Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,591 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (473) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1347557 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) (476) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 3:01pm On Mar 22, 2019
Yes, or even a school essay. I think he's asking to see a technical work from you to see how you write and reason from your experience probably stated on your SOP or something.

First, make your project report neat. Run it on the net for plagiarism, if you haven't and edit until <20%. Make sure your citations are clean too. Then, review your arguments/explanations from your experiments and also your conclusion.

Or you could produce a 1-2 page summary of your project, cited and referenced properly. I would suggest you do this instead because dissertations are voluminous a lot of times, and you should want to save him the stress going through chapters of methods etc and literature review. Some of my applications asked for such.

Your email should also inform him about what you are sending.
4gunners:
Thanks for taking your time to reply. Do you think my final year project thesis will suffice as a technical paper? I've not written nor published any journal.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by BankManager(m): 8:24pm On Mar 22, 2019
[/b]
Remen:
I got my transcript [b]in less that 2weeks
.. If you are just going tru the portal, you will wait forever.I have a contact at Exams n records that can help you
Hi.. Also finished from UNIBEN.. I intend going abroad for Masters and I really wanna get my transcript in less than two weeks two.. Can you kindly share the contact at Exams and Record to me.?.. #bless
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by BankManager(m): 8:25pm On Mar 22, 2019
[/b]
Remen:
I got my transcript [b]in less that 2weeks
.. If you are just going tru the portal, you will wait forever.I have a contact at Exams n records that can help you
Hi.. Also finished from UNIBEN.. I intend going abroad for Masters and I really wanna get my transcript in less than two weeks. Can you kindly share the contact at Exams and Record to me.?.. #bless
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 4gunners(m): 8:31pm On Mar 22, 2019
CptCharlesVane:
Yes, or even a school essay. I think he's asking to see a technical work from you to see how you write and reason from your experience probably stated on your SOP or something.

First, make your project report neat. Run it on the net for plagiarism, if you haven't and edit until <20%. Make sure your citations are clean too. Then, review your arguments/explanations from your experiments and also your conclusion.

Or you could produce a 1-2 page summary of your project, cited and referenced properly. I would suggest you do this instead because dissertations are voluminous a lot of times, and you should want to save him the stress going through chapters of methods etc and literature review. Some of my applications asked for such.

Your email should also inform him about what you are sending.
Thanks bro. I've sent you a PM.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 12:11am On Mar 25, 2019
I saw this profile somewhere and it is really intimidating.

Hey, guys asking for a friend.

Profile:

* GRE 335 (V 170, Q 165 , AWA: 5)

* Toefl 118

* Btech: 8.1 (#5 in dept in 3rd year, #1 in the final year, 3 Semesters 10/10 Pointer)

3 Internships ( All as Research Assistant )

1) 2 Months at UTokyo

2) 11 Months at IIT-B

3) 12 Months at Georgia Tech

Total Research Exp : 2 years

Selected for Google Summer of Code

Papers :

1 decent journal

2 Top Conferences (IEEE, ACM)

Teaching:

Took AI Lectures at College in Final Year

LORs:

1) IIT Prof 2) Gatech Prof 3)Utokyo prof 4)GSOC Mentor (CERN)

Is this Profile good enough for stanford ? MSCS ? Plz weight in your thoughts. All would be greatly appreciated

Also Plz recommend colleges for the above profile.

If you need more details plz let me know

Na this kind people I wan dey compete with??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Olalekank(m): 2:33am On Mar 25, 2019
calculator123:
I saw this profile somewhere and it is really intimidating.

Hey, guys asking for a friend.

Profile:

* GRE 335 (V 170, Q 165 , AWA: 5)

* Toefl 118

* Btech: 8.1 (#5 in dept in 3rd year, #1 in the final year, 3 Semesters 10/10 Pointer)

3 Internships ( All as Research Assistant )

1) 2 Months at UTokyo

2) 11 Months at IIT-B

3) 12 Months at Georgia Tech

Total Research Exp : 2 years

Selected for Google Summer of Code

Papers :

1 decent journal

2 Top Conferences (IEEE, ACM)

Teaching:

Took AI Lectures at College in Final Year

LORs:

1) IIT Prof 2) Gatech Prof 3)Utokyo prof 4)GSOC Mentor (CERN)

Is this Profile good enough for stanford ? MSCS ? Plz weight in your thoughts. All would be greatly appreciated

Also Plz recommend colleges for the above profile.

