Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,952 members, 7,806,760 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:49 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (447) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1346976 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (444) (445) (446) (447) (448) (449) (450) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tactmayor: 8:51pm On Jan 15, 2019
Delesta2015:
I thought PhD admit get automatic full funding at Michigan Tech?

So I thought too but was not funded.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 2:26am On Jan 16, 2019
Delesta2015:
I thought PhD admit get automatic full funding at Michigan Tech?

This is not true. In fact, on this thread I have discouraged people from applying to Michigan Tech for that very purpose. Even when they fund, it is usually not full and this has been the consensus on even grad cafe.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 2:31am On Jan 16, 2019
MasterforceII:
Nice that people are posting about their applications. Way to keep the thread lively and inspire fall2020 applicants and beyond. I remember the exploits of Scholastica16, drhopeful, femi132 et al and how reading their stories kept me going.

I applied to 9 schools for a mix of MS and PhD programs:

Virginia Tech (MS)
Purdue University (MS)
Auburn University (MS)
Colorado state university (MS)
University of Maryland (PhD)
University of Massachusetts (Ms/PhD)
University of Tennessee (PhD)
Iowa State university (PhD)
Rennsalear polytechnic institute (PhD)

Profile:
Program: Electrical Engineering
CGPA: 3.64/4.00
GRE: 163Q/158V/4
TOEFL: 104

I was a bit ambitious with my applications this year. Reason being that I have seen people with lesser profiles get admitted into these schools. I've put in my best and corresponded with professors in some schools. I'm hopeful that one of these schools provides admission and funding. I however have a contingency plan but I hope it doesn't come to that.

#Fall2019 #YesWeCan

Very good selections and I am very certain you will get at least 2 of them on a full ride. There is a Nigerian from UI or so who even got into Iowa State's E/E PhD program fall 2018 whose profile is not better than yours. Sometimes, one just needs favour which you are in abundance of this time around. Good luck making a choice.

#YesYouWill

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 2:48am On Jan 16, 2019
I know much has been said about top schools and programs in the past, but there is more to schooling here than just that. As much as possible (especially for those of you with more than 1 option) make sure to investigate the culture of the school as it relates to people from this part of the world or from different academic backgrounds. Some of those top schools are overwhelmingly unwelcoming to new intakes or have this smug and super-competitive aura about them. if you are not thick-skinned you will suffer. That smaller school with a kind PI may just be what you need to settle.

US education is not as easy as vaunted. There are certain things that can be draining. Presentations, Term papers, reports. And then the volume of homework. Many times getting good grades is about over-applying yourself rather being brainy even though being brainy helps.

In the past 4 months I have been applying for internships against summer. The feedbacks have been disconcerting to say the least, but we keep pushing. So far, I am certain I have made about 70+ applications with 20+ rejections. The essence of saying this is not to discourage anyone. I am just chronicling my experiences so that when the story changes, it will make for a good ending. There are some Nigerians that have gotten into Internship programs in top companies like Tesla, Cummins, Micron etc. In my little experience, having some sort of programming or coding skill makes a wealth of difference because that is the major skill that many companies look for amongst others. Having good extracurriculars, leadership experiences are also very useful.

It is important to also mention that some US citizens themselves have not secured internships regardless of the fact that, most of the rejections many Nigerians will face in the job search will be based on work authorization and citizenship. The good thing is, there are many many many job openings and once there is a will, there is a way.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by BikeMan: 7:52am On Jan 16, 2019
Scholastica16:
I know much has been said about top schools and programs in the past, but there is more to schooling here than just that. As much as possible (especially for those of you with more than 1 option) make sure to investigate the culture of the school as it relates to people from this part of the world or from different academic backgrounds. Some of those top schools are overwhelmingly unwelcoming to new intakes or have this smug and super-competitive aura about them. if you are not thick-skinned you will suffer. That smaller school with a kind PI may just be what you need to settle.

US education is not as easy as vaunted. There are certain things that can be draining. Presentations, Term papers, reports. And then the volume of homework. Many times getting good grades is about over-applying yourself rather being brainy even though being brainy helps.

In the past 4 months I have been applying for internships against summer. The feedbacks have been disconcerting to say the least, but we keep pushing. So far, I am certain I have made about 70+ applications with 20+ rejections. The essence of saying this is not to discourage anyone. I am just chronicling my experiences so that when the story changes, it will make for a good ending. There are some Nigerians that have gotten into Internship programs in top companies like Tesla, Cummins, Micron etc. In my little experience, having some sort of programming or coding skill makes a wealth of difference because that is the major skill that many companies look for amongst others. Having good extracurriculars, leadership experiences are also very useful.

