Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,020 members, 7,806,995 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:18 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (61) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1347100 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ajibade105(m): 7:59am On Jan 26, 2016
dudufemi:

I still have it with me, where r u? so that we could no how to do it.

Am in Lagos... I will send you a pm right now....
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 4:47pm On Jan 26, 2016
rabidvirus:
Please somebody should break this statement down for me..

"Have a GRE score (verbal and quantitative sections) of 1200 and a TOEFL score of 550 (paper) or 213 (computer)"
The said GRE score they used is now old. They mean 1200/1600, combined score, I. E quant/ 800 and verbal/800.
Now, it is quant/170 and verbal/170.
Try to convert from the 1600 old scale to the current 340 scale. Around 314/340.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Lamexx(m): 3:52am On Jan 27, 2016
@sirRiddy and the house, make una rescue me here ohh.

Have anyone successfully applied and paid application fees to schools like University of Oklahoma and University of Houston application system that use "Applyweb" portal. I started an application on those schools and till date I can't make payment using my visa card. The error message is " ADDRESS VERIFICATION MISMATCH. The Billing Address did not match that of the cardholder. Please correct". Anyone experiencing the same problem and how did you go about it.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 7:02am On Jan 27, 2016
Lamexx:

Have anyone successfully applied and paid application fees to schools like University of Oklahoma and University of Houston application system that use "Applyweb" portal. I started an application on those schools and till date I can't make payment using my visa card. The error message is " ADDRESS VERIFICATION MISMATCH. The Billing Address did not match that of the cardholder. Please correct". Anyone experiencing the same problem and how did you go about it.

Lol, dis shii happened to me few months ago, if not dat I have used d same card and billing address to make oda payments online, I would have tot I dunno wat m doing... My story is quite famous here, I even had friends in us n uk to help me make payment but it didn't work. Eventually I had to forego d entire application even tho I have completed n submitted every necessary documents.. You can try tell someone in us or uk to help u try or use a master card.. m sure dia is a way around it, dats if u don't want to change school .. best of luck
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Lamexx(m): 10:03pm On Jan 27, 2016
Cephas0009:

Lol, dis shii happened to me few months ago, if not dat I have used d same card and billing address to make oda payments online, I would have tot I dunno wat m doing... My story is quite famous here, I even had friends in us n uk to help me make payment but it didn't work. Eventually I had to forego d entire application even tho I have completed n submitted every necessary documents.. You can try tell someone in us or uk to help u try or use a master card.. m sure dia is a way around it, dats if u don't want to change school .. best of luck

Choi...this is serious
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by rogerdavid: 4:01pm On Jan 28, 2016
Good people of Nigeria
I am sorry that I have been away for sometime. I have been working on my applications.

Just a quick one:
Please how can I prepare a beautiful Statement of purpose (SOP) for a degree in Data Science/Computer science

Does anyone have a link that I might find helpful?

Thank you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 4:21pm On Jan 28, 2016
rogerdavid:
Good people of Nigeria
I am sorry that I have been away for sometime. I have been working on my applications.

Just a quick one:
Please how can I prepare a beautiful Statement of purpose (SOP) for a degree in Data Science/Computer science

Does anyone have a link that I might find helpful?

Thank you.

Your SOP should include the following:
- Why you want to study the MSc, your motivations.
- Education background.
- Research/Work Experience
- Extracurricular Activity (If any)
- What attracted you to the program.
- Why you think you fit into the program
- Specific area(s) you will like to advance.
- What the degree will do for you.

When you put all these together you should have a good SOP.

9 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by rogerdavid: 5:17pm On Jan 28, 2016
Thank you Pennstate.
So kind of you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by emmyluvly(m): 6:09pm On Jan 28, 2016
rogerdavid:
Thank you Pennstate.
So kind of you.

