Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,456 members, 7,770,130 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:06 AM

13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough (21520 Views)

Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri / 13 Things Only A Lagos Entrepreneur Will Understand / What Are The Most Important Things To Know About Nigerians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by Denko2721987(m): 7:04pm On Aug 02, 2014
We’ve all gone through hard times. And we all get through them. However, some get through them better than others. So what is their secret? Most of it has to do with attitude. Here are 13 things to remember when life gets rough:

1. What is, is.
Buddha’s famous saying tells us: “It is your resistance to ‘what is’ that causes your suffering.” Think about that for a minute. It means that our suffering only occurs when we resist how things are. If you can change something, then take action! Change it! But if you can’t change it, then you have two choices: (1) either accept it and let go of the negativity, or (2) make yourself miserable by obsessing over it.

2. It’s only a problem if you think it’s a problem.
Many times, we are our own worst enemy. Happiness is really dependent on perspective. If you think something is a problem, then your thoughts and emotions will be negative. But if you think it’s something you can learn from, then suddenly, it’s not a problem anymore.

3. If you want things to change, you need to start with changing yourself.
Your outer world is a reflection of your inner world. Don’t you know people whose lives are chaotic and stressful? And isn’t that largely because they feel chaotic inside? Yes, it is. We like to think that changing our circumstances will change us. But we have it backwards—we need to change ourselves first before our circumstances will change.

4. There is no such thing as failure—only learning opportunities.
You should just wipe the word “failure” right out of your vocabulary. All great people who have ever achieved anything have “failed” over and over. In fact, I think it was Thomas Edison who said something like, “I did not fail at inventing the light bulb, I just first found 99 ways that it didn’t work.” Take your so-called “failures” and learn something from them. Learn how to do it better next time.

5. If you don’t get something you want, it just means something better is coming.
That’s hard to believe sometimes, I know. But it’s true. Usually, when you look back at your life, you will be able to see why it was actually a good thing that something didn’t work out. Maybe the job you didn’t get would have made you spend more time away from your family, but the job you did get was more flexible. Just have faith that everything happens exactly the way it’s supposed to.

6. Appreciate the present moment.
This moment will never come again. And there is always something precious about every moment. So don’t let it pass you by! Soon it will just be a memory. Even moments that don’t seem happy can be looked upon as something that you might miss someday. As the country song by Trace Adkins says, “You’re gonna miss this…you’re gonna want this back. You’re gonna wish these days hadn’t gone by so fast….you may not know this now, but you’re gonna miss this…”

7. Let go of desire.
Most people live with “attached mind.” What this means is that they attach themselves to a desire, and when they don’t get it, their emotions plummet into negativity. Instead, try to practice “detached mind.” That means that when you want something, you will still be happy whether you get it or not. Your emotions remain happy or neutral.

8. Understand and be grateful for your fears.
Fear can be a great teacher. And overcoming fears can also make you feel victorious. For example, when I was in college, I feared public speaking (one of the top 3 fears of all humans). So I find it humorous now that not only do I speak in front of a group every day by being a college professor, I also teach public speaking! Overcoming fears just takes practice. Fear is really just an illusion. It’s optional.

9. Allow yourself to experience joy.
Believe it or not, I know way too many people who don’t allow themselves to have fun. And they don’t even know how to be happy. Some people are actually addicted to their problems and the chaos in them so much that they wouldn’t even know who they are without them. So try to allow yourself to be happy! Even if it’s just for a small moment, it’s important to focus on joy, not your hardships.

10. Don’t compare yourself to other people.
But if you do compare yourself, compare yourself with people who have it worse than you. Unemployed? Be grateful that you live in a country that gives unemployment compensation, because most people in the world live on less that $750 a year. So you don’t look like Angelina Jolie? Well, I bet there are more people who don’t than do. And you are probably way better looking than than you think. Focus on that.

11. You are not a victim.
You need to get out of your own way. You are only a “victim” of your own thoughts, words and actions. No one “does” something to you. You are the creator of your own experience. Take personal responsibility and realize that you can get out of your hard times. You just need to start with changing your thoughts and actions. Abandon your victim mentality and become victorious. From victim to VICTOR!

12. Things can—and do—change.
“And this too shall pass” is one of my favorite sayings. When we are stuck in a bad situation, we think that there is no way out. We think nothing will ever change. But guess what? It will! Nothing is permanent except death. So get out of the habit of thinking that things will always be this way. They won’t. But you do need to take some sort of action for things to change. It won’t magically happen all on its own.

13. Anything is possible.
Miracles happen every day. Really—they do. I wish I had enough space to write about all the miraculous things that have happened to people I know—from healing stage 4 cancer naturally to having their soul mate appear out of nowhere. Trust me: it happens all the time. You just need to believe it does. Once you do, you have won the battle.

