Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,767 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:33 PM

Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years (40206 Views)

The New Ooni Of Ife Meet With OAU Sug President / Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years [PICTURED] / Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by oluwadanie1(m): 1:00pm On Aug 02, 2014
When Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife former Student Union Government (SUG) President, Akinola Saburi was admitted in the year 2000, he had no feeling that he would not graduate on a record time.

His involvement in campus activism was what held him on campus for additional eight years.All started in 2003 when he was elected as the Secretary General of the students’ union and along the line, he became an acting president of the union when the incumbent president, Akinkunmi Olawoyin, was sick and could not perform his official duties again.

Saburi’s administration was said to be in constant face-off with the school authority on issues bordering on students’ welfare.

The union, according to investigations, always demanded from the authority to put things like accommodation problem, high tuition fee, overcrowded lecture rooms and hostels as well as policies they considered oppressive in the right perspective so as to make their studentship a worthwhile experience.

And at a time when there was no positive response, the students embarked on protests and the management fingered 13 of them as ring leaders including Saburi and consequently expelled them from school.

The students challenged their expulsion at the Federal High Court in Osogbo, Osun State, and the court ordered their reinstatement pending its judgment.

“But when we got back to school, we were advised to plead with the authority to reinstate us fully and this was granted on the condition that we must withdraw the case from the court,” Saburi, from Yewa North Local Government area of Ogun State, recalled. And after the pardon, according to him, some of them bowed out of unionism but Saburi and a few others did not.

Read full story here http://acadaloaded./2014/08/02/former-oau-sug-president-graduates-after-13years/

8 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by olamayor171(m): 2:07pm On Aug 02, 2014
oluwadanie1: When Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife former Student Union Government (SUG) President, Akinola Saburi was admitted in the year 2000, he had no feeling that he would not graduate on a record time.

His involvement in campus activism was what held him on campus for additional eight years.All started in 2003 when he was elected as the Secretary General of the students’ union and along the line, he became an acting president of the union when the incumbent president, Akinkunmi Olawoyin, was sick and could not perform his official duties again.

Saburi’s administration was said to be in constant face-off with the school authority on issues bordering on students’ welfare.

The union, according to investigations, always demanded from the authority to put things like accommodation problem, high tuition fee, overcrowded lecture rooms and hostels as well as policies they considered oppressive in the right perspective so as to make their studentship a worthwhile experience.

And at a time when there was no positive response, the students embarked on protests and the management fingered 13 of them as ring leaders including Saburi and consequently expelled them from school.

The students challenged their expulsion at the Federal High Court in Osogbo, Osun State, and the court ordered their reinstatement pending its judgment.

“But when we got back to school, we were advised to plead with the authority to reinstate us fully and this was granted on the condition that we must withdraw the case from the court,” Saburi, from Yewa North Local Government area of Ogun State, recalled. And after the pardon, according to him, some of them bowed out of unionism but Saburi and a few others did not.

Read full story here http://acadaloaded./2014/08/02/former-oau-sug-president-graduates-after-13years/
UNIONISM IS FIGHT OF THE FITTEST .......I SALUTE HIS COURAGE

33 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by otipoju(m): 2:22pm On Aug 02, 2014
Saburi ... I salute your courage ooo. Only that most of the people you fought for graduated 2005. Well done.

I hope DR 3A's self don graduate. As at 2005, he was already a Methuselah in the system.

Its not easy to fight for Human Rights ooo. takes a lot of sacrifice .

I still remember your campaign song as you toured the various halls

of residence back then and I will sing it now to honour you:

Saburi Saburi , Ayi Ayi ooo.

Saburi Saburi , Ayi Ayi ooo.

Aluta Continua ,Victoria Ascerta.

This is the voice of Edgar Davids !!!

72 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by omowolewa: 3:42pm On Aug 02, 2014
Saburi oko Faboro!

Only a man of courage can look into the eyes of the then EFCC chairman to tell him his 'anti graft war was bias' in the presence of his fearful security men.

It takes a man of charisma to drag the ever scholarly great Ife into the struggle of that season, not only the school anthem can do that. (....for learning and culture; sports and struggle......)

I can't forget scientific maximum shi-shi SMS, some called it jungle justice but beneficiaries preferred it to total expulsion.

