Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,867 members, 7,802,798 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:48 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (588) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1345505 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (585) (586) (587) (588) (589) (590) (591) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Gerrard59(m): 3:55pm On Oct 03, 2021
Mickeywilliams:
Please do you guys think December 6th is too late for GRE? Considering admission for fall 2022

Yes, it's late. Except you are targeting schools with deadlines in January and February. Of which you should have gotten positive feedback from PIs in those institutions to apply.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nicolars(m): 8:09am On Oct 04, 2021
Ok
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nicolars(m): 2:11pm On Oct 04, 2021
I checked online for available dates to write the gre test in lagos. I can't find any info about jan 2022.
Can I take my test in jan 2022?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Galaxybar: 12:39am On Oct 05, 2021
Hello my fellow nlanders,

I’m hoping to write my GRE online by early December or last week in November, so I can get my results sent to schools in good time before the Christmas break.

I saw online that you can write the test online for $200/250 (can’t remember the exact figure) but now I’m seeing some people say they want to register for 50k.

Please what is the legit and accredited GRE platform for writing. Also, who has study materials like Mahmood and Manhattan prep books.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Gentlelord(m): 2:51am On Oct 06, 2021
Good day guys, please who has a Copy of 2020 or 2021 Kaplan? I will appreciate if the person can help me with Key Words, so that I can access their prep test.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Gentlelord(m): 8:26pm On Oct 06, 2021
Any body who has this please?

Gentlelord:
Good day guys, please who has a Copy of 2020 or 2021 Kaplan? I will appreciate if the person can help me with Key Words, so that I can access their prep test.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 2:24am On Oct 10, 2021
Hi everyone, i hope you are doing well. I found links to official GRE books and thought to share.
I would have shared the links directly here however to avoid a DMCA takedown (meaning oyibo people go delete am), i would only share the instructions on how to get them.
1. Go to libgen.rs
2. type the name of the books into the search bar and press enter for example "The official guide to the GRE test"
3. Click any number from 1 to 4 on the mirrors column
4. click either cloudflare, ipfs.io or infura to download the books.

You would find pdf's of every GRE prep book there. You can also find soft copies of any foreign textbook, novel, ebooks that you could possibly need.

Happy studying and stay blessed.

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nicolars(m): 6:29pm On Oct 10, 2021
This GRE don humble me grin
Reading comprehension has made me realize I don’t know how to read embarassed

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nozino: 6:30pm On Oct 10, 2021
I recently wrote GRE and had 329. (v;161, Q;168). I’m waiting for the official result to be released but I’m very worried about the Analytic writing part. I started with that and I’m not sure I aced it. Still waiting on the official result.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bobolizim(m): 7:17pm On Oct 10, 2021
Nozino:
I recently wrote GRE and had 329. (v;161, Q;168). I’m waiting for the official result to be released but I’m very worried about the Analytic writing part. I started with that and I’m not sure I aced it. Still waiting on the official result.

You shouldn’t be perturbed. Not all schools even require that high scores in AWA.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bobolizim(m): 7:21pm On Oct 10, 2021
Gerrard59:

Unfortunately, I don't have a a script for appealing for application waiver. But I believe such exists on the internet. Don't be worried, just state the papers are "in review" on your CV. Attach your transcripts and the professor assess your profile. The main thing is getting the PI's assent/approval.

https://twitter.com/sjay_yayy/status/1436771550443622400?s=08

That thread will be of help to you especially on cold emails and CV
sorry for asking this, is there any difference between Program instructor (PI) and Graduate coordinator ?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Thomsyne(m): 7:43pm On Oct 10, 2021
Nozino:

Congratulations Chief!
Can you pls share any preparation tips?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nozino: 7:57pm On Oct 10, 2021
Thomsyne:

Congratulations Chief!
Can you pls share any preparation tips?

The usual. Use all Manhattan 6 books for Quant, Kaplan For Verbal, follow GRE official guide, join GRE forums and YouTube channels. Read ooo! And give yourself time to prepare. I started GRE preparation since June and I had to reschedule my exam at a point.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nozino: 7:58pm On Oct 10, 2021
bobolizim:

You shouldn’t be perturbed. Not all schools even require that high scores in AWA.

Thank you. I’m planning on writing TOEFL soon so I’m not really worried.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by AlayeMasiga: 8:10pm On Oct 10, 2021
Please can you share the materials with me as well.. Bally4real@gmail.com. Thank
Ope02:

Please can you share the gre material with me. Thanks
zeizerel@yahoo.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Thomsyne(m): 8:11pm On Oct 10, 2021
Nozino:

The usual. Use all Manhattan 6 books for Quant, Kaplan For Verbal, follow GRE official guilds, join GRE forums and YouTube channels. Read ooo! And give yourself time to prepare. I started GRE preparation since June and I had to reschedule my exam at a point.

Thanks bro. Particularly, how did you prepare for the verbal. Those vocabs are my major issue.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 8:22pm On Oct 10, 2021
Nozino:

The usual. Use all Manhattan 6 books for Quant, Kaplan For Verbal, follow GRE official guilds, join GRE forums and YouTube channels. Read ooo! And give yourself time to prepare. I started GRE preparation since June and I had to reschedule my exam at a point.

I would advise against using Manhanttan & others. The only book you need are the official GRE books plus paid practise test. The rest na jara.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nozino: 8:26pm On Oct 10, 2021
DanjaNinja:

I would advise against using Manhanttan & others. The only book you need are the official GRE books plus paid practise test. The rest na jara.

Sir, jara can make all the difference. If you have the time, why not?

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nozino: 8:26pm On Oct 10, 2021
Thomsyne:

Thanks bro. Particularly, how did you prepare for the verbal. Those vocabs are my major issue.

