Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,066 members, 7,807,203 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:59 AM

The Toyota / Lexus Hybrid Thread. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Toyota / Lexus Hybrid Thread. (9513 Views)

The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light / Toyota Venza Vs Toyota Lexus RX 350 (your Advise Needed) / The Rate Which The Toyota Camry Gets Stolen This Days Is So Alarming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Toyota / Lexus Hybrid Thread. by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 26, 2014
Carshopper:

I don't import from cotonou cheesy.... have 2 hybrid vehicle ( highlander and rx400h)... jus want to know reasons so I can educate my clients

Taaa gbaaka door joor! no make me vex cause wind fit blow and fowl yansh go open.

Anyway, when I was in cotonu with saintjoel to pick my RX330 on the 5th January, 2014, I went to parc fifa. And I saw a 2007 RX400h very clean, clean title (I can detect a clean title vehicle from inspection, don't ask me how), the car was put at 1.7m +330k and it was just 70,000miles. It drove fine but the battery was 56% (point 1) secondly, the audio system had a CD stuck inside (point 2).
These factors made me walk away from that deal.
I went ahead to pick up an RX330 which was moved of the container the previous night. And the price was 2.6m+330K (this car was expensive but was way cleaner than the RX400h) it had everything I needed in an RX and it didn't have what I hate in RX (air suspension).

People would criticize me based on the logic behind my buying a car that's more expensive, consume more petrol and is older than the 1st Right? Yea!

Reason for my choice : (watch this part carefully the answer to your question lies here). I know at 57%, the battery powering the generator of the hybrid system is almost halfway gone. I hear say dem say camry battery pack is approx 400k replacement. Highlander is approx 400-600K. How much will RX400h be?
The brakes is a regenerative breaking system. How will I easily get the brake parts to replace them when they're worn out?
RX330's electrical system is complicated but The electrical components in RX400h are way complicated than that of RX330.
The certified qualified eng'rs and teckie to fix these hybrids are few or even absent in Naija.

Why would I go thru the headache of looking at them when the money I've saved on low fuel consumption would eventually be used to fix troubles when they come calling?

In Naija, hybrids aint worth the dime.

1 Like

Re: The Toyota / Lexus Hybrid Thread. by Carshopper(m): 12:46pm On Oct 26, 2014
lomomike:

Taaa gbaaka door joor! no make me vex cause wind fit blow and fowl yansh go open.

Anyway, when I was in cotonu with saintjoel to pick my RX330 on the 5th January, 2014, I went to parc fifa. And I saw a 2007 RX400h very clean, clean title (I can detect a clean title vehicle from inspection, don't ask me how), the car was put at 1.7m +330k and it was just 70,000miles. It drove fine but the battery was 56% (point 1) secondly, the audio system had a CD stuck inside (point 2).
These factors made me walk away from that deal.
I went ahead to pick up an RX330 which was moved of the container the previous night. And the price was 2.6m+330K (this car was expensive but was way cleaner than the RX400h) it had everything I needed in an RX and it didn't have what I hate in RX (air suspension).

People would criticize me based on the logic behind my buying a car that's more expensive, consume more petrol and is older than the 1st Right? Yea!

Reason for my choice : (watch this part carefully the answer to your question lies here). I know at 57%, the battery powering the generator of the hybrid system is almost halfway gone. I hear say dem say camry battery pack is approx 400k replacement. Highlander is approx 400-600K. How much will RX400h be?
The brakes is a regenerative breaking system. How will I easily get the brake parts to replace them when they're worn out?
RX330's electrical system is complicated but The electrical components in RX400h are way complicated than that of RX330.
The certified qualified eng'rs and teckie to fix these hybrids are few or even absent in Naija.

Why would I go thru the headache of looking at them when the money I've saved on low fuel consumption would eventually be used to fix troubles when they come calling?

In Naija, hybrids aint worth the dime.

Thanks for the input. Makes sense. BUT SERIOUSLY I don't import from cotonou (ask saintjoel.... bin to cotonou only once in 2008ish)
Re: The Toyota / Lexus Hybrid Thread. by jadakiss213(m): 6:52pm On Aug 24, 2015
Siena:
With regards to washing the engines in Hybrid models, we do carry out Service Washes, with the owners sometimes requesting we steam clean the engine bay too. So far, there have been no issues.