It is important to also mention that some US citizens themselves have not secured internships regardless of the fact that, most of the rejections many Nigerians will face in the job search will be based on work authorization and citizenship. The good thing is, there are many many many job openings and once there is a will, there is a way.
Appreciate this man, what school?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Olalekank(m): 8:41am On Jan 16, 2019
BikeMan:
Appreciate this man, what school?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Olalekank(m): 8:42am On Jan 16, 2019
Scholastica16:
I know much....

In the past 4 months I have been applying for internships against summer.........

Thanks for the kind words man!
Wishing you the best!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Mikkyboy(m): 9:17am On Jan 16, 2019
Weldone Scholastica16. I'm sure you'll be excellent there even with the workload.I am also positive you'll get a placement for summer.
Thank you for your encouragements and kind words.You have not forgotten this forum even with your tight schedule.

I must also add that formally the waiting period has begun as most Universities deadline has passed(Jan 15th).Let all FALL19 hopefuls gather for a month power crusade titled " Admissions must come with Full funding" featuring veteran 'pastors'. Note also that another powerful service will come up in another location to be announced later titled " No delay - Visa must be approved". Get ready people. Note: attendance is free, but God loves a cheerful giver grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.

Have a nice day guys.
Scholastica16:

10 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Instinct20(m): 9:36am On Jan 16, 2019
Mikkyboy:
Weldone Scholastica16. I'm sure you'll be excellent there even with the workload.I am also positive you'll get a placement for summer.
Thank you for your encouragements and kind words.You have not forgotten this forum even with your tight schedule.

I must also add that formally the waiting period has begun as most Universities deadline has passed(Jan 15th).Let all FALL19 hopefuls gather for a month power crusade titled " Admissions must come with Full funding" featuring veteran 'pastors'. Note also that another powerful service will come up in another location to be announced later titled " No delay - Visa must be approved". Get ready people. Note: attendance is free, but God loves a cheerful giver grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.

Have a nice day guys.

Yes ooo.... By fire by thunder! cheesy
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by solihp(f): 10:43am On Jan 16, 2019
Hello everyone, i hope our day is going on well.

Please I would be writing GRE in the first week of February and I need tips for the verbal aspect of the test as it is my weak point. I have been following this thread for over 5months now and I have all the material on the Google drive shared on this thread. I have watched all magoosh VIDEOS for both the Quantitative and Verbal. So far I have learnt 100 words on the magoosh app(flashcard).

I took the ETS practise test 1 and my score was 162(Q) 143(V). Which is also the range of scores I have been getting on magoosh test practise. Around 158(Q) 146(V).

I just need some strategies to improve on the verbal aspect.

Your help would be most appreciated.

Thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Mikkyboy(m): 11:17am On Jan 16, 2019
For starters,100 words? Or you mean to say a thousand words. Please improve on your word counts o. During my application, I have learnt that the AWA score is very important in selecting candidates for fellowship so think about acing that part of the test too.
solihp:

Please I would be writing GRE in the first week of February and I need tips for the verbal aspect of the test as it is my weak point. I have been following this thread for over 5months now and I have all the material on the Google drive shared on this thread. I have watched all magoosh VIDEOS for both the Quantitative and Verbal. So far I have learnt 100 words on the magoosh app(flashcard).

I took the ETS practise test 1 and my score was 162(Q) 143(V). Which is also the range of scores I have been getting on magoosh test practise. Around 158(Q) 146(V).

Thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by solihp(f): 11:20am On Jan 16, 2019
Mikkyboy:
For starters,100 words? Or you mean to say a thousand words. Please improve on your word counts o. During my application, I have learnt that the AWA score is very important in selecting candidates for fellowship so think about acing that part of the test too.

Hello, thank you for your input. I would act on it. Warm regards
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by as7700: 11:33am On Jan 16, 2019
I think it's better if you could enroll in a crash course to double-up your preparation. Click here

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by solihp(f): 11:39am On Jan 16, 2019
as7700:
I think it's better if you could enroll in a crash course to double-up your preparation. Click here

Okay, I will explore that option. It's just the price I saw for the 45days validity is a bit high for me
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 12:44pm On Jan 16, 2019
Scholastica16:

Very good selections and I am very certain you will get at least 2 of them on a full ride. There is a Nigerian from UI or so who even got into Iowa State's E/E PhD program fall 2018 whose profile is not better than yours. Sometimes, one just needs favour which you are in abundance of this time around. Good luck making a choice.

#YesYouWill

Thanks man. I hope so too. Goodluck with your program and your search for internships.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 5:30pm On Jan 16, 2019
You're correct. I know someone who is there now (PhD Mechanical Engineering) and since he got in, all the promises of funding have been a mirage. He's from a rich family so he is pulling through. Michigan Tech is really disappointing considering the nature of industrial work in Michigan
Scholastica16:

This is not true. In fact, on this thread I have discouraged people from applying to Michigan Tech for that very purpose. Even when they fund, it is usually not full and this has been the consensus on even grad cafe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 5:35pm On Jan 16, 2019
@ bolded , That is key even when applying for admission in STEM fields. When you can code, understand algorithms and solve problems, you have an advantage.

