Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,689 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:26 PM

A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers (29825 Views)

Where Can L Download Lgbo Highlife Music From? / Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? / Classic Highlife Music (this Is Old School) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Lanceslot(m): 10:08am On Aug 02, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Your head dey there ;I like what I'm hearing from Chijioke Mbanefo but he has a long way to go.
But seriously, I don't think you have heard most of Osili's song because if you do you will trash that track,"chukwuma". Explore Osili music More and you will be blown away.
In my opinion, Osili is the most prolific highlife musician ever.
The man is a musical god.
He even said" Orimili kam si eje ,nmuo nmili zilum egwu"
Ezeafulukwe na Omenyi na Atani.
Gotta love him.
You mean Osili is also from Ogbaru?
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by sweetgala(m): 10:09am On Aug 02, 2014
Signed up, I like the great sounds from Ghana
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Onyiibazz: 10:11am On Aug 02, 2014
LyfeJennings:

I dont wanna be rude to U. Just stay off me. U dig? And dont lemme start trading words with U.. Mtschewwww

You quoted me first to say something that's not sensible and you expect me to clap for you. It doesnt work that way bro, next time you want to make a claim, be sure to have gathered enough substantial facts!
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by angela98(f): 10:11am On Aug 02, 2014
Please does any one knows who sang this highlife, that goes by this lyrics...

Never you marry a wakabout
If you marry a waka about o
Na so so trouble trouble trouble.

And

Love nwantintin
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Diamondpicture(m): 10:13am On Aug 02, 2014
so far so good I am a formal marketer of highlife music but currently I am out of the country so I can give you detail by detail about highlife music and who is who. point of correction emeka morroco and ozoemena nwa snugbe belongs to the ekpili genre, as long long as long as highlife is involved back in the days here is the breakdown of highlife musician in the 80s
1....osita osadebe
2....captain muddy ibe
3.....Oriental brother's
3....Ali chukwuma
4....Oliver d coque
5.....okonkwo asa alias seven seven
6.....afam ogbotogbo
7.....Mike ejeagha
8.....Sir victor uwaifo
while emeka morroco and ozoemena nwa snugbe takes the lead in ekpili
in the new face of highlife there have been many changes when it comes to highlife these days because now many musicians plays for money while others plays for fame, I am giving you a breakdown based on the highest sold artist in the market because your sales speaks who you are in the industry.
1.... chijoke mbanefo
2....Ikem mazeli
3....otigba ibe the son of capt muddy ibe
4....onyenze nwa amobi na ogidi
5....obidi the son of Ali chukwuma
6....okey jakota
7....odenigbo ogidi
the new face of ekpili music goes like these
1...morroco maduka
2...ayaka ozubulu
3...sunny kampala
4...ogbatulu eni na nteje
if you think you have a better compilation let's see yours
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Onyiibazz: 10:17am On Aug 02, 2014
angela98: Please does any one knows who sang this highlife, that goes by this lyrics...

And

Love nwantintin

Love nwantiti was sang by Nelly Uchendu if am not making mistakes, and for the first song, i cant remember the person that sang it again o, it's been really long. Chances are that it may be the same Nelly Uchendu!
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by musicwriter(m): 10:18am On Aug 02, 2014
Nice topic. I'm an independent artiste and I'm trying to do modern high life. Check out "African gbedu" on iTunes or Amazon.
Find on iTunes at: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/african-school/id891150570
Find on Amazon at: http://www.amazon.com/African-School-SON/dp/B00LFNJ4NK/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1405482934&sr=1-1&keywords=african+school
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:18am On Aug 02, 2014
LyfeJennings:

Flavour is one of the best hi life musician of modern times. He combines everything tho
It appears you think what makes a song highlife is the use of our local languages. Flavour is not a highlife entertain.

Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:22am On Aug 02, 2014
Lanceslot: You mean Osili is also from Ogbaru?

