Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:39 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (476) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1347296 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (473) (474) (475) (476) (477) (478) (479) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Jung(m): 12:56pm On Apr 02, 2019
mayort12:
Hi everyone!
Please I need a serious study buddy for the gre,
I reside in Lagos, any serious person should please let's connect.
Thanks in anticipation.

You sabi quant? Make we hook up asap biko.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by lakland(m): 5:01pm On Apr 02, 2019
[quote author=MIYATI post=77192258]Please is there anyone who knows interpretation of spectra very well, please I need help[/quote
Which of the spectral NMR,UV,IR
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MIYATI: 5:20pm On Apr 02, 2019
[quote author=lakland post=77205500][/quote]
NMR AND IR
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temidayodamoye(m): 7:43pm On Apr 02, 2019
mayort12:
Hi everyone!
Please I need a serious study buddy for the gre,
I reside in Lagos, any serious person should please let's connect.
Thanks in anticipation.

When is your exam?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Neeta02(f): 10:48am On Apr 03, 2019
Good day house. Please I need info about GRE, I wanna apply for MSc. I found out GRE is among the requirements. Possibly if I can get materials to study please. Also, where & when can I register for it? Help please

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iblion: 11:09am On Apr 03, 2019
please guys i need material for GRE and how long should someone study for in order to be sure of getting good marks in the exam. abeg my people
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mtope: 11:59am On Apr 03, 2019
Read through the thread from page 1. Everything you need is here.
Neeta02:
Good day house. Please I need info about GRE, I wanna apply for MSc. I found out GRE is among the requirements. Possibly if I can get materials to study please. Also, where & when can I register for it? Help please
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mayort12(f): 12:18pm On Apr 03, 2019
What's up?
I sabi small
Jung:

You sabi quant? Make we hook up asap biko.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mayort12(f): 12:19pm On Apr 03, 2019
Towards April end,
You?
temidayodamoye:

When is your exam?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GeeRaoult: 1:28pm On Apr 03, 2019
Do you leave anywhere any Badagry and are interested in the exam come May, then let's meet. I've been prepping for a couple of months even though erratically. I'm going for Fall 2020.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GeeRaoult: 1:37pm On Apr 03, 2019
Quoran, I've been silent follower and as it is, you have what I need. Plz can we connect and I need to ask you sth?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Jung(m): 1:43pm On Apr 03, 2019
mayort12:
What's up?
I sabi small
Which side you dey? Im at Ojuelegba.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sharon8: 3:13pm On Apr 03, 2019
Please when you send gre scores to schools, do you get any correspondence from them??
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ToluwalekeA: 5:13pm On Apr 03, 2019
doziej84:

Please, is there any good Samaritan who can come to my aid?

I have made an application to the University of Louisiana (PhD in Earth & Energy sciences, Fall 2019), but I can't afford to send my GRE & TOEFL scores.

I have exhausted my funds, Deadline is February 1, and this is the Last school on my bucket list.

Pls, I could either pay back by early February, when I collect my monthly pay or give a collateral as a sign of good faith.

Abeg ooo, na beg i dey beg.....even if you can help me send one....I'd appreciate.

God Bless

Hello

please were you admitted to the PhD program at louisiana lafayette. thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 6:50pm On Apr 03, 2019
Sharon8:
Please when you send gre scores to schools, do you get any correspondence from them??

No. Two things you can do; check your application portal, the column for GRE results should acknowledge that they have received it but your best bet is to communicate with the grad coordinator with this query as the body of the email. Many times, the portal is hardly ever updated in time whereas they have received the official scores.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temidayodamoye(m): 9:57pm On Apr 03, 2019
mayort12:
Towards April end,
You?

May ending
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:21pm On Apr 03, 2019
user4321:
So I wrote my GRE Today,
For a little back story, I just graduated a little over three months ago, and got a job immediately as a software engineer, at a fast moving company, with periodic crazy deadlines. So, I had to squeeze in time during mornings at nights to prepare, and learn as much vocabulary as I could.
Fast forward to test Day, I arrived at Dragnet prometric 2 hours before the test, did a quick review, and was first on the line. Got the quant section first, let's just say, it was deadlier than I thought, too many geometry problems, and i loathe euclidean circle geometry a lot. I moved on to the verbal; few mistakes here and there, but I just basically free styled.
At the end of the test, I was assured that I had done very terribly, and was superbly afraid to click "report scores". Then I clicked
QUANTITATIVE - 163
VERBAL - 161
TOTAL - 324

