Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,959 members, 7,806,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:39 PM

New Lagos Map On Google Earth - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / New Lagos Map On Google Earth (12750 Views)

Negative Observations On The New Lagos Blue BRT Buses... / Bizarre images from From Google Earth / Digital Map Of Nigeria / Cities And Town (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Lagos Map On Google Earth by nairamar(m): 3:19pm On Jul 20, 2006
Hi Guys,

Goole Earth has updated the lagos area map with a new satellite image/photograph, you can see the third mainland bridge snaking through lagos and the new image clearly shows an area north of the airport.

Guys, this is so exciting, if you have broadband access why don't we have a crack at creating nametags for known streets/areas in Lagos.

I was able to make out Allen Avenue in Ikeja, Ikorodu Road and even Oshodi!

Guys, if you are lagos based and have a gps device let me have you co-ordinates to plot on the map.

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Map On Google Earth by Wetinbe: 9:31pm On Jul 25, 2006
There is a highly detailed streetmap for Lagos at
http://www.traxmap.com/maps
that is georeferenced and most lagos streets are there
Re: New Lagos Map On Google Earth by rjhatl(m): 6:36am On Aug 09, 2006
That's awesome!

If you want to see even better detail, go to Otta,
Re: New Lagos Map On Google Earth by rjhatl(m): 2:00pm On Aug 09, 2006
In fact, there are several cities in Nigeria with high resolution images now. Brass, Onitsha, Asaba, Enugu, and a whole stretch of land from Port Harcourt to Aba all have much higher resolution images than Lagos. Nothing for Abuja that I can see. Major cities in other countries also have updated images- Accra, Lome, etc.
Re: New Lagos Map On Google Earth by alabiyemmy(m): 10:24pm On Aug 25, 2006
more maps on www.ceaser-web.com

For address search, post code search, points of interest search, find my nearest search, find a map etc.

Yemmy.
Re: New Lagos Map On Google Earth by Iretia(m): 11:56am On Jul 02, 2007
Below is the map showing Starcomms masts around Lagos. Do you know that most wireless operators guard jealously details of the location their masts, i wonder why? Are they afraid that someone could enter the coordinates of these masts into some scud missiles and bomb them into oblivon? Well, you can get these coordinates whether the operators like it or not, all that is required is to harm yourself with a good GPS reciver and determination. STL had used this approach to successfully map the location of over 3,800 masts across Nigeria showing the location of masts owned by MTN, Celtel, Starcomms, Intercellular and Multilinks. This data could be useful to independent site providers who encourage operators to co-locate sites and reduce the cost of building new masts from the begining.

For more information, please contact:

Ireti Ajala
Spatial Technologies Ltd
+234185338338
+442085338338
info@spatialtechnologiesltd.com
www.spatialtechnologiesltd.com

Re: New Lagos Map On Google Earth by simplyme3(f): 10:40am On Jul 27, 2007
Re: New Lagos Map On Google Earth by dblock(m): 12:06pm On Jul 27, 2007
I thought this thread was about Google Earth

You guys must get a lot of money for advertising.

Hey Nairamar thanks for the update.

What is the location in Degrees by the way?
Re: New Lagos Map On Google Earth by simplyme3(f): 12:09pm On Jul 27, 2007
location of what in degrees?
Re: New Lagos Map On Google Earth by dblock(m): 12:16pm On Jul 27, 2007
The Location of the Third Mainland Bridge.
Re: New Lagos Map On Google Earth by simplyme3(f): 12:35pm On Jul 27, 2007
the beginning or the middle or the end? a location is a point, third mainland bridge is not a point, it is a long set of points - so be specific.
Re: New Lagos Map On Google Earth by dblock(m): 1:22pm On Jul 27, 2007
Any Point, does it really matter
Re: New Lagos Map On Google Earth by dafman(m): 3:46pm On Jul 27, 2007
new streets appear almost everyday in Lagos, they are going to have a herculean task maintaining those maps
Re: New Lagos Map On Google Earth by simplyme3(f): 4:39pm On Jul 27, 2007
@Dafman

u are realy a daft man.
Re: New Lagos Map On Google Earth by Iretia(m): 1:02pm On Feb 19, 2008
I have seen the new Lagos satellite imagery on Google Earth and i must confess it is very impressive. However i could not help but note the absence of Lagos local content in it. What i mean is that as beautiful and impressive as the satellite imageries appear, Google Earth lacks the basic search and find capability for the Nigeria market. This means that there is no Nigerian intelligence in it either implicitly or explicitly. The images are sharp but not as sharp as London’s. The resolution is fantastic at 2.5m or there about. You however cannot search for Apapa, Isolo, Ketu or AJ city. Have you tried searching for Apapa-Oworonshoki Exp Rd on it? Dont bother its not there. Most importantly you can't search for the location of any business on it, e.g can you search for Mr Biggs Fadeyi on it? So what you have on Google Earth about Lagos or indeed any other place in Nigeria is a glorified picture albeit a useful picture –at least I could make out my street because I know what to look for. The reason why you can't find any of these on it is because it does not have any intelligent vector data about Nigeria.

Google has realised the lack of local content in places outside North America and Europe, perhaps this explains why they are investing on “Crowd Sourcing” in India, where individuals upload tracks from their GPS unto a secured Google server. This way, they are using the locals to map their own country. 

Now that Microsoft had finally bought over Multimap and Tom Tom had acquired TeleAtlast, perhaps they will start looking at the rest of the world. Multimap had showed its interest in the African market by buying over Georigin of South Africa. All these acquisitions will shift attention to providing local content for the rest of the world.

In the interim, Nigerian GIS solutions and Location based providers like Spatial Technologies Ltd, MapNTL.com, etc provide local content by building huge geospatial database of Nigeria with a lot of Nigerian flavour. MapNTL.com is a web-based interactive map portal developed by Nigerians living in UK for Nigerians. It is more intelligent than Google Earth at least in its coverage of the Nigerian landscape. Oh yes it still does not have fancy satellite pictures like Google Earth, but it has the capability to search and find within Lagos any street, bank, hotel, restaurant, etc. It provides online navigational route to anywhere in Lagos and even to other parts of Nigeria. See below the map of a route generated from Mushin to Ikotun Egbe, try generating the same driving direction on Google Earth grin

Re: New Lagos Map On Google Earth by funkybaby(f): 3:58pm On Feb 19, 2008
pls which website can i get detailed street map of lagos that i can download on my phone and use during navigation? thanks

(1) (Reply)

Places You Dread Going To Or Spending Time In / RRS Attends To An Accident Victim At Ijora / FRSC Officer Slaps Innocent Driver As His Colleagues Endangered Commuters Lives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.