If you need more details plz let me know

Na this kind people I wan dey compete with??
No doubt he has a good profile, but it doesn't stop you from also getting an admit, provided you have a good profile also

You're competing with none but yourself

9 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iwriterng(m): 9:58am On Mar 25, 2019
Please would anybody be willing to help me review my SOP. I spent the best part of last week putting it together, and I would appreciate some feedback from an experienced eye. Thank you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:43pm On Mar 25, 2019
So I wrote my GRE Today,
For a little back story, I just graduated a little over three months ago, and got a job immediately as a software engineer, at a fast moving company, with periodic crazy deadlines. So, I had to squeeze in time during mornings at nights to prepare, and learn as much vocabulary as I could.
Fast forward to test Day, I arrived at Dragnet prometric 2 hours before the test, did a quick review, and was first on the line. Got the quant section first, let's just say, it was deadlier than I thought, too many geometry problems, and i loathe euclidean circle geometry a lot. I moved on to the verbal; few mistakes here and there, but I just basically free styled.
At the end of the test, I was assured that I had done very terribly, and was superbly afraid to click "report scores". Then I clicked
QUANTITATIVE - 163
VERBAL - 161
TOTAL - 324

I feel i did terrible in the quant, as i focused too much on the verbal during prep, but I hope to never write GRE ever again, I accept my 324 "laidat".
Bsc. Electrical and Electronics Engineering
GPA - 4.74/5
WES (UNOFFICIAL) 3.82/4.0
GRE - 324 ( Q-163 V-161)
SCHOOLS
STANFORD UNIVERSITY -PHD
UT AUSTIN - PHD
RICE - PHD
CMU AFRICA - MSC

cc- scholastica16 quoran

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheEminentLaity: 2:04pm On Mar 25, 2019
user4321:
So I wrote my GRE Today,
For a little back story, I just graduated a little over three months ago, and got a job immediately as a software engineer, at a fast moving company, with periodic crazy deadlines. So, I had to squeeze in time during mornings at nights to prepare, and learn as much vocabulary as I could.
Fast forward to test Day, I arrived at Dragnet prometric 2 hours before the test, did a quick review, and was first on the line. Got the quant section first, let's just say, it was deadlier than I thought, too many geometry problems, and i loathe euclidean circle geometry a lot. I moved on to the verbal; few mistakes here and there, but I just basically free styled.
At the end of the test, I was assured that I had done very terribly, and was superbly afraid to click "report scores". Then I clicked
QUANTITATIVE - 163
VERBAL - 161
TOTAL - 324

I feel i did terrible in the quant, as i focused too much on the verbal during prep, but I hope to never write GRE ever again, I accept my 324 "laidat".
GPA - 4.74/5
GRE - 324 ( Q-163 V-161)
SCHOOLS
STANFORD UNIVERSITY -PHD
UT AUSTIN - PHD
RICE - PHD
CMU AFRICA - MSC
These are very good scores by any standard. If you feel like you can do better go for it, if not it's alright. You should mix your choice schools a bit, add more 'safe' schools if you can afford the extra fees to avoid stories that touch, if you've read on this thread about the first class-highest-departmental-GPA-ever guy who got into Tufts uni, you'd get the drift. Since you're gunning for a PhD, you should know that many accepted international students have masters degrees with additional research experience + publications. Look up linkedin for profiles of accepted international PhD students at your choice universities to spot the pattern.

Overall great scores, good luck and hope you get in.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by intrinsicniyi(m): 3:49pm On Mar 25, 2019
user4321:
So I wrote my GRE Today,
QUANTITATIVE - 163
VERBAL - 161
TOTAL - 324

GPA - 4.74/5
GRE - 324 ( Q-163 V-161)
SCHOOLS
STANFORD UNIVERSITY -PHD
UT AUSTIN - PHD
RICE - PHD
CMU AFRICA - MSC

cc- scholastica16 quoran

Hello, big congrats on acing your test and your profile is very competitive as well.

A quick one: Can you give a clue on how you mastered the vocabularies/verbal session e.g. study material used and pattern of preparing.

Good luck with your pursuits!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 5:00pm On Mar 25, 2019
@user4321 wow! great scores. All the best!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pierre92(m): 5:43pm On Mar 25, 2019
user4321:
So I wrote my GRE Today,
QUANTITATIVE - 163
VERBAL - 161
TOTAL - 324

[b]Bsc. Electrical and Electronics Engineering
GPA - 4.74/5
GRE - 324 ( Q-163 V-161)
SCHOOLS
STANFORD UNIVERSITY -PHD
UT AUSTIN - PHD
RICE - PHD
CMU AFRICA - MSC
Great scores! As already advised, put in some safe schools and you are good to go

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 6:07pm On Mar 25, 2019
user4321:
So I wrote my GRE Today,
QUANTITATIVE - 163
VERBAL - 161
TOTAL - 324

GPA - 4.74/5
GRE - 324 ( Q-163 V-161)
SCHOOLS
STANFORD UNIVERSITY -PHD
UT AUSTIN - PHD
RICE - PHD
CMU AFRICA - MSC

cc- scholastica16 quoran

congrats User4321,
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 6:42pm On Mar 25, 2019
user4321:
So I wrote my GRE Today,
QUANTITATIVE - 163
VERBAL - 161
TOTAL - 324

GPA - 4.74/5
GRE - 324 ( Q-163 V-161)
SCHOOLS
STANFORD UNIVERSITY -PHD
UT AUSTIN - PHD
RICE - PHD
CMU AFRICA - MSC

cc- scholastica16 quoran
Congrats. Your GPA and GRE no be small thing grin
Boost other parts of your application.
Include safe schools too.
Then I'd also say find schools with somewhat large research groups (with numerous options of POIs to select from). If one doesn't select you another may.