All the best in your internship search.
Scholastica16:

In the past 4 months I have been applying for internships against summer. The feedbacks have been disconcerting to say the least, but we keep pushing. So far, I am certain I have made about 70+ applications with 20+ rejections. The essence of saying this is not to discourage anyone. I am just chronicling my experiences so that when the story changes, it will make for a good ending. There are some Nigerians that have gotten into Internship programs in top companies like Tesla, Cummins, Micron etc. [b]In my little experience, having some sort of programming or coding skill makes a wealth of difference because that is the major skill that many companies look for amongst others. [/b]Having good extracurriculars, leadership experiences are also very useful.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Emeritusseun(m): 7:26pm On Jan 16, 2019
Emeritusseun:
Good day my people,
Please I kindly want to know the distinction between admission with full funding and Admission with graduate assistant.
Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by scipy: 9:37pm On Jan 16, 2019
Hi Beekorly, Here was how i did it as posted by Bikeman

Regards,
BikeMan:
Here it is https://applications.wes.org/igpa-calculator/
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fatsonm: 10:50pm On Jan 16, 2019
Scholastica16:

Pls what about Texas A&M university?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OtunbaRae(m): 5:23am On Jan 17, 2019
Hello people,
Please I need your advice, I did my test since December 11, 2018, and my AWA result has not been released yet. Does it take this long?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Tunjasko(m): 6:45am On Jan 17, 2019
hello gurus, please how do I convert my cgpa to Wes ranking?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OtunbaRae(m): 7:40am On Jan 17, 2019
Good people,
Please I need your advice, I did my test since December 11, 2018, and my AWA result has not been released yet. Does it take this long?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 8:14am On Jan 17, 2019
No way. Contact ETS asap.
OtunbaRae:
Good people,

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Obyknow(m): 8:19am On Jan 17, 2019
Tunjasko:
hello gurus, please how do I convert my cgpa to Wes ranking?
Use WES IGPA calculator
https://applications.wes.org/igpa-calculator/

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by solihp(f): 8:37am On Jan 17, 2019
Please I still need more thoughts on this

solihp:

Thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CuteRedd(f): 10:42am On Jan 17, 2019
solihp:
Please I still need more thoughts on this

practice from verbal grail and try to write/track your mistakes in a log book. Identify your weakness, is it TC, RC or SC once you have found out which section is giving you problems, now drill down to the cause e.g. Could it be you don't know enough words in context, or you fail to understand convoluted passages, or it could just be that your test taking strategies are poor (e.g. time management, tricks and skills to get the right answer even if you don't know the words)

You will need to really identify your area of weakness, inorder to correct it and move forward. Hence, you will keep rotating around that score range.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by solihp(f): 4:19pm On Jan 17, 2019
CuteRedd:
practice from verbal grail and try to write/track your mistakes in a log book. Identify your weakness, is it TC, RC or SC once you have found out which section is giving you problems, now drill down to the cause e.g. Could it be you don't know enough words in context, or you fail to understand convoluted passages, or it could just be that your test taking strategies are poor (e.g. time management, tricks and skills to get the right answer even if you don't know the words)

You will need to really identify your area of weakness, inorder to correct it and move forward. Hence, you will keep rotating around that score range.

Okay, thanks. This has been more than helpful

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by JoshBlack(m): 8:39pm On Jan 17, 2019
Obyknow:

Use WES IGPA calculator
https://applications.wes.org/igpa-calculator/
This works really well

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:17am On Jan 18, 2019
Hello guys.

Pls which Bank offers affordable rates for MasterCard payments. I just paid a $90 application fee @ N370 with my Zenith card. I have a GTB card, is GTB lower because I have 2 more applications to submit?

Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Anfieldboss: 12:47pm On Jan 18, 2019
Hello guys,

Please what are my chances of getting full funding for a PhD in Electrical Engineering (Electric Power Systems) with a profile of

BEng CGPA (WES Unofficial)----- 3.5/4.0
MEng CGPA (WES Unofficial)------3.36/4.0
Work Experience : 4 years with an Electricity Distribution Company
Publications : None, though I hope to publish my thesis

NB: I am not through with my Masters yet, I actually got that GPA assuming I get a B in my Thesis. I intend writing my GRE in the 3rd quarter of the year, by then I should have completed my Masters.

I would also be glad if any one that know of schools with specialization in Electric Power Systems can recommend for me.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by scipy: 5:59pm On Jan 18, 2019
GTBank current rate is @366 naira to the dollar
It is sure cheaper than Zenith
Leone26:
Hello guys.

Pls which Bank offers affordable rates for MasterCard payments. I just paid a $90 application fee @ N370 with my Zenith card. I have a GTB card, is GTB lower because I have 2 more applications to submit?

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (444) (445) (446) (447) (448) (449) (450) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.