Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:41 AM

Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World (32426 Views)

Political Cartoon: Buhari The Snail, A Nation In Waiting - Sahara Reporters / Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 / Nigeria The Most Corrupt Nation In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Xtiana: 10:37pm On Sep 21, 2005
i'm really not surprised.

nigeria needs to do something. millitary dictatorship is not bad. when the country is organized well enough and able to stand on it's feet, representative democracy should replace it.
corruption and reign of unable leaders need to end.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by dora(f): 11:08am On Sep 23, 2005
   Honestly this ranking of Nigeria as the second poorest country is more of an abormination. Am so  shocked because of this and even  angry coz we can't be the second poorest. If Nigeria is the second poorest, what will some other countries like Zimbabwe among others be ranked as? Please world Bank think twice and go back to rate again because if Nigeria is the second poorest then some African countries will not be ranked since it will be a horrible shame on them.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Farriel(m): 9:01pm On Sep 23, 2005
So so, Dora. I can't imagine what countries like Botswana and Burundi and others are ranked as if Nigeria is the second poorest nation. Maybe they weren't even considered for participation in the ratings wink. On papers in the offices of the World Bank, Nigeria could be the 2nd poorest, but in truth, it isn't. I honestly can't imagine anyone would think we actually are.

There are so many countries we are richer than, and not as per the amount of money flowing through the treasures of the country, but as regards the general standard of living for the average citizen. C'mon guys, y'all know better.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Latoya(f): 11:21am On Sep 24, 2005
if u all believe this is true and u have your proves then something must be wrong somewhere
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by otokx(m): 2:19pm On Sep 24, 2005
its not just possible when we have such countries as somalia, sudan, niger, haiti, afghanistan, western sahara, rwanda, zimbabwe, chad, etc on the face of this planet
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by queen2(f): 5:59pm On Sep 24, 2005
YES, i know Nigeria shouldn't be ranked the second poorest country, but due to the corruption, it is.... angry
Rubbish country
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 6:28pm On Sep 24, 2005
rubbish country
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by queen2(f): 6:41pm On Sep 24, 2005
why are you confused gudguy, im i lieing? angry
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 6:49pm On Sep 24, 2005
I'm not confused. I'm just thinking it's all gonna be good one day wink
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by queen2(f): 6:50pm On Sep 24, 2005
hun I think so... embarassed
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 6:57pm On Sep 24, 2005
i know so wink
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by whiteshark(m): 8:48pm On Sep 24, 2005
........... Of course the country go beta..........

we dont have a choice. We have to do everything in our possible best to see that the country works. As we all know our fathers and leaders have failed us therefore, it is now up to us the youth to make all the difference there is. If we sit and watch as the country is been plagued and plundered by our so called elite, kings and godfather's, we might not have a country in the next 15 to 20 years (if I can borrow for the security report by the CIA on Nigeria) but if we start to syntesize ourselves to the ever changing world order and how we are going to be left in the dark if we do not get it right, we might just escape the hangman's noose!!

Technically speaking, we are not the 2nd poorest nation in the world but when you imput what we earn as a country with all basic working facilities and infastructures put in place by the soveriegn state as against the huge lack that faces the people, you will then see why thay have termed us so. Mnay paeople would say, what can I do to make a change, I tell you plenty. If you look inwards, into yourselves, you will find the answers to your questions and you w\ill do the right thing.

For starters, try change the way you normally think... If you can do this, you can do anything... Much love

Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 4:44pm On Sep 25, 2005
well said whiteshark wink
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by darlingbas(m): 10:40am On Nov 01, 2005
nigeria needs a new taxing system if it already has one. that's the easiest way to get revenue.

Taxing eh, how does the help the common man, you just want take the little they have, and put it in a private swiss account inne?
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by effects8000(m): 11:28am On Nov 02, 2005
They don come again. Somalia get eletricity? dem strill dey use donkey for sudan and
somalia still dey do trade by batter grin please guys for get about the ranking.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by whiteshark(m): 4:19pm On Nov 02, 2005
nah so we see am sha so we have to take am like dat
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by omon(m): 3:45pm On Nov 03, 2005
Another of those their stupid report says that 1,440 Nigerians die daily from bad drinking water. Imagine that and we are still the most populous in Africa
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 7:35pm On Nov 03, 2005
Are u minding those jobless people? grin
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by boos0: 1:40am On Nov 04, 2005
This ranking has to be wrong; everyday i receive emails from people in Nigeria offering me millions of dollars that they have hidden in an abandoned bank accounts or in a trunk boxs somewhere (once belonging to Mariam Abacha of course wink) Hell, if they could crack open some of these boxes, they could get clean drinking water?! grin
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by sage(m): 2:12am On Nov 04, 2005
boos0:

This ranking has to be wrong; everyday i receive emails from people in Nigeria offering me millions of dollars that they have hidden in an abandoned bank accounts or in a trunk boxs somewhere (once belonging to Mariam Abacha of course wink) Hell, if they could crack open some of these boxes, they could get clean drinking water?! grin

