Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:14 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (465) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1347344 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) (467) (468) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 10:31pm On Mar 01, 2019
Remen:
Just got an admission letter from University of Florida Gainesville
Congratulations, this is a big catch.
Mind sharing your profile
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by elevatedmind: 9:09am On Mar 02, 2019
Remen:
Just got an admission letter from University of Florida Gainesville

UF is huge... they should fund you, have you contacted the graduate coordinator, POIs?? What's your course?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Remen: 9:38am On Mar 02, 2019
B.Eng Chemical Engr at Uniben
GPA - 4.12
GRE - 307 ( I told myself i was never going to rewrite this exam even though I knew I could do better. I really had no time to study because I have a demanding work plus 2 babies under 3 years.)
I wrote a fantastic personal statement
I have 7years experience in one of the top oil and gas companies in nigeria
I sent mails to profs and d grad coordinator
I applied for Masters in Industrial and Systems Engineering.
Hope the profile is complete....lol
calculator123:

Congratulations, this is a big catch.
Mind sharing your profile

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 9:53am On Mar 02, 2019
Remen:
GPA - 4.12
GRE - 307 ( I told myself i was never going to rewrite this exam even though I knew I could do better. I really had no time to study because I have a demanding work plus 2 babies under 3 years.)
e Neva complete oh. TOEFL Scores (composite and breakdown), any publications or conferences??
Nice profile you have got there �

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2win(m): 9:57am On Mar 02, 2019
Remen:
GPA - 4.12

Funding for your program is highly competitive. I hope they fund you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Josonas: 11:00am On Mar 02, 2019
Still learning. Can anyone advise me on schools( in U.S.A) that I can get funding to study Civil Engineering(M.sc).
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by FriarFrancesco: 12:01pm On Mar 02, 2019
Josonas:
Still learning. Can anyone advise me on schools( in U.S.A) that I can get funding to study Civil Engineering(M.sc).

Pls will also need schools in US for MS Electrical Engineering. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 2:37pm On Mar 02, 2019
Gre and todfl
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Josonas: 7:12pm On Mar 02, 2019
ponpon:
Accepting Gre and Toefl reg...

Email Patrick.jimoh60@gmail.com
Bros.I have your mail Sir.Kindly help.with my question.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pragya2017: 7:20pm On Mar 02, 2019
I got admitted into University of Iowa(Msc Finance) Temple University(MBA).

Still waiting for the rest.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iamblisz(m): 7:25pm On Mar 02, 2019
NoelJunior:

Amen. Thank you sir. I had Q160, V150 and AWA 4.0. I studied volumes 1 and 2 repeatedly (at least twice each), together with the ETS Maths Review.

I sent you a mail.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 7:46pm On Mar 02, 2019
pragya2017:

Congrats. Did your MBA admit come with any scholarship?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pragya2017: 7:55pm On Mar 02, 2019
MasterforceII:

Congrats. Did your MBA admit come with any scholarship?

I just got the email yesterday. I have sent them an email about the scholarship. Also, the information i got from my friend is that they usually send the letter for scholarship separately. Am optimistic and expectant.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mayDtolu(m): 9:21pm On Mar 02, 2019
pragya2017:

Congratulations to you!! Can you share your profile with us?( GRE, TOEFL etc)...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aduz: 12:25am On Mar 03, 2019
Congratulations to those that got admitted.
Please i really need help :
am planning to write my GRE and TOEFL in few months time.
I studied microbiology (undergrad). I want to study Biotechnology (masters). In the united state
Please i need suggestions on schools that run this program with graduate assistantships and tuition waiver.

Again, a site that you feel will really help my searc for schools.

