Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,170 members, 7,807,545 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously (5034 Views)

The Need For The First Nigeria Owned Billion Dollar Company In Nigeria / Nairaland Has Changed My Name From Pc Guru To Pcguru1 / Multi-Player Whot & Ludo Game For Phones: Please Help Us Test This App (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by Djtm(m): 7:43pm On Jul 31, 2014
ClintonNzedimma: Its what you guys think.
What you guys are saying is exactly what killed yahoo.It became a website of no specific description.
Let Seun see this thread, he would probably give you the same answer.
Nairaland is okay and fine to me, what i just want nairaland to have is just 3 million registered and active users by 2015
You're kidding right? Yahoo is a website with no description? Then what is google? Google has it's nose (arms and legs sometimes) in almost all parts of the tech business.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by curiouslad(m): 7:51pm On Jul 31, 2014
toshodei:
Look at Reddit, Premise 1=>Reddit is a forum that has a billion startup valuation with all the users. Premise 2=>NL is like Nigeria's Reddit. Conclusion=>Another billion dollar startup company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deductive_fallacy
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 7:56pm On Jul 31, 2014
SpaceGoat: do you think it good business you sound like you know thing about bussines management and profit return , i like people who kmow thing about bussiness manage and profit return !! do you read it in skul? is youre pm working?? re you still student? if

Personally, I think it's good business. I mean think about. This is a forum that gets million hits per day. Like what else do you need. It just needs to be upgraded.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 7:59pm On Jul 31, 2014
GodMode:

Warrior forum and bhw were built using vBulletin forum software meaning they were not built from scratch and they have a user base NL can only dream of and they rank higher than NL.

NL does not even have half of what this vBulletin forum software has. I can create a Forum that will bury NL anytime anyday with just the software but I'm still learning about the internet.

Any serious programmer can create something that'll surpass NL especially with a strong financial backing within 3 months to 1 year.

GodMode I believe you can, but the question is how long will it take you to get the million hits per day that Nairaland receives? Like anyone can build a forum but getting people on it, is something else.

Also, what you fail to realize is that Nairaland is like a big fish in a pond of small fish while Warrior Forum is more less like a big fish in a pond of other big fish. Like be realistic, who do you think has a better chance of survival? Nairaland just needs to hurry up before it has competitors.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 8:01pm On Jul 31, 2014
What you guys are saying is exactly what killed yahoo.It became a website of no specific description.
Nairaland is okay and fine to me, what i just want nairaland to have is just 3 million registered and active users by 2015

What do you think Mr. ClintonNzedimma? Do you think Nairaland has a shot at being a billion dollar startup? I think that by now Nairaland should have about 50 million users all or majority from Nigeria and the rest from the Diaspora in UK or USA. Nairaland just needs to step up their game. Add features here and there, and market better. As well as work on their user interface.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 8:03pm On Jul 31, 2014
Djtm:
You're kidding right? Yahoo is a website with no description? Then what is google? Google has it's nose (arms and legs sometimes) in almost all parts of the tech business.

I really dont understand that "yahoo is a website with no description". Can you please explain further? What if Nairaland had its own email service with an additional file upload service. Could it be Dropbox, Gmail & Yahoo in the Nigerian Market? I think so. It can even reign in the African market. U have some Ghanians who come to Nairaland.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 8:05pm On Jul 31, 2014
curiouslad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deductive_fallacy

So if I may ask, what is the difference between Reddit and Nairaland? To me it seems only the customers and the user interface? Or what do you think?
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 8:08pm On Jul 31, 2014
Personally I agree with the op. Think about it, when Nairaland went down, did u not notice how it affected the whole community? Some people lives were changed dramatically. Personally, I checked every hour, to see if the site was still down. Like Nairaland has become addictive and part of our daily lives and the funniest thing is that at a max I see about 7,000 people online (20% members + 80% guests). Like imagine what would happen if Nairaland really put their time into it.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by curiouslad(m): 8:15pm On Jul 31, 2014
davidsmith8900:

Personally, I think it's good business. I mean think about. This is a forum that gets million hits per day. Like what else do you need. It just needs to be upgraded.

Upgraded to what?
davidsmith8900:
So if I may ask, what is the difference between Reddit and Nairaland? To me it seems only the customers and the user interface? Or what do you think?

The difference between nairaland and reddit is substantial.
User's Vote which topics get to frontpage , which comment goes to the top, user's can create their subreddit...

