Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,582 members, 7,781,873 topics. Date: Saturday, 30 March 2024 at 12:42 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (338) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1337224 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (335) (336) (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:31am On Feb 09, 2018
smallsuper:
Thanks Rexcheeng, yours on the way.

Amen wink
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 12:02pm On Feb 09, 2018
Thanks Bro
smallsuper:
Congrats Quoaran. Funding on the way bro!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 12:03pm On Feb 09, 2018
Thanks Bro
RexCheeng:
This influx of good news is exciting!
Congrats smallsuper, Quoran!

#Fall2018 #YesWeCan
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 12:06pm On Feb 09, 2018
Wow! Thanks for this information. I hope it turns out fine in the end.
Scholastica16:

Fellowship usually comes from the department with no conditions. Many times it is a lump sum payment and other times spread over a time period. It is not tied to maintaining a GPA or doing RA/TA and is usually offered to the best or most preferred students in an application pool. Congrats.

If he is lobbying for you to get it, it means he truly wants you on his team. Fellowship is usually added to the RA/TA that will come from him which will make your sum for the year quite comfy. Congrats again.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 1:24pm On Feb 09, 2018
Dear ******* *******:

Congratulations! I am pleased to notify you of your acceptance into the Mechanical Eng-Eng Mechanics PHD program for Fall 2018. Classes begin on 04-SEP-2018.

Please be advised that funding is not available from the department as a GTA. GRA decisions are made by individual faculty members but none have expressed a need for GRAs at this time. See FAQ http://www.mtu.edu/mechanical/graduate/advising/faqs/#faq48340

Research and teaching assistantships are awarded by your department and questions regarding this form of aid should be directed to them. Since no financial assistance has been offered to you at this time, you must submit evidence that you possess the appropriate amount of funds to finance your own educational program for one academic year. For more information, please refer to our cost of education page (http://www.mtu.edu/gradschool/financial/cost/).

Please upload a completed Certification of Finances Form and bank statement(s) through your MyMichiganTech as soon as possible. We will finalize your admission and issue your I-20 or DS-2019 following receipt of the requested financial information (http://www.mtu.edu/gradschool/documents/policies-procedures/forms/certification-of-finances.pdf).

Resources to assist you prior to your arrival on campus can be found both in the Enrollment Checklist on your personalized MyMichiganTech (https://www.mymichigantech.mtu.edu). Notify our office as soon as possible if you have had any changes in your mailing address or proposed term of admission.

We look forward to welcoming you to the Michigan Tech Graduate School and wish you continued success in your academic career.

Sincerely,
Jacque Smith
Director of Graduate Enrollment Services

Student ID: ********

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just got this from Michigan Tech. I am not understanding. Do this guys think paying for a PhD is a joke? They must really be a stingy school. lol. I actually prefer the style of not granting admission because of lack of funds. I saw an advert from one of their Professors with an available studentship position. I am calling him as soon as it 8-9 am in Michigan. lol

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by reDazey(f): 1:54pm On Feb 09, 2018
kylexy61:
Hello guys. I want to share my GRE experience. I only found this thread like 2 weeks ago. I took mine in August 2017, 8:30am sharp.

The analytical went well. As soon as I saw the issue task question, I thanked my stars that I had used the 'GRE AWA' android app. The topic was something about things getting more complex and incomprehensible as humans gain more knowledge.
I had already seen a similar topic before and although I had not actually practiced that topic, being familiar with it helped calm down my nerves. I didn't have too much problems with the argumentative either.

The other sections were in the order QVQVQ. The first 2 quant sets were quite easy so I'm guessing one of them is the experimental section. The last section? Oh boy!! My scores in the powerprep quant sections prior to the test had given me some confidence. By I was clearly not well prepared enough for what I faced in the actual test. The questions were slightly more difficult and time consuming, and as someone who was targeting a perfect quant score, I found this quite frustrating. The level of difficulty for the verbal section was roughly similar to that of the powerprep. There weren't as many esoteric words as there are in the 5lb Manhattan prep questions

At the end of the test, I got 163Q, 156V and a week later, an analytical score of 4.5. I was slightly dissapointed with my quant score because 2 days before my actual test, I took the 2nd powerprep test and scored 168Q, 158V.

But it's still good. All thanks to God
Thanks for sharing your experience. Great scores!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by reDazey(f): 2:00pm On Feb 09, 2018
AlphaCentaurii:
Hello. Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it . I studied Medicine in undergrad and I have just always had a predilection for Public health, don't know why smiley. But with this info you just gave about partial funding or no funding at all, I don't mind reconsidering my choices. So please based on your experience and people you know, which masters course in the US with full scholarship funding do you think is good for a doctor?
I have no information for master courses for medical doctors. It will be a good idea to mail graduate coordinators to find out this information. However, I can tell you what I know which is medical doctors running Ph.D. programs in the biomedical field and they were fully funded in their respective schools.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by reDazey(f): 2:06pm On Feb 09, 2018
smallsuper:
Thanks @ reDazey. I have been looking for who to break the silence.