Practice and YouTube tutorials.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GrammarNazi1(m): 8:32pm On Oct 10, 2021
DanjaNinja:

And you think they are enough for everyone?

What evidence do you have to have made this claim apart from the fact that ETS materials are the best?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 8:36pm On Oct 10, 2021
Nozino:

Sir, jara can make all the difference. If you have the time, why not?

Sure but most people don't have time. wink
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nozino: 8:40pm On Oct 10, 2021
DanjaNinja:

Sure but most people don't have time. wink

True.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 8:52pm On Oct 10, 2021
GrammarNazi1:

And you think they are enough for everyone?

What evidence do you have to have made this claim apart from the fact that ETS materials are the best?

Lol. Really? Anyways, kindly forgive my ignorance. I don't have any evidence. You may use any resource you want.

However, for clarity sake - Please note, ETS created the GRE. They have all the keys to the exam. Who best to learn from? ETS, the exam creators or a third party like Manhattan?

And btw, i wrote the exam twice and i started this GRE thread to share lessons from my experience. wink

Stay blessed.

P.S For the curious, i am referring to these books:
1. The Official Guide to the GRE® General Test, Third Edition
2. Official GRE® Verbal Reasoning Practice Questions Volume 1, Second Edition
3. Official GRE® Quantitative Reasoning Practice Questions Volume 1, Second Edition

You can download them using these instructions:

Hi everyone, i hope you are doing well. I found links to official GRE books and thought to share.
I would have shared the links directly here however to avoid a DMCA takedown (meaning oyibo people go delete am), i would only share the instructions on how to get them.
1. Go to libgen.rs
2. type the name of the books into the search bar and press enter for example "The official guide to the GRE test"
3. Click any number from 1 to 4 on the mirrors column
4. click either cloudflare, ipfs.io or infura to download the books.

You would find pdf's of every GRE prep book there. You can also find soft copies of any foreign textbook, novel, ebooks that you could possibly need.

Happy studying and stay blessed.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GrammarNazi1(m): 8:58pm On Oct 10, 2021
DanjaNinja:

Lol. Really? Anyways, kindly forgive my ignorance. I don't have any evidence. You may use any resource you want.

However, for clarity sake - Please note, ETS created the GRE. They have all the keys to the exam. Who best to learn from? ETS, the exam creators or a third party like Manhattan?

And btw, i wrote the exam twice and i started this GRE thread to share lessons from my experience. wink

Stay blessed.
Was this a question of choosing between ETS and third party resources?

Someone who just scored 161 and 168 advised people to use ETS, Kaplan, and Manhattan, yet you are saying only ETS materials should be used as if he said that only third party resources should be used!

I actually understand your reservation concerning this matter especially since the correlation between the inception of At Home GRE and extremely high scores!

I am extremely familiar with the GRE and I understand your reservation once again.

wink

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bobolizim(m): 9:19pm On Oct 10, 2021
Nozino:

Thank you. I’m planning on writing TOEFL soon so I’m not really worried.
I believe most US schools wave English proficiency exams for Nigerians ? Or you are writing in order to have chances of applying to other scholarships and schools.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nozino: 9:24pm On Oct 10, 2021
bobolizim:
I believe most US schools wave English proficiency exams for Nigerians ? Or you are writing in order to have chances of applying to other scholarships and schools.

Basically to get funding.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bobolizim(m): 9:37pm On Oct 10, 2021
Nozino:

Basically to get funding.
really? Does it impede possibility of getting GAs? I would have thought maybe GRE would be enough or if an advisor agrees to accept you to join his lab. There’s a university I saw that ask students not to even submit their GRE scores.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nozino: 9:46pm On Oct 10, 2021
bobolizim:
really? Does it impede possibility of getting GAs? I would have thought maybe GRE would be enough or if an advisor agrees to accept you to join his lab. There’s a university I saw that ask students not to even submit their GRE scores.

I feel it depends on the type of funding and program. Most funding for TA require that an applicant pass an English test irrespective of language. Some GAs also have the same requirement. TOEFL can help you bypass this requirement or having to give an interview. Considering the fact that I’m looking at Ph.D programs which combines research and teaching, I want to write and pass the exam. This is the perfect time for me, I just graduated, no family or job to take my time so I can study mostly full time.

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Gerrard59(m): 1:05am On Oct 11, 2021
bobolizim:
sorry for asking this, is there any difference between Program instructor (PI) and Graduate coordinator ?

From my Google search, no difference except that GC is used in grad school discussions. But generally, they do same the thing.

"The graduate coordinator is an appointed member of the Graduate Program Faculty and serves as the liaison between the department and the Graduate School with delegated authority of the department head. It is the responsibility of the graduate coordinator to implement all policies and procedures of the Graduate Council pertaining to graduate education."

https://grad.uga.edu/index.php/faculty-and-staff/graduate-coordinators/

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Gerrard59(m): 1:11am On Oct 11, 2021
Nozino:

I feel it depends on the type of funding and program. Most funding for TA require that an applicant pass an English test irrespective of language. Some GAs also have the same requirement. TOEFL can help you bypass this requirement or having to give an interview. Considering the fact that I’m looking at Ph.D programs which combines research and teaching, I want to write and pass the exam. This is the perfect time for me, I just graduated, no family or job to take my time so I can study mostly full time.

An impressive score you got there. What is your profile like? That is: course of study and grade. While typing this, I forced myself to guess (you can correct me).

First Class in an engineering discipline? grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nozino: 2:16am On Oct 11, 2021
Gerrard59:

An impressive score you got there. What is your profile like? That is: course of study and grade. While typing this, I forced myself to guess (you can correct me).

First Class in an engineering discipline? grin

Lower credit HND, Mechanical Engineering.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (585) (586) (587) (588) (589) (590) (591) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.