Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,367 members, 7,800,739 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:51 AM

Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People (63094 Views)

Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / I Would Like To Know Some About Igbo Traditions / Marriage between Yoruba And Igbo people On The Rise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by manchy7531: 8:27pm On Jul 28, 2014
I intend to reopen this thread for Igbo readers and open minded non Igbo who may want to know more about ndi igbo. It is purely for educational purpose.....God bless Ndi igbo. From ''Anioma to Anambra to Enugu to Imo to Abia to Ebonyi igbo to Rivers igbo to Benue Igbo to cross river and Akwa ibom igbo and Ndi igbo in diaspora''..... God bless our cousins also (Efik, Ibibio, Annang and, Idoma)

In this piece, I intend to focus on the Igbo as a people. The Igbo, their culture, civilization, and their contributions to world greatness, are, perhaps, among the most little understood, taught, publicized and recognized of all human knowledge. What is sometimes upsetting is the little the Igbo themselves, including their educated sons and daughters know about themselves. Or, more bafflingly, how the educated Igbo parrot, and hold fast, without taking a second look at the false information about the Igbo, which they heard or read from scantily informed or biased sources, foreigners and natives, and, of course, the ever busy Igbo detractors.

I decided to write this article after the now familiar surprise look I get from many an educated Igbo when I begin to discuss Igbo factoids and misrepresentations. What embarrasses most of them is that certain incontrovertible, and some would say, elementary facts about the Igbo, which were always self evident, now suddenly hits them like a thunderbolt and it becomes crystal clear to them that their previous beliefs which they parroted were false. Here are a few facts in question and answers:

Question: Is Southeast and Igboland the same thing?

Answer: Not at all. Southeast is only about 3/5th of Igboland. Igboland covers the whole of Southeast, parts of Rivers, Delta, Benue, and Akwa Ibom states.

Question: Why were we taught in school that Igbo people are easterners?

Answer: It is both an unfortunate parroting by teachers and careless adoption by Igbo educated class. Igbo people come from Southern Nigeria and not Eastern Nigeria. It may be correct to say that the Igbo are found predominantly in eastern Nigeria. However, by saying that the Igbo are easterners, the implication is that the Igbo in western Nigeria, numbering about 2.5 million (Agbor, Ogwashi Ukwu, Ibuzo, Okpanam, Asaba, Orimili, Ndokwa, Anioma, etc) are not Igbos. The best known Igbo anthropologist Professor Mike Onwuejeogwu is from the western part of Nigeria, Chukwuma Nzeogwu, Dennis Osadebe, Okonkwo Adibe (the famous musician), Sony Odogwu, etc. are all from the western part of Nigeria. They are no less Igbo than those who live in the eastern part of Nigeria. The correct answer to your question is "the Igbo come from Southern Nigeria."

Question: Why do some Igbo refer to themselves as "core Igbo?"

Answer: That is clearly arrant nonsense. Nobody is core and others peripheral. All Igbo are the same. It is both arrogant, thoughtless and insensitive for anybody to regard others as marginal.

Question: Is Igboland landlocked?

Answer: Not at all. Igboland stretches from Igwe Ocha (Port Harcourt) to Agbor. The Atlantic ocean washes the shores of Igboland. Africa's second largest river - River Niger, traverses Igboland with one part of Igboland in the east and another part in the west of Nigeria. Uguta Lake has the potential of accommodating large ships and could be made a navigable port. If Igboland is landlocked, then all Nigeria is landlocked.

Question: Is there oil in Igboland?

Answer: Yes, indeed. There is a lot of oil in Imo State, Abia, Ebonyi, Rivers State and Delta States Igbo areas, and now in Anambra. Besides, Igboland has many other natural resources, including coal, limestone, etc.

Question: Are the Igbo a nation or a tribe?

Answer: The Igbo are a nation, and a very large one. There are many tribes in Igbo nation, just like you have many tribes within Israel.

Question: Why do some Ikwerre people say they are not Igbo?

Answer: First, it is not up to them to say what they are and what they are not. When God created them, He did not ask them who they wanted to be. He just created them Igbo. The only way you'll know who belongs to what ethnic group in Nigeria is the name and what language the name comes from. Anybody whose name is Amadi or Onyeri, or Eke, or Odili, Wanodi (Nwanodi),Adaeza,chibuike,uchenna does not need to tell you who he is. He is Igbo, his politics notwithstanding.