Before nko....Osii na Ogbaru pikin naa.
Ogbaru nwe egwu!
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Lanceslot(m): 10:23am On Aug 02, 2014
I love this lines by Oliver: egwum dika mmiri onyi ekwuyere m ndumodu bu ihemji bia uwam e, odihi onye mara mgbe ekere ya were muo ya na enu uwa, odihi ma mgbe oga hapu uwa laaa, onye nwere ndidi ofu ife ona acho e, akwaya ka nwa ewu ji ehunete ana anwunu nne ya ara, ina akwu mgbanu mgbanu igbu aga ebe? Onye were obi umana odiri ya mma.... This guys take time to write meaningful and inspirational songs, not the trash that we're listening to nowadays.

Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Lanceslot(m): 10:29am On Aug 02, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Before nko....Osii na Ogbaru pikin naa.
Ogbaru nwe egwu!
wow! Maybe I've listened to his songs before but this is the first time I'm seeing/hearing his name. Eziokwu ka ikuru my brother, Ogbaru nwe egwu, anybody that doubt this need to come to Ogbaru during festive period. Odenigbo ibu onye Ogbaru?
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:29am On Aug 02, 2014
I've been a highlife fan from childhood. My closeness to Femi Esho and Benson Idonije (Bona Boy's grandson) has increased my love for the genre. I love core highlife musicians/groups like Cardinal Rex Jim Lawson, Travellers Lodge Atomic "8", Victor Uwaifo, Victor Olaiya, Osita Osadebe, Paulson Kalu, Mike Ejeagha, Celestine Okwu, Eagle Brothers, Zorro Osezuwa, Bustic Kingsley Bassey, Iyang Henshaw, Sam Akpabot, Professional Seagul, Roy Chicago, Orlando Julius, Orlando Owoh, Bill Friday, Oliver de Coque, Bobby Benson, etc.

Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:30am On Aug 02, 2014
sweetgala: Signed up, I like the great sounds from Ghana
. . . like E. T. Mensah?
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:31am On Aug 02, 2014
angela98: Please does any one knows who sang this highlife, that goes by this lyrics...

And

Love nwantintin
Late Nelly Uchendu.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eyop: 10:32am On Aug 02, 2014
sweetgala: Signed up, I like the great sounds from Ghana
ramblers dance band of ghana smiley
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:39am On Aug 02, 2014
Diamondpicture: so far so good I am a formal marketer of highlife music but currently I am out of the country so I can give you detail by detail about highlife music and who is who. point of correction emeka morroco and ozoemena nwa snugbe belongs to the ekpili genre, as long long as long as highlife is involved back in the days here is the breakdown of highlife musician in the 80s
1....osita osadebe
2....captain muddy ibe
3.....Oriental brother's
3....Ali chukwuma
4....Oliver d coque
5.....okonkwo asa alias seven seven
6.....afam ogbotogbo
7.....Mike ejeagha
8.....Sir victor uwaifo
while emeka morroco and ozoemena nwa snugbe takes the lead in ekpili
in the new face of highlife there have been many changes when it comes to highlife these days because now many musicians plays for money while others plays for fame, I am giving you a breakdown based on the highest sold artist in the market because your sales speaks who you are in the industry.
1.... chijoke mbanefo
2....Ikem mazeli
3....otigba ibe the son of capt muddy ibe
4....onyenze nwa amobi na ogidi
5....obidi the son of Ali chukwuma
6....okey jakota
7....odenigbo ogidi
the new face of ekpili music goes like these
1...morroco maduka
2...ayaka ozubulu
3...sunny kampala
4...ogbatulu eni na nteje
if you think you have a better compilation let's see yours