I could go on.

The op's conclusion that nairaland is a billion dollar empire in the post you quoted me is fallacious
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by SpaceGoat: 8:16pm On Jul 31, 2014
davidsmith8900:

okay. i will try bid 4 million dollars again next time when i dream the dream in my dream again . tank for advice
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by Djtm(m): 8:21pm On Jul 31, 2014
davidsmith8900:

I really dont understand that "yahoo is a website with no description". Can you please explain further? What if Nairaland had its own email service with an additional file upload service. Could it be Dropbox, Gmail & Yahoo in the Nigerian Market? I think so. It can even reign in the African market. U have some Ghanians who come to Nairaland.
I did not post that. I was responding to a post by the user above me.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by ClintonNzedimma(m): 8:23pm On Jul 31, 2014
Djtm:
i mean yahoo.com

Google is not a website google.com is
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 8:24pm On Jul 31, 2014
fattbabakay: so?

What are your opinions @fattbabakay? Do you think NairaLand should be valued at a million dollar startup or billion dollar startup?
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by GodMode: 8:24pm On Jul 31, 2014
davidsmith8900:

GodMode I believe you can, but the question is how long will it take you to get the million hits per day that Nairaland receives? Like anyone can build a forum but getting people on it, is something else.

Also, what you fail to realize is that Nairaland is like a big fish in a pond of small fish while Warrior Forum is more less like a big fish in a pond of other big fish. Like be realistic, who do you think has a better chance of survival? Nairaland just needs to hurry up before it has competitors.

The current trend now is sharing. NL is a forum. So you have to create a topic before posting.

But people want to "show off" their "lifestyle".. If a Nigerian creates such platform(especially on mobile) and it gets popular... NL will get demoted.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 8:25pm On Jul 31, 2014
Djtm:
I did not post that. I was responding to a post by the user above me.

Sorry about that. I apologize, let me check the user did. I apologize once again.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 8:27pm On Jul 31, 2014

What do you mean by Yahoo became a website of no description? Like I dont seem to understand that statement. Are you saying that Yahoo is irrevelant? Or that it fell off? I mean we all know Google took over the search engine from Yahoo, but I think because Yahoo wasn't stepping up their game. More like what might happen to Nairaland. Or how do you feel?
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 8:29pm On Jul 31, 2014
SpaceGoat: okay. i will try bid 4 million dollars again next time when i dream the dream in my dream again . tank for advice

Im not saying that. Personally, when you said that you wanted to buy Nairaland, I thought you mean when it first came out. Like when Nairaland was just a joke or rumor. Like if you have the money, then I see it as a great investment. But at the same time, you could use that 4 million dollars to create a Nairaland clone for about $100 and use the $3.9 million for marketing, getting programmers and adding features. Or how do you feel?
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 8:33pm On Jul 31, 2014
curiouslad:

Upgraded to what?

The difference between nairaland and reddit is substantial.
User's Vote which topics get to frontpage , which comment goes to the top, user's can create their subreddit...

I could go on.

The op's conclusion that nairaland is a billion dollar empire in the post you quoted me is fallacious

Upgrade it to a startup company. So can't Nairaland copy and use Reddit's features as well? The only reason Reddit is better than Nairaland, is because Reddit is exposed more. Its like comparing Jay-Z to Dbanj. Kanye West to Wizkid. Nas to Davido. American & Nigerian rappers are both good and both are in a competitive market, but American rappers have more exposure than Nigerian rappers. Or how do you feel?
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 8:36pm On Jul 31, 2014
GodMode:

The current trend now is sharing. NL is a forum. So you have to create a topic before posting.

But people want to "show off" their "lifestyle".. If a Nigerian creates such platform(especially on mobile) and it gets popular... NL will get demoted.