Question: But they claim that their language is Ikwerre, not Igbo.

Answer: That is politics. Ikwerre is a dialect of Igbo language. Just like an Ngwa man speaks Ngwa Igbo, Arochukwu speaks Arochukwu Igbo, etc.

Question: Some people say that Igbo language is not complete, is it true?

Answer: No language is complete. All languages borrow from each other. Igbo language is very rich. It has inexhaustible and rich linguistic features like idioms, proverbs, aphorisms, sayings, anecdotes, riddles, folklores, etc. Igbo language is one of the major languages of the world, being spoken by millions of people.

Question: How many are the Igbo?

Answer: The Igbo are very numerous. There is educated guess that if Nigeria's census is properly enumerated, the Igbo could easily be the largest ethnic group in the country. They may number up between 50-60 million. Everything right now, is speculation. Nobody knows the true stratification or ethnic populations in Nigeria. The Igbo are the only ethnic group found in large numbers everywhere in Nigeria, and foreign countries more than any other ethnic group in Africa.

Question: Do the Igbo have a culture of their own?

Answer: Yes, indeed. Igbo culture is perhaps, one of the richest and all-encompassing cultures in this world. Igbo culture always observes the temporal and the spiritual aspects of cosmology. The study of Igbo culture reveals that it is extremely deep and original.

Question: Why do the Igbo wear Yoruba Agbada and Hausa babban riga but the Yoruba and the Hausa do not ever wear Igbo national dress?

Answer: Unfortunately this is the case. The Igbo have very attractive and resplendent national dresses. And they come in assortments that are extremely dignifying. The Igbo take up foreign cultures more readily than other Nigerians, and they seem not to care that nobody reciprocates their carefree attitude to life. Most ethnics promote their cultures and show off what makes them unique. Actually, it is still the same so-called educated Igbo class who behave in such disgraceful and the devil-may-care attitude.

Question: Why do the Igbo call themselves Biafrans?

Answer: Great question. Some people have the idea that Biafra originates from the Bight of Biafra. But that is wrong. There was the Kingdom of Biafra that ruled most of the ancient world about 50,000 years ago. Unfortunately, nobody talks about it, for whatever reason, I do not know. But, it is in the ancient maps of the world.

Question: Were the Igbo also taken into slavery during the slave trade?

Answer: Yes. The Igbo slaves themselves gave account of their travails in slavery. Olauda Ekwuano an Igbo ex-slave who bought his freedom in Britain was the first slave to write about his experience in slavery. His book has become a classic. You ought to find it and read it. Also, other Igbos who were brought to America revolted and some walked back on water and were said to have returned to Africa. Several books have been written about them. One of such books is "Ibo Landing." It is available in bookstores like Barnes & Noble. In Haiti, the Igbo settled there and refused to be colonized by anybody. There are many places where the Igbo left their mark or their signature.

Question: How did the Igbo know days and years?

Answer: The Igbo invented an accurate, if not the most accurate calendar called "Iguafo Igbo (Igbo Calendar)." In Igbo calendar, there are four market days - Eke, Afor, Nkwo, Orie that make one week. Four days make one week, seven weeks make one month, and thirteen months make one year. There are 28 days for each month, with the last month having 29 days. Each month starts the same day as the previous. Igbo calendar forms the perfect astronomical alignment with the cosmos, and regulates the seasons, agriculture, navigation, astrology, geography, mathematics, travel, etc.

Question: Did the Igbo have their own alphabets?

Answer: Yes, indeed. It is called "Nsibidi."

Question: How about mathematics; did the Igbo know mathematics?

Answer: Yes, indeed. There are such inventions as "Okwe" and "Mkpisi" which the Igbo used to resolve figures.

Question: Did the Igbo know anything about banking?

Answer: Yes. Igbo banking was more in the nature of Savings and Loans. The authentic Igbo savings and loans invention called "Isusu' in which contributions are pooled each week and one person, who has the need, collects, is still in practice. Igbo slaves took this invention to the Caribbean Islands where they still practise it and call it "Sue Sue."