Let me share my little experience.

As a mechanical engineering post graduate applicant, my targeted score was 326 and above. I have been consistently knacking between 156-159 in Verbal with my Quants mostly above 167 in all my practice test. I decided to "gave" my first GRE as our Indian peeps normally say on the 11th of Aug, the exam was in the format VQVQV. After my A.W, I could not concentrate due to the discordant sounds of keyboard punching from every angle and couldn't even comprehend the SEs and TCs. I knew immediately that I had "entered it". I got 170Q (because I can solve mathematics under any condition), 150V and 3.5 AW.
I had mixed feelings because of my low verbal and A.W score and my perfect quant score and I decided to rewrite the exam after two months of contemplation.

I registered for another Gre in late October and sat for the exam on the 1st of December. Nothing changed in my preparation and I ended up using the same materials. The exam was in the format VQVQV, at the end of the exam, I had 167 Quants, 156V (Though I was expecting something higher) and 3.5 A.W( I didn't practice writing, I thought it was all about template but I was wrong). The seeming improvement in my verbal was a result of my decision to be among the last set of people that entered the exam hall to prevent the previous unpropitious experience. Technically, I didn't improve in any section because I know 156 was achievable in the first attempt if not for the inauspicious experience.

How I wish I knew this thread then and asked for advice from savants here. That's why it's good to speak up, However, I remain undaunted and had learned my lesson.

#Team 2018
Waiting for admission decision from Georgia Tech, University of Maryland College Park, Iowa State University, University of Tennesse Knoxville, Louisiana State University and Ohio University.
Great scores shocked shocked shocked. Quants 170. I believe you will get the best of your schools. Congratulations on your admit @LSU.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by reDazey(f): 2:16pm On Feb 09, 2018
athorello:
Just in.... Admit for Michigan Tech PhD but no financial aid though it is stated that my department provides assistantships. I'm required to upload my certification of finances and bank statements asap. Where money dey? Lol. Let me contact the dept first.

Congratulations on the admit. Personally, I agree with others about this school. I felt they were bad news but after reading a post on the Visa thread(someone narrated that he got fully funded), I might not be quick to judge them. Anyway, nothing is impossible. Keep pushing for funding.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by hilaryxoxo(f): 3:39pm On Feb 09, 2018
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by hilaryxoxo(f): 4:31pm On Feb 09, 2018
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 4:40pm On Feb 09, 2018
smallsuper:
I also got Louisiana State University day before yesterday, official letter not yet out though without funding but I have been able to secure RA from a POI I mentioned in my SOP. Contacting him before applying worked.
#Team Fall 2018. #Yes we can.
congrats bro!!!!!! Welcome to the south, you'll eat craw fish tire!!!! Bigger ones coming, but if you'll like lsu it's pretty decent too
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by smallsuper: 6:19pm On Feb 09, 2018
Thanks reDazey.
reDazey:

Great scores shocked shocked shocked. Quants 170. I believe you will get the best of your schools. Congratulations on your admit @LSU.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by smallsuper: 6:20pm On Feb 09, 2018
Thanks Ponpon. I like big things gringrin
ponpon:
congrats bro!!!!!! Welcome to the south, you'll eat craw fish tire!!!! Bigger ones coming, but if you'll like lsu it's pretty decent too
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 6:29pm On Feb 09, 2018
Big is the way to go!
smallsuper:
Thanks Ponpon. I like big things gringrin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by elevatedmind: 7:11pm On Feb 09, 2018
sirRiddy, we can see you are still following us.

Well-done Sir for being part of the pioneers of this trend.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by elevatedmind: 7:11pm On Feb 09, 2018
Congrats to you guys on your admit

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 8:09pm On Feb 09, 2018
Quoran:
Dear ******* *******:

I just got this from Michigan Tech. I am not understanding. Do this guys think paying for a PhD is a joke? They must really be a stingy school. lol. I actually prefer the style of not granting admission because of lack of funds. I saw an advert from one of their Professors with an available studentship position. I am calling him as soon as it 8-9 am in Michigan. lol
Congratulations on your offers. Do not mind them, they can only try that with international students. Maybe they are hoping you are a Nigerian Prince.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 8:53pm On Feb 09, 2018
Thank you Time2Smile. Lol @ Nigerian Prince. I agree with you. Most of their current students I contacted via LinkedIn are funded and they didn't go through much stress in getting GRA and GTA positions. Well, we will keep trying.
Time2Smile:

Congratulations on your offers. Do not mind them, they can only try that with international students. Maybe they are hoping you are a Nigerian Prince.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Auspicious2018: 9:01pm On Feb 09, 2018
Please what do you think about my profile?
BSc Medical Biochemistry 3.71/5
Last 60 credit 3.34/4(Required)

GRE Q 156 V 152
Experience:Present- Own my Business
Previous- Sales Executive

Plan to apply for Business Analytics, Fall 2018.
Please suggestions and constructive criticisms are welcome.

