Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,481 members, 7,781,434 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:20 PM

BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. (33077 Views)

ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States / America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal / Uganda's Ugliest Man, Godfrey Baguma Welcomes 8th Child With His 2nd Wife (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Symphony007: 11:52am On Aug 01, 2014
A Ugandan court on Friday invalidated an anti-gay bill signed into law earlier this year, saying it was illegally passed and is therefore unconstitutional.

The panel of five judges on the East African country's Constitutional Court said the speaker of parliament acted illegally when she allowed a vote on the measure despite at least three objections over lack of a quorum.

"The speaker was obliged to ensure that there was quorum," the court said in its ruling. "We come to the conclusion that she acted illegally."

The ruling was made before a courtroom packed with Ugandans opposing or supporting the measure. Activists erupted in loud cheers after the court ruled the law is now "null and void."

Ugandan lawyer Ladislaus Rwakafuuzi, an attorney for the activists, said the ruling "upholds the rule of law and constitutionalism in Uganda."

Kosiya Kasibayo, a state attorney, said a decision had not been made on whether to appeal the ruling in the Supreme Court.

The anti-gay measure provided for jail terms of up to life for those convicted of engaging in gay sex. It also allowed lengthy jail terms for those convicted of the offenses of "attempted homosexuality" as well as "promotion of homosexuality."

Although the legislation has wide support in Uganda, it has been condemned in the West and rights groups have described it as draconian. The U.S., which wants the law repealed, has withheld or redirected funding to some Ugandan institutions accused of involvement in rights abuses.

The law was passed by lawmakers in December and enacted in February by Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni, who said he wanted to deter Western groups from promoting homosexuality among African children.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28605400

9 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Descartes: 11:53am On Aug 01, 2014
Fingers crossed grin

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by datbay(m): 11:54am On Aug 01, 2014
Meaning what?
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Symphony007: 11:59am On Aug 01, 2014
It gives me great joy that there are still countries in africa with a judiciary that does it job without sentiments or personal feelings. No country on earth can have a constitution which protects fundamental human rights then go ahead to criminalize freedom of expression. It is ridiculous and no judiciary will stand for that. Nigeria should take note. Our supreme court must strike down ours if it gets to their desk. If our governments wants it's anti gay law to stand, then it should do a constitutional amendment were fundamental human rights is removed then a law like that can stand. But you can't claim to protect human rights and put people in jail for living their lives because you don't like how they do it. It's a mockery of constitutional democracy. You can't eat your cake and have it.

84 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Symphony007: 12:03pm On Aug 01, 2014
datbay: Meaning what?
meaning the law is illegal and will not go into effect. And if our supreme court justices are professionals do their job without personal beliefs ours too will be struck down. No anti gay law will withstand constitutional muster in a country that protects fundamental human rights and individual freedoms.

18 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by blooddykiller: 12:04pm On Aug 01, 2014
The fear of yankees

9 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by desgiezd(m): 12:09pm On Aug 01, 2014
Symphony007: It gives me great joy that there are still countries in africa with a judiciary that does it job without sentiments or personal feelings. No country on earth can have a constitution which protects fundamental human rights then go ahead to criminalize freedom of expression. It is ridiculous and no judiciary will stand for that. Nigeria should take note. Our supreme court must strike down ours if it gets to their desk. If our governments wants it's anti gay law to stand, then it should do a constitutional amendment were fundamental human rights is removed then a law like that can stand. But you can't claim to protect human rights and put people in jail for living their lives because you don't like how they do it. It's a mockery of constitutional democracy. You can't eat your cake and have it.

Even where there are fundamental human rights, does it mean that there should be no limits?

114 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Descartes: 12:16pm On Aug 01, 2014
Uganda is a Western puppet, that can not happen in Nigeria angry

36 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Symphony007: 12:16pm On Aug 01, 2014
desgiezd:

Even where there are fundamental human rights, does it mean that there should be no limits?
there are limits. If you commit murder, you loose those rights. If you commit atrocities that affect the state or the well being of other citizens you loose those rights. Let the government prove how a consexual relationship among two adults of sound mind is a threat to the state or other citizens.

53 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by MrKnowitall: 12:18pm On Aug 01, 2014
Descartes: Uganda is a Western puppet, that can not happen in Nigeria angry

It will happen in Nigeria, it's only a matter of time.

22 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Descartes: 12:21pm On Aug 01, 2014
MrKnowitall:

Let's watch and see. cool

14 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by 1Book(m): 12:21pm On Aug 01, 2014
.. To hell with the supreme court & their paymaster (western word)....What is bad is bad, Goddamn it!...

52 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by overhypedsteve(m): 12:22pm On Aug 01, 2014
Africa NO! Mandela would never have allowed a white man to violate his private orifice. Azikiwe wouldnt, nkrumah wouldnt, but why is it that after this men have worked so hard to set us free we still remain captives deep within and now we sacrifice our buttholes to proclaim our submission. Indeed "#AFRICA NO"

11 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Sealeddeal(m): 12:23pm On Aug 01, 2014
the ruling is in order.
I only hope it was not done to pacify the West.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by MrKnowitall: 12:23pm On Aug 01, 2014
I guess these Uganda people are not as barbaric and primitive as my original assistment. Perhaps they are now beginning to exit the dark ages and enter into the 21st century.

