been quite busy with preparations and all. Unfortunately, I couldn't meet up with this entry as many things hindered my preparation. I had to opt to differ the admission but I've been working assiduously to ensure I do not miss out on the wonderful package I got.

Mine is a story of God's grace and in as much as one would not want to bring spirituality into the whole thing; as there are people who prayed and fasted and still didn't achieve their aim, it is quite imperative to note that prayers, accompanied by purpose and guided by the right information are the ingredients for success.

Seriously, this whole thing started as a joke for me. I didn't preempt or really pre-plan it. It was just a joke. Until I got my visa, it wasn't looking real at all. Perhaps that was why I didn't make adequate preparations to travel immediately. It was only my brother that knew about it. I didn't tell my parents until after my scores were out and the whole admission was finalized. My dad just gave me all the pep talk and started the whole "Remember the son of whom you are talk"... I was like Dad, I never collect visa left to talk of travel na. cheesy cheesy . But I know he marvelled at the fact that I hid such a thing from him.

After much ado, filling the DS 160 and preparing my mind for the task ahead, I left mainland the day before my interview to stay with a friend on the Island. I didn't want stories that touch the heart that maybe one tyre punctured on the road or one fuel finished in one car or it is the day of my visa interview that Oro decided to come out in Lagos. Even if Oro came out, omo na to treck go embassy. grin grin grin grin

So, I got there quite early and I was virtually sweating. Honestly, I don't know if it's just me but I hardly slept the previous night. Reality just began to dawn on me. In my mind, I was like... This is it! But I remembered the short discuss I had with friends I made at B.Y Mafit and some of our by the side discussions on visa and stuff. So, I put all that into action. Got control of my emotions, focused on my answers, and worked on my psychology. The mindset was "It's not the end of the world if I am not given". One thing I learned at Mafit was that many people go to the interview as if their life's depends on it. This leads to unnecessary tension and an influx of adrenaline in the system. This has ripple effect on your performance and coordination and the way you respond. Also, your choice of reply matters.

So, I joined the queue and some guys at the top end of the queue (Their staffs) were barking orders on no double passport, and the time slots for those that should be on the queue. I got in and they checked my SEVIS receipt and forms. Took a sit and I was later ushered into the embassy proper. Another set of security checks before I made my way into the hall where the interview was to be conducted. You could virtually sense the tension in the room. Omo it is not easy. It's like the gate of heaven ... And I saw many people going to the left i.e back to Nigeria with a Blue form. If you have a white form, then you go to the right. LOL.

Fast track to the visa interview proper:

VO: Hello

Me: Good day sir (With a James Bond smile. Not too detailed and not to strict. Casual sexy. cool wink )

VO: Why are you going to the US?

Me: I'm going for my master's program at soso University for my MBA. (I didn't wait for him to ask and I quickly interjected). I actually got to know about the school online and after I went through their programs, I discovered that it actually stood out and I felt since I had a great GRE score and my CGPA was competitive enough I could apply to the school and get the funding they promised.

VO: Oh so, you got funding?

Me: Yes I did (I also interjected). Though I got offers from other schools, but I feel this had the best package for me.

VO: Can I see your test scores?

Me: Brought out my GRE and TOEFL scores... the ones I was carrying placard like like someone taking a mugshot).

He stared at it for minutes and kept on looking at it. At some point he just dropped it and was looking at me for like a minute or two. I was confused but I didn't let it show. After a while he continued:

VO: So, who is sponsoring your education?

Me: I got full funding but in case I need anything I have my parents support. (Brought out my sponsor's statement of account)

VO: Have you travelled before? (No I haven't)

Let me dwell on this a bit. I got some people telling me virgin passport is not good and I should waste money stamping one passport in and out and traveling and stuff. Trash that.

VO: (Typing something on his system.) Lecture me. What is an MBA and what is it's importance to you when you are done?

Me: (I never experrerrit. That was a blow in the jugular... But I calmed myself and ensured the internal world war 2 in me didn't erupt). Sincerely I can't remember everything I said at this point. I shaa know I was talking and he was looking at me with a blank face as if I was talking rubbish.

VO: (After a while he cut me short and said something along the lines of picking up my passport and handed me the white paper).

So.. There it goes. The major thing is that you get prepared and work on your mind. Pray as well and hope for the best.

Wish everyone about to go for their interview great success!

Scholastica16:

Baba, don't get flustered if you are accused. If you shed light, darkness will be sent packing. I appreciate all your contributions here and I am aching to see your transcript. Please don't deprive us of it I beg you.

Thank you for the compliments. I truly appreciate you.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 2:07pm On Jan 24, 2018
Yeye dey smell, sir Mafit
frostsc:
I would have replied but Ive been quite busy with preparations and all. Unfortunately, I couldn't meet up with this entry as many things hindered my preparation. I had to opt to differ the admission but I've been working assiduously to ensure I do not miss out on the wonderful package I got.