Source:- http://themindunleashed.org/2014/07/13-things-remember-life-gets-rough.html

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by Mrval20(m): 7:18pm On Aug 02, 2014
Interesting post, thanks.
Lord help me, number 10 is for me - Don't compare yourself to other people.

11 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by Burger01(m): 7:33pm On Aug 02, 2014
Hmm hmm! Life tough no be small..

No.12.. Things can and do change.... The only constant thing in life is 'change'... I always believe in that. In my life, things change for good..

2 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by dryakson(m): 7:36pm On Aug 02, 2014
Nice post
No. 13 is for me
Anything is possible

4 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by onome710(m): 7:53pm On Aug 02, 2014
Good One!

1 Like

Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by nairamaverick(m): 8:14pm On Aug 02, 2014
awesome write up

1 Like

Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by Nobody: 10:09pm On Aug 02, 2014
Thanks op, this really made my day.
Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 06, 2014
Impressive! Here goes mine. smiley
- When life gives you pepper turn it into pepper soup.

9 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by xp17(m): 5:24am On Aug 11, 2014
when the going gets tough, don't let the tough gets going. all you need is to re-strategize.

survival of the fittest and only the strongest would survive... how can we survive when the government is shooting our a'ss

2 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by LMAyedun(m): 5:25am On Aug 11, 2014
Here is mine :

When life gets rough, life still goes on but with greater friction - Never give up.
Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by GoldStandard: 5:25am On Aug 11, 2014
@op, that one na your own! When the going gets tough for me, I sit down & take a plate of Afang soup with correct garri before I get going again!wink >;(e get anything wey rough for life pass the garri wey I want chop this 6am so??gringringrin

On a serious note, #PearlsOfWisdom thanks op! cool

1 Like

Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by sholay2011(m): 5:26am On Aug 11, 2014
Hmmm ...nice.

Here's mine:

"The bad news is- nothing lasts forever; the good news is also- nothing lasts forever" .

7 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by overhypedsteve(m): 5:29am On Aug 11, 2014
G

1 Like

Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by eleojo23: 5:29am On Aug 11, 2014
Don't let failure weigh you down. Life is not a competition. Let the success of others be a source of inspiration rather than a ground for competition. You define your life your own way, one step at a time..

4 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by Complexalfa(m): 5:31am On Aug 11, 2014
hmm
Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by KeMeTRocky(m): 5:31am On Aug 11, 2014
sh1t is pretty true..

but i aint gon' follow this sh1t though..
Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by Ezedon(m): 5:31am On Aug 11, 2014
It only takes Gods grace to pass through hard times

21 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by maxjax(m): 5:32am On Aug 11, 2014
thanks OP ....no 5 hit me
Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by Aromas: 5:33am On Aug 11, 2014
Noted!!!
Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by madridguy(m): 5:33am On Aug 11, 2014
Nice write up.
Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by Dygeasy(m): 5:39am On Aug 11, 2014
Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by Nobody: 5:44am On Aug 11, 2014
are you booking space lol grin
Dygeasy: .
Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by Dygeasy(m): 5:46am On Aug 11, 2014
Ladystewie: are you booking space lol grin
lol! I am. smiley

Good morning.
Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by yahrant140(m): 5:52am On Aug 11, 2014
@ op you inspired the youth!keep it up
Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by KeMeTRocky(m): 5:53am On Aug 11, 2014
yahrant140: @ op you inspired the youth!keep it up
nigga no he didnt..

4 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by chymystique(f): 5:58am On Aug 11, 2014
Inspiring!.. I love nos 4, 5 and 13.. No 13 is still something am trying to overcome.. #noteasy o cool

1 Like

Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by Adenugay(m): 6:01am On Aug 11, 2014
hmmm
Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by akinrin: 6:03am On Aug 11, 2014
Exactly what i needed. Thanks
Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by dridowu: 6:05am On Aug 11, 2014
Ezedon: It only takes Gods grace to pass through hard times
Yes , you are right but don't forget that God only help those who help themselves .
@topic, nice way to start the week with.
Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by chiefololade: 6:07am On Aug 11, 2014
Another life manual
Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by YoursGEJ(m): 6:07am On Aug 11, 2014
yahrant140: @ op you inspired the youth!keep it up

which youth are you talking about? The president of nigerian youth association is over 50 years and the man don marry, born children and even get grandchildren. So if you are talking about youth, please clarify

2 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Remember When Life Gets Rough by kenex4ever(m): 6:39am On Aug 11, 2014
[6] This moment will never come again, and there is something precious about every moment.
You shall MISS this moment one day, better enjoy it now. ILOVETHIS. Even though u r jobless n hungry now, when u get employed u shall miss the freedom and relaxation in this moment. PEACE!

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples / What Happens When You Whistle At Night? / Do You Smoke Igbo? (Marijuana Or Weed)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.