I feel and understand you, but don't people share information on Nairaland? Also look at your last statement, "IF A NIGERIAN CREATES SUCH PLATFORM (ESPECIALLY ON MOBILE) AND IT GETS POPULAR" <~ that right there says it all. 1st to create the app. 2nd to make it popular. The 1st part is easy, the 2nd part is really really really hard. More like a barrier to entry.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by Djtm(m): 8:38pm On Jul 31, 2014
ClintonNzedimma: i mean yahoo.com

Google is not a website google.com is
Notwithstanding, I still do not think offering a lot of services killed yahoo (having a page full of links should be part tho). There were a lot of factors that put yahoo in a coma.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by ClintonNzedimma(m): 8:39pm On Jul 31, 2014
davidsmith8900:

What do you mean by Yahoo became a website of no description? Like I dont seem to understand that statement. Are you saying that Yahoo is irrevelant? Or that it fell off? I mean we all know Google took over the search engine from Yahoo, but I think because Yahoo wasn't stepping up their game. More like what might happen to Nairaland. Or how do you feel?
I didnt say no description, i said NO SPECIFIC DESCRIPTION.
You cant pack all features of the internet and put it into Nairaland.com, it will kill its original concept of being a forum on the people by the people and of the people.
I know Nairaland needs to step up its game and bring something new but that something new should revolve round its original concept

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by GodMode: 8:39pm On Jul 31, 2014
davidsmith8900:

I feel and understand you, but don't people share information on Nairaland? Also look at your last statement, "IF A NIGERIAN CREATES SUCH PLATFORM (ESPECIALLY ON MOBILE) AND IT GETS POPULAR" <~ that right there says it all. 1st to create the app. 2nd to make it popular. The 1st part is easy, the 2nd part is really really really hard. More like a barrier to entry.

You're wrong... The first part is hard while the second part is really really really easy.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by ClintonNzedimma(m): 8:44pm On Jul 31, 2014
Djtm:
Notwithstanding, I still do not think offering a lot of services killed yahoo (having a page full of links should be part tho). There were a lot of factors that put yahoo in a coma.
yeah, i understand
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by curiouslad(m): 8:45pm On Jul 31, 2014
davidsmith8900:

Upgrade it to a startup company.

Why do you think it is not a startup company? Seun has employees you know
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 8:55pm On Jul 31, 2014
Djtm:

I totally agree. Yahoo killed yahoo because they were number one and didnt take search engines as serious as Google did. Same thing goes for Altavista. Back in the day, search engines weren't that known for making money. Even before VCs invested into search engines they laughed it. When Google wanted to sell it for $1 million dollars they were clowned made fun of.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 8:57pm On Jul 31, 2014
curiouslad:

Why do you think it is not a startup company? Seun has employees you know

Nairaland is a startup company, and it is slacking like this? When competitors are coming left and right, and Nairaland is stagnate like a water in a pond?
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 8:59pm On Jul 31, 2014
GodMode:

You're wrong... The first part is hard while the second part is really really really easy.

You are wrong. I can put up a Nairaland clone within 3 hours but to get users is way way hard. Its a forum and like other forums its source code is easy to have and implement. I have Nairaland source code and everything on my Ubuntu laptop. The hard part is marketing and getting users to use it everyday. Nairaland has become an addiction. Making a website or web app into an addiction is not easy. Thats the hard part.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by Djtm(m): 9:00pm On Jul 31, 2014
I actually prepared a robust reply for this thread and I accidentally deleted it. Typing (long posts) on mobile ain't fun at all.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by Djtm(m): 9:03pm On Jul 31, 2014
davidsmith8900:

You are wrong. I can put up a Nairaland clone within 3 hours but to get users is way way hard. Its a forum and like other forums its source code is easy to have and implement. I have Nairaland source code and everything on my Ubuntu laptop. The hard part is marketing and getting users to use it everyday. Nairaland has become an addiction. Making a website or web app into an addiction is not easy. Thats the hard part.
Exactly! Forums especially.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by GodMode: 9:29pm On Jul 31, 2014
davidsmith8900:

Your problem is cloning.. People don't believe in clones. NL is a forum with less than basic forum features.
In forums, topics are created and discussed on. I mean creating a site where people can create topics and also create posts.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by asalimpo(m): 9:53pm On Jul 31, 2014
If a clone of nairaland is made imitating nairaland,it will fail.
But if a forum for nigerian nationals is made, concentratg on some unique features, slowly it will accrue members. It doesnt need to compete with NL, just b good at wat it does and keep on innovatg. People will flock or depart based on its unique points. E.g compare linkedin to facebook.
Similarities:
members use pix id,
chat available
essays enabled

linkedin style:
corporate,formal,serious tone.
Members pix adjusts to the site tone.
Career oriented features

Facebook:
laidback
easy,informal
friendship oriented

some with its tone set. It attracts different sets of ppl.
A forum with a different tone than NL wud attract ppl.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. / Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate / VR (virtual Reality) Developer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.