Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,252 members, 7,780,522 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:51 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (446) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1336872 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (443) (444) (445) (446) (447) (448) (449) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Prollins: 12:07pm On Jan 10, 2019
TheZed:
Amen
I just sent you a pm bro
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheZed(m): 12:49pm On Jan 10, 2019
Prollins:

I just sent you a pm bro
i have replied your pm bro
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mayDtolu(m): 2:04pm On Jan 10, 2019
Quoran:
No it is not compulsory. Just score well in the Quant GRE (>160). Many schools have stopped using the GRE Subject test.

If you are going for applied Mathematics especially something related to Mathematical Physics, CFD, numerical methods etc, you can be funded in a really good school. Mathematics has alot of funding. I also discovered that alot of people do not like Mathematics programs for Graduate studies because they feel there are few opportunities therein. With Mathematics, you do alot of interdisciplinary research.
Most industry funded research in Science and Engineering use Mathematics (Algorithms, Linear Algebra, Data Science, Optimization etc) a lot so they usually have funds for Professors willing to do research.

Thanks very much... I sent you an email already...

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aduz: 3:13pm On Jan 10, 2019
Wao awesome trend. Am new here. I just want to start my preparation for the GRE and TOEFL exam. Am in need to study materials. Am seeing amazing scores please share the books you used with me.

mustaphaaduragbemi@gmail.com

Thanks so mush in anticipation
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 4:29pm On Jan 10, 2019
aduz:
Wao awesome trend. Am new here. I just want to start my preparation for the GRE and TOEFL exam. Am in need to study materials. Am seeing amazing scores please share the books you used with me.

mustaphaaduragbemi@gmail.com

Thanks so mush in anticipation
You're welcome smiley
If you start now, you should have enough time to plan well for Spring/Fall 2020.
I'll advise you go back through this thread to about this time last year or two years ago, and you'll be glad you did. You'll find the materials you need.

All the best smiley!!!

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by scipy: 6:23pm On Jan 10, 2019
Hi guys,

Great job y'all are doing here!
I finally wrote the GRE after a prolonged wait. I hardly had time to prep for the exam and my scores reflect this (Q161 V149)

I am gunning for a MSc/PhD in Electrical Engineering

Schools of choice:

San Diego State Uni
University of Tennessee
Washington State Uni
Uni of Toledo

My unofficial WES undergrad GPA is 3.71/4.00 Electrical/Electronic Engineering
1 year work experience
No publication

I am a bit afraid about my scores being poor. I would appreciate advise on the choice of schools and any other relevant advice
Thanks guys!

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bassmana: 8:02pm On Jan 10, 2019
Congratulations on that score. First thing first, you need to pat yourself at the back for a job well done.
You see when it comes to GRE, a 'good' score is relative. It depends on the schools you are sending your applications to. Even if you rewrite and get 325, you may get denied. So, the one important thing here is school selection in respect to your profile... However, having a great score is a good in order to increase your chance of getting admitted.

In my opinion, I think you can make do of the score since you are an engineering major and you hit 160 in Q (not bad at all). You may wanna write TOEFL to polish your profile. Then, package am wella....

In a nutshell, you have what it takes to get admitted into all the schools listed.

Cheers!
scipy:
Hi guys,

I finally wrote the GRE after a prolonged wait. I hardly had time to prep for the exam and my scores reflect this (Q161 V149)

Schools of choice:

San Diego State Uni
University of Tennessee
Washington State Uni
Uni of Toledo

1 year work experience
No publication

I am a bit afraid about my scores being poor. I would appreciate advise on the choice of schools and any other relevant advice
Thanks guys!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by SisiNini(f): 12:12am On Jan 11, 2019
elevatedmind:

check this link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SVhX85DKS_kY2IHkD2W9v5BXAUwRFcCr, one of the egbons here uploaded a dope book. The book has got outstanding SOPs... Read and get inspiration/ideas of what to write... please, don't copy any of them o... admission officers have access to this kind of stuff.

Cheers!!!