The sky isn't the limit! wink

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Yildiz: 7:06pm On Mar 25, 2019
This is very impressive indeed. Congratulations. But I think you should not just look at school names but also the research areas. Some schools might not have the specific research area you want. Again please consider safe schools.
user4321:
So I wrote my GRE Today,
QUANTITATIVE - 163
VERBAL - 161
TOTAL - 324

GPA - 4.74/5
GRE - 324 ( Q-163 V-161)
SCHOOLS
STANFORD UNIVERSITY -PHD
UT AUSTIN - PHD
RICE - PHD
CMU AFRICA - MSC

cc- scholastica16 quoran

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 9:19pm On Mar 25, 2019
user4321:
So I wrote my GRE Today,
QUANTITATIVE - 163
VERBAL - 161
TOTAL - 324

GPA - 4.74/5
GRE - 324 ( Q-163 V-161)
SCHOOLS
STANFORD UNIVERSITY -PHD
UT AUSTIN - PHD
RICE - PHD
CMU AFRICA - MSC

cc- scholastica16 quoran

Hi,

Congratulations on your scores. Great scores and great profile indeed. What branch of electrical engineering are you looking at? Communications? Embedded systems? or are you going for software engineering?

I guess you're going for Fall 2020? If yes, there's ample time to build a very solid and competitive overall profile. Ace your TOEFL, start building your SOP, engage in extracurricular and volunteer opportunities, see if you can publish a paper (e.g your final year project if it's not already published), build your programming skills, start a project, publish on github, etc.

About the schools, you've made a great selection but like people have noted, it's better to spread the risk. I always refer to the US news ranking (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NrfFVlPHZzXIPUOc_PZXiX-uzb3nmazn/view?usp=sharing) for my list of schools. You should apply to at least 5-6 schools (so start saving up grin) - one from top 10, 2 from 10 - 30, 2 from 30-80 and 1 from >80. In selecting schools, you should also identify the schools with ongoing research that aligns with yours and identify prospective advisors that you can mail for funding opportunities (there are email templates on this thread to help with that).

Goodluck with everything.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 4gunners(m): 11:06pm On Mar 25, 2019
MasterforceII:

Hi,

Congratulations on your scores. Great scores and great profile indeed. What branch of electrical engineering are you looking at? Communications? Embedded systems? or are you going for software engineering?

I guess you're going for Fall 2020? If yes, there's ample time to build a very solid and competitive overall profile. Ace your TOEFL, start building your SOP, engage in extracurricular and volunteer opportunities, see if you can publish a paper (e.g your final year project if it's not already published), build your programming skills, start a project, publish on github, etc.

About the schools, you've made a great selection but like people have noted, it's better to spread the risk. I always refer to the US news ranking (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NrfFVlPHZzXIPUOc_PZXiX-uzb3nmazn/view?usp=sharing) for my list of schools. You should apply to at least 5-6 schools (so start saving up grin) - one from top 10, 2 from 10 - 30, 2 from 30-80 and 1 from >80. In selecting schools, you should also identify the schools with ongoing research that aligns with yours and identify prospective advisors that you can mail for funding opportunities (there are email templates on this thread to help with that).

Goodluck with everything.
Well detailed.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by hybeenoni: 7:56am On Mar 26, 2019
So I received a mail from the graduate coordinator of the department I was admitted to who scheduled a Skype interview for a Graduate Assistanship position with me, could anybody share tips or hints on what to expect from this Skype interview?

