Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,272 members, 7,780,612 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:37 PM

Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously (5028 Views)

The Need For The First Nigeria Owned Billion Dollar Company In Nigeria / Nairaland Has Changed My Name From Pc Guru To Pcguru1 / Multi-Player Whot & Ludo Game For Phones: Please Help Us Test This App (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 10:56pm On Jul 31, 2014
ClintonNzedimma:
I didnt say no description, i said NO SPECIFIC DESCRIPTION.
You cant pack all features of the internet and put it into Nairaland.com, it will kill its original concept of being a forum on the people by the people and of the people.
I know Nairaland needs to step up its game and bring something new but that something new should revolve round its original concept

So you dont think that Nairaland should add features? What if Nairaland had spinoff companies?
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 10:57pm On Jul 31, 2014
Djtm: I actually prepared a robust reply for this thread and I accidentally deleted it. Typing (long posts) on mobile ain't fun at all.

Yeah, I feel you. Maybe we can make it an app for that.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 11:03pm On Jul 31, 2014
GodMode:

Your problem is cloning.. People don't believe in clones. NL is a forum with less than basic forum features.
In forums, topics are created and discussed on. I mean creating a site where people can create topics and also create posts.

But that is the easy part. The hard part is getting ppl to actually use the product. "Build it and they will come" theory no longer works, bcuz everybody is building. Its just like the balloon effect when building apps.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 11:05pm On Jul 31, 2014
asalimpo: If a clone of nairaland is made imitating nairaland,it will fail.
But if a forum for nigerian nationals is made, concentratg on some unique features, slowly it will accrue members. It doesnt need to compete with NL, just b good at wat it does and keep on innovatg. People will flock or depart based on its unique points. E.g compare linkedin to facebook.
Similarities:
members use pix id,
chat available
essays enabled

linkedin style:
corporate,formal,serious tone.
Members pix adjusts to the site tone.
Career oriented features

Facebook:
laidback
easy,informal
friendship oriented

some with its tone set. It attracts different sets of ppl.
A forum with a different tone than NL wud attract ppl.

So do you think YanMe will fail, since it is sought of like the clone of NL. Like Ugochukwu looks like he wants to be number 1. He is not laid back and playing. He is on his grind. His problem is getting ppl to use his product.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by naijatechworld: 11:30pm On Jul 31, 2014
Ive been looking at this thread, and it is very interesting. I think the op, pushed it a little with a multi-BILLION, more like a multi-MILLION startup. At most a 3-figured multi-million startup. Back in 2011, according to this article ~> http://webtrendsng.com/blog/analyst-insight-is-nairaland-really-worth-1million/ NL had a startup value of 2.5 Million dollars, fast forward to mid 2014, its startup value is probably more now and in the double-triple million figures. It should be more than this Seun hasnt been pushing this very hard. Either way he is a millionaire, and that is not bad.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by asalimpo(m): 3:06am On Aug 01, 2014
davidsmith8900:

So do you think YanMe will fail, since it is sought of like the clone of NL. Like Ugochukwu looks like he wants to be number 1. He is not laid back and playing. He is on his grind. His problem is getting ppl to use his product.

any attempt to clone an existg brand by imitation without variation will only make you second best. Wat will make u visit a NL look-alike wen u gat the real thing?
But visit a new site with a different perspectve can sway you.
No matter wat u do,theyll b early adpters and these ppl will spread d wrd for u. If ur really good, a crwd will bgn to trckle in.
If a new site comes on tht does thngs NL is not doing but shud do,
a crwd will form and it will bgn to grow. Yanme's success depends on its strategy- mindless clone or refreshing alternative.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by curiouslad(m): 3:19am On Aug 01, 2014
davidsmith8900:

Nairaland is a startup company, and it is slacking like this? When competitors are coming left and right, and Nairaland is stagnate like a water in a pond?

What do you mean by slacking
Where are the competitiors. Competition is good but I can't really see any competitor.
How is it stagnating?
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 4:38am On Aug 01, 2014
asphalt8: What nairaland is a very good clone, and i am working very hard creating a very good clone. Am still strategizing on how to port over users en-masse from nairaland, i have several plans and i am going to try them one after the other.
What if i fail, well. . . . .at least let it not be said that i did not try, i shall try not to shut nairaland down in the process of testing out my scripts

Exactly my point. The hard part is getting users from Nairaland. I wish you well, and that is from the heart.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 4:40am On Aug 01, 2014
asalimpo:

any attempt to clone an existg brand by imitation without variation will only make you second best. Wat will make u visit a NL look-alike wen u gat the real thing?
But visit a new site with a different perspectve can sway you.
No matter wat u do,theyll b early adpters and these ppl will spread d wrd for u. If ur really good, a crwd will bgn to trckle in.
If a new site comes on tht does thngs NL is not doing but shud do,
a crwd will form and it will bgn to grow. Yanme's success depends on its strategy- mindless clone or refreshing alternative.