31 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by nerodenero: 12:24pm On Aug 01, 2014
Foreign aid is connected to this reversal!Africa needs true independence that will liberate us in totality.

16 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by blooddykiller: 12:26pm On Aug 01, 2014
MrKnowitall: I guess these Uganda people are not as barbaric and primitive as my original assistment. Perhaps they are now beginning to exit the dark ages and enter into the 21st century.

But i guess the yankess you people praises baned polygamy

Keep living in inferiority complex

71 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by MrKnowitall: 12:29pm On Aug 01, 2014
blooddykiller:

Depends on the state. If you go to a state like Utah, you can have as many wives as you want.

7 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Sealeddeal(m): 12:37pm On Aug 01, 2014
blooddykiller:

this is not about Yankee. It is about Human right.

6 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Nobody: 12:38pm On Aug 01, 2014
In wizkid's voice. Broke people thought they have an opinion.

4 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Rufex07(m): 1:23pm On Aug 01, 2014
polygamy should also be allowed in the western world since it also affects human right violation. Hypocrites!

50 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by DonXavi(m): 1:59pm On Aug 01, 2014
Symphony007: there are limits. If you commit murder, you loose those rights. If you commit atrocities that affect the state or the well being of other citizens you loose those rights. Let the government prove how a consexual relationship among two adults of sound mind is a threat to the state or other citizens.
And how do you see it if I go to the US and get myself involved in bigamy because it is practiced where I come from? Would that still be within the limits of exercising my human rights?

20 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Energito11: 2:04pm On Aug 01, 2014
Hmm
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Nobody: 2:06pm On Aug 01, 2014
NICE.WHEN WILL NIGERIANS\AFRICANS LEARN THAT WHAT TWO ADULTS CHOOSE TO DO IN THEIR BEDROOM IS NONE OF THEIR BIZ.
WE AS AS AFRICANS HAVE BIGGER PROBLEMS FACING US E.G CORRUPTION.IF WE COULD PERSECUTE CORRUPT POLITICIANS THE SAME WAY WE PERSECUTE GAYS AFRICA WILL BE A BETTER PLACEwink

AND BY THE WAY DO U THINK IMPRISONING GAYS WILL MAKE THEM CHANGEOR DO U THINK LYNCHING THEM WILL MAKE THEM CHANGE

AND TO THOSE SAYING BEING GAY IS UNAFRICAN AND USING BIBLE\QURAN TO JUSTIFY THE CLAIM,PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THAT CHRISTAINITY AND ISLAM IS ALSO UNAFRICAN tongue

35 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Bashirfuntua(m): 2:08pm On Aug 01, 2014
Nigeria will also reverse the law. Africa when i we having our full independent, from these satanisms in the west

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by KiKatanga: 2:16pm On Aug 01, 2014
DonXavi: And how do you see it if I go to the US and get myself involved in bigamy because it is practiced where I come from? Would that still be within the limits of exercising my human rights?

Nothing wrong with that, if you ask me -- as long you're all adults and you all consent.
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Nnewi1stSon: 2:20pm On Aug 01, 2014
gringringrin
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by twosquare(m): 2:23pm On Aug 01, 2014
MrKnowitall:

heads will roll&i hope American embassy will be prepared to jet out.

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 01, 2014
Mehnn!!!!!

I don read all the comments
All this faggotz...saying "I'm straight but we need to leave fagz" Una PAPA!!!!
Especially those US and UK based Una MAMA!!!

Advice:if u are gay, just get a babe, put a vibrator in kitten and sex her bumbum.
At least e beta pass ur fellow guy

Nigeria sabi over do everything, Christianity we do am pass west wey bring am, Corruption we do am pass west, chai Faggotry only God knws

Finest boy said so.

6 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Nobody: 2:28pm On Aug 01, 2014
*Fold hands* Waiting for core anti-gays to invade this thread.

It's gonna be interesting. gringringrin

#Watching4rmSidelined. smiley

10 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Nobody: 2:32pm On Aug 01, 2014
This is good!

They've buckled under pressure. Human rights should be protected at all cost.

When the heat is intensified, Nigeria will follow suit.

7 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Nobody: 2:33pm On Aug 01, 2014
nerodenero: Foreign aid is connected to this reversal!Africa needs true independence that will liberate us in totality.
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH FOREIGN AIDS.AFRICA HAS BIGGER PROBLEMS TO FACE THAN WASTING TIME ON GAYS WHO DO NOT HARM THE SOCIETY

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

Taiwan Visit: China Halts Climate, Military Ties With US; Sanctions Pelosi / Ukraine's Peace Proposal To Russia Revealed / Fatou Toufah Jallow: I Was Raped By Yahya Jammeh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.