Guy,Okonkwo asaa seven seven isn't a highlife musician
He belongs to the Ekpili genre.
Let me name some core Ekpili singers.
Now,if you don't know Nwoye Nwazodo then you still neophyte....lol
Nwoye Nwazodo was the father of Ekpili music.
Then comes Okonkwo Asaa,Obiligbo and Morroco Maduka. Ozoemena Nsugbe had "Ayaka"(Ayaka is a masqurade that only go out in the deep night,go house to house and sing for people. It's more like a cult and has some very strict rules) background before he joined Ekpili.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Diamondpicture(m): 10:40am On Aug 02, 2014
Discography of Captain Muddy Ibe
Igbo musician Muddy Ibe is little-known outside of Nigeria, but has consistently produced a series of popular LP's over the last fifteen years. Like Chief Stephen Osita Osadebe, he is from the Onitsha area. Stylistically his sound is similar, although lacking a horn section. - John Beadle 

Muddy Ibe & his Nkwa Brothers System "83"
Ndi Aghogho Erike (LP; Rogers All Stars RASLPS 044)(CD; A.J.N. AJN 40 [2004?])
[A] Ndi Aghogho Erike
[B] Ezi Omlime Amaka / Kwuo Ka Ira

Captain Muddy Ibe & his Nkwa Brothers "84"
Ka Ima Nkaa, Ima Nke Ozo? (LP; Rogers All Stars RASLPS 050)
[A] Ka Ima Nkaa, Ima Nke Ozo? / Enyenamu Nke Onye Ozo
[B] "Ide" Social Club of Nigeria

Captain Muddy Ibe & his Nkwa Brothers System "85"
Ndi Ntise (LP; Rogers All Stars RASLPS 066)
[A] Wealth Not By Force
[B] Ndi Ntise - Omelum Me Dike

Captain Muddy Ibe & his Nkwa Brothers System
Ndi Kwe Na Ndi Kwena (LP; Rogers All Stars RASLPS 077)
[A] Ndi Kwe Na Ndi Kwena / Ta Bu Gbo
[B] Nke Nji Ka / Nwayo Bu Ije

Captain Muddy Ibe & His Nkwa Brothers
Iga Edu Uzo Kpelu Azu? (LP; Rogers All Stars [Onitsha,Nigeria] RASLPS 090)
[A] Iga Ebu Uzo Kpelu Azu? / Somu Adina
[B] Mmiri Amago Ndi Egbe / Aku Na Etigbu Ilo 

Akalaka (LP; Rogers All Stars RASLPS 107)
[A] Akalaka
[B] Onye Ilo Mu Agbazina

A Ga Eni Nandu (LP; Rogers All Stars RASLPS 115)
[A] A Ga Eni Nandu
[B] Ichie Social Club of Nigeria

Onye Malu Ife Ge Ese Okwu (LP; Rogers All Stars RASLPS 122)
[A] Onye Malu Ife Ge Ese Okwu
[B] Enu Uwa Ona Agwu-Agwu?

Captain Muddy Ibe & his Nkwa Brothers International
Ogalanya Bu Omume Omume (LP; Rogers All Stars RASLPS 125)
[A] Ogalanya Bu Omume Omume
[B] People's Club of Nigeria

?
Captain Muddy Ibe & his Nkwa Brothers
Niger City Social Club (LP; Chrisbus CORLP 011)
[A] Niger City Social Club of Nigeria
[B] Ora-Abueze / Elibe Onye Ofogeli / Amam Bu Aghugho 

Anyi Ma Ndi Bu Ndi (LP; Chrisbus CORLP 014)
[A] Anyi Ma Ndi 'Bu Ndi / Bbe Ghalu Ka Nma
[B] Onye Enenina Ivey / United Peoples Social Club of Nigeria 

2004?
Ndi Kwe Na Ndi Ekwena (CD; A.J.N. AJN 16)
Ka Ima Nka, Ima Nke Ozo / Ndi Kwe Na Ndi Ekwena / Iga Ebu Uzo Kpelu Azu / Nke Nji Ka 
-- Apparently a reissue of older recordings.

2004?
Ogalanya Bu Omume Omume (CD; A.J.N. AJN 25)
Ogalanya Bu Omume Omume / Aga Eni Nandu
-- Apparently a reissue of older recordings.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:44am On Aug 02, 2014
Lanceslot: wow! Maybe I've listened to his songs before but this is the first time I'm seeing/hearing his name. Eziokwu ka ikuru my brother, Ogbaru nwe egwu, anybody that doubt this need to come to Ogbaru during festive period. Odenigbo ibu onye Ogbaru?