Omo, you've paid the price ooo oo o!
Duff my hat for una

21 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Generalkorex(m): 6:07pm On Aug 02, 2014
Feel like crying

11 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by EmmaOgbu(m): 6:49pm On Aug 02, 2014
Na wao

3 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Nobody: 8:52pm On Aug 02, 2014
Awwwwwww....so happy for him right now cool tears of joy flowing thru my eyes....Great ife

23 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by CharlieMaria(m): 10:50pm On Aug 02, 2014
Why naaa undecided?

2 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by englishmart(m): 10:50pm On Aug 02, 2014
Odin and his aro colleagues no go allow am graduate Na.
Being an sug president is not an easy task. You have to be karid.

Karma fears no tomorrow.
For what must be must be.

My uncle was an SUG president for over 38 years owing to cultism . He graduated the same year with my kid sister.

9 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by omolizzy(f): 10:51pm On Aug 02, 2014
Jesus Christ! Unbelievable

1 Like

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by pxjosh(m): 10:52pm On Aug 02, 2014
.after 13years unbelievable!!! all the people he fought for have all graduated and possibly married with children. quite shameful

8 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by begwong: 10:52pm On Aug 02, 2014
Dont worry u will soon be elected NLC/TUC national president to deal with those that dealt with u grin

12 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Nobody: 10:52pm On Aug 02, 2014
Its a cruel world

1 Like

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by iceberylin(m): 10:52pm On Aug 02, 2014
cheesy grin

13years...

1 Like

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by lovingD(m): 10:52pm On Aug 02, 2014
Wetin concern me.......abeg make them open our great ife,make we resume,i don miss those sweet toto and my books jare

3 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by ismokeweed1(f): 10:53pm On Aug 02, 2014
After 13 years ? ? ? For a university your father didn't build ? ? ?

Na wao

( Modified )

Let no one compare this guy to mandela

Mandela was BORN in sa, LIVED in sa ALL HIS LIFE, MARRIED in sa, GAVE BIRTH to all his kids in sa, became a GRAND FATHER in sa, he WON NUMEROUS ACCOLADES, AWARDS and HONOURS in sa that even presidents, kings, queens and ministers came all the way to sa to visit him and his family. He eventually DIED in sa.

This guy is no where near Madiba's league

At least not yet anyway

12 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Nobody: 10:53pm On Aug 02, 2014
His position is uncommon in the fight against oppression. I also appreciate his heroism when those he fought for never give a damn. Nigerians and myself mentality

26 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Melasam(f): 10:53pm On Aug 02, 2014
dats courageous!

6 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by 234GT(m): 10:54pm On Aug 02, 2014
Fighting for the so called masses to your own detriment makes no sense.

Those you were fighting for have graduated and a good number of then have moved into the future of their dreams.

Sorry!

Maybe the governing council of the school will name a lecture theatre after him grin

3 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Enosa1(m): 10:54pm On Aug 02, 2014
congrat man. but 13yrs nor be moi-moi oh

2 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Nobody: 10:54pm On Aug 02, 2014
Well thank God you graduated but those guys you were fighting for have since graduated, settled down in life and may be bosses in some places. You cannot catch up with your mates again cos 13years is no beans and I don't think you will get a medal for this.

Again wishing you well I if you think the struggle was worth it.

3 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by jayseehe(m): 10:54pm On Aug 02, 2014
Na medicine *2

2 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by prophetone(m): 10:55pm On Aug 02, 2014
Aluta Continua taken too far.

7 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by moneybag100: 10:55pm On Aug 02, 2014
Saburi!!! What a name. You are a man! Though minus 3 years of ASUU strikes.

4 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Btruth: 10:55pm On Aug 02, 2014
Glad that fellow student appreciated you a lot, & a whole thread was dedicated to you on the nairaland. Kudos brother!

15 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by dedons: 10:55pm On Aug 02, 2014
Only a yoruba boy can spend 13yrs in the uni. sad

10 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Smartlux(m): 10:56pm On Aug 02, 2014
chai!!!! Chai!!! Chai!!! lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Nobody: 10:56pm On Aug 02, 2014

1 Like

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by MillionDollars: 10:57pm On Aug 02, 2014
This is what the yorubas' call 'OGUN AYE'

2 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by 22MM(m): 10:57pm On Aug 02, 2014
This is serious

2 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Funjosh(m): 10:57pm On Aug 02, 2014
shocked 13years shocked

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Student Moulds Bronze Sculpture Of The Ooni Of Ife For His Project (Photos) / Unrest At FUTMINNA Since Yesterday Evening (Graphic Images) / Charterhouse: Why We Charge ₦42M Fees For Primary School Pupils — Lagos School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.