Question: Some people say that Igboland is too small for the Igbo, that they have no alternative than to live as Nigerians: is this true?

Answer: False. Igboland is a large country. Do every Igbo need to stay and work in Igboland? No. Everywhere in the world, some will stay home while others venture abroad in search of opportunities. Igboland is large enough for the Igbo. And it is a very rich and hospitable part of the world. It has rich soil for agriculture, abundant rainfall, good sunshine, and table land in many parts. Its land space and population are more than that of over half of the present countries in the world.

Question: Where did the Igbo come from?

Answer: That question is still being asked. There are very intriguing theories or histories now being studied. You may have heard of the Jewish angle, the Egypt angle, and the Origin of man angle. This twenty-first century, hopefully, will resolve the mystery.

Question: Why do people say that the Igbo are not united?

Answer: Those who say so, do so out of ignorance. The Igbo are famous for their unity. In the colonial period and the First Republic of Nigeria, the Igbo were always envied for their unity. Under Igbo Union, they accomplished many things. They were feared by others for this. Since after the war, the Igbo are gradually recovering and getting rid of the individualism they developed brought about by their war experience which enabled them to survive as a disinherited people. Now, there are vigorous efforts to reunite them and return them to their old glory which served them well in the past.

Question: Some people say that the Igbo are susceptible to being bought by some other Nigerians, and that they "sell" the Igbo in the bargain; is this true?

Answer: The same parroting and recycling of unfounded talk. When you hear such a talk, challenge the one who is mouthing it to give you evidence, or to cite an example of such an Igbo person. He is likely to say "what of Jim Nwobodo?" Tell him that the Igbo number about 40 million, if it would be fair for the action of one person to represent the integrity of the other 3.99.9 million. The truth is that an Igbo is like any other human being, when he sees where he can take advantage of a situation, he goes for it. It has nothing to do with "selling." Were we not told that fish clusters where the river was deepest or that the dog follows he who has crumbs? Not long ago in the history of Nigeria, other Nigerians were also running after the Igbo for crumbs because the Igbo were in position to call the shots. Things will not remain as they are today. In fact, things are changing fast.

Question: Why are other Nigerians always persecuting the Igbo?

Answer: I have always tried to know myself. I am one of those who believe that the Igbo are among the most peaceful people on earth. But, because of the fact that they are very hardworking, ambitious, and not afraid to live anywhere, or take up any task, they tend to be resented by their less ambitious and successful neighbors or hosts. When you confront a non-Igbo to say what specific offense the Igbo have committed against them, oftentimes they draw blank, or engage in fabrications, which they insist must stand for a fact. The Igbo believe in live-and-let-live. It is virtually impossible for any Igbo to rise against their guests or hosts. It has never happened in Nigeria, or elsewhere. It is an abomination in Igboland for a host to cause his guest harm. Instead, a guest is considered metaphysically and physically under the protection of the host. All Igbo deities forbid doing harm to a guest. The Igbo are accused of "loving money." I suppose the charge is based on the fact that they work hard and acquire money in the bargain. One would like to believe that the outcome of hardwork is good harvest and hopefully prosperity. If anybody takes offense at the prosperity of a hardworking person, then the Igbo or for that matter any other person or persons, have no apologies to render.

Question: Do the Igbo have their own system of jurisprudence before the arrival of the white man?

Answer: Yes. The Igbo had a system of resolving conflicts. The elders were presented with cases that could not be satisfactorily settled within the family or kindred. Matters where veracity must be ascertained, the Igbo resort to spirituality. Oath-taking is a matter left to the spirits to settle. Those who swear falsely were expected to be killed by the spirits within a given period. After the period, he is acquitted and he could celebrate with public merry-making. The Igbo did not have any prisons, but they could ostracise a culprit, exile him, or send him into slavery or to serve to a deity.

Question: Why don't the Igbo teach these things you are telling me to their children?