Please can someone analyse my profile and make suggestions on Schools that could offer me tuition waiver. I've done my research already but I will appreciate more input
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by smoothblaise(m): 12:40am On Feb 10, 2018
I have Magoosh premium account with two months access want to share the cost with one or two people
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by obioraval(m): 11:00am On Feb 10, 2018
Joining the Phd crew. for EE guys, saw this. do not know how late this is.

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/98811-grad-student-wanted-2018-ee-power-at-oregon-state/
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by stainless91(m): 4:49pm On Feb 10, 2018
3 days ago, I started studying for verbal aspect of GRE...always thought it was a child's play...Alas! I never knew English was (and it's still) hard...seeing heavy vocabulary, I lost my reasoning.... I couldn't decipher a meaning of word. I was ashamed despite all my conversation with colleagues and peers in English language...
It has been said here times without number that Princeton review is good for verbal, but I don't think it is meant for me. (for those that used that book, you're the genius and we are not mate!)
I was trying to apply the strategy learnt especially for TC....but all na wash!
please folks, I need your advice concerning d material to use for this aspect.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by geejayjax: 6:21pm On Feb 10, 2018
Can u send me the Princeton review softcopy lemme peruse it pls wink gbengajohn0@gmail.com
stainless91:
3 days ago, I started studying for verbal aspect of GRE...always thought it was a child's play...Alas! I never knew English was (and it's still) hard...seeing heavy vocabulary, I lost my reasoning.... I couldn't decipher a meaning of word. I was ashamed despite all my conversation with colleagues and peers in English language...
It has been said here times without number that Princeton review is good for verbal, but I don't think it is meant for me. (for those that used that book, you're the genius and we are not mate!)
I was trying to apply the strategy learnt especially for TC....but all na wash!
please folks, I need your advice concerning d material to use for this aspect.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pierre92(m): 11:28pm On Feb 10, 2018
reDazey:

Thanks for sharing though not thorough. Great scores. Great profile. I believe you should have finished your application by now. Biotechnology has lots of funding. Hopefully, you get into a great program.
Not yet. Took my TOEFL last week Saturday.Received my score yesterday (Thought it was a 10 days after thing).Full steam ahead now.Seems Florida is the place to go for funded biotechnology masters.Boston and Cali schools are surprisingly not funded
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pierre92(m): 11:34pm On Feb 10, 2018
DoTheNeedful:

Why not try PhD in pharmacy or pharmacology? It can open lots of doors for you in the US. The ones you listed are fine also sha.
Looked in the direction but decided against that because;
1.Most deadlines have passed for PhD admissions
2. I am not excited by the current state of pharmacological research. I will still put in some applications as backup though.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 4:46pm On Feb 11, 2018
Anyone here applied for EE Masters at Uni of Illiinois, Urbana Champaign? Already seeing admits on gradcafe and I'm getting frantic.
Also who on here can't stop checking gradcafe every 30mins?
Lol. Really need to calm down. Our admits are enroute.
#Fall2018 #YesWeCan

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 5:56pm On Feb 11, 2018
Please, how do you guys even check current admission stuff on gradcafe? All I see is old stuff.
MasterforceII:
Anyone here applied for EE Masters at Uni of Illiinois, Urbana Champaign? Already seeing admits on gradcafe and I'm getting frantic.
#Fall2018 #YesWeCan
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 6:02pm On Feb 11, 2018
Quoran:
Please, how do you guys even check current admission stuff on gradcafe? All I see is old stuff.

Lol. Here: https://thegradcafe.com/survey/

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by smallsuper: 6:11pm On Feb 11, 2018
Lol. I thought I am the only one. The waiting is laden with tension.
#Fall2018 #YesWeCan

MasterforceII:
#Fall2018 #YesWeCan
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 6:34pm On Feb 11, 2018
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 6:56pm On Feb 11, 2018
I thought all applications are reviewed at once especially for schools with a deadline ? I'm seeing on Gradcafe a lot of admission decisions from some of the schools I applied to. Though it appears some of them applied before me.

(1) (2) (3) ... (335) (336) (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.