I found it. I have been looking for it also.

cc: daseento

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by chloroform: 5:20am On Jan 11, 2019
fatsonm:
Glad to be here... I am a Fall 2020 aspirant
same here.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by chloroform: 5:20am On Jan 11, 2019
fatsonm:
Glad to be here... I am a Fall 2020 aspirant
same here.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by daseento(m): 8:44am On Jan 11, 2019
SisiNini:

I found it. I have been looking for it also.

cc: daseento

Yippee! You're a darling. Much thanks.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by as7700: 10:31am On Jan 11, 2019
That is an amazing score smiley
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by as7700: 10:34am On Jan 11, 2019
as7700:
That is an amazing score smiley
I was able to score 330, just by enrolling into this online GRE course. What is your take on Online preparation course guys!?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by doziej84: 11:55am On Jan 11, 2019
doziej84:

UPDATE: A good samaritan ( shout out to her) has helped me send my TOEFL scores.

It's still remaining GRE ......

Pls a good samaritan should come to my aid..........Na beg, I dey beg ooo.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CuteRedd(f): 1:20pm On Jan 11, 2019
@as7700 That is a great score shocked

How many months did you prepare for? Also, for how many hours?

Galvanize is a great tool i use it too tho the free version from playstore
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Shadbay(m): 8:46pm On Jan 11, 2019
@ponpon

I've been trying to reach you to no avail.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by akatovic1: 4:47am On Jan 12, 2019
Instinct20:

Hello Bro,

I'll like to apply for the app fee waiver. Please could you explain how to go about it?

Thanks
I am sorry I could not reply on time, I have had a lot to do in the last few days. I hope you could apply, if not opportunities still abound.However sending a mail will be more effective in reaching out to a potential contact on this forum as the person may not logging for a long time. I wish you and everyone with expectations on this forum the very best.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by KeLcHeE(m): 10:39pm On Jan 12, 2019
Any recommendations for tier-2 schools that offer doctoral programs in health informatics? Regardless of whether it is offered as a major or sub-concentration...

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fatsonm: 1:29am On Jan 13, 2019
fatsonm:

Glad to be here...
I am a Fall 2020 aspirant
Pls what are the things we newbies should know? Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 11:27am On Jan 13, 2019
First thing first, get mentally and physically prepared for the process because it is not cheap and requires a great deal of effort. Applications cost money, even more is the entire process. It would also be in good stead to evaluate your chances of getting a US visa for study if your program isn't going to be funded.

Let's get with it:

1. It's never too early to begin preparations. Start several months before the start of an application cycle.
- Take standardised tests very early as many people
do not achieve reasonable scores on first attempt.
- Contact your referees about your intention for their
support
- Process your transcript evaluations, if necessary,
asap. *Perhaps the most tedious, and expensive
process of it all.

2. Look up programs and universities of interest. My people say: 'who stop ask question no dey miss road.'
- Contact the graduate program administrator and
be upfront with your credentials asking whether
your profile is competitive for funding for
international applicants. It may be on the website,
but still cool *you'd likely get insider info about
retaking standardised tests or not
- Proceed to contact researchers of interest, before
paying that application fee and sending in your
application.

3. The more the number of strategic applications, the higher the chances of an admission with perks.

Bon Chance !

fatsonm:

Pls what are the things we newbies should know? Thanks

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kaydp: 12:45pm On Jan 13, 2019
Roybhatty:

By this time you might have given your exam. Hope you did well. I would like to know your experience.
Also I would like mention a [url=https://galvanizetestprep.com/gre-test-prep/vocabulary-builder-app/?utm_source=nairaland&utm_medium=Vocab%20app]Vocabulary builder app[/url] that I'm using and found it really useful. I love learning through this app. Also it is the top rated vocab app in the stores.
Hope this helps others.
Sorry for late response. I basically used magoosh app and vocabulary.com. That site helped me a lot. It presented words with various examples of its usage in sentences. Most of those examples are from the popular news site like economist, washigtonpost, etc. 152 V 153 Q. I was really disappointed with the quant score. Good luck

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kaydp: 12:53pm On Jan 13, 2019
MasterforceII:
Nice that people are posting about their applications. Way to keep the thread lively and inspire fall2020 applicants and beyond. I remember the exploits of Scholastica16, drhopeful, femi132 et al and how reading their stories kept me going.

I applied to 9 schools for a mix of MS and PhD programs:

Virginia Tech (MS)
Purdue University (MS)
Auburn University (MS)
Colorado state university (MS)
University of Maryland (PhD)
University of Massachusetts (Ms/PhD)
University of Tennessee (PhD)
Iowa State university (PhD)
Rennsalear polytechnic institute (PhD)

Profile:
Program: Electrical Engineering
CGPA: 3.64/4.00
GRE: 163Q/158V/4
TOEFL: 104

I was a bit ambitious with my applications this year. Reason being that I have seen people with lesser profiles get admitted into these schools. I've put in my best and corresponded with professors in some schools. I'm hopeful that one of these schools provides admission and funding. I however have a contingency plan but I hope it doesn't come to that.