Answer: In the pursuit of what they taught was the "new way" either from Europeans or o Christianity, the Igbo began to distance themselves from their heritage, and in the process became lost in the wilderness of a world they hardly understand. They have learned their lesson the hard way. The twenty-first century will lead them back home.

http://www./Igbo%20101.htm

93 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by mstik(f): 8:29pm On Jul 28, 2014
Igbo people are just so awesome grin

116 Likes 1 Share

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by manchy7531: 8:32pm On Jul 28, 2014
mstik: Igbo people are just so awesome grin

Thanks sis....are you igbo if i may ask?

6 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by mstik(f): 8:32pm On Jul 28, 2014
Igbo and proud cool
manchy7531:

Thanks sis....are you igbo if i may ask?

54 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by manchy7531: 8:36pm On Jul 28, 2014
mstik: Igbo and proud cool

God go make you bigger..

39 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by Noneroone(m): 9:21pm On Jul 28, 2014
Igbo = I Go Before Others
we lead others follow.
Nice one op.

61 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by IGBOSON1: 9:30pm On Jul 28, 2014
More i'm proud of:

40 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jul 28, 2014
Proudly Igbo from Okija.

The way we are dominating America NFL is scaring.
There was a day i was watching a New York Giants match against one team like that, maka Chukwu i saw 5 Igbonames on the field playing and 2 on reserve of both teams. I just love those guys they all bear our native names which make it easier to identify them like....

Igbo NFLers
Nnamdi Asomugha.
Osi Umeyiorah
Chimdi Chikwe.
Amobi Nzelu
Prince Amukamara.
Chinedu Okorie.
Tony Ugoh
Brian Orakpo
Chukky Okobi,
Amobi Okoye
Eric Ogbogu
Ike Ndukwe
Chidi Iwuoma
Buchie Ibeh
Frank Iheanacho
et al...they are more than 25

The way Igbos dominate sports in Africa will show you that we can be a worldpower if allowed to be an sovreign state.

Igbos thrive most in a competitive atmosphere that is why they are capitalists naturally.

81 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by Descartes: 10:10pm On Jul 28, 2014
Ndigbo tutoring and mentoring Nigerians since 32 BC wink

56 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by manchy7531: 10:22pm On Jul 28, 2014
Ugochukwu Ehiogu officially unveiled as new Tottenham U21 coach

Former Aston Villa and Middlesborough central defender Ugo Ehiogu has been officially named as the new Tottenham U21 coach.

“We are delighted to announce the appointment of Ugo Ehiogu as coach of our Under-21 side,” a press statement by the White Hart Lane club revealed.

The coach who was well respected during his playing days will be responsible for marshalling some of Tottenham's best talents towards the first team from this season onwards.

Ehiogu has been working at the Spurs academy on a part-time basis and will be assisted by Matthew Wells who steps up from coaching the Under 15s.

The ex-England international is a candidate who has been quietly subsuming himself into the environment which he has now received a key post in for a decent length of time now, and will thus be able to hit the ground running with his colleagues and new charges.

The 41-year-old was a member of the England U20s staff as a coach observer under Peter Taylor at last summer’s FIFA U20 World Cup in Turkey as part of his studies for the UEFA A Licence.

Speaking at the time, Ehiogu said: "I’ve done a couple of coaching prep courses and I’m on my A Licence.”

"So I’m fortunate that I’ve been able to get some experience and regular work with Spurs, but there’s a massive amount of knowledge to pick up and use."

The tough tackling Ehiogu won four England caps during a career which took in spells with West Bromwich Albion, Aston Villa, Middlesbrough, Rangers and Sheffield United.

like Michael Emenalo, we keep conquering the world....

50 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by NgeneUkwenu(f): 10:38pm On Jul 28, 2014
Seun, Mynd44 and, Ngwakwe, can this thread be moved to culture section? Let's sanitize this place. Thank you!

6 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jul 28, 2014
NgeneUkwenu: Seun, Mynd44 and, Ngwakwe, can this thread be moved to culture section? Let's sanitize this place. Thank you!
nwa amala go and die!