I feel i did terrible in the quant, as i focused too much on the verbal during prep, but I hope to never write GRE ever again, I accept my 324 "laidat".
Bsc. Electrical and Electronics Engineering
GPA - 4.74/5
WES (UNOFFICIAL) 3.82/4.0
GRE - 324 ( Q-163 V-161)
SCHOOLS
STANFORD UNIVERSITY -PHD
UT AUSTIN - PHD
RICE - PHD
CMU AFRICA - MSC

cc- scholastica16 quoran
Official scores came in today
Q-163 V-161 AWA- 4.5

17 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by opexy89: 7:12am On Apr 04, 2019
Pls someone help me with sites I can use to search and choose schools. Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 4gunners(m): 8:18am On Apr 04, 2019
opexy89:
Pls someone help me with sites I can use to search and choose schools. Thanks
Msinus.com, thegradcafe.com

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by opexy89: 5:26pm On Apr 05, 2019
MasterforceII:

Hi,

Congratulations on your scores. Great scores and great profile indeed. What branch of electrical engineering are you looking at? Communications? Embedded systems? or are you going for software engineering?

I guess you're going for Fall 2020? If yes, there's ample time to build a very solid and competitive overall profile. Ace your TOEFL, start building your SOP, engage in extracurricular and volunteer opportunities, see if you can publish a paper (e.g your final year project if it's not already published), build your programming skills, start a project, publish on github, etc.

About the schools, you've made a great selection but like people have noted, it's better to spread the risk. I always refer to the US news ranking (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NrfFVlPHZzXIPUOc_PZXiX-uzb3nmazn/view?usp=sharing) for my list of schools. You should apply to at least 5-6 schools (so start saving up grin) - one from top 10, 2 from 10 - 30, 2 from 30-80 and 1 from >80. In selecting schools, you should also identify the schools with ongoing research that aligns with yours and identify prospective advisors that you can mail for funding opportunities (there are email templates on this thread to help with that).

Goodluck with everything.
sent a mail already. Pls reply with ur whatsapp number
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Hassanolek: 12:13pm On Apr 06, 2019
I wrote my GRE last week Thursday at Uniprep but I just got my official result today.

I started preparation for GRE towards the end of January but I wasn't really consistent, and on average I only prepared for like 1.5 month. The first month of my practice was dedicated to practicing QR questions from 5lb and the official guide while pertaining to VR all what I was doing was learning words from the Magoosh App. In the last leg of my practice days, I started taking mocks from Baron, Powerprep, ETS official guide and the range of my mock result is QR(160-165), VR(154).

Fast forwarded to the exam day, in order to be sangfroid and maintain my equanimity on the exam day,I tried not to tergiversate my psyche with esoteric words and arcane math problems few days to the exam though I was still going through some of my antediluvian solutions. After going through those preliminary processes at the exam centre I was shown my stand and Issue writing was the first to surface and in 25 mins I was done with it though I had issues coming up with very cool points but my argument was nice, I was able to transit nicely between my paragraphs.

After my analytical, QR came in and it was very simple, I guess it was the experimental while the VR that followed was turning my head, from there I knew there was a 'nuke' on the mountain not even fire. The other two QRs were a little bit harder more than my mocks and the 2nd VR was average(as expected because I messed up in the first one).

Las las, I reported my score and I saw QR(160), VR(152). I was crestfallen because I never had it that low in any of my mocks. From the official score sent to me today the analytical is 3.5.

Immediately I saw the score at the centre, I just told myself "guy, life goes on" and I sent my scores to
Iowa state University
University of South Florida
Florida State University
University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa.

Profile:
GRE 312
GPA 3.73/4.00(WES unofficial)
TOEFL: still preparing
Intended Course: PhD Chemitry/Biochemistry

Team Fall 2020

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 2:32pm On Apr 06, 2019
Hassanolek:

I wrote my GRE last week Thursday at Uniprep but I just got my official result today.

I started preparation for GRE towards the end of January but I wasn't really consistent, and on average I only prepared for like 1.5 month. The first month of my practice was dedicated to practicing QR questions from 5lb and the official guide while pertaining to VR all what I was doing was learning words from the Magoosh App. In the last leg of my practice days, I started taking mocks from Baron, Powerprep, ETS official guide and the range of my mock result is QR(160-165), VR(154).

Fast forwarded to the exam day, in order to be sangfroid and maintain my equanimity on the exam day,I tried not to tergiversate my psyche with esoteric words and arcane math problems few days to the exam though I was still going through some of my antediluvian solutions. After going through those preliminary processes at the exam centre I was shown my stand and Issue writing was the first to surface and in 25 mins I was done with it though I had issues coming up with very cool points but my argument was nice, I was able to transit nicely between my paragraphs.

