Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:25 AM

Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World (32429 Views)

Political Cartoon: Buhari The Snail, A Nation In Waiting - Sahara Reporters / Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 / Nigeria The Most Corrupt Nation In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 11:00pm On Sep 19, 2005
Money isn't the only thing that determines how rich a nation is.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by WesleyanA(f): 11:01pm On Sep 19, 2005
oil is not either. so dont think it is.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by queen2(f): 11:01pm On Sep 19, 2005
Thats true, i now believe, but when they say someone's rich that means the person has gat enough money though  undecided
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 11:07pm On Sep 19, 2005
You're right queen. That's the normal perspective of anybody towards riches. But really, a rich man is someone who has goals and not gold smiley
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by WesleyanA(f): 11:10pm On Sep 19, 2005
were talking about nations' physical wealth here not spiritual. i'm sure Nigeria is probably the most religious.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by queen2(f): 11:12pm On Sep 19, 2005
Yeah i think its the most religious too, but theres no impact that its religious.. embarassed
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Seun(m): 11:12pm On Sep 19, 2005
That was the old ranking. This one is new, and has been reported in the Nigerian Guardian newspaper, but I've been unable get a web link.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 11:14pm On Sep 19, 2005
Nigeria is the most religious and by the way wesley, who was talking spiritual?
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by WesleyanA(f): 11:16pm On Sep 19, 2005
if i were the president of Nigeria, nobody will like me. but when i die, they'll be thanking me. cheesy
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 11:18pm On Sep 19, 2005
I wouldn't even dare to vote for u tongue

President ke??
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by WesleyanA(f): 11:19pm On Sep 19, 2005
did i say i wanted to be a president? NO!... i said "if"
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by queen2(f): 11:19pm On Sep 19, 2005
I saw this on bbc news online now, but not sure

"Nigeria's anti-corruption commission has a tough job - the country is ranked the second most corrupt in the world according to Transparency International."
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 11:21pm On Sep 19, 2005
yeah we are the 2nd most corrupt. grin We were formerly the first but thank God we are improving!
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by WesleyanA(f): 11:22pm On Sep 19, 2005
anti- corruption whatever can't solve nothing. as long as poverty remains, there'll be corruption

what Nigeria needs is tough love or iron whatever the word is.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 11:24pm On Sep 19, 2005
na u sabi.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by WesleyanA(f): 11:26pm On Sep 19, 2005
and the president needs to start a really tough taxing system to get that revenue flowing.
no 5000000 naira bills too.

it's going to be tough. but it needs to get tough to get better.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by queen2(f): 11:26pm On Sep 19, 2005
goodguy:

yeah we are the 2nd most corrupt. grin We were formerly the first but thank God we are improving!
improving on what n is dat an achievement?? embarassed
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 11:29pm On Sep 19, 2005
yeah is it. From 1st down to 2nd grin
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by queen2(f): 11:31pm On Sep 19, 2005
angry
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 11:32pm On Sep 19, 2005
wink cheesy
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Latoya(f): 5:11am On Sep 20, 2005
u guys should pls learn to go find out infos before u put up a thread.i was taught in school that the 2nd poorest country in the world in NIGER,its pronounced Nigeria so pls dont mix things up.
we are a lot better than a lot of african countries like i have said in my previous post.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by joftech(m): 5:47am On Sep 20, 2005
Why must we all be saying Nigeria is not poor when it's glaring to all that lives here that we are living simply because of the grace of GOD.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 10:50am On Sep 20, 2005
@LATOYA: I guess that should be directed to hipcaramel and not "you guys"
@JOFTECH: Agreed, we are poor but not to the extent of being the 2nd poorest in the world!

Gimme a break!!!!!
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Seun(m): 10:57am On Sep 20, 2005
World Bank rates Nigeria second poorest nation

Yet another World Bank report has put Nigeria at the top of the world's poorest nations. The new publication released at the ongoing United Nations summit offers new estimates of total wealth including produced capital, natural resources and the value of human skills and capabilities, which show that many of the poorest countries in the world are not on a sustainable path. It cites Nigeria as an example of resource-dependent nation, which could have produced capital five times higher than it did in 2000, if only it had made a moderate effort to save.

The document: "Where is the Wealth of Nations? Measuring Capital for the 21st Century" launched by the World Bank listed the top-10 richest countries and top-10 poorest countries Sub-Saharan Africa dominates the latter, with Nigeria standing on the ninth position before Ethiopia, which has the lowest level of total wealth. Switzerland heads a list in which the top-10 performers are all Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) countries. European countries-of which two are Scandinavian-dominate the list and non-European economies are the United States and Japan. Madagascar, Chad, Mozambique, Guinea Bissau, Nepal, Niger, Congo Republic, and Burundi are ahead of Nigeria in ranking. Their wealth per capital varies from $5,020 to $2, 859 while natural capital stood between 265 per cent and 42 per cent. The produced capital of the countries was put between 180 per cent and 6 per cent, and intangible capital 64 per cent and 39 per cent. Figures for Nigeria's wealth per capital are $2,748, natural capital 147 per cent, produced capital 24 percent and intangible capital is minus 71.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 11:21am On Sep 20, 2005
Interesting! So Nigeria actually is the 2nd poorest in the world grin
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by layi(m): 11:31am On Sep 20, 2005
goodguy:

We were never first. we were third now 2nd. Thats no achievement. There are over 250 countries in this world for heavens sake.
Bangladesh is a country to beat anytime.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 11:40am On Sep 20, 2005
The last time I checked the net, we had just 192 countries in the world. Where did the extra 58 or more come from? . From my research, Nigeria was formerly the most corrupt in the world.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by layi(m): 12:55pm On Sep 20, 2005
goodguy:

The last time I checked the net, we had just 192 countries in the world. Where did the extra 58 or more come from? . From my research, Nigeria was formerly the most corrupt in the world.

Actually there are 193 member countries (East timor has just been added) in the United Nations but what about countries outside the United nations like Palestine? Greenland? Western Sahara? vatican nations?
There are actually 193 within d UN and about 61 outside though very small independent countries (some wit population below 10,000)

Nigeria has been the most corrupt country in Africa but never been the most corrupt in the world. Bangladesh has been for ages.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by obong(m): 2:05pm On Sep 20, 2005
The corruption index is perception, not an actual measurement. Its call the corruption perception index to highlight the fact that its how corrupt the rest of the world views you. So basically if nigeria works on its image, it should move up the corruption index, even if its remains just as corrupt as it is today
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by whiteshark(m): 1:35am On Sep 21, 2005
The statistics are so true that we need to be ashamed of our choices of leaders as well as ourselves as citizen of the nation. With man power exceeding 130 million and wealth abundant, we are still wallowing in squalor, want and acute need. we blame government when we are as corrupt, bad and with criiminal tendecies like the ones on top. We cheat @ exams, lie, steal, kill 4 immaterial things, bootleg, bunker and bribe. No basic education, no Medicare, no nothing. I dey shame badly 4 myself as a nigerian and 4 all of us who cannot stand up and speak out for fear of the unknown.

Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by WesleyanA(f): 3:56am On Sep 21, 2005
nigeria needs a new taxing system if it already has one. that's the easiest way to get revenue.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by layi(m): 11:16am On Sep 21, 2005
...yes, revenue for the pockets and Swiss accounts of our leaders.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Photos Of The Present State Of Enugu-Onitsha Expressway / New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers / Rotimi Amaechi Submitting Himself To Security Checks By Arik Air - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.