Exactly on point. @Asalimpo you are right on everything. Still but plz remember that everything needs to begin somewhere. I believe that is what Yanme is doing. They are starting with NL's user interface and are gradually getting better day by day. Adding features here and there as well as customizing their brand.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by davidsmith8900: 4:40am On Aug 01, 2014
curiouslad:

What do you mean by slacking
Where are the competitiors. Competition is good but I can't really see any competitor.
How is it stagnating?

What about YM? That is not a threat to NL?
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by toshodei: 5:52am On Aug 01, 2014
Remember NL started as a forum. Here Are few Websites, That Have Been Used To Evaluate Nairaland.com (not the potential aspect of it like in my 1st post), just the site online. Remember I said that Nairaland can be split into 10 STARTUPS in my original post, if taken seriously but this is just to evaluate the site without apis, features or upgrades. Lets not 4get that this is just a forum. Get a source code, put it on a server and tell your friends about it and now it is worth millions of dollars.

1. http://mcjonline.com/domain/nairaland.com ~> $ 8,993,160.00
2. http://siteworthit.com/websiteworth.cfm?siteq=nairaland.com&search=Check+Website+Worth ~> $3,004,329.93
3. http://siteworthchecker.com/nairaland.com ~> $2.6 Million USD
4. http://www.freewebsitereport.org/www.nairaland.com ~> $2.6 Million USD
5. http://www.yourwebsitevalue.com/details/n/a/i/nairaland_com.html ~> $667, 148 but same company wants to pay $2448/month to have ads on this site
6. http://www.webuka.com/ ~> $6,571,742 USD with monthly income of $262, 870 USD.

That was just to evaluate the site. Now imagined if each subforum was created as an app.

i.e. Nairaland Programming = Stack Overflow or Quora.com
i.e. Nairaland Jobs = Elance + Freelance + oDesk + PeoplePerHour
i.e. Nairaland Computers/Phones = Craigslist + Amazon + eBay
i.e. Nairaland Movies/TVS = YouTube
i.e. Nairaland Ads = Google Adswords
i.e. Nairaland Forum = Google
i.e. Nairaland News = BBC + CNN
i.e. Nairaland Music/Radio = iTunes/SoundCloud/TuneIn

etc etc etc. Like Are u kidding me? Nairaland is a MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR STARTUP POTENTIAL!!!
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by olyjosh(m): 7:33am On Aug 01, 2014
Omoooo!!. I look this post sha and I see say everybody has spoken well. I look am again I see say e be like oga Seun no dey try cos matter like this that involve improving this app do arises but nothing den so about it. I come look am again I come see say e be like say those witches wey dey Seun's place don finally here about nairaland and they are like we are currently working on it

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by Seun(m): 7:57am On Aug 01, 2014
Thank you all for your valuable advice, which I really appreciate. We will work hard to implement the ideas that will make Nairaland better.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by toshodei: 8:08am On Aug 01, 2014
Seun: Thank you all for your valuable advice, which I really appreciate. We will work hard to implement the ideas that will make Nairaland better.

Please do sir, we all wishing and banking on your success. Always improve and please never slack. Stay hungry.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by asalimpo(m): 10:01am On Aug 01, 2014
*Thread closed. Rubber stamp applied.*

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by LogoDWhiz(m): 12:18pm On Aug 01, 2014
Well well well,

I with suggest Mr. Seun, have a mini company.. A building with a couple of offices, which will include programmers, good PR crew, moderators.. And accounts manager. With this, I believe there will be proper management, and Nairaland will be much more better.

This site is much more bigger than it was few years back, u have to expand your scope and in doing so expand your physical scope.

There is quote I once heard, " To move to the next level in life, you need a new level of diligence".

In this context, u need a new level of administration.. Both on things on the site and things off the site.

Nairaland can be much more better than this. So many potentials .

God bless u

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by toshodei: 2:55pm On Aug 01, 2014
LogoDWhiz: Well well well,

I with suggest Mr. Seun, have a mini company.. A building with a couple of offices, which will include programmers, good PR crew, moderators.. And accounts manager. With this, I believe there will be proper management, and Nairaland will be much more better.

This site is much more bigger than it was few years back, u have to expand your scope and in doing so expand your physical scope.

There is quote I once heard, " To move to the next level in life, you need a new level of diligence".

In this context, u need a new level of administration.. Both on things on the site and things off the site.

Nairaland can be much more better than this. So many potentials .

God bless u

So true!!!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by Nobody: 3:05am On Jan 12, 2019
cry

Speechless.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by oshionelecky: 11:14pm On Jan 13, 2019
hi seun, i have a simple ecommerce strategy that nairaland can rake huge revenue from. lot's of people buy and sell on NL. pls allow me show you a simple and suprisingly cheap way to have your share in these transactions.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate / Who Is The Best Programmer In Nairaland? / Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.