After my analytical, QR came in and it was very simple, I guess it was the experimental while the VR that followed was turning my head, from there I knew there was a 'nuke' on the mountain not even fire. The other two QRs were a little bit harder more than my mocks and the 2nd VR was average(as expected because I messed up in the first one).

Las las, I reported my score and I saw QR(160), VR(152). I was crestfallen because I never had it that low in any of my mocks. From the official score sent to me today the analytical is 3.5.

Immediately I saw the score at the centre, I just told myself "guy, life goes on" and I sent my scores to
Iowa state University
University of South Florida
Florida State University
University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa.

Profile:
GRE 312
GPA 3.73/4.00(WES unofficial)
TOEFL: still preparing
Intended Course: PhD Chemitry/Biochemistry

Team Fall 2020
Congratulations on your scores!
The GRE isn't easy, so no need to beat yourself up. You have a good GPA.
I would like to suggest you check out graduate profiles of admitted and funded students at the universities you've sent your scores to on gradecafe. This may give you an idea if your profile is also competitive. Contact the Graduate Coordinators of these schools, and if you're fortunate enough they may give you an idea of the nature of funding you may secure with your current profile. Also remember that other aspects of your profile are very important (SOP, Recommendation letters, research experience, publications,...). Also have you contacted POIs? Do they sound optimistic? Are there options of POIs within these schools who may take you on as a research student if the other doesn't secure funding? These are some other questions you'll need to ask yourself.
Once you've done all these you may decide whether or not to go ahead and make applications or consider rewriting. But I would suggest you exhaust other options before considering rewriting (at least you've still got some time to make a decision assuming your target is Spring/Fall 2020).

I wish you the best in your endeavours!

Congrats again!!

9 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by doziej84: 6:08am On Apr 08, 2019
ToluwalekeA:

Hello

please were you admitted to the PhD program at louisiana lafayette. thanks

Yes, I WAS admitted without Funding.

These schools could be funny sometimes. I just dey look dem.

were you admitted?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2win(m): 9:25am On Apr 08, 2019
doziej84:

were you admitted?

Why is funding scarce for this fall 2019? Have seen many PhD admit without any form of funding
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kaydp: 11:06am On Apr 08, 2019
doziej84:

were you admitted?
I was admitted as well. I mailed grad coord regarding funding and his response was that they are reviewing my profile for possible funding opportunities. Although, I had an interview with a POI weeks back.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:11am On Apr 09, 2019
user4321:

Official scores came in today
Q-163 V-161 AWA- 4.5
TOEFL scores came in today had 116/120 cheesy
Reading -28
Listening -30
Speaking -28
Writing - 30

Edit: I wrote these two exams while working full time ( man GATS hustle), Being Nigerian is hard embarassed.
A wonderful thank you to BY Mafit, for their wonderful discount .
Scholastica16, we are still looking up to you sir grin

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 7:10am On Apr 09, 2019
user4321:

Reading -28
Listening -30
Speaking -28
Writing - 30

Edit: I wrote these two exams while working full time ( man GATS hustle), Being Nigerian is hard embarassed.
Wow. Congrats. Your scores have been great.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mtope: 9:16am On Apr 09, 2019
Congratulations!!! how long did you prepare for TOEFL? what materials did you use? Please could you mention a specific one.
user4321:

Reading -28
Listening -30
Speaking -28
Writing - 30

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:30am On Apr 09, 2019
mtope:
Congratulations!!! how long did you prepare for TOEFL? what materials did you use? Please could you mention a specific one.
Honestly, I didn't put much effort into TOEFL, since the GRE verbal was way harder than TOEFL, I put my effort there instead, but three weeks to my exam, I used Princeton review, cracking the TOEFL. Writing isn't a problem for me, because I have a blog where I write constantly, I can slightly mimic the British accent, and my reading was helped with KAPLAN's online GRE prep (I bought the Amazon Kindle book, so they gave me access, their comprehension strategy is top notch)

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:42am On Apr 09, 2019
PS. If you're sending me PM's, unfortunately, I can't access that mail. Sorry about that
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mtope: 9:55am On Apr 09, 2019
Thank you so much ��
user4321:
Honestly, I didn't put much effort into TOEFL, since the GRE verbal was way harder than TOEFL, I put my effort there instead, but three weeks to my exam, I used Princeton review, cracking the TOEFL. Writing isn't a problem for me, because I have a blog where I write constantly, I can slightly mimic the British accent, and my reading was helped with KAPLAN's online GRE prep (I bought the Amazon Kindle book, so they gave me access, their comprehension strategy is top notch)

(1) (2) (3) ... (473) (474) (475) (476) (477) (478) (479) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.