Thanks in anticipation

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Yildiz: 7:00am On Mar 03, 2019
Good morning all,
I recently sent a prof. at cleveland state university an email for an opening in his lab but he did not response. Just today I saw an email for the department Chair offering me a teaching assistantship. The offer came as an attached pdf file with my name on the letter. He also sent me an advert to apply to the department. On the teaching assistantship pdf, part of the conditions is for me to apply to the the school. I am just confused about the whole thing. He gave me 9 days to accept the offer.
First of all his email checks out on the department website. How should I proceed please.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 7:35pm On Mar 03, 2019
Yildiz:
Good morning all,
I recently sent a prof. at cleveland state university an email for an opening in his lab but he did not response. Just today I saw an email for the department Chair offering me a teaching assistantship. The offer came as an attached pdf file with my name on the letter. He also sent me an advert to apply to the department. On the teaching assistantship pdf, part of the conditions is for me to apply to the the school. I am just confused about the whole thing. He gave me 9 days to accept the offer.
First of all his email checks out on the department website. How should I proceed please.

They want you to apply to them. What is confusing about it? They probably had someone reject them and your profile makes them feel you are a great fit to replace the person. So when he saw your profile he spoke with the department chair and they offered you the provisional admission. Provisional because you have not yet applied and they want to make a decision soon.

Go to the school's portal, department etc, apply for the program and attach all attachables. I don't think there is anything confusing.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Yildiz: 8:16pm On Mar 03, 2019
Thank you Sir. Will do that asap.
Scholastica16:

They want you to apply to them. What is confusing about it? They probably had someone reject them and your profile makes them feel you are a great fit to replace the person. So when he saw your profile he spoke with the department chair and they offered you the provisional admission. Provisional because you have not yet applied and they want to make a decision soon.

Go to the school's portal, department etc, apply for the program and attach all attachables. I don't think there is anything confusing.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 2:30pm On Mar 05, 2019
Which
Josonas:

Bros.I have your mail Sir.Kindly help.with my question.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fatsonm: 11:28am On Mar 06, 2019
Pls house what's the difference between masters of philosophy Mphil and masters of science Msc?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by FA13(m): 12:13pm On Mar 06, 2019
Good day everyone,
When you are offered admission (PhD) with no word on funding, do you accept it first before seeking funding or the other way round?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 1:02pm On Mar 06, 2019
FA13:
Good day everyone,
When you are offered admission (PhD) with no word on funding, do you accept it first before seeking funding or the other way round?

Depends on the school. Some schools admit you first and after a while, communicate funding decisions.

Nobody should do a PhD in the US without funding. It is your right to ask for it.

Editted

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 1:03pm On Mar 06, 2019
fatsonm:
Pls house what's the difference between masters of philosophy Mphil and masters of science Msc?

MPhil is not popular in the US because they have the direct PhD route.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 2:19pm On Mar 06, 2019
Congrats to all the new admits. Pray you find favour at the embassy.

Been a while I spoke here, so want to reopen the conversation. grin grin .

As for prep, once again, B.Y Mafit is still the awarded best GRE center in West Africa and they offer free Lectures, Magosh account, Manhattan account, Kaplan paperback textbook and all, for those who are having difficulties with the GRE and TOEFL or for those who want to significantly improve on their scores. Its worth checking out. www.gregmattoeflnigeria.com

As for scholarships and funding, it's getting tougher than ever before, so, you must ensure your game is tight. I've heard from some quarters the the GRE test is getting a bit harder. Unconfirmed though, so, get your hands on latest materials.

As for school selection, make your research extensively and don't just apply to a school because others are applying to it. Look closely at thier CGPA requirements and GRE score requirement. Ensure you meet the minimum requirements.

As for scholarships, the best is the one given by the school. There are scholarship awarding bodies you can take a look at though, such as the Fulbright Foreign Student Program in USA, 2019 Future Global Leaders Fellowship, ICSP Scholarships at University of Oregon USA, AAUW International Fellowships in USA for Women and Hubert Humphrey Fellowships in USA for International Students.

As for preparing for your visa interview, I'm not sure Mafit still does that but during my time there, they prepared me during the lectures, for free.

Best of luck. I'll be posting more information in due time.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by AkAbiola(m): 2:36pm On Mar 06, 2019
Please, I need your help.
Please, Don't mind how undecided my question sounds. I'm a novice in this matter.

If I am planning towards Spring 2020 resumption in the US for a PhD GA programme, when exactly is best for me to register for GRE and secondly, when is it okay to write GRE... Please ,be informed that I'm only starting the GRE prep this month.

And also , when is the best month to register for TOEFL and write it.