Pennstate is always a kind man. God bless him.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ismadex: 11:04pm On Jan 28, 2016
I GRADUATED FROM ONE OF THE STATE POLYTECHNIC IN NIGERIA IN THE YEAR 2008, I WANT TO FURTHER MY EDUCATION IN THE US.
1 WHAT ARE THE STEPS THAT I NEED TO TAKE IN SECURING ADMISSION INTO UNIVERSITY IN US
2. FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS HND, WHICH PROGRAM SHOULD I APPLY FOR?.
3. IS IT ALL SCHOOL THAT REQUIRE IELTS, GRE EXAM
I WILL BE GRATEFUL, IF ANY ONE CAN HELP.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by charlycharly: 12:54am On Jan 29, 2016
DanjaNinja:

Done

Pls invite me to the facebook group as well. Handsomecharlyonline@yahoo.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ajibade105(m): 8:25am On Jan 29, 2016
ismadex:
I GRADUATED FROM ONE OF THE STATE POLYTECHNIC IN NIGERIA IN THE YEAR 2008, I WANT TO FURTHER MY EDUCATION IN THE US.
1 WHAT ARE THE STEPS THAT I NEED TO TAKE IN SECURING ADMISSION INTO UNIVERSITY IN US
2. FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS HND, WHICH PROGRAM SHOULD I APPLY FOR?.
3. IS IT ALL SCHOOL THAT REQUIRE IELTS, GRE EXAM
I WILL BE GRATEFUL, IF ANY ONE CAN HELP.

Hello ismdex,

Most graduate schools in the US requirement is GRE. If you don't wanna write the exam, then, you have to look elsewhere like Canada etc. Also, make google your best friend and familiarize yourself with the school website and send email to the graduate secretary of any school of your choice. S/He will be the best to provide you an answer to most of your question(s) not people on this thread. The people here can only guide you.

I stand to be corrected.

**cheers**
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:00am On Jan 29, 2016
Ajibade105:

Hello ismdex,

Most graduate schools in the US requirement is GRE. If you don't wanna write the exam, then, you have to look elsewhere like Canada etc. Also, make google your best friend and familiarize yourself with the school website and send email to the graduate secretary of any school of your choice. S/He will be the best to provide you an answer to most of your question(s) not people on this thread. The people here can only guide you.

I stand to be corrected.

**cheers**
Is it possible to get into MIT with a 2 1 with insane GRE scores. I didn't have my bsc in Nigeria though and am looking at either MIT umich or university of california berkeley.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ajibade105(m): 10:24am On Jan 29, 2016
tensazangetsu:

Is it possible to get into MIT with a 2 1 with insane GRE scores. I didn't have my bsc in Nigeria though and am looking at either MIT umich or university of california berkeley.

I can only advise you if I know your last 60 credits results, I mean last 2years result (300level and 400level or otherwise) and if you share with me your GRE score. You can also use the WES online free evaluation to know this. To do this, click the link http://www.wes.org/students/igpacalc.asp

This is my email if you want a private chat; ajibade.kehinde@yaho.com

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:36am On Jan 29, 2016
Ajibade105:

I can only advise you if I know your last 60 credits results, I mean last 2years result (300level and 400level or otherwise) and if you share with me your GRE score. You can also use the WES online free evaluation to know this. To do this, click the link http://www.wes.org/students/igpacalc.asp

Am still and undergraduate and wanna start preparing for GRE will be graduating next year Godwilling. I would wanna go when am done.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ajibade105(m): 11:13am On Jan 29, 2016
tensazangetsu:

Am still and undergraduate and wanna start preparing for GRE will be graduating next year Godwilling. I would wanna go when am done.

Good to hear. I would advice you write GRE and apply to US schools during your last semester in University. Goodluck in your search.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fizzile(m): 12:32pm On Jan 29, 2016
Ajibade105:

Good to hear. I would advice you write GRE and apply to US schools during your last semester in University. Goodluck in your search.
I don't think the young man needs such advice. People should not be in a hurry to travel out. Let d young man finish school den take his time and plan himself. What of those sponsoring him? Don't u tink they will also need to plan themselves? Don't advice him wrongly. First tnz first. Let d guy finish his first degree. How about his transcript? Won't he send it to WES and to the department of the school? Let's advice him to tk d step gradually.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ajibade105(m): 12:59pm On Jan 29, 2016
fizzile:
I don't think the young man needs such advice. People should not be in a hurry to travel out. Let d young man finish school den take his time and plan himself. What of those sponsoring him? Don't u tink they will also need to plan themselves? Don't advice him wrongly. First tnz first. Let d guy finish his first degree. How about his transcript? Won't he send it to WES and to the department of the school? Let's advice him to tk d step gradually.