Thank You

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ToluwalekeA: 12:36am On Mar 27, 2019
please

anyone going to OHIO UNIVERSITY this fall.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by intrinsicniyi(m): 12:20pm On Mar 27, 2019
user4321:
So I wrote my GRE Today,
QUANTITATIVE - 163
VERBAL - 161
TOTAL - 324

GPA - 4.74/5
GRE - 324 ( Q-163 V-161)
SCHOOLS
STANFORD UNIVERSITY -PHD
UT AUSTIN - PHD
RICE - PHD
CMU AFRICA - MSC

cc- scholastica16 quoran

Bo$$, please which resource should I use for Verbal Vocabulary.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:25pm On Mar 27, 2019
Pls I want to start preparing for my GRE exam, what material would you advice I focus on as a starter?

user4321:
So I wrote my GRE Today,
QUANTITATIVE - 163
VERBAL - 161
TOTAL - 324

GPA - 4.74/5
GRE - 324 ( Q-163 V-161)
SCHOOLS
STANFORD UNIVERSITY -PHD
UT AUSTIN - PHD
RICE - PHD
CMU AFRICA - MSC

cc- scholastica16 quoran
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 7:22pm On Mar 27, 2019
hybeenoni:
So I received a mail from the graduate coordinator of the department I was admitted to who scheduled a Skype interview for a Graduate Assistanship position with me, could anybody share tips or hints on what to expect from this Skype interview?

Thank You

Congrats on your admission!

You can follow this link on what to look out for in an interview of this type: https://www.nairaland.com/1832477/how-achieve-high-scores-gre/99#47881174

All the best.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by papilo90(m): 1:33pm On Mar 29, 2019
Hello guys, please I need your quick reply. For those who have used the official WES evaluation. If one wants to evaluate a university transcript!
How long does the evaluation process take?
Anticipating.........

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Obyknow(m): 1:57pm On Mar 29, 2019
papilo90:
Hello guys, please I need your quick reply. For those who have used the official WES evaluation. If one wants to evaluate a university transcript!
How long does the evaluation process take?
Anticipating.........
WES Evaluation Report is completed within 12 business days of confirmation and review of the required documents and fees

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ToluwalekeA: 2:04pm On Mar 29, 2019
any prospective ohio university student pls
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pragya2017: 7:29pm On Mar 29, 2019
Does a low GRE score affect one's ability to get a good internship or job prospect after study especially for those in business school?
Or what does it affect apart from admission?

Thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CuteRedd(f): 8:21pm On Mar 29, 2019
pragya2017:
Does a low GRE score affect one's ability to get a good internship or job prospect after study especially for those in business school?

Thank you
if you are going into consulting it’s a no brainer oooo!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 1:49am On Mar 30, 2019
pragya2017:

Thank you

As soon as you have been admitted into a University, your GRE score does not matter. It is just like asking what role UTME score plays in getting an internship or a job in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 1:53am On Mar 30, 2019
user4321:
So I wrote my GRE Today,
QUANTITATIVE - 163
VERBAL - 161
TOTAL - 324

GPA - 4.74/5
GRE - 324 ( Q-163 V-161)
SCHOOLS
STANFORD UNIVERSITY -PHD
UT AUSTIN - PHD
RICE - PHD
CMU AFRICA - MSC

cc- scholastica16 quoran

Your profile is set as it is. You know the cliché; Strong SOPs, good LORs etc and you are good. Stanford is a real hard sell but the other 2 schools are achievable. Like most people said, add more schools to that list like UIUC, Washington state, Colorado Boulder etc (of that cadre). Everything really is not about rankings. When you get here, you will know why. Cheers. You are one very smart chap.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cdor777: 5:48am On Mar 30, 2019
Hello scholars, I bumped on this thread while searching for GRE study materials. However, I have so far been seeing scholars posting good news of their admission and funding into their desired universities.

In the light of above statement, I would be appreciative if successful applicants can give me an insight into their application process; I am a graduate of Educational Technology with a CGPA of 4.17/5.0 and I plan to write my GRE by July

1. Which of the universities can I apply for masters in EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY, INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY OR COMPUTER SCIENCE
2. How can I apply for funding

Thanks in anticipations for your response
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pronto543(m): 8:19am On Mar 30, 2019
Good morning esteemed colleagues,

I received an official GRA offer which includes full tuition waiver and fees from my potential advisor yesterday for fall 2019 at University of Kansas (KU). She notified me by mail on Thursday that she had secured 2 years GRA offer for me regardless of the outcome the fellowship offer I was nominated and applied for 8 weeks ago. The offer is in addition to School of Engineering scholarship I was awarded 5 weeks back.

I greatly appreciate the effort of everyone on this thread. Full funding mail will continue to flow in for all.
#fall2019 #yeswecan

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Joyflexxy(f): 8:48am On Mar 30, 2019
Congratulations
pronto543:
Good morning esteemed colleagues,

I received an official GRA offer which includes full tuition waiver and fees from my potential advisor yesterday for fall 2019 at University of Kansas (KU). She notified me by mail on Thursday that she had secured 2 years GRA offer for me regardless of the outcome the fellowship offer I was nominated and applied for 8 weeks ago. The offer is in addition to School of Engineering scholarship I was awarded 5 weeks back.

I greatly appreciate the effort of everyone on this thread. Full funding mail will continue to flow in for all.
#fall2019 #yeswecan

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) (476) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.