The connectors in Hybrid models are as Military spec, with particular attention being paid to the HV circuits. Extremely waterproof.
HI Sienna,i drive a toyota camry hybrid 07> it has been a hell of experience. bought it used and the mileage was ok then,less than 60k.(dont know if it was tampered with though).was driving home 3 weeks ago,the car started stalling.managed to park and got it checked by a tech a week after..and the scanner comes up with "replace hybrid battery pack" message..and to think its a car i got in January..it doesent start,and if it does,it vibrates and then stops>>the "check hybrid sysem'' message comes up intermittently.i really need your honest advice.this stuff is driving me nuts....thanks.
Re: The Toyota / Lexus Hybrid Thread. by Opsaipro: 10:24am On Jan 29, 2016
Hello,

On the 2004 accord hybrid, there's a big switch (behind the back seat) you can throw to disengage the inverter and batteries. It's basically a maintenance switch, but if your electrical drive components have a problem, you can throw the switch and drive the car as a gasoline.

Does the prius have such a function, of if the inverter/battery have a problem, the car is undriveable until it's fixed? Also, does the highlander hybrid have that function?
Re: The Toyota / Lexus Hybrid Thread. by ikefor(m): 9:37am On Feb 08, 2016
Opsaipro:

[quote author=Opsaipro post=42428342]Hello,
On the 2004 accord hybrid, there's a big switch (behind the back seat) you can throw to disengage the inverter and batteries. It's basically a maintenance switch, but if your electrical drive components have a problem, you can throw the switch and drive the car as a gasoline.
Does the prius have such a function, of if the inverter/battery have a problem, the car is undriveable until it's fixed? Also, does the highlander hybrid have that function?

Nope, you cannot disengage the Toyota (Prius, Camry and Highlander) hybrid traction battery or inverter system to enable it function as a conventional vehicle.

If my limited knowledge in the IMA world serves me right, i know that in the Honda insight, disabling the IMA battery using this switch poses its own challenges like

Running the 12 volt battery down as the IMA system is supposed to charges the 12volts battery (so people who do this will usually have a trickle charge to frequently charge the 12v battery)

Acceleration response degradation as response will drop significantly as car is not using its full compliment

Mr. Jossy
2007 prius 1NZ-FXE
2010 prius 2ZR-FXE

hybrids dot com dot ng
Re: The Toyota / Lexus Hybrid Thread. by ikefor(m): 4:03pm On Feb 08, 2016
@Sienna just saw page 1 of this thread, what a lovely thread you started with good picture quality too. Indeed the informtion helps demystifies the prius inverter.
One of my prius is a 2010, though older, it has about the same 2ZR engine and system similar to the one in the post, there was a TSB issued for the recall/change of the intake manifold because of a knocking and rattling sound from startup….fortunately 2 years ago, when it happened to mine, cleaning the EGR system, Intake manifold and applying some HEET water remover seemed to do the trick and its been good since then.

An important point which i will like highlight from your post is safety, particularly around hybrid battery packs. High voltage which is present in High Voltage Hybrid Battery Packs are hazardous and could cause death or serious injury! Even when the service (orange) plug has been removed, care must still be taken around the battery because there could be a short to ground leading to some resultant voltage in the circuitry.

In my work experience fixing hybrid batteries, while removing a HV battery pack, how i check for lack of voltage on the battery to be removed is to check both leads to ground to verify no voltage present (if its not less than 1V then its not safe) as HV battery floats with respect to ground, this is in addition to checking between the positive and negative leads for total lack of voltage.

A case in point is a customer with a failed Dorman HV battery pack with 70+ volts registered between the -ve terminal to ground - without the service plug inserted.

Mr. Jossy
2007 prius 1NZ-FXE
2010 prius 2ZR-FXE

hybrids dot com dot ng
Re: The Toyota / Lexus Hybrid Thread. by computerglobal(m): 10:55pm On Aug 13, 2017
computerglobal:
For Vin checks & report history

www.nairaland.com/computerglobal

Sms vin to 08060365068 or send us a mail via computerglobaltech at gmail dot com

(1) (2) (Reply)

Car AC Works Well Only In The Morning And Evening But Struggles In Hot Afternoon / How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? / 5 Recent Revolutionary Innovations In The Automotive Sector

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.