55 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jul 28, 2014
Representing Owerri here cheesy

50 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jul 28, 2014
Op. What is it with Igbo and crime

40 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by oilykid(m): 11:48pm On Jul 28, 2014
eliment: Op. What is it with Igbo and crime
tell me the crimes the igbos have committed that other tribes in Nigeria have not committed in a thousand folds more the Igbo

102 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by Bigflamie(m): 11:50pm On Jul 28, 2014
Arrogantly Igbo grin

54 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by Nobody: 12:05am On Jul 29, 2014
banega: Representing Owerri here cheesy

@OP & his fellow Biafrans - Pls, I want my questions below answered truthfully & constructively

1.) If the Igboland is truly not landlocked, Y are they trying so hard to claim Lagos as a no mans land or even their father's heritage? Y do they not go & also lay claims to Abuja, Kano & PortHarcout?

2.) Y are the Igbos always bitter towards Awolowo & the Yorubas generally inspite of the hospitality & opportunities they enjoy in the South West?

3.) Y do the Igbos find it difficult to curtail their domineering nature & waywardness described by Sir Armadu Bello & written about in "The Bitter Truth About The Igbos by Femi Fani Kayode" rather than always launching verbal assaults & being belligerent towards their fellow Nigerians from other ethnicity?

Igbo Mods & Super Mods may ban me but b4 then answer my questions 1st!

84 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by ChrisOD: 12:09am On Jul 29, 2014
Zoharariel:

@OP & his fellow Biafrans - Pls, I want my questions below answered truthfully & constructively

1.) If the Igboland is truly not landlocked, Y are they trying so hard to claim Lagos as a no mans land or even their father's heritage? Y do they not go & also lay claims to Abuja, Kano & PortHarcout?

2.) Y are the Igbos always bitter towards Awolowo & the Yorubas generally inspite of the hospitality & opportunities they enjoy in the South West?

3.) Y do the Igbos find it difficult to curtail their domineering nature & waywardness described by Sir Armadu Bello & written about in "The Bitter Truth About The Igbos by Femi Fani Kayode" rather than always launching verbal assaults & being belligerent towards their fellow Nigerians from other ethnicity?

Igbo Mods & Super Mods may ban me but b4 then answer my questions 1st!

Igbos are made to dominate you just like Israel dominates the Arabs. Live with it or die trying to.

149 Likes 1 Share

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by ofala(m): 1:04am On Jul 29, 2014
Jisie nu Ike ooooo

22 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by omenka(m): 3:48am On Jul 29, 2014
Descartes: Igbo tutoring and mentoring Nigerians since 32 BC wink
Descartes: Copying Omenka since 2000AD

10 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by Descartes: 5:03am On Jul 29, 2014
omenka: Descartes: Copying Omenka since 2000AD
omenka stalking Descartes since 500BC wink

28 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by jayseehe(m): 6:07am On Jul 29, 2014
I'm an Igbo guy, most importantly, I'm a Nigerian

I don't support tribalism

48 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by Nobody: 6:07am On Jul 29, 2014
God bless our Igbo brothers and sisters...the light of Nigeria! Brother from Ibibio...we fought, bled and continue to stand with you people!

OP you must keep this beautiful thread free from a particular ethnic group who will be here soon to taint it. Block any tribal related posts...one just slid in already...we need to keep this clean and positive. Block them nuisance out!

Me and my beautiful tall model-like Igbo wife are following this thread closely. Thank you!

89 Likes 1 Share

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by Nobody: 6:09am On Jul 29, 2014
#Following
Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by blogexpert12(m): 6:09am On Jul 29, 2014
ok
Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by Nobody: 6:11am On Jul 29, 2014
Igbo's are awesome....I kick it well with igbos, than i do with my own people sef.

45 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by ceeplus(m): 6:13am On Jul 29, 2014
make i comment first before i read am
Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by BlackPikiN(m): 6:13am On Jul 29, 2014
The first Nigerian in the NFL
Christian Okoye.

Watch this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OO-w04DUv4

6 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by nickz(m): 6:14am On Jul 29, 2014
ORLU till death.......*IBM

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by tintingz(m): 6:20am On Jul 29, 2014
Shout out to all my Igbo friends. smiley

27 Likes

Re: Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People by Lacombre: 6:21am On Jul 29, 2014
Cha cha cha cha! Ndigbo kwenu!
Proudly igbo!

39 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Ooni Announces Discovery Of “mysterious Waterfall” In Ife / How Oba Of Lagos Greeted His Former Visitors (Photos) / Ooni Of Ife welcomes 6th Wife to Palace (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.