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
i am sure somebody somewhere wants to dupe somebody somewhere
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by whiteshark(m): 8:11am On Nov 04, 2005
grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by layi(m): 11:20am On Nov 05, 2005
somebody somewhere wants to dupe somebody somehow cheesy
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Akolawole(m): 10:48pm On Nov 15, 2005
Did u believe in those statistics.
I beg na lie.
Usin statistics like per capital income in DOLLARS
Is Dollars Naira?
Even with our depleted economy and our so called corruption, we are in top 50 richest country.
I have previledge of touching few European coutries. Most of them are poor.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by WesleyanA(f): 10:52pm On Nov 15, 2005
Most European countries are wealthy not poor. you meant to say "Most African countries are poor"

poor = economically.

They used dollars because they are comparing Nigeria to other countries around the world on the level of poverty.

Nigeria IS the 2nd poorest country in the world take it or leave it!.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by omon(m): 12:09am On Nov 16, 2005
You guys should be careful about how you wag your mouths. How many african countries are richer than Nigeria to start with?
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by joftech(m): 12:14am On Nov 16, 2005
It's not that Nigeria is poor, the economy is what that make us bad. Am sure we will get there.

Comparing Nigeria to countries like USA, UK, Canada is the biggest folly of all time. It's just like comparing your fathers first child to the lastborn; "Bi omode ba laso bi agba, ko le lakisa bi agba".
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Seun(m): 12:29am On Nov 16, 2005
Nigeria is quite oil-rich, but we have 150 million people to support. That is what makes us poor.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by WesleyanA(f): 12:33am On Nov 16, 2005
yeah i was going to say that too. the overpopulation contributes to our poverty.
if only we could do what China is doing : "one or two children per family it would bring down the population a little j/k.  grin
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by joftech(m): 7:36am On Nov 16, 2005
Nigeria is quite oil-rich, but we have 150 million people to support. That is what makes us poor.

Like i have been suggesting wherever i go and in my previous posts here, there is an urgent need to reevaluate the way people are having children.

If we can peg the maximum number of children an household can have to 2, our GDP will rise astronomically within the next 10 years.

I know with education and a new reawakening Nigeria will become the India of Africa.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by whiteshark(m): 11:08am On Nov 16, 2005
Excuse me please........

This not about people (population) tis about wealth (economy) cos back in sec school, we were made to understand that one of the indices for measuring wealth was actuaslly man power which in this case will denote people so the availability of people is not a minus, it is actually a plus. In the case of china, they had to peg the pupolation growth so that their economy could sustain what it had. Even if we do that now, can the country sustain its citizery My thinking is No.. In all fairness, I do not think or would I want to believe that we are not actulaly the 2nd poorest country in the world but considering our position in the world today, giving our resources and man power including popularity, prestige etc, much is expected from us and as such, using the present state of the country and comparing it with what obtaines in other countries with similar resources, U nor go fit blame them 4 wetin them yarn.... We are indeed poor both economically + morally and other wise and there is great need for us to collectively do something about it as soon as possible.

So that we all may learn oh..........
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by joftech(m): 12:06pm On Nov 16, 2005
If you think the population does not affect the distribution of wealth how about when 2000 graduates showed up for a job meant for just 2 people.

If the growth rate of the country's pouplation is not checked we are more or less on the verge of outstripping all the natural resources that we are banking our hopes on. In 10 years from now petrol will cease to be the major energy source, where will Nigeria get the money to sustain her economy and citizens.

Those that said we are 2nd poorest might be right beacuse they based your citizens well being on your GDP; even if your revenue is high your citizens could still be languishing in poverty if your revenue cannot effectively cater for them all.

It's just like living on N1,000 per month in Lagos.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by whiteshark(m): 12:27pm On Nov 16, 2005
My broda please listen... If the people at the helms of affairs did the right things ever since, we will not be in the mess that we are now. Do we have more population that China or the soviet union?? We have as much resources as any nation in this world can have but we have failed to manage wat we have accordingly and that is why we are having the stress that we now have. I tell u that we are trully blessed and if we use our man power resources to harness out natural resources with a sound adminstration in place, we can never go wrong. There will be food on the table, cloths on our backs and good roofs over our head... Wen u have one man to 10 mil dollars and anoda man to 100 naira we want to still say that population is a problem No. Equity is the problem not population. Accountability is a problem. The rule of law and security is a problem. If we handle our stuff well from wen oil was discovered in naija up until now, today the average nigerian would have been a millionaire. We conviniently 4got coacoa and groundnut and timber and other stuff that gave us money and run after oil and that has cuased us the very problems that we are now facing. If we clean the top, the rest will be fine...

so that we may learn...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Jonathan's Trekker Oladele In Otuoke As Election Observer(pic) / Rotimi Amaechi Submitting Himself To Security Checks By Arik Air - Photos / Okorocha's Statue, 'Effigy' Destroyed In Imo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.