Mba, abu m'nwa Ide nnaa.....Umuoji in Idenmili north.
Of course, na Ogbaru ka egwu gwulu.

Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:52am On Aug 02, 2014
Mudibe is from Oba in Idenmili.
Anybody knows what genre Afam Ogbotobo music belongs to?
I can't say it is Ekpili nor Ogene. More like Igba with the little udu that makes that makes a certain sound that stands him out....I love Afam Ogbotobo music,especially" Nne anyi Jessi" .
Igbo music is rich and beautiful.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Lanceslot(m): 10:53am On Aug 02, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Mba, abu m'nwa Ide nnaa.....Umuoji in Idenmili north.
Of course, na Ogbaru ka egwu gwulu.
Udo diri nwannem, Ogbaru kam si bia.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by englishmart(m): 11:00am On Aug 02, 2014
peppyluv02: The thread is for men not boys tongue

is nairaland for men?

That means You follow your child on nairaland and your child follows you back.
You quote your child, and your child quotes you.

Tell all your highlife colleagues to go get jobs. LOL
tongue
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by penny01502: 11:04am On Aug 02, 2014
makazona: Some Highlife music Notables.

Bright Chimezie, Bobby Benson,Bongus Ikwue
Celestine Ukwu,Gentleman Mike Ejeagha
Chris Mba,Ebenezer Obey,Edu Ghana,Fatai Rolling Dollar,Fela Kuti(later to afro beat),I.k.Dairo, Ali Chukwuma,Jonezz,Mike Okorie
Ikenga Super Stars,Paulson Kalu,St.Augustine,Inyang Henshaw
King Robert Ebizimor,Lagbaja,Nelly Uchendu,Okukuseku
Oliver De Coque,Onyeka Onwenu,Orlando Owoh,Oriental Brothers
Osita Osadebe,Peacock Band,Rex Lawson, Professional Seagulls
Sikiru Ayinde Barrister,Sonny Okosun, King SunnyAde
Victor Olaiya,Victor Uwaifo, Prince NicoMbarga
Dr Sir Warrior, Babá Ken Okulolo, smart williams,Ogbogu Okonji,Lawrence Obusi,Jerry Hansen,Obuoba J.A Adofo,Mame Gyaisu.

Feel free to add yours.
peter Effiom, Udo Abiangha, Sunny Bobo, Baba Nna, Tony Obina and Christy Igbokwe.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by penny01502: 11:06am On Aug 02, 2014
makazona: Some Highlife music Notables.

Bright Chimezie, Bobby Benson,Bongus Ikwue
Celestine Ukwu,Gentleman Mike Ejeagha
Chris Mba,Ebenezer Obey,Edu Ghana,Fatai Rolling Dollar,Fela Kuti(later to afro beat),I.k.Dairo, Ali Chukwuma,Jonezz,Mike Okorie
Ikenga Super Stars,Paulson Kalu,St.Augustine,Inyang Henshaw
King Robert Ebizimor,Lagbaja,Nelly Uchendu,Okukuseku
Oliver De Coque,Onyeka Onwenu,Orlando Owoh,Oriental Brothers
Osita Osadebe,Peacock Band,Rex Lawson, Professional Seagulls
Sikiru Ayinde Barrister,Sonny Okosun, King SunnyAde
Victor Olaiya,Victor Uwaifo, Prince NicoMbarga
Dr Sir Warrior, Babá Ken Okulolo, smart williams,Ogbogu Okonji,Lawrence Obusi,Jerry Hansen,Obuoba J.A Adofo,Mame Gyaisu.

