Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,197 members, 7,780,339 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:45 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (89) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1336832 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by neahyo(m): 4:58pm On Jun 09, 2016
Oga ponpon, your suggestions are okay but you have to put into consideration the schedule of these guys, the truth is they are busy as well. I think you and I can work something out, if you want anyways. Since this thread is about 87 pages long, we can create a book using the experiences, ideas and advice from the different contributors and also create a FAQ section where we would compile list of questions and answers, if you take from pages 1-30 and I take 31-60, then we distribute the res; this way, I think we can contribute our quota. #MyOneShilling

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Christian129(m): 9:45am On Jun 10, 2016
Please how much would they deduct for GRE using PayPal
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:48am On Jun 10, 2016
Hi. It depends on the rate your bank charges you
for online transaction, which is unstable at the moment.
205 multiplied by that figure would give you the amount.
Christian129:
Please how much would they deduct for GRE using PayPal
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:44am On Jun 10, 2016

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Hisvoice(m): 11:51am On Jun 10, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am a silent reader of this forum. I have CGPA of 3.28/4 and 3.5/4.0 in my Bsc and Msc in Nigeria, aiming PhD in Microbiology. Please I will like to know about the following;

(i) Which bank has the best exchange rate at present to register for GRE? Though I have paypal linked Gtbank account.

(ii) What should be my target score for GRE? Only few schools states their required score

(iii) Is it true US schools don't usually accept Nigeria Msc?

I have some schools in mind but any recommendation is appreciated. #Team2017fall
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 12:37pm On Jun 10, 2016
Hisvoice:
Hi everyone,
I am a silent reader of this forum. I have CGPA of 3.28/4 and 3.5/4.0 in my Bsc and Msc in Nigeria, aiming PhD in Microbiology. Please I will like to know about the following;
(i) Which bank has the best exchange rate at present to register for GRE? Though I have paypal linked Gtbank account.
(ii) What should be my target score for GRE? Only few schools states their required score
(iii) Is it true US schools don't usually accept Nigeria Msc?
I have some schools in mind but any recommendation is appreciated. #Team2017fall

I can only answer questions 3. Naija MSc Is very valid, valid when you do tangible research and have at least a paper to show for it, because it's no longer UG were most projects don't get published, I know of friends brother, presently in Texas he got 320 in gre, he did his masters in u.i and got a 20k dollars fellowship, he has published 2 papers.... It's not only by GPA... Research is koko sef
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jun 10, 2016
sirRiddy:
ponpon you should go for it. You have a good GPA.
Spread your risks, apply early, all the best.
that was a nice insight into the application process.. I want to apply to mechanical engineering, I am yet to take gre or toefl I had a cgpa of undergrad in Metallurgical and Materials engineering. What advice do you have for me.. I am actually new to this post. I also intend to go through every page but I will like to hear from you thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cutemorgan(m): 1:53pm On Jun 10, 2016
I know this is long overdue, But I guess it's better late than never. I believe everyone here is familiar with the process already, but you never can tell who will find this piece useful.
I graduated from University in 2012 with a cgpa of 4.55/5.00. I was practically a novice to the USA school application process then, cos I was all about government scholarships and all (Pressid, Singa etc). For the Pressid scholarship, one can apply to any of the top 20-30 schools in the world. I preferred a US school, and that was the reason I did my GRE in December, 2014 at JKK (that was before I knew about this thread).

My GRE prep and exam
I prepared for my GRE using few materials; the ets official guide, powerprep, Kaplan gre guide (and some other practice materials I downloaded online). I registered for my GRE exam in September, 2014 so I had about 3 months to prepare. I studied for about 2hrs daily using the few guides I could lay my hands on.
On the exam day, my exam was in the form; QVQVQ (quantitative was my experimental section).I did fairly well in the quantitative section but I wasn't too convenient with my performance on the verbal. I eventually had: Q157, V147 and AW 3.5.
I got to know about this thread when I gave rewriting the GRE a thought. I also joined a GRE whatsapp group I ran into on nairaland. In the whatsapp group, we shared challenging questions, fastest approach to solving a question and other hints (I guess the facebook group should suffice).
NB I think for me to have obtained a 304 GRE score using those materials, anyone here can readily get more than 320 using the materials outlined here (you guys here are bosses, i doff my hat), and of course there’s SirRiddy and Danjaninja to always run to for hints if one hits a gridlock.