And a lady friend told me , I will later need to evaluate my cgpa and it usually takes long according to her.

So, putting all these together, help me with time /month evaluation so that I can fix my target on your evaluation.

Thanks wonderful people...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 3:12pm On Mar 06, 2019
AkAbiola:
Please, Don't mind how undecided my question sounds. I'm a novice in this matter.

If I am planning towards Spring 2020 resumption in the US for a PhD GA programme, when exactly is best for me to register for GRE and secondly, when is it okay to write GRE... Please ,be informed that I'm only starting the GRE prep this month.

And a lady friend told me , I will later need to evaluate my cgpa and it usually takes long according to her.

So, putting all these together, help me with time /month evaluation so that I can fix my target on your evaluation.

Since you're interested in a GA position, you'll most likely need both the GRE and TOEFL.
Now is the best time to start. The order in which to write GRE and TOEFL depends on you. Anyone can come first, but personally I feel taking the GRE first is better.
You can prepare from now and write GRE in June or early July. TOEFL prep takes much less time (say two weeks or less) and can be written by you in that same July. I believe applications should have begun by July or August for Spring admission.
Concerning evaluating your undergrad result, this would depend on the school you're applying to. So do your research on what schools have higher chances of offering GAs and have researchers who share similar research interests with you. Contact these researchers telling them how aligned your research interests are with theirs and how you intend to join their research labs. Find out from the school websites and graduate coordinators (their contact details should be evident on their websites) if GPA evaluations are required. But I'll also advice that there are other schools which do not require these evaluations.
From the info you'll get online you'll make informed decisions on what each school's requirements are and which schools have higher prospects for funding (You can check msinus and gradecafe for guidance too).
Also read through many pages on this thread and you'll get more info.
Also, it seems funding in Spring is less feasible than in Fall. PhD applicants seem more likely to be funded than MSc applicants. But I've seen exceptional cases in both scenarios.

Sorry that my answers are somewhat scattered. grin
I hope this helps.

All the best!

6 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 3:14pm On Mar 06, 2019
AkAbiola:

In this case, it's different strokes for different folks. Some start their prep for the GRE and feel they will be ready in a month only to discover that beans is not necessarily the same thing as moi moi angry grin ... In other words, they had to shift the exam forward. Depending on your quants or maths skills, I would generally recommend two months prep for GRE. If you do marathon reading, 3 weeks should be okay for TOEFL. So, maybe do TOEFL first and get that out of the way, before moving on to GRE. Major hinderance to this would be the deadline of the school for submission of standardized test scores, since its spring admission. You may want to factor this in, when choosing a test date. But don't rush and end up having poor grades.

START YOUR EVALUATION TODAY! I heard WES now takes forever to evaluate documents. Someone that just arrived my school told me his own took 4 months. So, it's better to start right now.

All the best.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by scipy: 3:16pm On Mar 06, 2019
GUys, I just got an admit for USF
Elect/Elect

Praying funding follows

11 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by doziej84: 3:21pm On Mar 06, 2019
FA13:
Good day everyone,

My brother, the thing tire me sef....I've got 2 admits(PhD).....no funding.

Who knows if it's because I submitted unofficial scores of Transcript, GRE & TOEFL?......but it was explicitly stated on the school website, that one can submit officials after admittance.

My diastole & systole contraction rate has been on the increase, and these schools aren't helping matters.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by doziej84: 3:29pm On Mar 06, 2019
Scholastica16:

Depends on the school. Some schools air you first and after a while, communicate funding decisions.

Nobody should do a PhD in the US without funding. It is your right to ask for it.

Like how long between admission notification, and notification of funding?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:14pm On Mar 06, 2019
NOTICE:

I am offering FREE GRE Registration for Just 5 People.

To Qualify;
A valid Nigerian International Passport

Offer Valid while stock last.

Thanks.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Jung(m): 5:37pm On Mar 06, 2019
AffordableTests:
NOTICE:

I am offering FREE GRE Registration for Just 5 People.

To Qualify;
A valid Nigerian International Passport

Offer Valid while stock last.

Thanks.

Please gimme a spot!! cry I legit need it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) (467) (468) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.