Feel free to add yours.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Diamondpicture(m): 11:14am On Aug 02, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Guy,Okonkwo asaa seven seven isn't a highlife musician
He belongs to the Ekpili genre.
Let me name some core Ekpili singers.
Now,if you don't know Nwoye Nwazodo then you still neophyte....lol
Nwoye Nwazodo was the father of Ekpili music.
Then comes Okonkwo Asaa,Obidigbo and Morroco Maduka. Ozoemena Nsugbe had "Ayaka"(Ayaka is a masqurade that only go out in the deep night,go house
to house and sing for people. It's more like a cult and has some very strict rules) background before he joined Ekpili.
I just want you to tell me the different between ekpili and highlife dater that name just 5 tracks of seven seven that you know
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:15am On Aug 02, 2014
Lanceslot: Udo diri nwannem, Ogbaru kam si bia.

Daalu rinne; Ogbaru has a culture of music and their women in the olden days use to travel far to teach people their songs and dance. They once came to my town to teach our women their dance. And Ogbaru woman can cook the hell out of NSALA soup. The Omanbala area also have beautiful music and delicious dishes. And these groups have one thing in common. They are riverine dwellers.
Kee ebe isi na Ogbaru?

Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Diamondpicture(m): 11:17am On Aug 02, 2014
Diamondpicture:
I just want you to tell me the different between ekpili and highlife dater that name just 5 tracks of seven seven that you know
the Nwoye nwozodo was just a back up singer for seven seven these topic is for men not boys
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by mkoabiola: 11:31am On Aug 02, 2014
Highlife rocks my world any day any tym
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:37am On Aug 02, 2014
Diamondpicture:

Guy,Ekpili is rooted in Igboland and Omanbala region, to be precise.
In the true form of Ekpilin no electrical instrument is involved.
Ogene isn't involved .
Ekpili is made up of original Igbo instruments like Ekpili, okpokolo, udu, ogwe and igba and ubo. These are the basic instruments. While in highlife,you have guitar, piano,snare drums,trumpet,saxophone and others. And if you add these instruments to Ekpili then you can't call it Ekpili,anymore.

These are some of Okonkwo Iyaji Asaa songs I know.
Enu Elonma.
Oluvulu.
Long John.
Chardwick.
Competition.

Uwa m'uwa asaa....I'm a big fan of his music.
Even, I'm listening to Chardwick now.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Izzyizzie(m): 11:38am On Aug 02, 2014
lynpetra: saro wiwa,Oliver d cocque,Bright chimezie
There is this ibo song of my dad i really love to listen to and i think it goes like this"Ilo ilo jo nsi,ilo umu uwa n'ilo,e ma ihe jonaricha njo n'uwa bu n'oyi gi iwe n'elo gi ilo,maka oyi gi mara iru n'azu gi..." cheesy.Love the lyrics...touching!
Translate d lyrics 2 English.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by LeoFish92(m): 11:43am On Aug 02, 2014
please guys am seriously in love with this piece of music EDIKWANSA by the peacock band group, please can anyone give me a link on where to download it, I don search google tire, please guys, am a lead guitarist and there are some solo lines I wanna learn from that song
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:55am On Aug 02, 2014
lynpetra: saro wiwa,Oliver d cocque,Bright chimezie
There is this ibo song of my dad i really love to listen to and i think it goes like this"Ilo ilo jo nsi,ilo umu uwa n'ilo,e ma ihe jonaricha njo n'uwa bu n'oyi gi iwe n'elo gi ilo,maka oyi gi mara iru n'azu gi..." cheesy.Love the lyrics...touching!

It is Celestine Ukwu's song.

Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Nobody: 12:01pm On Aug 02, 2014
You are the one who should get a life and a job.
Nl firstclass liar! Thank God you are not elling us how you gave a white girl you met in Europe 3000 dollars today...Liar! cheesy

englishmart: is nairaland for men?

That means You follow your child on nairaland and your child follows you back.
You quote your child, and your child quotes you.

Tell all your highlife colleagues to go get jobs. LOL
tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Word SHOKI Its Meaning / American Military Officers Perform Ayra Starr’s Rush (video) / Naira Marley’s 'Soapy' Ranked Most Played Song In Nigeria

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57