#Fall2019 #YesWeCan
I wish you all the very best bro. I really appreciate your help.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 3:28pm On Jan 13, 2019
kaydp:
I wish you all the very best bro. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks bro. I wish you same.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Beekorly(f): 6:14pm On Jan 13, 2019
Hi guys,

Please I need someone to recommend "safe and moderate school" with "guaranteed funding" for PhD and MS in Computer science for fall 2019?

GRE: 310...162Q 148V awa:3.5 (prepared for roughly 25days. I felt really bad abt my verbal when I saw scores but I really don't have plans to rewrite)
TOEFL: waiting
GPA : 4.54/5.0 comp sci
1 research paper published @International Journal for computer applications

I've applied to
Tufts University phd
Vanderbilt University phd
University of Texas at Dallas phd

I intend applying to
University of Tennessee Knoxville for phd

Please suggest other safe schools guys.

Thanks

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 8:35pm On Jan 13, 2019
Majority of universities with funding will not have any open applications now. Deadlines are usually December 15th /31st
While some might extend to January 15th. So you may not find many options except you're applying for Spring 2020. Have you checked the University of Kentucky, Texas Tech, George Washington university, Washington state university, University of Oregon State etc ?

Just a quick one. When applying, always include your programming skills and projects to your CV / application. There's little or no hope without that here.

You have a good profile

Beekorly:
Hi guys,

Please I need someone to recommend "safe and moderate school" with "guaranteed funding" for PhD and MS in Computer science for fall 2019?

GRE: 310...162Q 148V awa:3.5 (prepared for roughly 25days. I felt really bad abt my verbal when I saw scores but I really don't have plans to rewrite)
TOEFL: waiting
GPA : 4.54/5.0 comp sci
1 research paper published @International Journal for computer applications

I've applied to
Tufts University phd
Vanderbilt University phd
University of Texas at Dallas phd

I intend applying to
University of Tennessee Knoxville for phd

Please suggest other safe schools guys.

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Beekorly(f): 3:07pm On Jan 14, 2019
Hi scipy,

Please how did you go abt ur unofficial Wes transcript evaluatn?

scipy:
Hi guys,

Schools of choice:

San Diego State Uni
University of Tennessee
Washington State Uni
Uni of Toledo

1 year work experience
No publication

Thanks guys!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by BikeMan: 11:07am On Jan 15, 2019
Hi Beekorly, that e-mail isn't accessible at the moment. Please contact me on WhatsApp via 07012633061
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by BikeMan: 11:09am On Jan 15, 2019
Beekorly:
Hi scipy,
Please how did you go abt ur unofficial Wes transcript evaluatn?
Here it is https://applications.wes.org/igpa-calculator/

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CuteRedd(f): 1:50pm On Jan 15, 2019
So I have always wondered how the GRE Scoring Algorithm works. I never knew that the GRE penalizes test takers once your second section is easy. Check out the explanation here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO1kCeScHu4

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tactmayor: 5:45pm On Jan 15, 2019
Please I am looking towards PhD with full funding for fall 2019 in Environmental Engineering and need suggestions from you.
I have admit from Michigan Tech for Phd and Uni of Maryland college park(MSc) without funding. I would appreciate school suggestions with possible funding.

Profile- GPA- 3.7/4 in Civil Engineering
GRE- 310 158(Q) 3.5 AWA
3 researches but none published yet

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Emeritusseun(m): 6:32pm On Jan 15, 2019
Good day my people,
Please I kindly want to know the distinction between admission with full funding and Admission with graduate assistant.
Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Delesta2015: 8:33pm On Jan 15, 2019
tactmayor:
Please I am looking towards PhD with full funding for fall 2019 in Environmental Engineering and need suggestions from you.
I have admit from Michigan Tech for Phd and Uni of Maryland college park(MSc) without funding. I would appreciate school suggestions with possible funding.

Profile- GPA- 3.7/4 in Civil Engineering
GRE- 310 158(Q) 3.5 AWA
3 researches but none published yet
I thought PhD admit get automatic full funding at Michigan Tech?

(1) (2) (3) ... (443) (444) (445) (446) (447) (448) (449) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.