Mine is a story of God's grace and in as much as one would not want to bring spirituality into the whole thing; as there are people who prayed and fasted and still didn't achieve their aim, it is quite imperative to note that prayers, accompanied by purpose and guided by the right information are the ingredients for success.

Seriously, this whole thing started as a joke for me. I didn't preempt or really pre-plan it. It was just a joke. Until I got my visa, it wasn't looking real at all. Perhaps that was why I didn't make adequate preparations to travel immediately. It was only my brother that knew about it. I didn't tell my parents until after my scores were out and the whole admission was finalized. My dad just gave me all the pep talk and started the whole "Remember the son of whom you are talk"... I was like Dad, I never collect visa left to talk of travel na. cheesy cheesy . But I know he marvelled at the fact that I hid such a thing from him.

After much ado, filling the DS 160 and preparing my mind for the task ahead, I left mainland the day before my interview to stay with a friend on the Island. I didn't want stories that touch the heart that maybe one tyre punctured on the road or one fuel finished in one car or it is the day of my visa interview that Oro decided to come out in Lagos. Even if Oro came out, omo na to treck go embassy. grin grin grin grin

So, I got there quite early and I was virtually sweating. Honestly, I don't know if it's just me but I hardly slept the previous night. Reality just began to dawn on me. In my mind, I was like... This is it! But I remembered the short discuss I had with friends I made at B.Y Mafit and some of our by the side discussions on visa and stuff. So, I put all that into action. Got control of my emotions, focused on my answers, and worked on my psychology. The mindset was "It's not the end of the world if I am not given". One thing I learned at Mafit was that many people go to the interview as if their life's depends on it. This leads to unnecessary tension and an influx of adrenaline in the system. This has ripple effect on your performance and coordination and the way you respond. Also, your choice of reply matters.

So, I joined the queue and some guys at the top end of the queue (Their staffs) were barking orders on no double passport, and the time slots for those that should be on the queue. I got in and they checked my SEVIS receipt and forms. Took a sit and I was later ushered into the embassy proper. Another set of security checks before I made my way into the hall where the interview was to be conducted. You could virtually sense the tension in the room. Omo it is not easy. It's like the gate of heaven ... And I saw many people going to the left i.e back to Nigeria with a Blue form. If you have a white form, then you go to the right. LOL.

Fast track to the visa interview proper:

VO: Hello

Me: Good day sir (With a James Bond smile. Not too detailed and not to strict. Casual sexy. cool wink )

VO: Why are you going to the US?

Me: I'm going for my master's program at soso University for my MBA. (I didn't wait for him to ask and I quickly interjected). I actually got to know about the school online and after I went through their programs, I discovered that it actually stood out and I felt since I had a great GRE score and my CGPA was competitive enough I could apply to the school and get the funding they promised.

VO: Oh so, you got funding?

Me: Yes I did (I also interjected). Though I got offers from other schools, but I feel this had the best package for me.

VO: Can I see your test scores?

Me: Brought out my GRE and TOEFL scores... the ones I was carrying placard like like someone taking a mugshot).

He stared at it for minutes and kept on looking at it. At some point he just dropped it and was looking at me for like a minute or two. I was confused but I didn't let it show. After a while he continued:

VO: So, who is sponsoring your education?

Me: I got full funding but in case I need anything I have my parents support. (Brought out my sponsor's statement of account)

VO: Have you travelled before? (No I haven't)

Let me dwell on this a bit. I got some people telling me virgin passport is not good and I should waste money stamping one passport in and out and traveling and stuff. Trash that.

VO: (Typing something on his system.) Lecture me. What is an MBA and what is it's importance to you when you are done?

Me: (I never experrerrit. That was a blow in the jugular... But I calmed myself and ensured the internal world war 2 in me didn't erupt). Sincerely I can't remember everything I said at this point. I shaa know I was talking and he was looking at me with a blank face as if I was talking rubbish.

VO: (After a while he cut me short and said something along the lines of picking up my passport and handed me the white paper).

So.. There it goes. The major thing is that you get prepared and work on your mind. Pray as well and hope for the best.

Wish everyone about to go for their interview great success!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 3:06pm On Jan 24, 2018
kennynelcon:

Easier too ?

Well, I believe the newer generation who are computer savvy would prefer the TOEFL. I personally think the TOEFL is easier to predict than the IELTS. But it should not surprise you that those quite advanced in age who are not computer savvy would rather the IELTS. For me though, I would go for the TOEFL.

I think I now understand what is going on in this thread. cheesy cheesy cheesy My Oga Scholastica and Time2Smile I'm sure you do now as well. cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 204
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.