School search
Another important aspect of grad school application is the school search. Boss SirRiddy and Oga DanjaNinja have done justice to this over and over and I feel there's nothing new for me to say. The only thing I just feel I should add is that we should endeavour to go through as many school websites as possible. Going through the general website is not enough; we should also go through individual departmental websites, check for departmental entry requirements (this sometimes defers from the graduate school requirements, as it could be more stringent). We should also go through faculty researches and mail faculties who have researches that suit our interest (I know Oga Riddy talks about this a lot).
My research interest is organic synthesis. I went through departmental websites of schools, noting their entry requirements, GPA (mostly 3.0 as I considered going in directly for my phd), GRE (one has to check this carefully as some schools will recommend the subject test, optional for some and not required by others), Statement of Purpose (I had to send this out to be reviewed by some of my friends and I also sent it to some people on NL to help critique it).

Transcript
It takes my school about a week or two to process transcript, after which they will notify one for pick-up. They don't give transcript to students, they will only release the transcript to a courier agent you must have negotiated with for the delivery (we have about 3 courier agents around and it takes about 3-5 days for the courier to deliver the transcript to the school). This process varies from school to school, so I will advise we all acquaint ourselves with the transcript collection process in our schools and the estimated time of completion so that we can factor that into our planning.
SirRiddy and DanjaNinja already did justice to everything else.
I will be heading to Louisiana State University this fall by the grace of God. Although I know next to nothing about the whole application process (Oga Riddy and DanjaNinja are the bosses), I will be delighted to help whenever I can.
Thanks for everything Oga Riddy, I really appreciate boss mi

10 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jun 10, 2016
DanjaNinja please can you help invite a brother to the gre group my mail is evsonlive@yahoo.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jun 10, 2016
Cutemorgan nice breakdown! Please add me to the Facebook group... donsab4me@yahoo.com
Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 3:02pm On Jun 10, 2016
Cutemorgan thanks for the post, nice one..

Can you kindly post your profile for men, schools you applied to and the ones you got a reject. The ones you got funding and didn't get.

Does anyone have format for mails?

Men wants to start bombing
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mrjojo: 3:21pm On Jun 10, 2016
ponpon:
Cutemorgan thanks for the post, nice one..

Can you kindly post your profile for men, schools you applied to and the ones you got a reject. The ones you got funding and didn't get.

Does anyone have format for mails?

Men wants to start bombing
Please don't bomb, craft each email according to the research you've done concerning each professor, SirRiddy posted a quora link on format, digest the info there and you are good to go..
To all who want to be added to the FB group, will do that later today,
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 4:12pm On Jun 10, 2016
mrjojo that's not what i meant tho...lmao..bomberman, lmao.. maka why...i cant bomb away my chances naaah...i used it in the sense of mailing, following up etc.. i cant come and go and be using copy and paste format naaaah.. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mrjojo: 4:16pm On Jun 10, 2016
ponpon:
mrjojo that's not what i meant tho...lmao..bomberman, lmao.. maka why...i cant bomb away my chances naaah...i used it in the sense of mailing, following up etc.. i cant come and go and be using copy and paste format naaaah.. grin grin grin grin grin
lol, I understand now, grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jun 10, 2016
Thanks cutemorgan for your lovely post.
Many have gained from here but failed to give back. Na them sabi lipsrsealed
Enjoy your stay in Baton Rouge smiley wink.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temi4fash(m): 5:59pm On Jun 10, 2016
sirRiddy:
Thanks cutemorgan for your lovely post.
Many have gained from here but failed to give back. Na them sabi lipsrsealed
Enjoy your stay in Baton Rouge smiley wink.