I wouldn't have said that if it didn't work for the people I know. In summary, I like to take risk. I think he also wanna try.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jan 29, 2016
layez:
Although, I am extremely disappointed with my performance, I am kinda elated sha (bakan bakan) cos am no longer a tyro!!!
Did the GRE today and I saw weeeeeeeeennnnn!!! Was confidently picking the wrong answers, why the time was moving at a speed faster than that of life!!! Anyways, I kuku do am!! VQVQV in that pattern first made my heart go Founder... Well, I pam 156 for QS and 144 for VS!!! Why my heart kept telling me I fk up and dat the result no dey promising sort off,I remain disinterested for now, make baba God take control!!

Thanks for the infos pple!!! U guys are the best.. Also, abeg what's ur view abt my scores ooooo LOL.....

Well it depends on the cut-off you have in mind before writing and your Uni GRE requirement

CC: Cephas, Sirridy, danja etc!!!! U guys are awesoMMMMEEEee!!!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CarterIV: 12:01am On Jan 30, 2016
I thought their application ended on the 8th cos I wanted the 2 of them however, I used my GTBank master card on that portal for NAU and it went through, you just select the credit card option and you put your card number with day cw2 at d back as password or something... Jes discovered 3 days ago....
Cc Cephas0009

@house how long does it take transcript to reach dia ooo cos am sweating... deadline super short...
Lamexx:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jan 30, 2016
@carterIV it depends on the courier..Nipost takes 3weeks or forever, DHL takes max of 3days and max of 5days
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fizzile(m): 12:53pm On Jan 30, 2016
femi321:
@carterIV it depends on the courier..Nipost takes 3weeks or forever, DHL takes max of 3days and max of 5days
How's the rate of DHL like? Cos I heard they charge between 8k to 12k to send documents to US
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by lobito007(m): 2:36pm On Jan 30, 2016
Ajibade105:

This is interesting. Thank you for sharing. I tried it and got a result. However, I have my concern. Are the last two sessions' results really enough to determine your grade over 4? I had a 5-year program in school. Would the grade over 4 have been the same if I had input the entire stretch of the 5-year grades?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by oluphy: 3:38pm On Jan 30, 2016
lobito007:

This is interesting. Thank you for sharing. I tried it and got a result. However, I have my concern. Are the last two sessions' results really enough to determine your grade over 4? I had a 5-year program in school. Would the grade over 4 have been the same if I had input the entire stretch of the 5-year grades?
Of cos not.. it depends on ur GPA for those 2 sessions.... if they are higher than ur graduating CGPA, the equivalent will be higher.... it all depends on ur CGPA
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by oluphy: 3:39pm On Jan 30, 2016
fizzile:
How's the rate of DHL like? Cos I heard they charge between 8k to 12k to send documents to US
Sent my transcript 2weeks ago @ #8,800. Took 3 days via DHL
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by oluphy: 3:42pm On Jan 30, 2016
How's the wait for "admission decision"?... guess that's wt is making this tread slow... Aswear the wait worse pass the GRE stage, tension wan kill person. We go hear good news soon...I believe

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ajibade105(m): 4:00pm On Jan 30, 2016
lobito007:

Some schools required last 60 credits which I guess is the last two sessions of study. You can also input all results from 100-500l.

Check the requirements of the school(s) you are apply to.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jan 30, 2016
oluphy:
How's the wait for "admission decision"?... guess that's wt is making this tread slow... Aswear the wait worse pass the GRE stage, tension wan kill person. We go hear good news soon...I believe
Azzinn..AMEN!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jan 30, 2016
fizzile:
8k- student package but they might ask for yout student ID card, I no get id again so I had to convince and convince yhem..you can send a student to send it for you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fizzile(m): 6:14pm On Jan 30, 2016
femi321:
8k- student package but they might ask for yout student ID card, I no get id again so I had to convince and convince yhem..you can send a student to send it for you
How about some like fedex,EMS,nipost?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jan 30, 2016
fizzile:
How about some like fedex,EMS,nipost?
Nipost is #350 but you might end up hearing stories that touch about your document, fedex too should be about 8k. I dont know anything about ems. if you dont have time, dhl is your best bet. safe and efficient but expensive

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by lobito007(m): 7:50pm On Jan 30, 2016
Guys, nipost does wonders these days. I dropped an application to be posted to Germany at their office on the 11th of jan. The lady attendant told me it would arrive there in 2 weeks. However, on the 21st, the school mailed me that they had received the package. How incredible! I was really impressed. This was at a cost of N680 only. To imagine that I had previously paid 11,000(general discounted price) and 8,500(student price) on different occasions for posts to the same country through DHL. I reflexively yelled "f*** dhl!". #TeamNipost

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.