Thansk for that mail.. you are highly appreciated.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 6:28pm On Jun 10, 2016
no be small matter my country people, chai, see as i dey sweat dey rewrite undergraduate project to journal standard.. can't wait to get published papers make person profile get boost, make person enter obamaland
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mrjojo: 6:59pm On Jun 10, 2016
evsonlive:
DanjaNinja please can you help invite a brother to the gre group my mail is evsonlive@yahoo.com
done
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mrjojo: 6:59pm On Jun 10, 2016
donxab:
Cutemorgan nice breakdown! Please add me to the Facebook group... donsab4me@yahoo.com
Thanks
done!!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mrjojo: 7:01pm On Jun 10, 2016
Johnsilva:
Hello DanjaNinja, thank you for your good works on this forum, pls add me to the gre facebook group. My email is silvaworld@yahoo.com

Thank you.
done!1
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mrjojo: 7:03pm On Jun 10, 2016
Graciouscharis:
Pls add me to the Facebook group. ogochukwurenna@yahoo.com. Thank you.
done!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mrjojo: 7:03pm On Jun 10, 2016
Damilolayo:
Pls add me to the Facebook group estherakande@yahoo.co.uk
added!goodluck
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 7:26pm On Jun 10, 2016
who else does this happen to, after the GRE, you still have the urge to continue learning those words, solving those quants and keep reading aldaily.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 8:25pm On Jun 10, 2016
Donxab please send a message to Patrick.jimoh60@yahoo.com I don't understand the procedure for replying nairaland pm. Your email is not showing
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jun 10, 2016
Hi.
Thanks for your kind words. However, I do not have any specific advice to give except good wishes in your application.
I am willing to respond to specific questions if you have any though.
Most answers are already on this thread if you could create some time to go through it.
Good luck and have fun!
evsonlive:
that was a nice insight into the application process.. I want to apply to mechanical engineering, I am yet to take gre or toefl I had a cgpa of 3.54/5 undergrad in Metallurgical and Materials engineering. What advice do you have for me.. I am actually new to this post. I also intend to go through every page but I will like to hear from you thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by charliejose: 8:40pm On Jun 10, 2016
Pls someone should add me to the fb group.. charliejose93@yahoo.com thanks!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jun 10, 2016
mrjojo:
done
have not seen the invite yet sir.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by abid4akin(m): 10:34pm On Jun 10, 2016
any advice for me pls...
I'll be writing gre July 8, I graduated wt a cgpa of 3.25/5, metallurgical & materials engineering.
what should be my aim, and I need few schools that will fit my profile.
thanks in anticipation
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:07am On Jun 11, 2016
abid4akin:
any advice for me pls...

I'll be writing gre July 8,
I graduated wt a cgpa of 3.25/5, metallurgical & materials engineering.

what should be my aim, and I need few schools that will fit my profile.

thanks in anticipation
nobody will give you schools, you need to do research according to your priorities (funding,ranking etc) start from 1) www.google.com 2) www.thegradcafe.com 3) www.msinus.com 4) www.gradschool.com 5) www.usnews.com. 6) www.edulix.com...then come back if you have any specific question

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:10am On Jun 11, 2016
ponpon:
Donxab please send a message to Patrick.jimoh60@yahoo.com I don't understand the procedure for replying nairaland pm. Your email is not showing
when someone sends you a pm, you will get a notification on nairaland whenever you open the page, then you will have to go to the email you register with nairaland and click reply, to reply the pm
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 12:17am On Jun 11, 2016
femi321:
when someone sends you a pm, you will get a notification on nairaland whenever you open the page, then you will have to go to the email you register with nairaland and click reply, to reply the pm

Thanks, but I always try replying it doesn't go through, I get a failed notification via mailer demon or so...

For the admitted ones an the hunters, I found this good piece, it'll take about 7 minutes to read through it http://www.google.com.ng/url?q=https://me.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/advice_paper_web.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwj3zoXexZ7NAhXMJsAKHU4MCC8QFggLMAA&sig2=EAE_Dp7OGUnGanNOafRFPg&usg=AFQjCNE0UU9Skx2aiC4k1J_OCp4KC7xlvg
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:38am On Jun 11, 2016
ponpon:

Thanks, but I always try replying it doesn't go through, I get a failed notification via mailer demon or so...

For the admitted ones an the hunters, I found this good piece, it'll take about 7 minutes to read through it http://www.google.com.ng/url?q=https://me.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/advice_paper_web.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwj3zoXexZ7NAhXMJsAKHU4MCC8QFggLMAA&sig2=EAE_Dp7OGUnGanNOafRFPg&usg=AFQjCNE0UU9Skx2aiC4k1J_OCp4KC7xlvg
Hello bro, don't seem to know how the fb page works. You did help by adding me to the group buh couldn't see any notification either on fb or email. Could you please help a soul again by re-adding. My e-mail once again is ojcity_22@yahoo.com. Thanks a lot.

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.